• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:36
CEST 00:36
KST 07:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9663 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 46

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 75 Next
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 17:49:08
July 02 2011 17:41 GMT
#901
Whoa I've never had this happen before. A diplomat has arrived that's a gigantic weasel with external ribs and a humanoid form. It has a poisonous gas. All it's done so far is enter my fort peacefully (after I failed at dropping it down a shaft to kill it thinking it was hostile) and is waiting on my mayor for a meeting.

Turns out he's the diplomat for the humans.

There's something unsettling about a giant weasel human coming by my fortress just to tell me that it's a nice place then leaving.
Logo
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
July 02 2011 18:56 GMT
#902
On July 03 2011 02:41 Logo wrote:
Whoa I've never had this happen before. A diplomat has arrived that's a gigantic weasel with external ribs and a humanoid form. It has a poisonous gas. All it's done so far is enter my fort peacefully (after I failed at dropping it down a shaft to kill it thinking it was hostile) and is waiting on my mayor for a meeting.

Turns out he's the diplomat for the humans.

There's something unsettling about a giant weasel human coming by my fortress just to tell me that it's a nice place then leaving.


"very nice place you have here. Would be a shame is it were to be conquered by external ribbed vermin"
gg wp
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
July 02 2011 23:50 GMT
#903
On July 03 2011 02:41 Logo wrote:
Whoa I've never had this happen before. A diplomat has arrived that's a gigantic weasel with external ribs and a humanoid form. It has a poisonous gas. All it's done so far is enter my fort peacefully (after I failed at dropping it down a shaft to kill it thinking it was hostile) and is waiting on my mayor for a meeting.

Turns out he's the diplomat for the humans.

There's something unsettling about a giant weasel human coming by my fortress just to tell me that it's a nice place then leaving.

Sometimes demons will take over human civilizations by posing as gods.

You will likely end up being attacked by humans eventually, T_T;
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-03 00:21:52
July 03 2011 00:21 GMT
#904
On July 03 2011 08:50 Haemonculus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2011 02:41 Logo wrote:
Whoa I've never had this happen before. A diplomat has arrived that's a gigantic weasel with external ribs and a humanoid form. It has a poisonous gas. All it's done so far is enter my fort peacefully (after I failed at dropping it down a shaft to kill it thinking it was hostile) and is waiting on my mayor for a meeting.

Turns out he's the diplomat for the humans.

There's something unsettling about a giant weasel human coming by my fortress just to tell me that it's a nice place then leaving.

Sometimes demons will take over human civilizations by posing as gods.

You will likely end up being attacked by humans eventually, T_T;


Don't worry I'm already being attacked by 6 other civs (Fortress Defense Mod). What's one more.
Logo
KtheZ
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States813 Posts
July 03 2011 03:10 GMT
#905
Has anyone played the corrosion mod yet? I find it to be a very different experience as compared to normal DF.

Anyone seeking a new experience should most definitely try out the corrosion mod; it can be found on DF forums.

The biggest change is that mining stone is dangerous and kills your miners, none exempt.
And that it appears even being near stone puts your people unconcious.
Thehummel
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark122 Posts
July 04 2011 15:05 GMT
#906
Okay, so i'm trying to find a good spot to embark, but everytime i'm missing a Iron Anvil. Is there any trick to that?
Tabularasa
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany116 Posts
July 05 2011 11:18 GMT
#907
Choose to bring one in the embark screen? Hit Tab when you can adjust the starting skills of your dwarfs.

It costs quite some points, so I usually embark without an anvil and buy one from the first caravan.
KeKeKeKeZergru..... forgot my Spawningpool :<
Thehummel
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark122 Posts
July 05 2011 14:11 GMT
#908
Ahh, figured it out, duh i'm stupid...

Thanks!
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
July 05 2011 14:48 GMT
#909
On July 05 2011 20:18 Tabularasa wrote:
Choose to bring one in the embark screen? Hit Tab when you can adjust the starting skills of your dwarfs.

It costs quite some points, so I usually embark without an anvil and buy one from the first caravan.


I've seen it sometimes where iron anvil appears to be unavailable so you end up with a steel one instead which is kind of annoying as it means you're forced to take no anvil.

I know some people like to take an anvil to start and ore and just craft their picks and axes from that as it comes out as a way to get an anvil and still have a bunch of points.

Really though in this version with such plentiful options for food, drink, and fuel it's not too big of a deal what you start with.
Logo
amatoer
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany212 Posts
July 05 2011 18:34 GMT
#910
FUN!

Looking for Adamantine, I obvioulsy dug too deep and automaticly invited some good friends.
Turns out, that thay decrase my population from >125 to 2 within 5 minutes. But I also figured out that they are not immortal, because I was able to kill 3 of them (with my 40 soldiers)!
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
July 06 2011 14:03 GMT
#911
On July 06 2011 03:34 amatoer wrote:
FUN!

Looking for Adamantine, I obvioulsy dug too deep and automaticly invited some good friends.
Turns out, that thay decrase my population from >125 to 2 within 5 minutes. But I also figured out that they are not immortal, because I was able to kill 3 of them (with my 40 soldiers)!


Pfff at least you had a good militairy. My dorfs couldn't even handle a goblin invasion
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
July 06 2011 14:36 GMT
#912
You killed 3 clowns? That's a hell of an accomplishment! Sheesh my last fortress went from 180 to 0 in a matter of minutes and we didn't even injure a single one!

