• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:49
CEST 10:49
KST 17:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7682 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 52

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 75 Next
drivec
Profile Joined May 2009
United States354 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 00:49:09
February 19 2012 00:36 GMT
#1021
yup had some FUN in my new fortress like right off the bat. with some giant wolverines and learned that i started with a really awsome miner who is very slow to tire and strong. she has 2 scares now but she is a badass.

also as iam posting iam looking at a giant peregrin falcon. lots of FUN some to come.

edit: oh ya giant peregrin falcon for lunch.

good tip for new version is to turn off pause on births because in the new versions babies are born so often its crazy
starcraft is chess at warp speed
Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
February 20 2012 02:06 GMT
#1022
On February 15 2012 02:11 snow2.0 wrote:
O GOD WHY

exam tomorrow -_-




of course that didnt keep me from genning some.

1st try: crashed around 270 on medium region
2nd try: halfed the time limit, found that i didnt really want to wait all that long, cancelled.
3rd try: 200 year medium region, gens just fine.
Age of Heroes.
...
3.2: Age of Heroes.
3.3: Age of Heroes.

My megabeasts keep getting themselves chopped up within the first 100-110 years

Tried genning a large region; took some more time but it stayed in the age of myth... until i cancelled it for not responding anymore, around 270 years in.
At that point it was taking up 770mb ram; i think it would've crashed somewhere around 1100 anyway.

Generally i'm getting tons more historical figures.
15000 living in a medium region of 200 years!
For some reason my 31.x worlds all had around 1/8th of that.

Large region, 200 years.
again, most megabeasts are killed within 100 years.
Survivors are:
Male Roc II
Bronze Colossus III
Female Dragon II
Male Dragon I
Female Hydra I
out of 4 pages.

How do you dig into the deeper data of your worlds regarding historical figures and beasts and stuff?
I'm sure it's obvious, but I havent toyed much around with utilities beyond playing fairly vanilla (with tilesets + therapist)
snow2.0
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 03:56:19
February 20 2012 03:51 GMT
#1023
actually i dug all those figures up by simply using legends mode. Megabeasts are easy as they're all listed at the beginning of historical figures.
i have read of at least one utility that can extract legends and presumably display it in a more readable fashion.

I only use therapist and dfhack for my df'ing; dfhack mostly to figure out if my site actually has steel making capability and to plan my digging to align with caverns.

As of 34.xx, after doing this i generally get torn apart by a giant wolverine or similar. Too lazy to build a wall, just watch em die.
First time i was pretty bemused to find a dead dwarf without an announcement xD new death report system is nice.
Sachem
Profile Joined May 2011
United States116 Posts
February 20 2012 04:06 GMT
#1024
I just found+ Show Spoiler +
hell
for the last time, it was "fun". I left a passage back up open, which, needless to say didn't go too well.

New goal: embark on the same map, retake the fortress using not cheap methods.
Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
February 20 2012 05:56 GMT
#1025
On February 20 2012 12:51 snow2.0 wrote:
actually i dug all those figures up by simply using legends mode. Megabeasts are easy as they're all listed at the beginning of historical figures.
i have read of at least one utility that can extract legends and presumably display it in a more readable fashion.

I only use therapist and dfhack for my df'ing; dfhack mostly to figure out if my site actually has steel making capability and to plan my digging to align with caverns.

As of 34.xx, after doing this i generally get torn apart by a giant wolverine or similar. Too lazy to build a wall, just watch em die.
First time i was pretty bemused to find a dead dwarf without an announcement xD new death report system is nice.

Hmm, alright. Thanks!

I'm more or less waiting for all the stuff to be easily updated in the new version + bug fixes -- aka Lazy Newb Pack 10.0 or whatever they call it.
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
February 20 2012 14:42 GMT
#1026
Had my first vampire yesterday. Ate my bone carver, which wasn't much of a loss. I figured out who it was and intended on getting rid of her, but then two squads of goblin spearmen ambushed me and killed off half my militia. I force-drafted her into the defense force as my poplulation was pretty drastically reduced at that point, and managed to barely hold on against the following ambush of goblin archers thanks to her. By now I was considering her more valuable in my military than the random death she'd cause. Then she took a bite from my lorekeeper. Long story short, she's now in jail awaiting her 50 hammerstrikes.

