• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:22
CEST 22:22
KST 05:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8335 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 50

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 75 Next
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-30 00:45:03
January 30 2012 00:37 GMT
#981
I set up a bunch of 11x11 rooms, arranged above each other. 7 workshops around a center staircase which runs through the middle of the column. This is nice because you can just find your workshop tower, and hop up and down to find all needed workshops.

Then stockpiles and storage are above or below or sometimes adjacent to the workshop tower. Dorfs can run from the top of the workshop tower to the "basement" full of supplies in like 6-7 tiles because of how 3d works. Very efficient!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
antilyon
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Brazil2546 Posts
January 30 2012 00:58 GMT
#982
So, I was playing dungeons of dredmor and got into roguelike once again.But I've never played ASCII based roguelikes before, and I started today with angband, would you recommend me DF or I should get more experience with easier ones before?
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 30 2012 03:15 GMT
#983
On January 30 2012 09:58 antilyon wrote:
So, I was playing dungeons of dredmor and got into roguelike once again.But I've never played ASCII based roguelikes before, and I started today with angband, would you recommend me DF or I should get more experience with easier ones before?


In all honesty, while Dwarf Fortress is probably the most complex game in its genre I don't feel it is "ohmahgawd incredibly hard". I mean, I always enjoyed stuff like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius and I worked very strictly after 2-3 newb guides for Dwarf Fortress right when I started but that was really enough to get me going. I stayed away from DF for years because of the ASCII graphics but tilesets make it perfectly fine.


Imo the "DF is hard" comes from the fact that there is no tutorial and no ingame guidance at all. In stuff like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius the rooms get unlocked as you progress, you learn which unit does what over time. In DF it is like "Yo you can do whatever you want. Enjoy~! kthxbai!" and I imagine if you just start the game and want to play right here right now you're pretty fucked.

Use the newb guides I linked above, use the Lazy Newb Pack for tilesets and sounds (even though the original ingame music is awesome as fuck, never getting on my nerves. never.) and make sure you regard the guides as some kind of tutorial you can work with.

If you still have trouble, check the wiki and finally if you're still having too much FUN for your taste... ask stuff here. :>


Stick to the above and you'll be fine, even without any prior experience imo.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
thesideshow
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
930 Posts
January 30 2012 07:16 GMT
#984
On January 30 2012 09:58 antilyon wrote:
So, I was playing dungeons of dredmor and got into roguelike once again.But I've never played ASCII based roguelikes before, and I started today with angband, would you recommend me DF or I should get more experience with easier ones before?


DF isn't a rougelike though. It's more a simulation.
OGS:levelchange
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 30 2012 21:05 GMT
#985
omg. I just watched this dudes tutorial for embarking in an evil ice biome and I gotta say he builds his start incredibly efficient. Even though he totally fucks up and has a lot of FUN in the end. =D

"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
January 30 2012 21:23 GMT
#986
What are the new features of the new release?
gg wp
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 30 2012 22:05 GMT
#987
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Iceman331
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1306 Posts
January 31 2012 06:29 GMT
#988
This games looks fun as hell, but it's a nightmare to get started with. I look at a map and have no fucking clue what I am seeing, much less what to do with it.
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
January 31 2012 16:02 GMT
#989
When I first tried DF I looked at it and my first through was "wat?"

I immediately looked up guides and such, foregoing graphical tilesets for the sole reason that I didnt want to spend time fucking around with my install, since I grabbed the official release and not the lazy newb pack.

After a few hours I was able to understand what was going on like there was a graphical map of stuff... To me the ascii "graphics" really are graphics now.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
January 31 2012 16:16 GMT
#990
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).
Logo
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 31 2012 16:54 GMT
#991
On February 01 2012 01:16 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).


From what I gathered from the bay12forums Toady announced in 2007 (! =D) that he wants to make all symbols as possible graphics (e.g. goblins are .png, most items or stones aren't - that's why you end up with the male symbol being e.g. a bucket in most tilesets). His problems seem to be that he'd have to dig into sourcecode from around 2002-2003 and that he has no clue how to solve the problem with an artist doing the job for him.

