• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:16
CEST 15:16
KST 22:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7545 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 42

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 75 Next
dellwon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States31 Posts
June 25 2011 18:27 GMT
#821
On June 25 2011 21:09 Haemonculus wrote:
I just had a few dorfs die of thirst right in the middle of the fortress. Just a few feet from their bedrooms, and I didn't notice any health problems. Just all of a sudden, "____ has died of thirst!"

Any idea what causes that? I have 4 wells in 4 separate water holes in the fortress, and over 800 drinks brewed/stored. There's no shortage of drinks...

And I don't remember anyone failing a mood lately and withdrawing...

Her baby also died of thirst shortly after. Does no one feed/care for children in this game? T_T


I always assume that if one of my dwarfs died of thirst its because they were so depressed they decided to commit suicide.

But, considering you said you didn't have any moods or withdrawals - I don't know for sure. Sorry X_X
amatoer
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany212 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-26 14:22:52
June 26 2011 14:22 GMT
#822
oh wow, I got a really peaceful neighborhood here.

I got 116 citizens, a created wealth of more than 400k, and even though my food production is crappy, I dug for adamantine and found about 50 (raw). Also I trained my soldiers in the dangerroom, so I got some legendary militarymen (and -women!).

But nobody ever attacked me. Not even a Goblin ambush wanted to visit my home. Now I'm quite nervous because I fear that this is just the calm before the storm and suddently a monster appears and shares alot of fun with me.
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-26 14:51:11
June 26 2011 14:42 GMT
#823
On June 26 2011 23:22 amatoer wrote:
oh wow, I got a really peaceful neighborhood here.

I got 116 citizens, a created wealth of more than 400k, and even though my food production is crappy, I dug for adamantine and found about 50 (raw). Also I trained my soldiers in the dangerroom, so I got some legendary militarymen (and -women!).

But nobody ever attacked me. Not even a Goblin ambush wanted to visit my home. Now I'm quite nervous because I fear that this is just the calm before the storm and suddently a monster appears and shares alot of fun with me.


This happened to me too in my most recent game, I had a wealth on 5 million and 100 plus citizens before my first siege. I did have quite a few thieves / titans attack before that though, not sure if it's random?
amatoer
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany212 Posts
June 26 2011 16:06 GMT
#824
oh now they ambushed me and I lost the farmer who scouted them. But my soldiers did a good job killing the 4 goblins without taking damage. Even though some of them were equipped with only bronze short swords, they killed them all, tearing apart the skin of the goblin toes.

But anyway, I have one question about the demands of my mayor. He requires a "decent office" and "decent quarters" and I gave him an office and quarter that are not "decent" (it just says "office"), so how do I give him a decent quarter? Should the furniture be of higher quality (or made of material he loves)? Or is it related to the size of the room? I smoothened and engraved both rooms but it obviously didnt change it's quality.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 26 2011 16:50 GMT
#825
my possessed dwarf just made me an artifact hematite mug! yaaaaaaaay i'm so happy! FUN!
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
shackes
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany148 Posts
June 26 2011 17:29 GMT
#826
On June 27 2011 01:06 amatoer wrote:
But anyway, I have one question about the demands of my mayor. He requires a "decent office" and "decent quarters" and I gave him an office and quarter that are not "decent" (it just says "office"), so how do I give him a decent quarter? Should the furniture be of higher quality (or made of material he loves)? Or is it related to the size of the room? I smoothened and engraved both rooms but it obviously didnt change it's quality.


You said it. Bigger room, smoothing and engraving, better and or more furniture.

And never forget to check the wiki.
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 26 2011 18:24 GMT
#827
arrgh! So I have this fortress that I thought was good. Nice embark location but then I find out there is no sedimentary layers. NONE. WTF how am I supposed to run a metal industry with no freaking metal.

Is my only other option digging down for admantine or a igneous layer? How far down is that. I have only dug as deep as the first cavern so far.
THIS NEEDS FACE!
SanMaya
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands74 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-26 18:35:27
June 26 2011 18:34 GMT
#828
Uhm, you guys should update the OP. The links to the wiki isnt correct anymore.

Maybe gonna play DF again some more :D

Edit: Its now df.magmawiki.com
TLMS
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 26 2011 18:39 GMT
#829
n/m about the ore problem. 2 goblin ambushes solved that problem. Answer: Start a new fortress because all your dwarves are dead.
THIS NEEDS FACE!
AnxiousHippo
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-26 22:05:17
June 26 2011 22:05 GMT
#830
The instructions are confusing enough... I look forward to trying out this game :D
An apple a day keeps the Protoss away | TLHF
WackaAlpaca
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada208 Posts
June 26 2011 22:17 GMT
#831
I've had this idea for a while, it's similar to that other thread about the shared save continuing on and on on TL, but in this one I stream a playthrough and people in the chat can have characters named after them, and tell me what to do.

I'll try this out cuz i think it would be a lot of fun for people to come in and chat about the cool stuff that could happen, and you can even get a dwarf named after yourself! or maybe have an entire bridge built and named after you once you have laid you life down fighting a legendary monster.

Let me know if you think this is a cool idea and if anyone is interested - if a couple are into it, ill post a time when ill do the first stream here and then we can all part together in the chat

P.S.
I just lost another fortress today to mass alligator assault O.O
The wrestlers... they stood no chance... the slaughter...
"
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 26 2011 23:19 GMT
#832
On June 27 2011 07:17 WackaAlpaca wrote:
I've had this idea for a while, it's similar to that other thread about the shared save continuing on and on on TL, but in this one I stream a playthrough and people in the chat can have characters named after them, and tell me what to do.

