• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:24
CEST 10:24
KST 17:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9110 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 118

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 116 117 118 119 120 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 22:21:30
February 21 2012 22:20 GMT
#2341
I have a Windows Mobile application I'm working on and I want to connect to a SQL Server database (housed within SQL Server 2008 that's located on another machine). The problem is there doesn't seem to be (or at least I can't find) any way to do this. There's no System.Data to use, nor is there a way to add such a reference. It seems like connecting to a database should definitely be possible for a phone application to do, though, which is why it seems odd that I can't find anything on how to do it.

Really what I'm looking for is some kind of mobile equivalent for SQLConnection and SQLCommand. Any thoughts?
twitch.tv/cratonz
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19260 Posts
February 21 2012 22:22 GMT
#2342
Your googlefu is weak...
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
noonoo
Profile Joined February 2012
3 Posts
February 21 2012 22:23 GMT
#2343
--- Nuked ---
MiyaviTeddy
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada697 Posts
February 22 2012 19:10 GMT
#2344
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with a function in c.

I'm trying to make a function that takes an array of characters (basically a string/phrase) and count how many words out of it. A "word" is defined to be a sequence of non-null, non-whitespace characters, separated from other words by whitespace.

This is what I have right now.


int words( char sentence[]){
int wrd = 0;
int i, j;

for (i = 0; sentence[i] != '\0'; i++){

if(sentence[i] != '\t' && sentence[i] != ' ' && sentence[i] != '\n' && sentence[i] != '\0'){

while(sentence[i] != '\t' && sentence[i] != ' ' && sentence[i] != '\n' && sentence[i] != '\0'){

i++;

}
wrd++;
}

}

return wrd;
}



right now I'm using the phrase " R2! \t\t Where \n\n are you?" (exactly as typed) and I get 5 words when there is only 4 (R2!, Where, are, you?. Yes they all count).

Help?
Aiyeeeee
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
February 22 2012 19:30 GMT
#2345
I think at the last word, your while loop puts i at the /0. Then your for loop does the i++ instruction after executing its block. So now your sentence[i] is the next byte in memory after your string. I am not sure though.
And all is illuminated.
LukeNukeEm
Profile Joined February 2012
31 Posts
February 22 2012 19:32 GMT
#2346
Your iteration is off. Imagine the sentence "abc", which is {'a', 'b', 'c', '\0'}. Your inner while-loop increases i, until it reaches '\0'.
Then your for-loop increases i again, and you are in a place where you shouldn't be.
supereddie
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands151 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 19:43:07
February 22 2012 19:41 GMT
#2347
try something like this (much easier)
int wrd = 0, i = 0;
while(sentence[i] != '\0')
if (sentence[i++] == ' ') wrd++;

if(i > 0) wrd++;

Basically, number of words equals number of spaces + 1
Do some checking of course to prevent more than one sequential space being counted as more than one word.
"Do not try to make difficult things possible, but make simple things simple." - David Platt on Software Design
darthfoley
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States8004 Posts
February 22 2012 19:53 GMT
#2348
As a COMPLETE noob in this subject, i'm thankful for all of you who do the things i find too confusing to try! <3
watch the wall collide with my fist, mostly over problems that i know i should fix
Holy_AT
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria978 Posts
February 22 2012 19:58 GMT
#2349
On February 23 2012 04:41 supereddie wrote:
try something like this (much easier)
int wrd = 0, i = 0;
while(sentence[i] != '\0')
if (sentence[i++] == ' ') wrd++;

if(i > 0) wrd++;

Basically, number of words equals number of spaces + 1
Do some checking of course to prevent more than one sequential space being counted as more than one word.


I dont think it is a good approach, you could have multiple white spaces between words and your method would not work. A good approach is to count the switches. Just tore the before value and if the before value == " " and the actual value is something else then " " then he should count.
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 19:59:13
February 22 2012 19:58 GMT
#2350
On the assumption that you don't want to just use some library that splits strings as this is for some assignment, it's probably easiest just to do a 1-pass through of the string and keep track of whether you're in a word or not.


int isInWord = 0;
for (i = 0; sentence[i] != '\0'; i++)
{
if (IsWhiteSpace(sentence[i]))
{
if (isInWord)
{
wrd++;
}

isInWord = false;
}
else
{
isInWord = true;
}
}

if (isInWord)
{
wrd++;
}



Generally increasing the for-looped variable inside the loop itself is something you should be very careful/wary about doing . Also note that you never used 'j' anywhere from what I can see.

e: IsWhiteSpace would be a function you'd write that has the characters that for the sake of this you're considering whitespace...
Holy_AT
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria978 Posts
February 22 2012 20:07 GMT
#2351
sentence[i] != '\0'


I am more the C# guy, but isnt that a bad way to query for the end of an array ?

isnt there some sentence.count or something like that to get the array length ? And stop the loop if i >array.length ?
LukeNukeEm
Profile Joined February 2012
31 Posts
February 22 2012 20:12 GMT
#2352
In plain C no, there isn't.
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 20:21:35
February 22 2012 20:14 GMT
#2353
On February 23 2012 05:07 Holy_AT wrote:
Show nested quote +
sentence[i] != '\0'


I am more the C# guy, but isnt that a bad way to query for the end of an array ?

isnt there some sentence.count or something like that to get the array length ? And stop the loop if i >array.length ?