I'd be totally fine if he finds a way of making all symbols in the game moddable. He once said that he keeps running into a wall because ASCII simply doesn't have enough characters for the stuf he wants to implement anymore and that he has to change it sooner or later anyway. :>
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
January 31 2012 17:05 GMT
#992
On February 01 2012 01:54 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2012 01:16 Logo wrote:
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).


From what I gathered from the bay12forums Toady announced in 2007 (! =D) that he wants to make all symbols as possible graphics (e.g. goblins are .png, most items or stones aren't - that's why you end up with the male symbol being e.g. a bucket in most tilesets). His problems seem to be that he'd have to dig into sourcecode from around 2002-2003 and that he has no clue how to solve the problem with an artist doing the job for him.

I'd be totally fine if he finds a way of making all symbols in the game moddable. He once said that he keeps running into a wall because ASCII simply doesn't have enough characters for the stuf he wants to implement anymore and that he has to change it sooner or later anyway. :>


Yeah that'd all be great, but what I'm talking about is more the symbols that ARE moddable have really wonky defaults.

You can change all the stone symbols, but by default they have a really weird range of symbols: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone

There's 10 symbols for sedimentary rock and none of them are 'blank' (as in no symbol and just a square box) and only 11 types of sedimentary rocks. And even worse most of the symbols aren't a shading pattern or anything like that, but something stupid like a , . or # sign in the middle of the rock making the screen look a lot 'dirtier' than it needs to. Just have 4-5 symbols for generic layer rocks that are all something like a solid or shaded pattern, then use special symbols for important stones like flux, metals, etc.

No new features are needed you can already do it yourself, it's just a pain in the ass to do.
Logo
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
January 31 2012 17:50 GMT
#993
On February 01 2012 02:05 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2012 01:54 r.Evo wrote:
On February 01 2012 01:16 Logo wrote:
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).


From what I gathered from the bay12forums Toady announced in 2007 (! =D) that he wants to make all symbols as possible graphics (e.g. goblins are .png, most items or stones aren't - that's why you end up with the male symbol being e.g. a bucket in most tilesets). His problems seem to be that he'd have to dig into sourcecode from around 2002-2003 and that he has no clue how to solve the problem with an artist doing the job for him.

I'd be totally fine if he finds a way of making all symbols in the game moddable. He once said that he keeps running into a wall because ASCII simply doesn't have enough characters for the stuf he wants to implement anymore and that he has to change it sooner or later anyway. :>


Yeah that'd all be great, but what I'm talking about is more the symbols that ARE moddable have really wonky defaults.

You can change all the stone symbols, but by default they have a really weird range of symbols: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone

There's 10 symbols for sedimentary rock and none of them are 'blank' (as in no symbol and just a square box) and only 11 types of sedimentary rocks. And even worse most of the symbols aren't a shading pattern or anything like that, but something stupid like a , . or # sign in the middle of the rock making the screen look a lot 'dirtier' than it needs to. Just have 4-5 symbols for generic layer rocks that are all something like a solid or shaded pattern, then use special symbols for important stones like flux, metals, etc.

No new features are needed you can already do it yourself, it's just a pain in the ass to do.


Ah, now I got what you meant.

Yeah, that stuff makes like no sense. dno, to me it sounds like toady is just being lazy about this part of the game and keeps trying to work around it. =D
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-31 18:45:55
January 31 2012 18:45 GMT
#994
Well it makes sense. While a pain to change we CAN change it. Meanwhile we have no way to add in magic, sewers, re-animated body parts, or true vampires in by ourselves.

Still a little frustrating though.
Logo
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-01 04:03:27
February 01 2012 03:55 GMT
#995
So my first embark into a half calm/half sinister area went pretty cool so far. Some booze-stealing Gnomes were slaughtered early and some Elephants fell to my superior hunters (ggnore?).

About 3 years after embark shortly after each other two forgotten beasts showed up in my first cavern (which I luckily had sealed off anyway <3). I didn't know those things fight other... things.

My new favorite beast ("Tofi" - come on, it sounds cute, doesn't it?) just cleaned up a squad of Bat Spearmen. Thank you Tofi!

