• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:30
CEST 14:30
KST 21:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8461 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 44

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 75 Next
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 01:21:38
June 28 2011 01:21 GMT
#861
On June 28 2011 10:16 JeeJee wrote:
related to above -- are the layers in order? ie always sedi > ii > ie > meta?
different colours of dwarves in u-screen and just in general -- do they mean anything?
an easy way to change preferences (ie say 10 idles, i want them all to start mining)

In the upper right there is a red vertical number that counts how deep you are. If you want your other dwarves to start mining, make sure you have enough picks, turn off everything that might distract them and turn on mining. The colors are Purple for your n menu people, white for masons, brown for farmers, grey for miners, green for hunters and animal dwarves etc.
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 28 2011 01:28 GMT
#862
As a general advice, df.magmawiki.com holds most the information you need.

why do names sometimes flash in u-screen

Flashing dwarves have achieved a legendary skill, such as a craftdwarf after making an artifact due to a mood.
any easy way to search for a particular dwarf?

'u' takes you to the unit page, where all dwarves are listed downwards. I don't think there's any search function, so if you have 200+ dwarves, finding the specific one you want might be tough, but it's a lot better than trying to find specific dwarves through the root screen.
any easy way to search whether the caravan is offering to trade a particular good?

Not really. You can assure they have that type of good by making a request to the liaison who comes with the dwarven caravan, but aside from that, you'll have to figure out how the trade screen is sorted to make searching for specifics easier. As example, weapons are the category before cloth bins and clothes / upper-body armor, while greaves are below the cloth-bins and food-section.
what's up with the negotiations (those sliding bars from 100% onwards) and "view our documents" or whatever) -- what does that do?

That's the goods request - the first time you get that screen (per caravan, obviously), you can ask them to bring specific types of goods. The more you request for them to bring, the higher the price for that object will be once they return, but they will bring that item guaranteed (as long as you're not requesting too much, as they have limited space).
bins? how do they work? (making stockpiles not need to be so huge etc)

Some types of goods (Finished Goods, weapons and armor etc.) can be stored in bins, which saves a lot of space, and makes transporting easier. It's simply a method of room conservation.
how to tell what layer I'm in? (atm I'm using stuff like, well if I see sphalerite I must be in metamorphic)

That's pretty much it - the type of stone in your layer tells you what layer you're in, as the layer type decides what types of gems, stones and metals are possible.
related to above -- are the layers in order? ie always sedi > ii > ie > meta?

Layers are in order, but some areas lack some of the upper layers (and thus iron ore), which is what makes finding a good embark so important, if challenging at times.
different colours of dwarves in u-screen and just in general -- do they mean anything?

The colors are based on the job/s they're got most skill in. Farmers have a light brown, hammerdwarves a cute purple-pink, metalworkers grey and so on.
an easy way to change preferences (ie say 10 idles, i want them all to start mining)

Dwarf Therapist
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 01:44:28
June 28 2011 01:42 GMT
#863
Thanks!
Yeah I have read the wiki a lot, but sometimes it doesn't have particular information that I'm looking for (or more likely I'm looking in the wrong place)
edit: or now that I think about, the most likely explanation is just information overload haha

So for bins, I built some iron bins, my dwarves will figure it out right? I tried placing them in the stockpile area but that didn't work. I figure it's like rock pots/barrels for liquids, as in, they just know, right?

I also did find magnetite so I know I have the "right" layer, but I've almost dug out all of it and haven't found squat. It's not guaranteed to get any coal, is it?
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 28 2011 01:50 GMT
#864
So for bins, I built some iron bins, my dwarves will figure it out right? I tried placing them in the stockpile area but that didn't work. I figure it's like rock pots/barrels for liquids, as in, they just know, right?

Each storage section will try to always have one empty bin in addition to every bin in use - if you've got a lot of storage piles, there will be a lot of bins around everywhere, meaning you'll need a lot. You can reduce / increase bin ammount per stockpile if you highlight the storage pile with 'q', which can help moderate which pile is to get bins first, if bin quantity is a problem.

And yes, it's exactly like pots and barrels, but for a different type of thing.
I also did find magnetite so I know I have the "right" layer, but I've almost dug out all of it and haven't found squat. It's not guaranteed to get any coal, is it?

