• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:33
CEST 15:33
KST 22:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)44Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8847 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 39

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 75 Next
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 21 2011 21:19 GMT
#761
Make either a 100% ice fortress or a fortress in a sinister zone. That's how I keep myself entertained when I get tired of the conventional stuff.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 22 2011 00:43 GMT
#762
I just lost about 65 dwarves to a goblin ambush. I have 3 children and a berserk miner left

I don't remember how to set it to keep the dwarves indoors.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
Vearo
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada168 Posts
June 22 2011 02:01 GMT
#763
On June 22 2011 09:43 tjg92 wrote:
I just lost about 65 dwarves to a goblin ambush. I have 3 children and a berserk miner left

I don't remember how to set it to keep the dwarves indoors.


You have to assign inside as a burrow, and then assign your population to that burrow.
There might be a better way, I am still figuring out the nuances of the newer version.

Oh, and I figured out the problem with my military:
I needed to set the squad training numbers to n-1 instead of 1. The dwarves thought that only one needed to show up instead of as many that could make it.
"Smooth as Pie" - Day[9]
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 22 2011 02:29 GMT
#764
Wasn't there another way under the orders menu in an older version? Maybe I'm imagining things.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 22 2011 13:02 GMT
#765
Pre - Day 1:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:
Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 22 2011 13:05 GMT
#766
On June 22 2011 22:02 ComaDose wrote:
Pre - Day 1:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:
Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!


Easiest way to farm imo is to dig out a large room next to one of the ponds, (pretty common), and drain it into your room. The water will flood your farming room, then you just build a sealed door to keep it from re-flooding later. The water all evaporates and you're left with a nice large room filled with mud!

Also farming above ground, (while very un-dwarfy) is very useful. I almost always have a small dedicated outdoor farm to grow more crops. One small patch for each type of plant you can grow adds a nice boost to your food supply.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
iaretehnoob
Profile Joined June 2004
Sweden741 Posts
June 22 2011 13:27 GMT
#767
Also "Soil" isn't called soil in-game, because there are different types of soil. In my first fortress I ignored all that loam and clay floor and kept looking for soil until I had a look at the wiki.
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 22 2011 13:54 GMT
#768
*face palm* thanks guys!
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 22 2011 14:35 GMT
#769
Quick question gents - If i embark on a smallish island in the ocean and dont have anyone listed as neighbours (my Civ has 4 locations on map, but none connected by land), will I

a - still get migrations, and will number of migrants be affected?

b - be subject to goblin attacks / sieges?
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 22 2011 14:40 GMT
#770
On June 22 2011 23:35 ChinaWhite wrote:
Quick question gents - If i embark on a smallish island in the ocean and dont have anyone listed as neighbours (my Civ has 4 locations on map, but none connected by land), will I

a - still get migrations, and will number of migrants be affected?

b - be subject to goblin attacks / sieges?


I believe dwarven caravans come equipped with all-terrain wheels as well as sails and flotation devices. They are able to find you anywhere in the world so long as the edge of your map has terrain it can spawn on. Migrants, despite being useless when they reach you, are incredibly determined and hardy and will likewise be able to pass any terrain at all.

Everything else isn't so lucky and will never appear at your fort.
Logo
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 22 2011 14:45 GMT
#771
^ Thanks for the quick response Logo, I think I'll just abandon now then. Although I wish they would wait a bit longer before their pillaging, I dont like the idea of no Goblins at all!
protoge
Profile Joined January 2011
United States55 Posts
June 22 2011 16:38 GMT
#772
On June 22 2011 23:45 ChinaWhite wrote:
^ Thanks for the quick response Logo, I think I'll just abandon now then. Although I wish they would wait a bit longer before their pillaging, I dont like the idea of no Goblins at all!


When are they attacking you? I haven't had issues with goblin attacks other than a few dwearves who were outside doing various things being too slow to get back in time.

By the time you have 40 dwarves, you should have around 5 (imo) training and have started some sort of metal indstury to equip them. If you're having issues finding metal, trade for metal items and melt them down.
It is estimated feeding the world's hungry would require 30 billion dollars per year. Quite the sum of money. It's actually the same amount of money that the world spends on it's military every 8 days.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 22 2011 16:43 GMT
#773
I'm having trouble with rotting cats.

They walk around leaving miasma everywhere. I think I'll have most of them butchered or caged, but I dunno what to do about the ones that are pets. They're like half rotting and just leave trails of unhappy thoughts wherever they go T_T
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 22 2011 16:48 GMT
#774
On June 23 2011 01:43 Haemonculus wrote:
I'm having trouble with rotting cats.

They walk around leaving miasma everywhere. I think I'll have most of them butchered or caged, but I dunno what to do about the ones that are pets. They're like half rotting and just leave trails of unhappy thoughts wherever they go T_T


They rot while alive?? otherwhise just set up a corpses pile outside and your fine
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 17:02:08
June 22 2011 17:01 GMT
#775
On June 23 2011 01:38 protoge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2011 23:45 ChinaWhite wrote:
^ Thanks for the quick response Logo, I think I'll just abandon now then. Although I wish they would wait a bit longer before their pillaging, I dont like the idea of no Goblins at all!