I'll try this out cuz i think it would be a lot of fun for people to come in and chat about the cool stuff that could happen, and you can even get a dwarf named after yourself! or maybe have an entire bridge built and named after you once you have laid you life down fighting a legendary monster.

Let me know if you think this is a cool idea and if anyone is interested - if a couple are into it, ill post a time when ill do the first stream here and then we can all part together in the chat

P.S.
I just lost another fortress today to mass alligator assault O.O
The wrestlers... they stood no chance... the slaughter...


I would watch! I want to be an epic speardwarf with legendary swimming ;P (Too many times I have lost good dwarves to water)
THIS NEEDS FACE!
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 26 2011 23:26 GMT
#833
I totally want to be the noble who loves sea monster bones, unicorn leather, harps and rose gold. The mandates will be glorious.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 27 2011 00:06 GMT
#834
On June 27 2011 08:26 plated.rawr wrote:
I totally want to be the noble who loves sea monster bones, unicorn leather, harps and rose gold. The mandates will be glorious.

As will your unfortunate accident, ^.^
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-27 01:44:04
June 27 2011 01:37 GMT
#835
I just started playing DF today. Only played for a little bit but it's very much drawing me in, haha. I find myself making up stories of the various dwarves as things happen: two of them got married! and one adopted a puppy which recently grew into a full dog, b'awwwww. A bit frustrating though that they're all partying and not digging for coal. >.<

It's only been a little while, haven't had any invasions or anything, and still figuring out most things (I did manage to trade successfully once lol) but it's quite fascinating.

Thanks for the tip TL -.^ Never thought I'd enjoy an ascii game


edit: I can't figure out what my dwarves are eating though (and cooking escapes me as well). On the z screen, I have like 40 seeds, 60 drink, 54 plants and 22 other but n/a on meat/fish. What exactly are they eating?
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-27 01:57:10
June 27 2011 01:56 GMT
#836
they can eat some plants, and you can make prepared meals from plants in a kitchen. meat and fish is just bonus so to speak, you really only require one food source. But having multiple foods makes your dwarfs happier of course.

To get meat, [v]iew your tame animals and mark them ready for [s]laughter (doesn't work for pets, only "free" tame animals), you need to [b]uild the [w]orkshop for [b]utchery though, and a dwarf must have the butchery labor enabled.

for fishing, just [b]uild a [w]orkshop for fis[h]ery (might be something else then h, dunno^^, it's not f, that's a forge), and have a dwarf enable all fishing labors, and designate an act[i]vitiy zone for [f]ishing somewhere at a river side or some lake/pond/wherever there is water

My latest writeup -> http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=237752
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-27 02:09:00
June 27 2011 02:01 GMT
#837
On June 27 2011 08:26 plated.rawr wrote:
I totally want to be the noble who loves sea monster bones, unicorn leather, harps and rose gold. The mandate will be glorious.


Fixed for you. Nobles of that sort are typically very accident prone and rarely live to see a 2nd mandate.

But anyway, I have one question about the demands of my mayor. He requires a "decent office" and "decent quarters" and I gave him an office and quarter that are not "decent" (it just says "office"), so how do I give him a decent quarter? Should the furniture be of higher quality (or made of material he loves)? Or is it related to the size of the room? I smoothened and engraved both rooms but it obviously didnt change it's quality.


All of the above. Basically each floor/wall tile of the room has a value based on material smooth/rough and engraving (and its quality). Likewise any item you put in the room has a value based on similar qualities. So if you need a "Decent Office" and have a "Meager Office" you can make it bigger, add more stuff, add better stuff, smooth it, and/or engrave it until it meets the requirement.
Logo
TryThis
Profile Joined February 2007
Canada1522 Posts
June 27 2011 02:13 GMT
#838
I'm installing this right now.
I'm a little nervous about what i'm getting myself into.
Dwell
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 27 2011 02:31 GMT
#839
On June 27 2011 11:13 TryThis wrote:
I'm installing this right now.
I'm a little nervous about what i'm getting myself into.


I know when I first tried it the game was so amazingly complex that it put me off a little but if you keep up at it you will have lots of fun and FUN!
THIS NEEDS FACE!
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 27 2011 08:09 GMT
#840
On June 27 2011 11:31 omgCRAZY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2011 11:13 TryThis wrote:
I'm installing this right now.
I'm a little nervous about what i'm getting myself into.


I know when I first tried it the game was so amazingly complex that it put me off a little but if you keep up at it you will have lots of fun and FUN!


Yeah it's pretty complex, but i think a lot of the initial difficulty was caused by the ASCII itself, using a tileset makes things so much simpler!
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs PercivalLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings160
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5058
Jaedong 3223
Leta 2106
Soulkey 1600
EffOrt 850
Soma 461
Horang2 446
Rush 324
BeSt 322
Mini 297
[ Show more ]
Stork 254
Light 236
Pusan 182
Killer 154
ggaemo 152
Larva 149
Zeus 145
Snow 140
Barracks 120
firebathero 85
hero 68
Sea.KH 57
JYJ 57
Mong 55
ToSsGirL 35
sorry 34
Sharp 33
Bale 31
Aegong 25
Shinee 24
Sexy 17
zelot 12
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 8
Shine 8
Icarus 7
Rock 6
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Gorgc7401
Dendi676
qojqva622
XaKoH 389
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_254
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3989
Other Games
gofns45999
singsing1607
olofmeister1344
B2W.Neo790
byalli564
Lowko348
Livibee190
DeMusliM189
mouzStarbuck109
OGKoka 105
Liquid`VortiX83
ArmadaUGS75
Chillindude5
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV535
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream227
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 13
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV357
League of Legends
• Jankos1678
• Nemesis1114
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
10h 44m
Kung Fu Cup
21h 44m
The PondCast
1d 20h
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.