• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:47
CEST 05:47
KST 12:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8643 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 38

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 75 Next
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-21 15:38:09
June 20 2011 19:08 GMT
#741
On June 21 2011 03:58 Haemonculus wrote:
How do I get soap?

Way too many dorfs dying to infection t.t;


1. Make Ash at a Wood Furnace (Wood Burning)
2. Make Lye at an ashery (lye Making)
3. Render fat at a kitchen (from butchered animals) (Cooking)
4. Make Soap at a soap workshop with Potash + Tallow (Soap Making)

Or...

...
3. Make rock nut paste at a Quern/Millstone
4. Make a Jug that can hold liquid (glass, fired clay, glazed stone, or metal)
5. Make Rock Nut Oil at a screw press
6. Make Soap at a soap workshop with Potash + Oil

Then make a stockpile in your hospital for soap.

I'd recommend forbidding all fat and tallow from being used for cooking in your forts. Food is plentiful enough so it's best to save all of your tallow for soap.
Logo
Thehummel
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark122 Posts
June 20 2011 23:46 GMT
#742
Trying to get into DF, but after i've done some reading and such, i tried installing a graphic pack i think ( Lazy Newb Pack ) But my question is, is there a different between using Lazy Newb Pack and just playing the regular in ASCII? If so, which should i start out with/will it have any effect?
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 21 2011 01:52 GMT
#743
So at around 79 level or so, I've found a layer composed almost entirely of semi-molten rock and/or warm stone. But no matter how many detours I take or exploring tunnels I dig, I can't find any real magma!

Any way to get through this undiggable layer? I want to kick my metal industry into high gear without burning down the entire forest!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 21 2011 08:36 GMT
#744
you dont want to go through that layer!!!!!

The only way through will likely be an adamantium column leading straight to the clowns!
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 21 2011 15:10 GMT
#745
On June 21 2011 04:08 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2011 03:58 Haemonculus wrote:
How do I get soap?

Way too many dorfs dying to infection t.t;


1. Make Ash at a Wood Furnace (Wood Burning)
2. Make Potash at an ashery (Potash Making)
3. Render fat at a kitchen (from butchered animals) (Cooking)
4. Make Soap at a soap workshop with Potash + Tallow (Soap Making)

Then make a stockpile in your hospital for soap.

I'd recommend forbidding all fat and tallow from being used for cooking in your forts. Food is plentiful enough so it's best to save all of your tallow for soap.


Are you sure it's Potash and not Lye?
protoge
Profile Joined January 2011
United States55 Posts
June 21 2011 15:34 GMT
#746
On June 21 2011 10:52 Haemonculus wrote:
So at around 79 level or so, I've found a layer composed almost entirely of semi-molten rock and/or warm stone. But no matter how many detours I take or exploring tunnels I dig, I can't find any real magma!

Any way to get through this undiggable layer? I want to kick my metal industry into high gear without burning down the entire forest!


If you see a warm stone, go up a level and dig to the same spot. If you hit another warm stone, go up a level and repeat. If you don't hit warm stone 1 z level up, dig around it (All 9 squares around it).

S = magma, X = warm stone, R = regular rock. This diagram is looking up z levels

RRRRRRRRR
RRRRXXXRR
XXXXXXSXXX
SSSSSSSSX

If you hit that bottom right X, you dig up a level and go until you hit the warm stone. Repeat until you get to that top level. Because you see that it has no awrm stone, you know that there is no lava the layer below so you can mine that out. Chanel one of the spaces where it had been warm and you'll get a cavern-esque update giving you the location of all local magma.

It is estimated feeding the world's hungry would require 30 billion dollars per year. Quite the sum of money. It's actually the same amount of money that the world spends on it's military every 8 days.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-21 15:53:34
June 21 2011 15:37 GMT
#747
On June 22 2011 00:10 Zocat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2011 04:08 Logo wrote:
On June 21 2011 03:58 Haemonculus wrote:
How do I get soap?

Way too many dorfs dying to infection t.t;


1. Make Ash at a Wood Furnace (Wood Burning)
2. Make Potash at an ashery (Potash Making)
3. Render fat at a kitchen (from butchered animals) (Cooking)
4. Make Soap at a soap workshop with Potash + Tallow (Soap Making)

Then make a stockpile in your hospital for soap.

I'd recommend forbidding all fat and tallow from being used for cooking in your forts. Food is plentiful enough so it's best to save all of your tallow for soap.


Are you sure it's Potash and not Lye?


