• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:36
CEST 00:36
KST 07:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9663 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 40

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 75 Next
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 23:32:10
June 22 2011 23:25 GMT
#781
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Wr4ith_Bl4d3
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia27 Posts
June 22 2011 23:41 GMT
#782
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.
Endure in enduring grow stronger
Sixtus
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada26 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 23:42:21
June 22 2011 23:42 GMT
#783
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the [b]uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 22 2011 23:43 GMT
#784
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:42 Sixtus wrote:
Show nested quote +
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.

+ Show Spoiler +
[B]On June 23 2011 08:41 Wr4ith_Bl4d3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.


thank you
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 23 2011 13:13 GMT
#785
Pre - Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +

Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!

Day 2:
What a day.
I feel like i actually started playing the game.
I made some bedrooms with beds and cabinets.
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S
I made what i consider to be quite the luxurious office for my balin expedition leader who is now a manager.
I also made a farm! that was a hell of an experience that took at least an hour of figuring out how to resize and place and then get rid of all the shitty 1 square ones i initially made while trying to figure it out.
I asked for help and you guys were awesome+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:43 ComaDose wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:42 Sixtus wrote:
Show nested quote +
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.

+ Show Spoiler +
[B]On June 23 2011 08:41 Wr4ith_Bl4d3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.


thank you
I got some smart mother fucking immigrants. And they brought an anvil so that'/s pretty sweet. I hear you need that. Now i just need to figure out what for.
I seem to be trying to do everything at once and im not getting anything done.
The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.
I better figure it out before I finish up these last 10 units of food :S
I learned something from the wording of the wiki etc. '"let" your dwarfs do something' we have virtually complete control if you have the time and effort to dictate every facet of their lives.
And you can pause so you have infinite time.
Every success in this game is so rewarding.
I was like "make stone table *fist pump* found it".
I am still scaling the sheer face of the learning cliff.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
dellwon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States31 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 13:21:01
June 23 2011 13:18 GMT
#786
On June 23 2011 22:13 ComaDose wrote:
Pre - Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +

Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!

Day 2:
What a day.
I feel like i actually started playing the game.
I made some bedrooms with beds and cabinets.
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S
I made what i consider to be quite the luxurious office for my balin expedition leader who is now a manager.
I also made a farm! that was a hell of an experience that took at least an hour of figuring out how to resize and place and then get rid of all the shitty 1 square ones i initially made while trying to figure it out.
I asked for help and you guys were awesome+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:43 ComaDose wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:42 Sixtus wrote:
Show nested quote +
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.

+ Show Spoiler +
[B]On June 23 2011 08:41 Wr4ith_Bl4d3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.


thank you
I got some smart mother fucking immigrants. And they brought an anvil so that'/s pretty sweet. I hear you need that. Now i just need to figure out what for.
I seem to be trying to do everything at once and im not getting anything done.
The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.
I better figure it out before I finish up these last 10 units of food :S
I learned something from the wording of the wiki etc. '"let" your dwarfs do something' we have virtually complete control if you have the time and effort to dictate every facet of their lives.
And you can pause so you have infinite time.
Every success in this game is so rewarding.
I was like "make stone table *fist pump* found it".
I am still scaling the sheer face of the learning cliff.


You can build the coffers under the build menu using b -> h then selecting them using +- on the number pad (or keyboard if you're using the laptop bindings). They're considered containers.

edit: FUN! one of my fishers drowned in a river, so now his body is in there and now his ghost has risen and is haunting my mines >.< is there a way to get a body ouf of the river, besides attempting and failing and killing more dwarfs by making a dam or something to get the water away?


