• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:15
CEST 01:15
KST 08:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8714 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 48

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 75 Next
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
December 19 2011 03:10 GMT
#941
No way to slow game speed down that I'm aware of. You can pause at will though, so speed shouldn't be an issue.

Be glad it runs fast! You'll feel quite differently once you have 150+ dorfs all busy doing things! This game can really take a toll on your CPU.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
December 19 2011 03:19 GMT
#942
On December 19 2011 12:10 Haemonculus wrote:
No way to slow game speed down that I'm aware of. You can pause at will though, so speed shouldn't be an issue.

Be glad it runs fast! You'll feel quite differently once you have 150+ dorfs all busy doing things! This game can really take a toll on your CPU.

You can limit game calculations on the advanced tab of the Lazy newb pack launcher.
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-19 03:55:32
December 19 2011 03:33 GMT
#943
On December 19 2011 12:10 Haemonculus wrote:
No way to slow game speed down that I'm aware of. You can pause at will though, so speed shouldn't be an issue.

Be glad it runs fast! You'll feel quite differently once you have 150+ dorfs all busy doing things! This game can really take a toll on your CPU.


its cool I got used to it, just wondering if there was an option. thanks though!


lol that is amazing. do you have any screens of your fortress?

edit: nvm I went through the thread and saw your sweet pics! Nice! Are your tilesets all from the lazy newb pack?

btw some of the game reports i read were insanely funny. so many things u can do.
HellRoxYa
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1614 Posts
December 19 2011 04:14 GMT
#944
Haven't played this in a while but personally I use Mike Mayday's tileset:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
December 19 2011 04:15 GMT
#945
I love this game, but can't bring myself to play it until the next update is out. All the things the dev is adding... gonna be too awesome for words.
it's my first day
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-19 08:45:45
December 19 2011 08:01 GMT
#946
what do i do if my dwarfs are sleeping on the job. they stopped mining and are sleeping. i read the wiki and it says they stay asleep for weeks.....

edit: nvm they wake up pretty quick!
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-19 08:59:23
December 19 2011 08:46 GMT
#947
On December 19 2011 17:01 Golgotha wrote:
what do i do if my dwarfs are sleeping on the job. they stopped mining and are sleeping. i read the wiki and it says they stay asleep for weeks.....

Magma. Or hold a pig tail sock under their noses, it's like smelling salts to them.

Should pick this game up again, stopped playing a month or two ago because my current megaproject will take a bajillion years and I felt more like playing Deus Ex and Skyrim.
The megaproject is to destroy my fort as completely as possible. Preparations are huge. Before I took a break, I was digging out every Z-level under my fort all the way down to the magma sea, leaving only thin floor tiles. Every single dorf right now is either a miner, or a farmer/cook/brewer whose only job is to keep the miners alive. Going to simultaneously do all of this, eventually:
1. Equip every dwarf with a pickaxe, wooden shield and leather armor, and draft them into the military. They're all trained with picks by then, so they can fight.
2. Release all the prisoners in my fort, got them all locked up in cages linked to levers.
3. Open up hell and release the parade.
4. Cause a loyalty cascade.
5. Pull the lever to the single support that's holding my fortress standing, making it plummet through the more than a hundred cave floors, making it land on top of the tunnel down to hell. If anyone survives, My fort should theoretically have acted like a gigantic Space Marine drop pod.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-20 00:13:29
December 19 2011 10:00 GMT
#948
On December 19 2011 17:46 Captain Mayhem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2011 17:01 Golgotha wrote:
what do i do if my dwarfs are sleeping on the job. they stopped mining and are sleeping. i read the wiki and it says they stay asleep for weeks.....

Magma. Or hold a pig tail sock under their noses, it's like smelling salts to them.

Should pick this game up again, stopped playing a month or two ago because my current megaproject will take a bajillion years and I felt more like playing Deus Ex and Skyrim.
The megaproject is to destroy my fort as completely as possible. Preparations are huge. Before I took a break, I was digging out every Z-level under my fort all the way down to the magma sea, leaving only thin floor tiles. Every single dorf right now is either a miner, or a farmer/cook/brewer whose only job is to keep the miners alive. Going to simultaneously do all of this, eventually:
1. Equip every dwarf with a pickaxe, wooden shield and leather armor, and draft them into the military. They're all trained with picks by then, so they can fight.
2. Release all the prisoners in my fort, got them all locked up in cages linked to levers.
3. Open up hell and release the parade.
4. Cause a loyalty cascade.
5. Pull the lever to the single support that's holding my fortress standing, making it plummet through the more than a hundred cave floors, making it land on top of the tunnel down to hell. If anyone survives, My fort should theoretically have acted like a gigantic Space Marine drop pod.


hahahaha make sure you take lots of screen shots.

quick question. for some reason my dwarfs will not work on constructing my carpentry workshop. I built 2 at the same time, and they built and finished one, but they will not work on the 2nd one. I waited and waited but they are busy doing other stuff. How do I force them to build it?
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
December 20 2011 09:17 GMT
#949
On December 19 2011 19:00 Golgotha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2011 17:46 Captain Mayhem wrote:
On December 19 2011 17:01 Golgotha wrote:
what do i do if my dwarfs are sleeping on the job. they stopped mining and are sleeping. i read the wiki and it says they stay asleep for weeks.....

