• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:29
CEST 23:29
KST 06:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20269Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8958 users

[Game] Osu! - Page 84

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 370 Next
SexyBimbo
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany89 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 22:34:24
November 08 2011 22:32 GMT
#1661
Well make sure they aren't rated 5.0, I'd suggest taking on 4.75 or 4.8 star maps. You can see the exact difficulty on the beatmap page on the right side of the statistics. Other than that, just practice. You will fail so hard for awhile, but it's all about gaining speed and recognizing patterns. Also, if you are getting to confused you can find a simplistic skin that reduces eye strain and removes the 300's. This game rewards raw talent and raw practice time, there really aren't any special tricks that I'm aware of.

The last trend that I've heard of before I quit osu! after a year of playing, was that most people do in fact use 300 sprites, but smaller ones. Also a good tip I can give you to improve accuracy: single tap if you can (you automatically start doing that when you play a super high bpm map that has a lot of short streams or tripples) and maybe use a skin that features a colored rim on the hitcircleoverlay, so you have an easier time seeing when the approach circle matches it in size.

As to getting better: Get a good mechanical keyboard, use a graph tablet and use the full area. Play in windowmode, use a skin that is very lean. Disable all the fancy graphics. Delete storyboards and backgrounds. Then practise a ton. You can focus on specific things one at a time like high AR, high BPM streams, tripples, jumps. Doing that you will learn all the patterns automatically. Try to play only using hardrock for a week or two, will make you a lot better.

And lastly as somebody who has seen all of this game and spent a fair amount of time being one of the very best players in the German community I want to add this: osu! does reward raw practice, yes. It does also reward good gaming equipment. It does not reward talent in any way shape or form. I have yet to come across a player who is still bad after 20 000 playcount who uses good equipment at the same time.
I know of infinity people who are really stupid and have always been very bad, that got good in the end through the power of their equipment and through sheer practice. A fool, who disagrees. Cookiezi said it himself, his admittedly sick skills all stem from his equipment and his practicetime. That guy has more than 200 000 playcount if you count his variuos multiaccs. There is no reason at all why any given person wouldn't be as good if he or she did what Cookiezi has.

One other issue I find to be very annoying is the super immature community. In an entire year of playing osu! I've only come across like 20 people who are not retarded and are fun to hang out with. There are so many kids flooding the game, public chatrooms are full of crap nowadays =(
But you can find really nice guys in multiplayer lobbies! Don't be shy to talk to people if you are in an enjoyable lobby, I've made quite a few good friends like that

osu! is still a great game, super fun. Can tax you, but you can also relax if you like to. I wish you all a lot of fun!

SB
Why do ppl do this; does my name look anything like Kiwikaki?? - Kawaiirice
aycheff
Profile Joined February 2010
United States329 Posts
November 08 2011 23:52 GMT
#1662
Man that pretty intense. Never went to such means to set up my osu! lol
hf // yeahyeahyeahhh // Y.S-Y
Camail
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1030 Posts
November 09 2011 00:01 GMT
#1663
Honestly, you can't completely ignore talent. It's inherently a factor that makes you good at something, but It think it would be more accurate to say that it is not as significant as practice. Also, tablets aren't a necessity. If we really want to quote cookiezi to prove our points, I've read that he doesn't see using a tablet as a necessity, and that he has seen elite players use mouse/keyboard.
http://i.imgur.com/IPxgv.png
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 00:38:21
November 09 2011 00:33 GMT
#1664
lol I play osu reasonably well on a terrible laptop keyboard with chiclet keys

Given a choice I'd go back to my old laptop with scissor switch keys though, I can't stand this one
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
November 09 2011 07:06 GMT
#1665
Yay, I don't have many SS so I'm quite happy. The ending is a pain to FC for me so I had to retry so many times.

[image loading]
( ・´ー・`)
SexyBimbo
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany89 Posts
November 09 2011 14:04 GMT
#1666
Honestly, you can't completely ignore talent. It's inherently a factor that makes you good at something, but It think it would be more accurate to say that it is not as significant as practice. Also, tablets aren't a necessity. If we really want to quote cookiezi to prove our points, I've read that he doesn't see using a tablet as a necessity, and that he has seen elite players use mouse/keyboard.

There is a single person I know of who does not have what it takes to become really good at osu!. That person has very poor eyesight. Any person that is not in some way disabled can become a top player. osu! doesn't reward being smart or creative.
There are a few top players using mouses. Players like Sprosive, Siliva, Mesita, Redo, Tana to name a few. Just compare the amount of good players with a tablet to the amount of good players without one, you will see the difference. I've asked quite a few of them myself.

I'm pretty damn convinced of what I say because I've been dealing with these topics every day for many months and I have gotten to know a ton of people who have all experienced a lot of this first hand, not to mention my own experiences.

I played osu! with my mx518 and a 14$ keyboard and that is enough for a long time, but once you want to compete with the top players that kind of stuff does not cut it anymore unless you're willing to go up to like 50k playcount before you come close.


greetings,

SB
Why do ppl do this; does my name look anything like Kiwikaki?? - Kawaiirice
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
November 09 2011 15:49 GMT
#1667
Of course anybody has the potential to become really good at osu given enough time and practice, but to deny that the game comes easier to some people than to others is just silly.