Then, not content to simply kill everything, they came to the surface and set the entire map on fire!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-06 14:49:10
July 06 2011 14:46 GMT
#913
On July 06 2011 23:36 Haemonculus wrote:
You killed 3 clowns? That's a hell of an accomplishment! Sheesh my last fortress went from 180 to 0 in a matter of minutes and we didn't even injure a single one!

Then, not content to simply kill everything, they came to the surface and set the entire map on fire!

I once set my fort against the depths, holding a chokepoint. Things went well, at first, with my champions in shining armor breaking the first offensive.

Suddenly, I noted the hideous things were attacking from another direction. A look around identified the problem - they had found a way into the underground caverns, and were flying up the fortress well shaft into the hall. I needed to wall it in, but it seemed an impossible task. Impossible until a flash of white darted across the screen.

Mebzuth Evudkubuk, Adamantine-encased champion, dove into the well shaft. On his way down, he tore through the invaders, sending them plummeting - a hideous, thrashing avalanche of Armok's justice. The well shaft deposited the entire mass in a cavern pool - whereupon the Champion cut down every one of the monstrosities. It was not until the last gruesome, beaked maw was hewn that the dwarf succumbed to drowning, having fought the entire time underwater.

The well was secured. The main gate into the depths stood, until I had it collapsed. The Pillar of Steel held the line.

It was about 5 minutes later that I realized they had gotten into the magma sea as well and swum out the top of the map's volcano, covering the entire surface and eradicating life. But really, you have to expect this sort of thing in DF.

Next time, I'm putting a goddamn lid on magma pipes.
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
July 07 2011 07:39 GMT
#914
So I had a dream about dwarf fortress the other night.

I was amongst my dwarfs in a fortress, yet they looked human but bearded. I was hauling wood with them.

Next I remember seeing the dwarf fortress terrain map, and scrolling around it and finding a cave where a hermit lived.

Funny thing is I haven't actually played DF in a few weeks.
gg wp
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
July 07 2011 16:48 GMT
#915
It's a sign. Play DF, or that hermit will come from the cave and kill all your human-dwarf friends.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
July 22 2011 20:22 GMT
#916
I highly recommend everyone read: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html it's a fascinating look into the creator of DF.
Logo
Warpath
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1242 Posts
July 22 2011 20:40 GMT
#917
I just had a goblin snatcher troop make off with one of my dwarven children. What ensued..

The father throws a tantrum and falls into a hole (Which i couldn't locate)
When i had found him, he goes berserk the instant i dig him out.
He immediately sets a jaguar free from its cage
The jaguar promptly kills him and 3 more dwarves
The jaguar is then struck down... By a demon that had managed to sneak into my fortress without being revealed to me.
The demon kills approximately 30 Dwarves before dying, it had turned out one of the dwarves that was killed was my militia commander.
Attempting to seal off the demons via tunnel-collapse, i accidentally fractured a hole in my lava pump which spilled out, flooding 3/4 of my fortress (that's the last time my pump is remotely near my main stairwell)
Oh, and the burrow i had used to hide from the demon was still occupied by the majority of the dwarves.
i have 6 miner dwarves remaining, who all go berserk or are killed by another dwarf.
Last surviving (berserk) dwarf gets a visitation by ghosts that have begun to haunt the fortress, and gets scared enough that he tries to hide in the burrow.
The burrow is still flooded by lava...

-_-
Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-31 15:02:08
July 29 2011 23:56 GMT
#918
Ok, maybe someone knows what is wrong.

I have plenty of coke & charcoal, plenty of ores, but my smelters and forge aren't functioning. Everything is red, and thus i cannot smelt. They were working earlier...

3 people are furnace operators.


Edit (7-31-11)
I figured it out apparently... Burrows screwed it up, i had to include the fuel "room" (bars/blocks stockpile) into my burrow that so happened to include all the workshops. It's probably a bug, because it wasn't even active or anything.
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-02 14:05:52
August 02 2011 13:56 GMT
#919
I was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening: Whenever I try moving caged animals to the trade depot the animal always gets loose, I've tried moving the animal under pet, and under cages, but it always escapes (I had 5 unicorns trapped and I had to slaughter them and turn their pretty skulls into crafts ). Is there anyway to get them to the depot for trading, or am I missing something?

And a story: One of my guys had a mood, and took over a metalsmith. First thing he grabs is an adamantine bar. Knowing that they can make legendary anvils, I was happy to see he made a adamantine battle axe, Trustpurges the Gold of Rogues. Unfortunately it's worth 1657200, which increased the value of my fort by 76% (this is a new game with about 10 hours played). Is there anyway to specifically have one of my axe dwarfs use this weapon? edit: nm I figured this part out
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-02 14:08:37
August 02 2011 14:06 GMT
#920
Assuming you're playing the current version, you can set a dwarf's individual equipment to include 'specific weapon' and select that Axe from the list (it'll appear as its artifact name).

Oh you figured it out 8 seconds before I posted. Nice.

Anyways, I'm currently dabbling with how heavily I can defend an entranceway. Drowning chambers, siege weaponry, marksdwarf emplacements, magma where applicable... what do you guys like using (don't say traps)?
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 135
ViBE83
CosmosSc2 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 568
Artosis 360
910 33
Dota 2
monkeys_forever483
League of Legends
JimRising 479
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS85
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
Liquid`Hasu1397
Other Games
summit1g7603
shahzam520
byalli342
C9.Mang0226
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream187
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki40
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 24m
Stellar Fest
14h 24m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.