@MisterD you can make a memorial slab for him and place it and he will stop haunting you. This page should help: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Slab
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 13:22:46
June 23 2011 13:20 GMT
#787
On June 23 2011 22:13 ComaDose wrote:
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S

The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.


b -> h ("build container" includes all sorts of bags, chests and coffers)

and dwarfs tend to suspend constructions when you build on top of a random item that you designated for dump. If it's not designated for dumping, they'll move it aside and build the building. But if it's designated, they won't touch it until it is dumped. only after that, you can successfully resume construction.


so i just dug down my staircase into the ground a little further and it turns out i hit a "smooth slade wall", telling me "you have found a curious underground structure" .. so i'm scared now ^^
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 23 2011 14:59 GMT
#788
On June 23 2011 22:20 MisterD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 22:13 ComaDose wrote:
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S

The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.


b -> h ("build container" includes all sorts of bags, chests and coffers)

and dwarfs tend to suspend constructions when you build on top of a random item that you designated for dump. If it's not designated for dumping, they'll move it aside and build the building. But if it's designated, they won't touch it until it is dumped. only after that, you can successfully resume construction.


so i just dug down my staircase into the ground a little further and it turns out i hit a "smooth slade wall", telling me "you have found a curious underground structure" .. so i'm scared now ^^

Nothing to be scared of... unless you want the pretty adamantium weapons which probbbably isn't a trap.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 23 2011 21:21 GMT
#789
I seem to have real trouble training squads of mele dorfs, im in year 4 now and they dont seem to be getting better.

Ive set them in a squad, they have a barracks, schedule is set up correctly, but they just seem to gather round their weapons rack / barracks doing nothing! If they didn't have adamantium armour they would all be dead I'm sure.

Am I missing something obvious?

I have a squad of 8 legendary marksdorfs who have kept me safe thus far, but I cant see it lasting for ever.......
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
June 23 2011 22:22 GMT
#790
^^They are assigned to the barracks and you have selected 'train' on the barracks building (the piece of furniture) itself? Squads of three seem to be the best in order to get them to spar, which is more effective than just them lecturing each other all day.

Often, I will assign my forces to unarmed and send them to beat up half dead creatures that the hunters didnt quite finish off. This trains things up relatively quickly in the beginning.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 01:53 GMT
#791
If I build a floor a few tiles over an outdoor farm, does it still count as outdoor? Anyone know?
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 24 2011 11:20 GMT
#792
On June 24 2011 10:53 Haemonculus wrote:
If I build a floor a few tiles over an outdoor farm, does it still count as outdoor? Anyone know?


"Once an area is exposed to the outside world, it is Above Ground and Light (and thus channeling this tile will make the tile below it also Above Ground and Light). Even after being covered up again, it will remain this way. This allows growing outdoor crops inside safely. " [source]
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 24 2011 12:02 GMT
#793
Pre - Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +

Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!

Day 2:+ Show Spoiler +

What a day.
I feel like i actually started playing the game.
I made some bedrooms with beds and cabinets.
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S
I made what i consider to be quite the luxurious office for my balin expedition leader who is now a manager.
I also made a farm! that was a hell of an experience that took at least an hour of figuring out how to resize and place and then get rid of all the shitty 1 square ones i initially made while trying to figure it out.
I asked for help and you guys were awesome+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:43 ComaDose wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:42 Sixtus wrote:
Show nested quote +
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.

+ Show Spoiler +
[B]On June 23 2011 08:41 Wr4ith_Bl4d3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.


thank you
I got some smart mother fucking immigrants. And they brought an anvil so that'/s pretty sweet. I hear you need that. Now i just need to figure out what for.
I seem to be trying to do everything at once and im not getting anything done.
The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.
I better figure it out before I finish up these last 10 units of food :S
I learned something from the wording of the wiki etc. '"let" your dwarfs do something' we have virtually complete control if you have the time and effort to dictate every facet of their lives.
And you can pause so you have infinite time.
Every success in this game is so rewarding.
I was like "make stone table *fist pump* found it".
I am still scaling the sheer face of the learning cliff.

Day 3:
I feel like i understand how dwarf fortress works.
Things that I am doing are having an affect on things that i want to happen in a meaningful way.
Some of the menus are becoming intuitive, I find myself saying things like:
"Obviously that's a zone."
Like I'm trying to help myself remember.
I have someone to trade with but i don't know what i need.
Time to form a decent militia, maybe some traps?
I'm nervous something is going to come kill me.
And i havn't tried to figure out how much time has passed either.
There are dwarfs i like and those i do not.
I finally started using dwarf therapist and its helped a lot.
I think the design of my fortress is sexy and cant wait to start a new one so i wont be sad when all these dwarfs get murdered.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Vearo
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada168 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-24 12:48:55
June 24 2011 12:15 GMT
#794
Armok dammit, I have one ghost hanging around and he's lagging the hell out of my game. Every time he appears, the game takes 2-3 seconds before everything resumes. I am trying to build a memorial slab as I type this to get rid of him, but its taking forever due to the LAG.