When are they attacking you? I haven't had issues with goblin attacks other than a few dwearves who were outside doing various things being too slow to get back in time.

By the time you have 40 dwarves, you should have around 5 (imo) training and have started some sort of metal indstury to equip them. If you're having issues finding metal, trade for metal items and melt them down.


oh, no they're not a problem - i was just worried that if I started on an island I wouldn't see them at all. I want to be attacked.
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 22 2011 18:31 GMT
#776
On June 23 2011 02:01 ChinaWhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 01:38 protoge wrote:
On June 22 2011 23:45 ChinaWhite wrote:
^ Thanks for the quick response Logo, I think I'll just abandon now then. Although I wish they would wait a bit longer before their pillaging, I dont like the idea of no Goblins at all!


When are they attacking you? I haven't had issues with goblin attacks other than a few dwearves who were outside doing various things being too slow to get back in time.

By the time you have 40 dwarves, you should have around 5 (imo) training and have started some sort of metal indstury to equip them. If you're having issues finding metal, trade for metal items and melt them down.


oh, no they're not a problem - i was just worried that if I started on an island I wouldn't see them at all. I want to be attacked.


Oh but if you want that kind of FUN you should go mine admantine and don't backup your save tyvm.
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 22 2011 18:42 GMT
#777
On June 23 2011 03:31 Vain wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 02:01 ChinaWhite wrote:
On June 23 2011 01:38 protoge wrote:
On June 22 2011 23:45 ChinaWhite wrote:
^ Thanks for the quick response Logo, I think I'll just abandon now then. Although I wish they would wait a bit longer before their pillaging, I dont like the idea of no Goblins at all!


When are they attacking you? I haven't had issues with goblin attacks other than a few dwearves who were outside doing various things being too slow to get back in time.

By the time you have 40 dwarves, you should have around 5 (imo) training and have started some sort of metal indstury to equip them. If you're having issues finding metal, trade for metal items and melt them down.


oh, no they're not a problem - i was just worried that if I started on an island I wouldn't see them at all. I want to be attacked.


Oh but if you want that kind of FUN you should go mine admantine and don't backup your save tyvm.


Haha

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to get Adamantium before the end of year 1, that has been the challenge.

needless to say I've started a lot of new forts. Even if the clowns dont get you the value tends to attract things too strong for 15 dorfs to handle.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 23:02:42
June 22 2011 18:55 GMT
#778
On June 23 2011 01:43 Haemonculus wrote:
I'm having trouble with rotting cats.

They walk around leaving miasma everywhere. I think I'll have most of them butchered or caged, but I dunno what to do about the ones that are pets. They're like half rotting and just leave trails of unhappy thoughts wherever they go T_T



make a refuse stockpile outside your main door, your dwarfs will put the rotting stuff out there then and the miasma goes away.

/edit: FUN! one of my fishers drowned in a river, so now his body is in there and now his ghost has risen and is haunting my mines >.< is there a way to get a body ouf of the river, besides attempting and failing and killing more dwarfs by making a dam or something to get the water away?
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 22 2011 23:16 GMT
#779
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 22 2011 23:21 GMT
#780
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1063
ComeBackTV 352
TaKeTV 286
SteadfastSC283
LamboSC2232
Rex106
IndyStarCraft 75
EnkiAlexander 42
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 283
LamboSC2 232
ProTech146
Rex 106
IndyStarCraft 75
BRAT_OK 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 39033
Shuttle 2616
Bisu 1005
Horang2 869
Jaedong 808
Mini 778
EffOrt 679
Light 510
Soma 389
BeSt 349
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 337
firebathero 329
Stork 268
Snow 205
Rush 185
ZerO 169
Zeus 161
ggaemo 135
Last 108
Leta 87
Pusan 78
hero 76
sorry 72
Killer 71
Sea.KH 55
Sharp 46
Mong 45
Mind 39
soO 31
Shinee 30
Aegong 28
Shine 26
Free 25
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 24
Sexy 24
Trap 22
Terrorterran 19
NotJumperer 18
HiyA 17
JulyZerg 10
Icarus 9
Sacsri 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
zelot 6
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7289
qojqva1576
Dendi883
Fuzer 132
420jenkins86
Counter-Strike
markeloff146
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2259
crisheroes1241
XaKoH 172
Other Games
gofns35600
singsing2307
olofmeister1229
B2W.Neo1054
Mlord250
DeMusliM201
Livibee163
Hui .150
Liquid`VortiX130
ArmadaUGS119
Mew2King111
QueenE90
ZerO(Twitch)15
Railgan11
Chillindude11
ToD10
fpsfer 1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream114
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1849
League of Legends
• Jankos2339
• Nemesis1729
• TFBlade790
Other Games
• WagamamaTV165
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 27m
Stellar Fest
23h 27m
OSC
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 20h
Online Event
1d 21h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.