Magma. Or hold a pig tail sock under their noses, it's like smelling salts to them.

Should pick this game up again, stopped playing a month or two ago because my current megaproject will take a bajillion years and I felt more like playing Deus Ex and Skyrim.
The megaproject is to destroy my fort as completely as possible. Preparations are huge. Before I took a break, I was digging out every Z-level under my fort all the way down to the magma sea, leaving only thin floor tiles. Every single dorf right now is either a miner, or a farmer/cook/brewer whose only job is to keep the miners alive. Going to simultaneously do all of this, eventually:
1. Equip every dwarf with a pickaxe, wooden shield and leather armor, and draft them into the military. They're all trained with picks by then, so they can fight.
2. Release all the prisoners in my fort, got them all locked up in cages linked to levers.
3. Open up hell and release the parade.
4. Cause a loyalty cascade.
5. Pull the lever to the single support that's holding my fortress standing, making it plummet through the more than a hundred cave floors, making it land on top of the tunnel down to hell. If anyone survives, My fort should theoretically have acted like a gigantic Space Marine drop pod.


hahahaha make sure you take lots of screen shots.

quick question. for some reason my dwarfs will not work on constructing my carpentry workshop. I built 2 at the same time, and they built and finished one, but they will not work on the 2nd one. I waited and waited but they are busy doing other stuff. How do I force them to build it?

My bet would be that the construction got suspended. Hover over it with the Q button to check.
Happens a lot when you build multiple constructions. When you designate a material to be used in a construction, it gets dibbed and may only be moved by one dwarf in the entire universe. Now, let's say this rock (for example) lies in the same spot as your next construction is supposed to be in. Someone tries to construct this second building, but can't since there's a rock in the way that he's not allowed to touch. So because his job has been obstructed, the construction gets suspended and he goes to do the next task on his list. Easy ways to prevent this from happening:
1. Don't build constructions too close to each other.
2. I realize that's kindof a pointless advise for walls, since you often build those by the hundreds, so if you're mass constructing stuff, just keep an eye on the report text for any red stuff flashing by. "Urist McSkippingwork has canceled construction: Site blocked".

OR, it could also be that it simply was set to low priority for unknown/bugged reasons. Just cancel the construction and put it back down, and they should jump right to it.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
December 29 2011 21:26 GMT
#950
On December 19 2011 13:15 myopia wrote:
I love this game, but can't bring myself to play it until the next update is out. All the things the dev is adding... gonna be too awesome for words.


What would those be?
gg wp
PaqMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1475 Posts
January 08 2012 03:26 GMT
#951
Can anyone recommend some cool mods for me to use in adventure mode??
t(ツ)t
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 26 2012 12:22 GMT
#952
Wow. I was herpderping around for years because this game always interested me but I couldn't get past the ASCII crap (yes, I said it! =P)...

LAZY NEWB PACKAGE SAVED MY LIFE HOLY SHIT IS THIS GAME GOOD. <3

I think I've been nerding for 3 days straight and, honestly, so far thanks to the quickstart guide in the wiki I haven't run into anything where my head exploded yet. :>


I'm currently being proud of my 78 dorfs including 3 legendary strone crafters. <3

Questions:
a) Coal. WHERE? DA FK. Can't find anything. It's literally the only think I'm missing.
b) Military training. I set it all up like described here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_quickstart#Schedule ... (I have a Squad with 10 dorfs and told it to train at 7 though) ... And they seem to train slow as hell. Is that normal?
c) Is there any way to make my dorfs stack rock crafts in containers? Same question for ores like Magnetite or Gold Nuggets. I'm having serious space issues.

The entire left storage room is set to ONLY contain finished goods. =S
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
January 26 2012 13:20 GMT
#953
^ Your sig quote is sooooo fitting for dorf fortress!

As for coal, you can also replace it with charcoal if you never found any of the coal-producing materials. Use a wood furnace to turn wood into charcoal. Use a smelter to make coal out of the few random minerals that make coal.