On a sitenote though - has anyone else experienced a higher frequency of kobold thieves and goblin snatchers? While before I'd get one or two per caravan approximately, I seem to get packs of 5-8 of each during the same periods now. Makes for a lo more !!FUN!! of course, especially considering getting proper armor and metals is a pain since 31.19.

Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 17:07:40
February 20 2012 17:07 GMT
#1027
I love this game so much :D

Embarked on a terrifying glacier. The first thing that happens is that it starts raining rotten muck, and my entire group starts vomiting. We dig straight down until we find a cavern to set up the farms, stills and workshops there while fending off swarms of crundles, drunians and cave trolls.

So far 8 dwarves have died to monsters, tantrumers and berserkers. 9 are still alive, one of whom is a vampire that I've locked up, and another is melancholic since his wife and only child died, and is probably about to off himself any day now.
The most valuable ore I've struck so far is tetrahedrite. The dormatory and dining room are perpetually covered in miasma, one of my two soldiers is one bad hair day away from tantruming and killing everybody. I have no booze because my farmers are busy enough trying to farm food in between the troll attacks. The only thing I had to trade with this years caravan were some vomit covered clothes, for which I traded some seeds and a metal bar.
My only protection to the outside so far is a stone door. I will die immediately if goblin invaders bring a troll, or if I'm attacked by a dragon or titan. I don't even have a door in between me and a future forgotten beast.

End of year one.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Arhkangel
Profile Joined August 2007
Argentina769 Posts
February 22 2012 07:29 GMT
#1028
So, I've heard people talking about DF for years now. I have downloaded the game a couple of times but never got into it. Lately I've been watching Jefmajor stream his DF session on Twitch and been reading this thread for a couple of pages now plus the release of a new version I figured this is a good time to get started. I got the client and I really would like to start playing, preferably without any mods installed at first but what I usually do with games is just hit up the Wiki for some basic information and go at it like a retarded monkey with a hammer but that hasn't worked very well so far. In fact I cant even seem to get anyone to do anything :p The guides the OP posted are dead links so if anyone could please show me some a good tutorials for someone that has no idea WTF is going on and what to do; I'm talking seriously basic stuff, then please link it for me cus everything I find is either outdated or talking about stuff I have no idea how to even see in the game.

My problem is not the ASCII, so installing a gfx mod won't really help me be less retarded. I actually think the game looks fine and I can distinguish basic stuff pretty easily, I just can't seem to figure out how to even begin to interact/play. The game is a little hard to get into, but I guess that adds to it's charm.

P.S. Videos would be da bomb. Thank you
Part Time Ninja
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
February 22 2012 07:41 GMT
#1029
look up captain ducks vids on youtube
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 08:07:55
February 22 2012 08:00 GMT
#1030
On February 22 2012 16:29 Arhkangel wrote:
So, I've heard people talking about DF for years now. I have downloaded the game a couple of times but never got into it. Lately I've been watching Jefmajor stream his DF session on Twitch and been reading this thread for a couple of pages now plus the release of a new version I figured this is a good time to get started. I got the client and I really would like to start playing, preferably without any mods installed at first but what I usually do with games is just hit up the Wiki for some basic information and go at it like a retarded monkey with a hammer but that hasn't worked very well so far. In fact I cant even seem to get anyone to do anything :p The guides the OP posted are dead links so if anyone could please show me some a good tutorials for someone that has no idea WTF is going on and what to do; I'm talking seriously basic stuff, then please link it for me cus everything I find is either outdated or talking about stuff I have no idea how to even see in the game.

My problem is not the ASCII, so installing a gfx mod won't really help me be less retarded. I actually think the game looks fine and I can distinguish basic stuff pretty easily, I just can't seem to figure out how to even begin to interact/play. The game is a little hard to get into, but I guess that adds to it's charm.

P.S. Videos would be da bomb. Thank you


I searched "Dwarf Fortress Getting Started" on YouTube and a wonderful German explained how to "Get Started".

I've run into a bit of an issue which has me heartbroken. My fortress is pretty kickass, I have ~200 dwarf population, with a 30 dwarf military, I'm ready to start "exploring" this cavern, after defending myself from a whole lot of "fun" and now it fucking crashes within 3 minutes of loading my game every time.

Data Execution Prevention is making me a sad panda, and Windows won't let me disable it. I'm beginning to think I've lost this battle.

