• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:16
CEST 01:16
KST 08:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8773 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 41

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 75 Next
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 24 2011 14:01 GMT
#801
Iron armor is fine too (havent tested with lower stuff).
But you MUST use wooden spears. Some stupid dwarf used an iron spear once.
The room was pretty bloody!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-24 14:03:01
June 24 2011 14:01 GMT
#802
I'll have to try that, hehe.

I better make a backup though in case I end up accidentally slaughtering a squad of recruits, trolololo

edit: Are wooden spears/spikes not that effective then? Currently the entrance to my fortress is a drawbridge over a pit. The pit is 6 z-levels down, and the bottom is nothing but upright spike traps. I had so much wood left over that the spikes are mostly wooden.

Will they still kill anything that falls off the bridge? Or at least maim them, so that they can try to cripple-walk out through the hall of falling stones?
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ShloobeR
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Korea (South)3851 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-24 14:08:30
June 24 2011 14:08 GMT
#803
I think danger rooms take a lot of the fun out of the game, it is clearly an exploit (even if it's intentional) and I never want to use it anymore : (
: o )
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 24 2011 14:25 GMT
#804
On June 24 2011 23:01 Haemonculus wrote:
I'll have to try that, hehe.

I better make a backup though in case I end up accidentally slaughtering a squad of recruits, trolololo

edit: Are wooden spears/spikes not that effective then? Currently the entrance to my fortress is a drawbridge over a pit. The pit is 6 z-levels down, and the bottom is nothing but upright spike traps. I had so much wood left over that the spikes are mostly wooden.

Will they still kill anything that falls off the bridge? Or at least maim them, so that they can try to cripple-walk out through the hall of falling stones?


They should be ok in this context given the large drop, but ordinarily they're considered non lethal training weapons I think?
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 14:38 GMT
#805
Oh balls, were those supposed to be upright spike traps? Or weapon traps?

I just made a whole room of weapon traps but I can't seem to figure out how to link a lever to them o.o;
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 24 2011 15:03 GMT
#806
On June 24 2011 23:38 Haemonculus wrote:
Oh balls, were those supposed to be upright spike traps? Or weapon traps?

I just made a whole room of weapon traps but I can't seem to figure out how to link a lever to them o.o;


Yeah upright spike traps. You're going to have to deconstruct everything.
Logo
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 18:41 GMT
#807
This game really hits you at times.

One of my mining teams accidentally bored into a demonic fortress. It was filled with zombies and skeletons of every sort. Alligators, Hippos, peacocks, you name it. My military rushes in and holds off the assaulting undead beasts while I erect a wall/door to seal off the fortress from the danger. We take no casualties, and when the barricade is finished, we retreat inside and seal the door. Phew! No casualties too!

But not everyone made it back inside. One of the fortress wenches, and her baby, had been out in the cavern for some reason, (dunno what, I forbade everything inside it), and had been locked out... permanently. With about 12 undead crundles sitting outside the door, clearly pondering how to enter, mounting a rescue mission was deemed too hazardous. Gods rest you, "Wench Annie" and "baby". I assumed they would get a quick death.

Oh was I wrong.

About a month later I get a message, "interrupted by zombie hippo". Woah! I thought I sealed them all off, where is it... oh, still in the cavern? Poor Annie and her baby had been surviving in the cavern, running from demons and undead and scavenging for food. The baby is caught, and torn to bits by a zombie crundle. (11 pages of combat text too, pretty brutal death). Annie runs for her life, chased by skeletal hippos. She tries to go back to her dead baby but is always interrupted. Eventually she is caught by one of the hippos, and killed.

Poor woman was trapped outside the fortress, abandoned by her fellows, and left to die in an underground maze with her baby. She tries her best to survive, to make it another day in case they come to rescue her. One night, or is it day? she can't tell down here, but the monsters find her. She runs, trying to save herself and her offspring. But she's caught, and the baby gets torn to shreds before her eyes. Wrought with despair, she flees and aimlessly wanders, until she can no longer outrun the hippos.

Tragic shit T_T
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 24 2011 18:55 GMT
#808
^^ Haha, nice write up. I have a fortress on my map too, very deep down. I've avoided it until now but my danger room has produced such great soldiers I might just have to explore!

Only 3 baby deaths so far too, I dont want parents in the miltary anyway.
dellwon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States31 Posts
June 25 2011 01:15 GMT
#809
On June 24 2011 23:01 Zocat wrote:
Iron armor is fine too (havent tested with lower stuff).
But you MUST use wooden spears. Some stupid dwarf used an iron spear once.
The room was pretty bloody!


I've used copper and bronze armor in a danger room and its been fine. Honestly, I think that leather armor would be fine. Wooden training spears are pretty non-lethal.