Just a heads up for anyone playing on 31.21

UPDATE:

Finally got that memorial slab up, and the lag is gone.
"Smooth as Pie" - Day[9]
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 24 2011 13:17 GMT
#795
Ok, big breakthrough.

After spending 4 years tring to set up a decent mele squad I finally got around to building a danger room. The results are ridiculous to the point I think this training method should probably be considered an exploit... is it?

It's a 4 by 4 room with each square containing a 10 training spear trap. two of my guys have gone from proficient fighters to legendary +5 inside a couple of dorf months, shield and weapon skills are going through the roof too.

Bring on the dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 13:17 GMT
#796
On June 24 2011 21:02 ComaDose wrote:
Pre - Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 04:53 ComaDose wrote:
read through a lot of this.
want a game i can play windowed whilst watching streams.
gonna install it.
what tile set is nice and easy.
I plan on keeping the wiki open and restarting many a time to get the hang of it.


Day 1:+ Show Spoiler +

Got the newb friendly pack.
I spent a significant amount of time telling the dwarfs to mine on ground level.
Looked up everything i could in the wiki made sure that they were set and equipped.
Yes you need to mine through walls/sub terrain.
I learned what a Z level is.
Going up a Z level is not going super saiyan.
I cut trees, piled wood brought everything inside, put my animals to pasture, put all the stones in the "garbage", had a place for poop.
Overall Day1 went well.
I only abandoned 2 fortresses... poor dwarfs. suffering for me being a perfectionist.
Now if only i could find some soil i wouldn't have to abandon this fresh batch.
My location has "some soil" and i've spread out on a few Z levels now looking for it.
Also cannot figure out how to irrigate and am wondering the effectiveness/cost/benefits of this.
We will see how it goes tonight!

Day 2:+ Show Spoiler +

What a day.
I feel like i actually started playing the game.
I made some bedrooms with beds and cabinets.
Cant figure out how to place the 15 chalk coffers i made tho :S
I made what i consider to be quite the luxurious office for my balin expedition leader who is now a manager.
I also made a farm! that was a hell of an experience that took at least an hour of figuring out how to resize and place and then get rid of all the shitty 1 square ones i initially made while trying to figure it out.
I asked for help and you guys were awesome+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:43 ComaDose wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 23 2011 08:42 Sixtus wrote:
Show nested quote +
EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Since you had dug the stairs to create them, and then removed them, there is now no dirt/rock there to dig into another set of stairs.

Therefore, you need to build them from the uild, [C]onstruction menu, where there is an option for up, down, and up/down stairs.

+ Show Spoiler +
[B]On June 23 2011 08:41 Wr4ith_Bl4d3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 08:25 ComaDose wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:21 MisterD wrote:
On June 23 2011 08:16 ComaDose wrote:
how do you remove stairs.
how do you turn off the music?


for dug out stairs (e.g. d -> i stairs): d -> j (i believe, it's "remove upward stairs or ramps")
for constructed staids (e.g. d -> C -> x stairs): d -> n

as for music: i just have the sound turned of in my windows sound mixer. But you can edit the config i think .. yes: go to data/init/init.txt and set [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO], should do the trick.

thank you.
teamliquid is the best resource for dwarf fortress.

EDIT: I removed the ramp and now i cant build an up down stairway lol... or an up stairway


Without an existing layer you're going to need to construct your stairs out of stone. You can do so by b->C->u / b->C->d / b->C->x for upward, downward and upward-downward stairs respectively.


thank you
I got some smart mother fucking immigrants. And they brought an anvil so that'/s pretty sweet. I hear you need that. Now i just need to figure out what for.
I seem to be trying to do everything at once and im not getting anything done.
The construction of my kitchen is suspended and i don't know why.
I better figure it out before I finish up these last 10 units of food :S
I learned something from the wording of the wiki etc. '"let" your dwarfs do something' we have virtually complete control if you have the time and effort to dictate every facet of their lives.
And you can pause so you have infinite time.
Every success in this game is so rewarding.
I was like "make stone table *fist pump* found it".
I am still scaling the sheer face of the learning cliff.

