• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:24
CEST 12:24
KST 19:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)38Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8843 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 36

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 75 Next
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 17 2011 15:34 GMT
#701
^^ This had me stumped too. The best advice i can give is to read through this, it's a pretty complicated thing to explain

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Burrows

You might also want to read through their miltary guides, the site in general is fantastic
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 17 2011 19:07 GMT
#702
On June 18 2011 00:34 ChinaWhite wrote:
^^ This had me stumped too. The best advice i can give is to read through this, it's a pretty complicated thing to explain

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Burrows

You might also want to read through their miltary guides, the site in general is fantastic


Jeah, i read that already

I just forgot to set the alarm rightXD

sucks i was too lazy to set up a good militairy. Went from 72 to 30 dwarfes from one forgotten beast
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 17 2011 19:28 GMT
#703
Yeah i tend to be a bit lax on military setup too, always pay for it in blood!

on a lighter note, does anyone here use soundsense? I just watched a trailer for it and it seems quite funny, if ridiculously macabre....

Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
June 17 2011 21:45 GMT
#704
I am starting to hate this game so much. My first legendary marksdwarf enters strange mood, demands a few things I can't get and he goes crazy. That is half my military right there, he has been hunting since the beggining of the game to level his crossbow skills up and now this... ugh. Losing to huge invasions and stupid legendary monsters is fun, losing your best warrior to a strange mood isn't.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 21:56:54
June 17 2011 21:55 GMT
#705
On June 18 2011 06:45 Scipaeus121212 wrote:
I am starting to hate this game so much. My first legendary marksdwarf enters strange mood, demands a few things I can't get and he goes crazy. That is half my military right there, he has been hunting since the beggining of the game to level his crossbow skills up and now this... ugh. Losing to huge invasions and stupid legendary monsters is fun, losing your best warrior to a strange mood isn't.

I usually wall them in and let them die if I can't get them the materials. Besides that you just hope to survive without them. I remember I had a dwarf go on a kitty killing rampage then everyone was upset their cats died and they killed each other . Seeing little kids beating cats and other people to death was horrific.
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
June 17 2011 21:59 GMT
#706
I've been intrigued by this game for years and even tried it a few times but have been intimidated by its steep learning curve.

I'll just stick to reading stuff like awesome stories like the Boatmurdered succession campaign. Someday I'll learn how to play...
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 17 2011 22:08 GMT
#707
Boatmurdered was amazing - I have a problem with alligators at the moment rather similar to the elephants
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 23:51:13
June 17 2011 23:51 GMT
#708
Anyone ever have dorfs seemingly refuse to do certain things? I really need more barrels, and I have 6 dwarfs out of 17 with "woodcrafting" turned on. Two seperate carpenters workshops are filled with commands, but no one does them. Every dwarf with wood crafing sits idle.

I don't get it, o.o
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 23:58:42
June 17 2011 23:58 GMT
#709
making barrels is carpenting i believe.

also, use a manager, that's way easier than having to manage all tasks yourself. you just go u->m->q->type in "wood barr" -> enter -> 30 -> enter, and the rest is done by itself. the manager even takes care of renewing the command if your carpenters cancel them because you run out of logs in between.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 18 2011 00:18 GMT
#710
On June 18 2011 08:58 MisterD wrote:
making barrels is carpenting i believe.

also, use a manager, that's way easier than having to manage all tasks yourself. you just go u->m->q->type in "wood barr" -> enter -> 30 -> enter, and the rest is done by itself. the manager even takes care of renewing the command if your carpenters cancel them because you run out of logs in between.

Hahaha, durrrr carpentry. oops, lol

But you are a hero with that manager advice. I never put those to use! lol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 18 2011 01:18 GMT
#711
On June 18 2011 06:59 fishjie wrote:
I've been intrigued by this game for years and even tried it a few times but have been intimidated by its steep learning curve.

I'll just stick to reading stuff like awesome stories like the Boatmurdered succession campaign. Someday I'll learn how to play...
It's not as hard to get into now. Firstly, there's the lazy newb pack. Also there are like a billion tutorials and videos that teach you how to play. I recommend giving it a go. There's a feature length video by Captain Duck that is quite good. If you just copy what he does you'll be off to a good start :D It's two and a half hours haha.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 18 2011 03:01 GMT
#712
On June 18 2011 06:55 Serpico wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 18 2011 06:45 Scipaeus121212 wrote:
I am starting to hate this game so much. My first legendary marksdwarf enters strange mood, demands a few things I can't get and he goes crazy. That is half my military right there, he has been hunting since the beggining of the game to level his crossbow skills up and now this... ugh. Losing to huge invasions and stupid legendary monsters is fun, losing your best warrior to a strange mood isn't.

I usually wall them in and let them die if I can't get them the materials. Besides that you just hope to survive without them. I remember I had a dwarf go on a kitty killing rampage then everyone was upset their cats died and they killed each other . Seeing little kids beating cats and other people to death was horrific.


Also keep around some spare stuff of various materials. Trade for a few pieces of glass, some clay (dunno if this is used in moods), keep some bones/shells/etc. un-transformed. That will generally cover you for most of the strange moods.

On another note, Fortress Defense is fun, but it can be tricky/borderline unfair. Embarked on a sight and forgot to bring wood which is really hurting me, but beyond that I only have copper/silver and only had 1 caravan before my first siege which claimed 2 of my dwarves.