Right now I'm waiting for Tofi to meet the other forgotten beast down there (which name I totally forgot). Reminds me of that thread which showed japanese videos of scorpions, spiders and other insects fighting each other. Oh, well. Unless Tofi dies from his wounds from the bat-fight I'm sure he will bring glory to my empire and kill any other threats down there.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



PS: What does my dorf want to tell me with this artifact? I'm not bloody enough? I need to slaughter green pigs? OMG ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE INCOMING BRB.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
February 01 2012 13:11 GMT
#996
On February 01 2012 02:05 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2012 01:54 r.Evo wrote:
On February 01 2012 01:16 Logo wrote:
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).


From what I gathered from the bay12forums Toady announced in 2007 (! =D) that he wants to make all symbols as possible graphics (e.g. goblins are .png, most items or stones aren't - that's why you end up with the male symbol being e.g. a bucket in most tilesets). His problems seem to be that he'd have to dig into sourcecode from around 2002-2003 and that he has no clue how to solve the problem with an artist doing the job for him.

I'd be totally fine if he finds a way of making all symbols in the game moddable. He once said that he keeps running into a wall because ASCII simply doesn't have enough characters for the stuf he wants to implement anymore and that he has to change it sooner or later anyway. :>


Yeah that'd all be great, but what I'm talking about is more the symbols that ARE moddable have really wonky defaults.

You can change all the stone symbols, but by default they have a really weird range of symbols: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone

There's 10 symbols for sedimentary rock and none of them are 'blank' (as in no symbol and just a square box) and only 11 types of sedimentary rocks. And even worse most of the symbols aren't a shading pattern or anything like that, but something stupid like a , . or # sign in the middle of the rock making the screen look a lot 'dirtier' than it needs to. Just have 4-5 symbols for generic layer rocks that are all something like a solid or shaded pattern, then use special symbols for important stones like flux, metals, etc.

No new features are needed you can already do it yourself, it's just a pain in the ass to do.


I like the idea that each stone has it's own symbol. Every stone has different properties and I like knowing what I'm dealing with at a glance. It's perfectly understandable from a programmer's point of view as well as a hardcore player (and let's face it, this game is not for the faint of heart). Some rock is magma safe, some is not, some rock contains certain gems etc. I know there are some nearly identical types of rock, but many of them have some sort of difference that sets them apart.

Also, am I the only person driven nuts by the tile used for periods in the graphical tileset most people use?
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-01 16:35:53
February 01 2012 16:23 GMT
#997
On February 01 2012 22:11 Bobbias wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2012 02:05 Logo wrote:
On February 01 2012 01:54 r.Evo wrote:
On February 01 2012 01:16 Logo wrote:
On January 31 2012 07:05 r.Evo wrote:
On January 31 2012 06:23 Ulfsark wrote:
What are the new features of the new release?


You can read alot about it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html


However, I just found out that Mike Mayday (author of the Mayday tileset) will switch a lot of his stuff towards the original ASCII code instead of attempting to make it fully graphical.

"Toady keeps adding new items, objects etc. without support for more symbols for them. Unfortunately, this was making DFG more and more of a mess."

QQ T_T;;


Nice (to me at least).

I like the more ASCII look because it's cleaner than doubling up on symbols, but I hate the default ascii because of the ugly colors and a lot of stuff being messy or more complex than it needs to be (like the crazy number of different symbols for different rocks that are almost the exact same).


From what I gathered from the bay12forums Toady announced in 2007 (! =D) that he wants to make all symbols as possible graphics (e.g. goblins are .png, most items or stones aren't - that's why you end up with the male symbol being e.g. a bucket in most tilesets). His problems seem to be that he'd have to dig into sourcecode from around 2002-2003 and that he has no clue how to solve the problem with an artist doing the job for him.

I'd be totally fine if he finds a way of making all symbols in the game moddable. He once said that he keeps running into a wall because ASCII simply doesn't have enough characters for the stuf he wants to implement anymore and that he has to change it sooner or later anyway. :>


Yeah that'd all be great, but what I'm talking about is more the symbols that ARE moddable have really wonky defaults.

You can change all the stone symbols, but by default they have a really weird range of symbols: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone

There's 10 symbols for sedimentary rock and none of them are 'blank' (as in no symbol and just a square box) and only 11 types of sedimentary rocks. And even worse most of the symbols aren't a shading pattern or anything like that, but something stupid like a , . or # sign in the middle of the rock making the screen look a lot 'dirtier' than it needs to. Just have 4-5 symbols for generic layer rocks that are all something like a solid or shaded pattern, then use special symbols for important stones like flux, metals, etc.