EDIT: Times were pretty grim when my Armorer crafted the + Show Spoiler +
http://i.imgur.com/NAtIP.jpg
but I fear this fortress has met the end of times.
twitch.tv/duttroach
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
February 22 2012 15:35 GMT
#1031
I like captnduck's 2 and a half hour tutorial. I recommend taking notes.
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
ArcticVanguard
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
February 22 2012 22:01 GMT
#1032
Anyone having issues with caravans not being able to reach anywhere on the map in 34.02?
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
snow2.0
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 22:47:51
February 22 2012 22:44 GMT
#1033
On February 23 2012 07:01 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Anyone having issues with caravans not being able to reach anywhere on the map in 34.02?

unable to reach?
you sure it doesnt just say they left their wagons behind because they couldnt find a path for them to your fort?

Wagons have made a comeback; they need a 3 wide path to your trade depot and can only change z lvls through ramps.
shift+D should show you if there is a path.
ArcticVanguard
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
February 22 2012 22:51 GMT
#1034
On February 23 2012 07:44 snow2.0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2012 07:01 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Anyone having issues with caravans not being able to reach anywhere on the map in 34.02?

unable to reach?
you sure it doesnt just say they left their wagons behind because they couldnt find a path for them to your fort?

Wagons have made a comeback; they need a 3 wide path to your trade depot and can only change z lvls through ramps.
shift+D should show you if there is a path.

Yeah I checked, there wasn't a path on the entire map.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
snow2.0
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany2073 Posts
February 22 2012 23:27 GMT
#1035
On February 23 2012 07:51 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2012 07:44 snow2.0 wrote:
On February 23 2012 07:01 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Anyone having issues with caravans not being able to reach anywhere on the map in 34.02?

unable to reach?
you sure it doesnt just say they left their wagons behind because they couldnt find a path for them to your fort?

Wagons have made a comeback; they need a 3 wide path to your trade depot and can only change z lvls through ramps.
shift+D should show you if there is a path.

Yeah I checked, there wasn't a path on the entire map.

well. make one.
3 tiles wide, no trees, no boulders (d->s to smooth them over), no walls or whatever else might be in the way.
And ramps of course.
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 15:31:22
February 25 2012 15:30 GMT
#1036
Do you think they'll ever add a multiplayer option for this game? I just started playing it yesterday and it's really fun, but my brother can't play with me like he wants to.

If there is multiplayer in a mod please direct me to it.

plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
February 25 2012 15:48 GMT
#1037
I remember there being a thread on the DF forum about some "multiplayer" thing, but I can't recall the specifics. Either it was some program allowing multiple people to input commands into the same game (think SC1 team, with one base but more people controlling the units), or it was just people twatting around on skype while playing on the same embark, but with individual clients.

That said, I don't think toady's mentioned wanting to make DF multiplayer. I imagine once the army arc is out though, the potential of having your own fort and sending armies against your enemy's forts would be appealing to many, so some sort of multiplayer mod might be created.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
February 25 2012 15:49 GMT
#1038
Aw man I was holding together a fort in a terrifying biome, had everyone bottled up and self-sufficient away from the blood-drenched outer world, when a Yak starved to death in the main hall.

Fun ensued.
Nikentic
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden51 Posts
February 26 2012 11:24 GMT
#1039
I have tried to watch tutorials on youtube at several occasions but I just can't get into it. It looks like a lot of fun
drivec
Profile Joined May 2009
United States354 Posts
February 26 2012 13:21 GMT
#1040
On February 26 2012 00:30 Chocolate wrote:
Do you think they'll ever add a multiplayer option for this game? I just started playing it yesterday and it's really fun, but my brother can't play with me like he wants to.

If there is multiplayer in a mod please direct me to it.




http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:Dfterm2


havnt used it and not sure if its what your looking for but its what people use to play "multiplayer".
starcraft is chess at warp speed
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 197
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1192
Bisu 682
hero 163
HiyA 114
Shine 67
Soma 34
Mong 32
sorry 27
EffOrt 24
NotJumperer 23
[ Show more ]
Bale 20
Killer 20
ZerO 15
Noble 12
Sharp 12
Terrorterran 9
League of Legends
JimRising 489
Counter-Strike
ceh9507
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft757
crisheroes580
Other Games
olofmeister1022
singsing672
Livibee233
Pyrionflax68
ArmadaUGS49
gofns26
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream532
Other Games
gamesdonequick531
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 14
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH333
• LUISG 27
• StrangeGG 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2395
League of Legends
• Jankos1225
• Rush1222
• Lourlo979
• Stunt428
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
1h 11m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
15h 11m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 2h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.