Day 3:
I feel like i understand how dwarf fortress works.
Things that I am doing are having an affect on things that i want to happen in a meaningful way.
Some of the menus are becoming intuitive, I find myself saying things like:
"Obviously that's a zone."
Like I'm trying to help myself remember.
I have someone to trade with but i don't know what i need.
Time to form a decent militia, maybe some traps?
I'm nervous something is going to come kill me.
And i havn't tried to figure out how much time has passed either.
There are dwarfs i like and those i do not.
I finally started using dwarf therapist and its helped a lot.
I think the design of my fortress is sexy and cant wait to start a new one so i wont be sad when all these dwarfs get murdered.

Everyone has favorite dorfs. They usually get the good rooms and do the important quality work.

For dwarfs that show up without any really useful skills, (fish skills, or just like lvl1 in 2 various skills), I just mark them as either "Wench ____" or "Man-wench ____", and leave them on the default duty selection. So their purpose in life is hauling stuff around so the important dorfs don't need to waste their talents! Alternatively, you can draft those useless dorfs into the militia. My current fortress has just over 120 dorfs, and I have a total of 50 enlisted in the military. Usually 2/5 squads will be active/training at any time, and the rest serve as a reserve unit, or they all train if there's no big project to work on.

But when I just dug out a new level and need to move some stone, giving the army a break and letting them mine/haul rocks is useful, *and* mining makes your dorfs stronger! Or at least it used to.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 13:18 GMT
#797
On June 24 2011 22:17 ChinaWhite wrote:
Ok, big breakthrough.

After spending 4 years tring to set up a decent mele squad I finally got around to building a danger room. The results are ridiculous to the point I think this training method should probably be considered an exploit... is it?

It's a 4 by 4 room with each square containing a 10 training spear trap. two of my guys have gone from proficient fighters to legendary +5 inside a couple of dorf months, shield and weapon skills are going through the roof too.

Bring on the dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woah, that's crazy! Do you just have them training in there? Or do they fight goblin prisoners? Do you drop them in there? lol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-24 13:23:44
June 24 2011 13:23 GMT
#798
On June 24 2011 22:18 Haemonculus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 22:17 ChinaWhite wrote:
Ok, big breakthrough.

After spending 4 years tring to set up a decent mele squad I finally got around to building a danger room. The results are ridiculous to the point I think this training method should probably be considered an exploit... is it?

It's a 4 by 4 room with each square containing a 10 training spear trap. two of my guys have gone from proficient fighters to legendary +5 inside a couple of dorf months, shield and weapon skills are going through the roof too.

Bring on the dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woah, that's crazy! Do you just have them training in there? Or do they fight goblin prisoners? Do you drop them in there? lol



I know, it's crazy!

I send them in with a move command (ie I station them in there) and then lock them in with an ordinary door. All he traps are linked to a single lever just outside the room. Once they are all trapped inside I order the level be pulled and set it to repeat with R (just like you would a workshop).

They then just stand there with all the wooden spears going off, dodging, blocking etc (soundsense actually provides a very nice log of what is happening in real time).

They do all have adamantium helms, plates, grieves and shields tho, I dont know if it would be viable with lesser armour or not.

It takes quite a while to set up but by the gods it's worth it!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 24 2011 13:42 GMT
#799
Hmmmm my army is fully outfitted in steel armor. I wonder if they'd survive? Perhaps if I used wooden spears?
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 24 2011 13:45 GMT
#800
You must use wooden spears year, I think that bit is crucial.

I reckon steel would be fine - perhaps just use 5 or 6 spears in each trap instead of 10 to tone it done a little.

3 of my 8 man squad are now legendary shield users too! It literally takes minutes in real time it's insane.

Just remember to let them out to eat / drink :-) They dont mind sleeping in there tho!

Might double up as a good noble disposal system too.
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 135
ViBE83
CosmosSc2 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 568
Artosis 360
910 33
Dota 2
monkeys_forever483
League of Legends
JimRising 479
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS85
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
Liquid`Hasu1397
Other Games
summit1g7603
shahzam520
byalli342
C9.Mang0226
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream187
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki40
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 24m
Stellar Fest
14h 24m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.