No. You're right it's lye, and will edit my post accordingly (sorry to anyone who made Potash)


On June 21 2011 08:46 Thehummel wrote:
Trying to get into DF, but after i've done some reading and such, i tried installing a graphic pack i think ( Lazy Newb Pack ) But my question is, is there a different between using Lazy Newb Pack and just playing the regular in ASCII? If so, which should i start out with/will it have any effect?


Graphic pack is probably easier.

Actually personally I find the best is an alternate ascii setup. The default ascii scheme looks like... well utter ass... with awful colors, more symbols than needed, and a ton of other clutter. I don't know if anyone currently offers it, but the best scheme imo is an alternate font with softer looking letters, the clear ground setting, and some changes to the raw to unify stone.

Anyways for your sake just use one of the graphic sets from the LNP.
Logo
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 21 2011 15:43 GMT
#748
On June 21 2011 08:46 Thehummel wrote:
Trying to get into DF, but after i've done some reading and such, i tried installing a graphic pack i think ( Lazy Newb Pack ) But my question is, is there a different between using Lazy Newb Pack and just playing the regular in ASCII? If so, which should i start out with/will it have any effect?


Check out the video embedded on page 15 of this thread, at the beginning it will explain how to set everything up for you (plus alot of other useful info)
anilusion
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden247 Posts
June 21 2011 17:35 GMT
#749
Just downloaded but it seems like dwarffortresswiki is down? Where to go for beginner help?
naonao
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States847 Posts
June 21 2011 17:38 GMT
#750
On June 22 2011 00:34 protoge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2011 10:52 Haemonculus wrote:
So at around 79 level or so, I've found a layer composed almost entirely of semi-molten rock and/or warm stone. But no matter how many detours I take or exploring tunnels I dig, I can't find any real magma!

Any way to get through this undiggable layer? I want to kick my metal industry into high gear without burning down the entire forest!


If you see a warm stone, go up a level and dig to the same spot. If you hit another warm stone, go up a level and repeat. If you don't hit warm stone 1 z level up, dig around it (All 9 squares around it).

S = magma, X = warm stone, R = regular rock. This diagram is looking up z levels

RRRRRRRRR
RRRRXXXRR
XXXXXXSXXX
SSSSSSSSX

If you hit that bottom right X, you dig up a level and go until you hit the warm stone. Repeat until you get to that top level. Because you see that it has no awrm stone, you know that there is no lava the layer below so you can mine that out. Chanel one of the spaces where it had been warm and you'll get a cavern-esque update giving you the location of all local magma.


I don't think its magma that's causing the warm stone. If its undiggable you probably don't want to go further down
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 21 2011 18:02 GMT
#751
On June 22 2011 02:35 anilusion wrote:
Just downloaded but it seems like dwarffortresswiki is down? Where to go for beginner help?



Works for me

http://df.magmawiki.com/

The best thing you can do tho is check out the video tutorials on youtube or page 15 of this thread
dellwon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States31 Posts
June 21 2011 18:03 GMT
#752
On June 22 2011 02:35 anilusion wrote:
Just downloaded but it seems like dwarffortresswiki is down? Where to go for beginner help?



Did you try this DF wiki?

That is the one I always use.

I would suggest reading this articlethis article too.

Feel free to pm me if you need any help. I can PM, skype, vent, or stream help for you. This goes for anyone who is new. I'm not a gosu at DF but I understand the game fairly well and am willing to help out.
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 21 2011 18:50 GMT
#753
Man, I just got a massive goblin ambush inside year 1, wiped me out

Is his common?
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 21 2011 19:10 GMT
#754
On June 22 2011 02:35 anilusion wrote:
Just downloaded but it seems like dwarffortresswiki is down? Where to go for beginner help?


I personally started about 2-3 weeks ago with this youtube series. I think I watched the first 10 episodes before playing (and havent watched more since then).

This tutorial also seemed to be pretty good.

Overall I think it's save to say - dont try to absorb everything from the get go. Learn the real basics and then play - certain questions will pop up during play and then use the wiki to answer them (like how to set up a hospital, how to setup a pasture for animals, how to make soap, ...).
The learning aspect for me is actually the most fun aspect about the game. Always knowing there is SO MUCH STUFF to learn is nice. I personally havent even broken down into the caverns, dont know anything how to use magma, but I know there is so much more to explore.
Vearo
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada168 Posts
June 21 2011 19:13 GMT
#755
I need a refresher on how to play DF. I tried three times to establish a decent fortress, but I always got overrun by large mobs of invaders by the second or third year.