No new features are needed you can already do it yourself, it's just a pain in the ass to do.


I like the idea that each stone has it's own symbol. Every stone has different properties and I like knowing what I'm dealing with at a glance. It's perfectly understandable from a programmer's point of view as well as a hardcore player (and let's face it, this game is not for the faint of heart). Some rock is magma safe, some is not, some rock contains certain gems etc. I know there are some nearly identical types of rock, but many of them have some sort of difference that sets them apart.

Also, am I the only person driven nuts by the tile used for periods in the graphical tileset most people use?


So you have basically a few different types:
-Soil
-Sand
-Layer Rock
-Vein Rock
-Magma Safe Rock
-Flux Stone
-Metals
-Gems
-Coal
-Obsidian

So I agree Obsidian, Coal, Gems, and Metals should all have symbols that stand out (they're important).
Flux Stone should look differently because it's important, but something that doesn't stand out too much since it's common depending on your location. Same with Magma Safe Rock and Veins (it's good to know you're dealing with a vein).

That leaves Soil, Sand, Layer Rock.

Now the differences between different types of layer rock are nice to know, but how important is it really? Without looking at the wiki can you tell the difference between the 11 different sedimentary types? What does siltstone carry that mudstone doesn't? If you need to look at the wiki to tell the difference anyways then what's the big deal about hitting k to look at what type of layer rock it is first in the few rocks that overlap in color and type? It's a 2 second addition to something that's going to take you a minute to do anyways.

Anyways I'll explain the scheme I like to make it clearer. (This is just one of a few possibilities of course)
NULL - All layer rock except sedimentary
░ - Soil
~ - Sand (or the double tilde)
▒ - Sedimentary (different from other layer rocks because it can be an aquifer)
▓ - Rock Veins the symbol for mined stone is also good for veins if you want to use this one elsewhere.
# - Flux stone
▲- Obsidian and Magma Safe rock (with latest magma safe changes might want to split magma safe stuff to down arrow sign or something)
☼ - Gems
* - Metal Ores
= - Fuel

There can also be more play around the 2ndary color to help distinguish rock without having to use a bunch of cluttering symbols.

The above scheme + the color differences between stones means you know exactly what you are dealing with except for the subtle differences that you need the wiki for anyways. And you can't complain too much about having to k at stone occasionally since all mined stone has the same symbol anyways!

Even better I'll usually use a graphical tileset with a few more characters that end up like what I have for Sedimentary and Rock Veins (a shading rather than symbol) so I can do things like make flux stone that so it blends better and looks nicer or separate the metamorphic rock from the igneous.

The stand out symbols like , . % # etc. are way too noisy for something that's as unimportant as Siltstone vs Mudstone. By not using them when I come across something really important it immediately stands out and catches my eye.
Logo
drivec
Profile Joined May 2009
United States354 Posts
February 10 2012 00:09 GMT
#998
updates looks like its going to be out very soon iam very excited. really i haven't played df a ton. but recently i got lucky and got up to 160 dwarfs in my fortress had admantine. but i had such a hard time getting my military going that i lost due to a really big invasion from goblins.
starcraft is chess at warp speed
manloveman
Profile Joined April 2011
424 Posts
February 10 2012 02:38 GMT
#999
A little bit of fun for the toady fans(Tarn, the df creater you nubbins):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Good read. Those two brothers are somthing special
Eben
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States769 Posts
February 11 2012 19:16 GMT
#1000
is there a certain gold or dwarf threshold that you need to break before invasions come? I have had many ambushes, but no invasions. 93 dwarves
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 351
JuggernautJason90
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 576
White-Ra 180
firebathero 75
910 45
Trap 23
NaDa 10
Counter-Strike
Fnx 771
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0164
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9423
crisheroes1796
Liquid`Hasu1731
Trikslyr83
Other Games
summit1g5541
Liquid`RaSZi5510
Beastyqt827
shahzam520
B2W.Neo283
KnowMe139
IndyStarCraft 138
Pyrionflax129
ArmadaUGS126
ZombieGrub100
UpATreeSC55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream403
Other Games
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV316
League of Legends
• TFBlade983
Other Games
• imaqtpie792
• Shiphtur297
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 38m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.