Ever since 31.19, metal spawning has been recoded which causes scarcity and lack of variance. In addition, the world editor treats coal as a metal for generation purposes, meaning that if your embark location only says "Shallow metal", as in singular "metal" instead of "metals", that biome will only contain one type of metal in the sedimentary layer. This could be magnetite, as in your case, or one strain of coal or one of the other ores of iron. Finding a site with both coal and iron ore is very tough with the new versions.

It's a pain, and I personally hope it's a bug since I hate being forced to use magma for my metal industry instead of having the possibility of a more shallow-digging fort. I haven't seen much other complaints about it though, so I'm afraid it's here to stay. Shame, as it limits game possibilities in my opinion.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 28 2011 04:03 GMT
#865
Is there anyway to check if your embark location will or will not have a sedimentary layer? I set my parameters and everything always seems find. Decent amount of soil, shallow metals, deep metals. no aquifier, etc. But then I find out I have no sedimentary layer and struggle because my metal industry is working off things like tin and copper instead of iron/steel.
THIS NEEDS FACE!
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
June 28 2011 05:04 GMT
#866
On June 28 2011 13:03 omgCRAZY wrote:
Is there anyway to check if your embark location will or will not have a sedimentary layer? I set my parameters and everything always seems find. Decent amount of soil, shallow metals, deep metals. no aquifier, etc. But then I find out I have no sedimentary layer and struggle because my metal industry is working off things like tin and copper instead of iron/steel.

You might want to change the world you made to a plentiful for metals.
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
June 28 2011 06:12 GMT
#867
God damn where does the time go playing this game

I was wrong in my earlier post. I'm definitely not getting the hang of this. So many things I'm missing... somehow my mayor mandated some nickel-silver items to be made, but despite sending tons of dwarves to search for that elusive nickel, I couldn't find any in time. Mayor gets upset and... disappears (????). No idea what happened to him. Somehow I get a new mayor and the only reason I notice this at all is because the new mayor got all pissed off demanding a new office, dining room etc. I was confused for a moment until I realized I was dealing with a new mayor here. At least this guy doesn't love nickel-silver.

Kind of disappointed though.. I'm 99% sure I picked a "shallow metals" site, since the starting guide insisted on it, but I still only found one of the iron metals, no coal or anything. I dug out like everything. I don't seem to have a lot of sedimentary z-levels (I might even have just one, not sure.. I only found magnetite on one level), because ~6 levels down I run into orthoclase, and the first couple of levels are sand.

Think I'll start over, see what a properly self-sustaining fortress is supposed to be. Having dwarves run out all the time to chop some wood and pick some plants isn't all that appealing
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 28 2011 06:32 GMT
#868
Toady needs to implement some kind of dwarven ghost buster squad system.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
AnxiousHippo
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia1451 Posts
June 28 2011 08:10 GMT
#869
I'm already giving up... Maybe I should read a tutorial first...
An apple a day keeps the Protoss away | TLHF
thfrgi
Profile Joined December 2010
33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 10:53:10
June 28 2011 10:51 GMT
#870
It's true that the whole metals business is annoying... I have at least 3 different iron ores on my site, plus some copper/silver ore, but apparently no flux stone at all, which means that i must import it, and while I have some bituminous coal and such, you still need some charcoal to get that started, and the trees are getting scarce out there...
Well at least i found a pretty massive vein of native gold and silver, so it's silver statues all around and golden thrones in the dining room...
I also agree that we need some ghostbusting dwarves. I have like 5 ghosts right now so the game constantly hangs, i have tried engraving some slabs, but despite having 5 different kinds of slabs in storage my craftsdwarf keeps cancelling "engraving slab <Urist McGhost>. needs unengraved slab"
I guess the ghosts don't want to leave and are making him mad ):

Oh and btw relating to my previous bloody misadventures, i don't think it was a loyalty problem as was described, since none of my dwarves was crazed or whatever. Upon checking, most of the armed forces were ecstatic, due to their royal bedrooms and the joy they took in slaughter recently...But now everything is cleaned up (except the bodies of the merchants, who apparently will never be buried) and i have stabilized again.
you know you want her
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 11:19:32
June 28 2011 11:19 GMT
#871
you must craft the slab first before you can engrave it, you know?
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 28 2011 13:22 GMT
#872
To put a spirit to rest, you must:

1. make a rock slab from a mason's workshop
2. engrave a memorial slab at craftdorf workshop.
3. build a slab via the build menu, and pick the correct engraved slab, (not always easy)

Once you do that you should get the "has been put to rest" message.