The military for the most part just seems to wander off and do its own thing despite my efforts to tell them to go train (yes, I checked the wiki). I was/am far too used to the older version of the military where the ordering the militia was very cumbersome, but the dwarves either eat, slept, or sparred. Nothing quite as entertaining as seeing 6 legendary wrestlers pretending to be chiropractors for dozens of goblins.

Perhaps another problem is that I always have the little guys making crafts so I can buy anything I need by the third trade caravan. In all three cases didn't even delve deeper than 10 levels under before I was overrun with FUN.
"Smooth as Pie" - Day[9]
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 21 2011 19:53 GMT
#756
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-21 20:20:59
June 21 2011 20:16 GMT
#757
On June 22 2011 04:13 Vearo wrote:
I need a refresher on how to play DF. I tried three times to establish a decent fortress, but I always got overrun by large mobs of invaders by the second or third year.

The military for the most part just seems to wander off and do its own thing despite my efforts to tell them to go train (yes, I checked the wiki). I was/am far too used to the older version of the military where the ordering the militia was very cumbersome, but the dwarves either eat, slept, or sparred. Nothing quite as entertaining as seeing 6 legendary wrestlers pretending to be chiropractors for dozens of goblins.

Perhaps another problem is that I always have the little guys making crafts so I can buy anything I need by the third trade caravan. In all three cases didn't even delve deeper than 10 levels under before I was overrun with FUN.


The four easy steps to making your military train if they aren't.

1. Make a squad using the (m)ilitary screen and putting dwarves into a squad. (p)osition is the default view so you just need to move the cursor to the right and assign dwarves to be in the squad. Leave the default schedule for your squad.
2. Make a barracks just like the old version (place a bed, armor stand, or weapon rack. Make it a room. Set room to be a barracks.
2b. Select the item defining your barracks and on the bottom portion will be a list of squads that you can scroll through. You need to set the squad to use the barracks to train (t I believe) in that room or they won't use it.
3. (s)quad -> select the squad you made -> t to toggle them to active/training
4. Repeat for additional squads later on.

If your military isn't training you probably missed step 2b if the dwarves have recruit, wrestler, or <weapon>dwarf names. If your military is still acting like civilians you missed step 3. When setup like above they will train almost 100% of the time they aren't eating, drinking, sleeping, on break, or attending a party.

Also inactive dwarves assigned to a squad with an assigned barracks will still train some in their off time if given no tasks.

Then when you need to use the military use (s)quad o and issue a kill or move command. Use the schedules later when your military is bigger and you need to have defenses at the ready.

As for actually surviving ambushes, I don't know. So far I haven't had a problem with it so long as I can get 10 or so dwarves into the military armed with some sort of metal weapon and armor. Keep in mind the new military trains slower than the old one so you do need more dwarves in your military early on because you can't get a legendary fighter in a single year (unless maybe you use danger rooms).
Logo
Ottoxlol
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
735 Posts
June 21 2011 20:51 GMT
#758
I'm starting to get bored with DF, no fun in a while. I was looking at these challenges but they dont seem too interesting. What's keep you playin once u discovered all the fun? Start fortress in a very shitty place?
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 21 2011 21:06 GMT
#759
fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu(n)

i just killed my legendary miner and broker because my first time bridge retraction timing was off, so he dropped 15 z-levels down into a cave. gg.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 21 2011 21:06 GMT
#760
On June 22 2011 05:51 Ottoxlol wrote:
I'm starting to get bored with DF, no fun in a while. I was looking at these challenges but they dont seem too interesting. What's keep you playin once u discovered all the fun? Start fortress in a very shitty place?


Whatever you want to make it fun...

Run a long lasting fortress, run a fortress in a difficult area, download/play mods like Fortress Defense (lot harder enemies), run a fort with specific restrictions, run a fort that's lavish rather than functional, pretty much anything that you want.
Logo
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
Nina 116
SpeCial 30
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2026
Dewaltoss 45
NaDa 30
Bale 24
Noble 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
Counter-Strike
taco 537
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1300
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1286
WinterStarcraft592
Other Games
summit1g9053
Doublelift2403
JimRising 669
PiGStarcraft318
ArmadaUGS194
C9.Mang0182
Maynarde132
ViBE87
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick806
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream123
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 79
• practicex 23
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki163
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo843
• Rush251
• Stunt219
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 13m
OSC
9h 13m
Stellar Fest
9h 13m
OSC
20h 13m
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.