Alternatively, keep digging until you find magma, and build a magma forge/smelter!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ShloobeR
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Korea (South)3851 Posts
January 26 2012 13:39 GMT
#954
Sometimes a map just won't have ANY coal x(

so yeh, then you just gotta make use of charcoal until you get to dat magma
: o )
SirKulinski
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands7 Posts
January 26 2012 14:03 GMT
#955
I've been playing this game for some time now and I find it highly underrated for what you can do with it. Eventually as you get a massive army of Dwarfs it can get a bit tiring to keep things going, but with some aid (i.e Dwarf Therapist) it gets a load easier. I hope they keep on improving on this game, especially the massive FPS drops when having 100+ dwarfs & animals running about.
SirKulinski
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands7 Posts
January 26 2012 14:18 GMT
#956
c) Is there any way to make my dorfs stack rock crafts in containers? Same question for ores like Magnetite or Gold Nuggets. I'm having serious space issues.

The entire left storage room is set to ONLY contain finished goods. =S


They should automatically fill empty containers and bags and all that (whit the things that can be put in them), try to keep as many of them to solve LOADS of space issues. Also, you can set what you want in them and ONLY that will go in the specified container or stockpile (useful to store stone/bones or gems near workshops or the trade depot)

And my guess from what I can see, you ran out of containers, you should mass produce some.

Also, check out Dwarf Fortresses own forums/wiki. You can find a lot of information there.

+ Show Spoiler +
Bay12DF question thread

And the wiki page:
http://df.magmawiki.com/


plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
January 26 2012 17:49 GMT
#957
On January 26 2012 21:22 r.Evo wrote:
Wow. I was herpderping around for years because this game always interested me but I couldn't get past the ASCII crap (yes, I said it! =P)...

LAZY NEWB PACKAGE SAVED MY LIFE HOLY SHIT IS THIS GAME GOOD. <3

I think I've been nerding for 3 days straight and, honestly, so far thanks to the quickstart guide in the wiki I haven't run into anything where my head exploded yet. :>


I'm currently being proud of my 78 dorfs including 3 legendary strone crafters. <3

Questions:
a) Coal. WHERE? DA FK. Can't find anything. It's literally the only think I'm missing.
b) Military training. I set it all up like described here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_quickstart#Schedule ... (I have a Squad with 10 dorfs and told it to train at 7 though) ... And they seem to train slow as hell. Is that normal?
c) Is there any way to make my dorfs stack rock crafts in containers? Same question for ores like Magnetite or Gold Nuggets. I'm having serious space issues.

The entire left storage room is set to ONLY contain finished goods. =S
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

a. Coal allocation's been drastically reduced past 31.18 due to how the world generator handles metal distribution. You'll have to be crazy lucky to find one now. Look for sites with shallow metals, although the division between shallow and deep metals is not the same as the layered division previously, meaning you could have shallow gold if you're unlucky.

Your best bet is to replace the coal industry with lava forges or charcoal from trees.

b. If you organise them in big teams, then yes, training will take years to even aquire basic skills. I usually asign my militia in two-person squads, then leave them training throughout the year.

The reason big groups doesn't work, even with 7 out of 10 practice, is that any sparring, which is what gives most skill, is cancelled whenever any member of the group leaves. With 7 people, you'll pretty much always have someone leaving to grab a drink or take a nap, meaning a lot of cancelled training for the whole bunch.

c. Crafts, bars and such stack in bins. Create those in your carpenter's shop.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 26 2012 22:07 GMT
#958
Aight, thanks for the help on coal & training. <3

Due to loads of FUN from not having a graveyard I started a new fortress and.... now my mountain is full of coal. Gj me. <3³


On the bins&pots: I STILL can't get my dorfs to stick crafts into rock pots. I think I'm missing some kind of option somewhere.

The storage I'm using for finished goods has bins & barrels allocated to it. The global reserve is at 0. No other stockpile uses rock pots atm. And they still refuse to use any single rock pot for crafts.

What am I missing? =S
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 22:12:41
January 26 2012 22:11 GMT
#959
Pots are like barrels, not bins.

There are two types of containers basically.

Pots/Barrels for food and liquids (some pots aren't watertight and only work with food)
Bins are for most general goods like finished goods.

You can make bins from metal or wood, but not stone.
Logo
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 26 2012 22:17 GMT
#960
On January 27 2012 07:11 Logo wrote:
Pots are like barrels, not bins.

There are two types of containers basically.

Pots/Barrels for food and liquids (some pots aren't watertight and only work with food)
Bins are for most general goods like finished goods.

You can make bins from metal or wood, but not stone.


FML.

I misread the wiki as pots being the equivalent of bins ;;

"Pots, the stoneware equivalent of barrels, can also be used to store alcohol and other related liquids."
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE137
CosmosSc2 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 594
Artosis 553
910 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever623
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Counter-Strike
minikerr17
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5910
Other Games
summit1g7752
shahzam570
C9.Mang0282
ArmadaUGS82
Trikslyr44
ZombieGrub30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick547
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen256
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
45m
Kung Fu Cup
11h 45m
Stellar Fest
13h 45m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.