I basically build like 1-2 slabs when someone dies in an unreachable spot, then engrave one, then build allll my slabs somewhere in an old section of mining tunnel. Usually makes sure I get the right one, even if it also uses some random extra slabs lol.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 28 2011 16:21 GMT
#873
On June 28 2011 22:22 Haemonculus wrote:
To put a spirit to rest, you must:

1. make a rock slab from a mason's workshop
2. engrave a memorial slab at craftdorf workshop.
3. build a slab via the build menu, and pick the correct engraved slab, (not always easy)

Once you do that you should get the "has been put to rest" message.

I basically build like 1-2 slabs when someone dies in an unreachable spot, then engrave one, then build allll my slabs somewhere in an old section of mining tunnel. Usually makes sure I get the right one, even if it also uses some random extra slabs lol.


I dont know if it works for slabs, but when you want to place specific cages (with prisoners) you can do build cage -> and then press x for a specific / more detailed list of cages.
WackaAlpaca
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada208 Posts
June 28 2011 22:12 GMT
#874
Ok, ill stream a new world of TL for people to come in and play with me sometime soon, ill post when as soon as i know.

p.s.
elves came to trade, rejected my offer - calling me a dullard.
My military had fun with their bodies.
"
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 29 2011 00:05 GMT
#875
While removing ramps around my fortress to funnel enemies and caravans in from one direction I accidentally removed my ramps to my fortress without realizing it. After awhile one of the dwarven merchants went berzerk. My military quickly disposed of him and anyone else that went mad and my fortress is stable again but EVERYTHING is being interrupted by eachother. It is so freaking annoying and frustrating. Is there any way to end this or is it now permanent because some of my dwarves and war dogs have tasted dwarven blood? (Side Note: One of my axedwarfs has 6 dwarf kills among his many others...)
THIS NEEDS FACE!
Hyren
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States817 Posts
June 29 2011 01:43 GMT
#876
Any hope for Dwarf Therapist on a Mac? I found a Mac version that someone had cloned but it must be outdated because I got [image loading]when I tried to use it. The link referred to in the image just sends me to download the new Windows version of Therapist.
Power-tripping mod for Trump's stream
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 03:00:45
June 29 2011 02:58 GMT
#877
Welp, started fortress #2. Not that anything's wrong with my old one, but I couldn't find any coal. Hopefully this one will fair better. Here's the embark pic:

[image loading]

Found a layer of dolomite, so that's nice. No luck for coal yet, but I'm hopeful!

edit: also figured out how to get stonesense to work with 31.25! Wish it'd be a little more obvious (I even DL'd the one from a pack that was supposed to work with 31.25, but it didn't. Had to replace the memory.xml file)
Cute bedroom design whee:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

(stole it from wiki, haha. Think I messed up a bit though)
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
June 29 2011 04:18 GMT
#878
I always have stonesense open when I play but I rarely look at it. Maybe if I built cooler stuff. It does give people who see me play the game something to look at that makes sense though. But then, I usually have a whole bunch of windows open when I'm playing so people never really understand anything at all :/
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
June 29 2011 08:20 GMT
#879
So I read that + Show Spoiler +
mining adamantite will eventually cause your city to get a bad message and you lose the game essentially. Is there any way to get adamantite armor and weapons without losing the game?
Hamp
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway100 Posts
June 29 2011 09:03 GMT
#880
Just got out of a sick fight with an Ettin, which left two dwarves dead. Those things really disrupt the fortress until they're killed.
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings168
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko431
ProTech133
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3933
Jaedong 3244
Leta 1530
actioN 957
EffOrt 658
Horang2 561
Soma 413
BeSt 391
Killer 330
Mini 273
[ Show more ]
Rush 221
Stork 220
Pusan 152
Light 147
Barracks 124
Zeus 121
Snow 99
ggaemo 96
Larva 91
JYJ 63
Sea.KH 55
Mong 52
ToSsGirL 42
HiyA 41
hero 40
Bale 35
Sharp 28
Shinee 22
zelot 20
sorry 19
Sexy 14
Noble 10
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 9
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5603
Dendi792
XaKoH 450
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_72
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3951
Other Games
gofns37173
singsing1596
olofmeister1370
B2W.Neo631
byalli508
Livibee187
OGKoka 99
ArmadaUGS60
DeMusliM12
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV379
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream284
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV263
League of Legends
• Jankos1714
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 31m
The PondCast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.