If it's just a char pointer array thingy you don't know what the length is without iterating until you find null. There are functions to do that for you obviously, but for classroom assignments I'd be wary about using library functions unless you know you are allowed to use them.

For C# it's a trivial one liner with sentence.Split anyway FWIW . return sentence.Split(new[] { ' ', '\n', '\0', '\t' }, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries).Length;
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
February 22 2012 20:20 GMT
#2354
damn you high level languages!
And all is illuminated.
MiyaviTeddy
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada697 Posts
February 22 2012 20:35 GMT
#2355
Happy birthday Luke!

Thanks guys for the advice. As for that j, it was used for a different algorithm that I had but it didn't end up the way I wanted it to be.

I managed to get the function working, onward to the second function (which I think I'll need some help...).
Aiyeeeee
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
February 24 2012 04:33 GMT
#2356
Wrote another blog post on game programming in C! Thought you guys here would find it interesting: link.
NoSlack
Profile Joined November 2010
United States112 Posts
February 24 2012 17:15 GMT
#2357
On February 24 2012 13:33 CecilSunkure wrote:
Wrote another blog post on game programming in C! Thought you guys here would find it interesting: link.


Awesome read thanks!

I'm afraid that learning on my own just isn't working, I'm going to need some college classes. I need to be around people that are doing the same thing. As an infantryman in the army, there aren't too many people around me interested in programming

Some day...
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
February 24 2012 17:46 GMT
#2358
I have a goal with a website I'm in charge of. It's for a family business. I dipped in HTML back in 04 and 05, but what I want to do is currently beyond my knowledge. In otherwords, I don't know where to look to start learning what I need -- or, perhaps, who to hire.

Is anyone in this good community interested in a little web development side project, or pointing me in the right direction?

Details
+ Show Spoiler +
Currently, the horse pedigrees look like this.
[image loading]

That, my brother said, is the absolute best we can do. I know he's wrong. I'd like the pedigree like this:
[image loading]

With Tooltips Like This:
[image loading]

So, what's the best way to go about creating this? Ideally, it can work inside of our wordpress. Those mockups are my work, so graphics is not so much a problem, just the technical side of things.

Thanks guys.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
February 24 2012 19:50 GMT
#2359
On February 25 2012 02:15 NoSlack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2012 13:33 CecilSunkure wrote:
Wrote another blog post on game programming in C! Thought you guys here would find it interesting: link.


Awesome read thanks!

I'm afraid that learning on my own just isn't working, I'm going to need some college classes. I need to be around people that are doing the same thing. As an infantryman in the army, there aren't too many people around me interested in programming

Some day...

Hey glad you liked it! Bump that thread if you get a chance, would love more people to see and potentially get into programming.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
February 24 2012 19:55 GMT
#2360
On February 25 2012 02:46 FoxyMayhem wrote:
I have a goal with a website I'm in charge of. It's for a family business. I dipped in HTML back in 04 and 05, but what I want to do is currently beyond my knowledge. In otherwords, I don't know where to look to start learning what I need -- or, perhaps, who to hire.

Is anyone in this good community interested in a little web development side project, or pointing me in the right direction?

Details
+ Show Spoiler +
Currently, the horse pedigrees look like this.
[image loading]

That, my brother said, is the absolute best we can do. I know he's wrong. I'd like the pedigree like this:
[image loading]

With Tooltips Like This:
[image loading]

So, what's the best way to go about creating this? Ideally, it can work inside of our wordpress. Those mockups are my work, so graphics is not so much a problem, just the technical side of things.

Thanks guys.


That is extremely easy to achieve, especially if the content is static and you don't plan on changing that often. All you need is to read tutorials on HTML and CSS.

Basically what you have there is a table, so learn how to fancy the tables with CSS and you are ready to go.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Prev 1 116 117 118 119 120 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1155
BeSt 324
Soma 239
Soulkey 233
sorry 156
Larva 101
Mind 67
Bale 24
ZerO 23
soO 23
[ Show more ]
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
scan(afreeca) 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm202
League of Legends
JimRising 579
Counter-Strike
edward123
Other Games
summit1g8948
singsing943
Coldzera 691
WinterStarcraft672
Sick197
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick712
BasetradeTV218
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2230
League of Legends
• Jankos1411
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 36m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 36m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 36m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.