Sometimes my regular dwarfs wander in and they don't take any damage. Cloaks seem to be able to block most everything,
Hoosegow
Profile Joined August 2010
United States139 Posts
June 25 2011 02:26 GMT
#810
The only thing that training spear danger rooms will kill are children and animals. Although mine seem to deactivate all labors on dwarves that enter. I'll have like 20 idlers that all have no labors turned on after a while :/
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 25 2011 09:33 GMT
#811
I used wooden spikes for my first danger room. My medical dwarves got a lot of good practice that year.

But yea, I agree it's kinda exploitish to power your military like this. That being said though, a fully trained military will only help you against a tiny bit of what Fun is available in DF, so it's not like using a danger room to power your military is in any way trivializing the experience. Even if your hundred man strong army of legendary axedwarves are able to one-shot any forgotten beast or clown concieved by the villanious random creature generator, it only takes one deadly dust or syndrome to lay your entire fortress bare.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 25 2011 10:17 GMT
#812
^^ Indeed. Being a legendary shield / sword dorf certainly didn't help Urist Mcstandsoniceinthespringtime
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 25 2011 12:09 GMT
#813
I just had a few dorfs die of thirst right in the middle of the fortress. Just a few feet from their bedrooms, and I didn't notice any health problems. Just all of a sudden, "____ has died of thirst!"

Any idea what causes that? I have 4 wells in 4 separate water holes in the fortress, and over 800 drinks brewed/stored. There's no shortage of drinks...

And I don't remember anyone failing a mood lately and withdrawing...

Her baby also died of thirst shortly after. Does no one feed/care for children in this game? T_T
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 25 2011 12:19 GMT
#814
Locked doors? Sadistic burrows? Broken legs? Syndrome causing digestive failure? General dwarven drunken debauchery?

I do not know.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 25 2011 15:37 GMT
#815
^^ This has happened to me a couple of times too, I'd also like to know why! Sometimes it can happen if they're doing a job far away and leasve it too late to seek water. Maybe they were working, then decided to sleep before water and then couldn't get to it fast enough?
Hamp
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway100 Posts
June 25 2011 15:49 GMT
#816
Started with this game a couple of days ago, and finally managed to get a decent fortress up and running. The farming and brewing was going great, and I had even found a magma lake and set up a smelter near it. Then out of nothing comes this big ass Forgotten Beast and just rapes everything I had, I didn't notice it until it was too late, and suddenly my entire fort was filled with miasma. The army did what it could but the bastard had a dust attack which knocked people into walls and crushed them :/ I suppose I dug too greedily and too deep.

It's still interesting, and extremely addictive though, and I guess it's a learning process. But damn, the "fun" can sometimes be insanely frustrating.
Sixtus
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada26 Posts
June 25 2011 15:57 GMT
#817
Then out of nothing comes this big ass Forgotten Beast and just rapes everything I had, I didn't notice it until it was too late, and suddenly my entire fort was filled with miasma. The army did what it could but the bastard had a dust attack which knocked people into walls and crushed them :/ I suppose I dug too greedily and too deep.


Yeah, you'll quickly learn that once you break into the layers of caverns that are deep underground you unleash a lot of "fun" on your fort .

If you break into one of the layers, I suggest walling off all entrances that may lead from your fort into the cavern itself until you have a decent enough military squad that can deal with the annoying creatures and beasts.

Also, there are 3 cavern layers...each one gets more difficult as you go down. If you hit magma underground, I would assume you hit the 3rd layer. Very dangerous for a new player if you don't have the proper defences to prevent anything from raiding your fort! Walls are your friend if you accidentally breach cavern walls until you get your military prepared.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 25 2011 16:10 GMT
#818
First layer is usually empty, perhaps the occasional cave monster, nothing really scary.
Second layer is usually filled with undead monsters, possibly connected to an underground demon fortress.
Third layer is clowns, who will burn down the world if you release even one of them.

Finding magma is super useful, but you don't want to accidentally open up the circus. I rarely even risk mining adamantium if I like my fortress.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Hamp
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway100 Posts
June 25 2011 16:20 GMT
#819
How many soldiers should one have before venturing into the first layer? Do I need a full squad or more? Or will a couple of dwarves be able to handle the things there?
Sixtus
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada26 Posts
June 25 2011 16:25 GMT
#820
On June 26 2011 01:20 Hamp wrote:
How many soldiers should one have before venturing into the first layer? Do I need a full squad or more? Or will a couple of dwarves be able to handle the things there?


For the first layer, having 3-4 dwarves with armor of any sort will generally be ok. The monsters down there are quite weak and easy to kill.
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE137
CosmosSc2 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 594
Artosis 553
910 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever623
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Counter-Strike
minikerr17
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5910
Other Games
summit1g7752
shahzam570
C9.Mang0282
ArmadaUGS82
Trikslyr44
ZombieGrub30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick547
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen256
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
44m
Kung Fu Cup
11h 44m
Stellar Fest
13h 44m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.