Could I be as good as Cyclone? Probably, if I played a lot. But osu has always come pretty naturally to him; he has a ridiculously low playcount and was destroying all of the hard maps at the time like Marisa within a month or two of even joining the game.
Camail
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1030 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 16:17:22
November 09 2011 16:16 GMT
#1668
I'm not as concerned with frequency as I am with possibility regarding mouse/keyboard. Also, smart and creative are not talent so I don't know why you brought them up.
And honestly there is probably a reason why those with a high play count are good. They play a lot to get better, and if they get better quickly they play more because they enjoy it more. At a certain threshold the increase of skill diminishes greatly, but because they've become better in a certain amount of plays, they keep playing.
On the other hand, if you are terrible at osu! and don't get better, you certainly won't put the time in to become the top .01% in the world, so how would we know that they could overcome their lack of talent? I haven't had more than 7k plays, but I've seen a number of people with a higher play count who are worse than me, and a number of people with a lower play count who are better than me.

In the end the numbers have a natural bias that make them statistically dubious. But this discussion is meaningless, all I was trying to do was help a guy out who was having trouble improving.
http://i.imgur.com/IPxgv.png
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 08:44:40
November 10 2011 08:32 GMT
#1669
yay, first time passing this map... it's brutal for mouseonly players

[image loading]

edit: well i beat my score but i downgraded to C rank lol

[image loading]

edit: better accuracy, but i'll never beat my C

[image loading]
( ・´ー・`)
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
November 10 2011 21:51 GMT
#1670
Congrats on your first ranked map qilliam~
Camail
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1030 Posts
November 10 2011 23:00 GMT
#1671
+1 for qilliam on that map. Had to turn the video off because it made me dizzy, but its a pretty fun map.

As for progress....I am sloooowly becoming better, but its more of a psychological thing for me. I can't just play, and my mouse feels weird i my hand after a of minutes of playing. Aggravating.
http://i.imgur.com/IPxgv.png
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
November 11 2011 04:44 GMT
#1672
Thanks guys. I don't really like that map i made anymore but oh wellz lol.

also [image loading]

Gonna give tablet another try for awhile.
( ・´ー・`)
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 07:12:04
November 11 2011 07:08 GMT
#1673
I don't like my first map anymore either lol

At the time you think it's great but then once you map more and play more maps you learn how to make your maps better and better.

Even after 2+ years of mapping on and off I have yet to make a map I'm truly pleased with and feel is flawless; I always feel like something is missing after I finish a beatmap. That's probably a good thing though because if I made what I felt is a perfect beatmap I'd probably just quit right there because nothing would top it.
wooozy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3813 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 11:51:47
November 11 2011 11:42 GMT
#1674
sad, i had an SS on qilliam's map before it got ranked and i can't do it again. grats on breaking rank 1000 though =p

edit: yeah i'm convinced that SS was a fluke. best i could do at 4am and not having been playing the past week

[image loading]
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
November 11 2011 23:10 GMT
#1675
I didn't think I could FC this. I'm so happy :D

[image loading]

I'm sticking with mouseonly for a bit longer because canada team is apparently holding some tryout thing for owc... because you know... there are a lot of good canadian players... apparently :l
( ・´ー・`)
Logginurkeyz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States375 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-12 20:45:09
November 12 2011 20:08 GMT
#1676
So I've been practicing in the fashion Xafnia helped me out with- and I just did this: so close to FC, 100'd 3 sliders so I didn't get the Perfect =0\

[image loading]

Just did this, too =0p Broke my combo on a few sliders, I had one play with a 556 combo and 1 miss which ended up as an A with a higher score, but oh well =0\

[image loading]
Jemag... Jemag... you're like an alcoholic telling me why you drink... you have your reasons, but it's still bad... <3 iNcontroL
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
November 14 2011 09:46 GMT
#1677
I got a 91% accuracy somehow. I hope to get an A rank soon

[image loading]

Lets keep the thread alive guys :D
( ・´ー・`)
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-14 18:18:49
November 14 2011 18:18 GMT
#1678
I haven't had more than 7k plays, but I've seen a number of people with a higher play count who are worse than me, and a number of people with a lower play count who are better than me.


I have 4600 plays and maybe 2000 of them is done by pressing retry in the next 5 to 8 seconds of song. :D Also, harder maps you play, more play counts you get. I prefer Xfire to see how much I've played osu.
as useful as teasalt
Logginurkeyz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States375 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 04:59:31
November 15 2011 00:18 GMT
#1679
I find it horribly amusing that I'm getting better accuracy with HR/HD than just plain HR on this song:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/73245

haven't FC'd it yet, still getting the map learned in HR mode


[image loading]

edit: updated score screenshot- now with 100% less NoFail!
Jemag... Jemag... you're like an alcoholic telling me why you drink... you have your reasons, but it's still bad... <3 iNcontroL
Camail
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1030 Posts
November 15 2011 02:58 GMT
#1680
I promise I will come back! It's just...skyrim...and y'know...skyrim...also a little school, but mostly skyrim.
http://i.imgur.com/IPxgv.png
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 549
ProTech139
RuFF_SC2 116
Nina 99
Liquid`TLO 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17944
firebathero 90
PianO 14
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever272
canceldota51
League of Legends
Doublelift3345
Counter-Strike
minikerr0
Super Smash Bros
PPMD40
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu912
Other Games
summit1g5339
FrodaN1244
shahzam507
ToD267
mouzStarbuck265
B2W.Neo259
C9.Mang0228
RotterdaM90
Mew2King51
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile147
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 24
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie997
• Shiphtur614
Upcoming Events
OSC
46m
Replay Cast
1h 31m
OSC
1d 1h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 12h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.