Also the egg industry is insane. I started with 3 hens + 1 rooster and by the following spring I had like 20-30 chickens and have harvested 30-45 eggs.
Logo
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-18 14:03:28
June 18 2011 13:54 GMT
#713
Or fail to ever strike a metal ore, and have all your dorfs using bought/stolen weapons.

There's a cave crocodile in my fortress right now, right in the main lobby. My military has it completely surrounded and unconscious, and they've been beating it 24/7 for almost a week now. Almost 200 pages of combat logs, but we can't seem to finish it off... LOL

ugh this is horrible. It interrupts every single action my dorfs try to do. I can't get anything done T_T
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 18 2011 15:38 GMT
#714
On June 18 2011 22:54 Haemonculus wrote:
Or fail to ever strike a metal ore, and have all your dorfs using bought/stolen weapons.

There's a cave crocodile in my fortress right now, right in the main lobby. My military has it completely surrounded and unconscious, and they've been beating it 24/7 for almost a week now. Almost 200 pages of combat logs, but we can't seem to finish it off... LOL

ugh this is horrible. It interrupts every single action my dorfs try to do. I can't get anything done T_T


Jeah sucks. I had something like that too with a forgotten beast. Then the goblins came, killed the beast and left again, LOL
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 18 2011 16:23 GMT
#715
On June 18 2011 22:54 Haemonculus wrote:
Or fail to ever strike a metal ore, and have all your dorfs using bought/stolen weapons.

There's a cave crocodile in my fortress right now, right in the main lobby. My military has it completely surrounded and unconscious, and they've been beating it 24/7 for almost a week now. Almost 200 pages of combat logs, but we can't seem to finish it off... LOL

ugh this is horrible. It interrupts every single action my dorfs try to do. I can't get anything done T_T


Do you not have any slashing weapons (axes, swords, etc.) Always have at least a few slashing, and probably at least a few crushing, weapons at all times otherwise some enemies you can't beat =/.

I'm currently in a fortress where I have 0 trees (all traded for, I haven't been able/had time to find the first cavern) and my only metals are galena (silver 50% lead 100%) and copper.... and I have the Fortress Defense mod. So I have my big military all in leather + copper weapons + a few silver hammers and am pretty much entirely reliant on my drawbridge pit at the front of my fort to drop my enemies down and wound them so my military can actually fight them. Fun times! Hopefully I can import some iron/steel soon and get a real military effort going.
Logo
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-18 20:15:18
June 18 2011 20:09 GMT
#716
We finally killed the crocodile. A punch to the brain finally ended it, lololol FUN

The only metal I have is 3 silver bars I got from some human traders. That was the *only* metal they brought. So I now have 3 silver swords, and the rest of the army is equipped with wooden training weapons... T_T

Mining efforts are going nuts trying to hit a metal ore somewhere... but it might not happen. Asked the next dorf caravan to bring us as much metal as possible, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

On the plus side, it's pretty badass that my militia beats troglodytes to death with their fists.

edit: We finally just struck malachite, so at least we can get some copper... but ewww far from ideal as far as metals go. At least we'll have real weapons T_T
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 18 2011 23:12 GMT
#717
I have no metal because I have no idea what I'm doing.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-19 08:35:17
June 19 2011 08:27 GMT
#718
just dig out ore, make charcoal, smelt ore and there you have metal bars needs a miner to dig out the ore, a few logs (trade or chop trees), a wood furnace plus wood burner and a metalsmiths forge (which requires an anvil you either have to bring on embark or trade later on) with a metalsmith, and that's about it.

/edit: wood burner, not carpenter obviously >.> sry
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 19 2011 08:34 GMT
#719
On June 18 2011 04:28 ChinaWhite wrote:
Yeah i tend to be a bit lax on military setup too, always pay for it in blood!

on a lighter note, does anyone here use soundsense? I just watched a trailer for it and it seems quite funny, if ridiculously macabre....



Soundsense is amazing, one of my favorite addons :D

The worldgen music is awesome, I constantly have it stuck in my head haha.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 19 2011 14:48 GMT
#720
Just lost 30 military dorfs to 5 goblin ambushers... what the fuck?
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings13
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2215
Bisu 835
Horang2 536
Jaedong 457
BeSt 376
Hyuk 343
actioN 234
firebathero 208
Zeus 184
Light 173
[ Show more ]
Leta 168
EffOrt 130
Stork 106
Soma 103
ZerO 86
Pusan 62
Sexy 60
Killer 45
Last 45
Mong 44
Shinee 41
Rush 39
Mind 38
Aegong 29
soO 27
ToSsGirL 24
hero 24
Bale 22
Sharp 16
PianO 16
sorry 15
NaDa 14
Terrorterran 13
ggaemo 11
Noble 9
JulyZerg 9
HiyA 7
Free 6
Dota 2
Fuzer 63
League of Legends
JimRising 368
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1434
shoxiejesuss955
x6flipin109
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King157
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1886
Other Games
gofns31232
singsing1699
crisheroes333
XBOCT273
DeMusliM183
ArmadaUGS103
Livibee99
QueenE43
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream240
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH298
• LUISG 29
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP8
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2261
League of Legends
• Jankos2112
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 36m
Stellar Fest
2h 36m
OSC
13h 36m
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 23h
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.