• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:16
CEST 15:16
KST 22:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7545 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 47

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 75 Next
japro
Profile Joined August 2010
172 Posts
August 03 2011 11:30 GMT
#921
I just can't figure out how to get to lava to build a lava forge? I found a lava pool but it is completely surrounded by warm of partially molten stone which my mines won't dig through.
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
August 03 2011 11:32 GMT
#922
On August 03 2011 20:30 japro wrote:
I just can't figure out how to get to lava to build a lava forge? I found a lava pool but it is completely surrounded by warm of partially molten stone which my mines won't dig through.

Semi-molten rock can't be dug through. Channel above it to access the magma.

If it's just 'warm stone', you can dig into it and create a suitable area.
Jumbled
Profile Joined September 2010
1543 Posts
August 03 2011 11:33 GMT
#923
On August 03 2011 20:30 japro wrote:
I just can't figure out how to get to lava to build a lava forge? I found a lava pool but it is completely surrounded by warm of partially molten stone which my mines won't dig through.

They will dig through it if you tell them a second time. They're just oddly cautious about breaching walls next to hot magma. Crazy, huh?
Wihl
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden472 Posts
August 17 2011 20:03 GMT
#924
So whats going on in your fortresses atm? I've just started a new fortress in an area with salt water, haven't gotten the purification process up and running yet and one of my miners managed to fall and break a leg (*cough* not my fault at all) and now there's no water to wash the wound I'm thinking this will end in tragedy/fun quite soon if I cant get the purification stuff set up but I'll have to trade for some of the parts.
Naeroon
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada166 Posts
September 02 2011 07:31 GMT
#925
Hey guys! I absolutely love this game, I got into it recently and have enjoyed every minute of it

Anyways I usually rely on foraging and underground farms for my food, but ive wanted to try my luck at animals and having butchers. However... Whenever i do, I usually end up with really bad clouds of miasma all through my fort. Does anyone know how to properly deal with this?
Tyrran
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
France777 Posts
September 02 2011 08:37 GMT
#926
On September 02 2011 16:31 Naeroon wrote:
Hey guys! I absolutely love this game, I got into it recently and have enjoyed every minute of it

Anyways I usually rely on foraging and underground farms for my food, but ive wanted to try my luck at animals and having butchers. However... Whenever i do, I usually end up with really bad clouds of miasma all through my fort. Does anyone know how to properly deal with this?


Build a closed room where you store dead animal bodies. If you let bodies rot in open area, it will create lots and lots of miasma. Also, if you rely only on animals to make food, pay attention to your booze supply :p.

Lastly, famous Dwarf saying : Save CPU, Butcher a Kitty !
Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
September 02 2011 11:52 GMT
#927
I usually build my butcher's shop above ground. And then obviously have some dorf with the butchery skill on 24/7, and try to keep the shop filled with "butcher an animal" commands. This way whenever something dies, (your hunters have a habit of killing things and just sort of leaving them there on the ground), the bodies will be processed quickly.

Then through your Z menu in animals you can designate "tame" creatures to be butchered.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
September 02 2011 12:16 GMT
#928
On September 02 2011 16:31 Naeroon wrote:
Hey guys! I absolutely love this game, I got into it recently and have enjoyed every minute of it

Anyways I usually rely on foraging and underground farms for my food, but ive wanted to try my luck at animals and having butchers. However... Whenever i do, I usually end up with really bad clouds of miasma all through my fort. Does anyone know how to properly deal with this?

My food production in general is usually workshops set into their own 3x3 spaces with doors. The butcher's shop(s) has a connecting set of back doors into a refuse stockpile specifically for that purpose.
amatoer
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany212 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-07 18:40:17
September 07 2011 18:27 GMT
#929
On August 18 2011 05:03 Wihl wrote:
So whats going on in your fortresses atm? I've just started a new fortress in an area with salt water, haven't gotten the purification process up and running yet and one of my miners managed to fall and break a leg (*cough* not my fault at all) and now there's no water to wash the wound I'm thinking this will end in tragedy/fun quite soon if I cant get the purification stuff set up but I'll have to trade for some of the parts.

well I'm doing fine. Or at least I was untill Goblins decided to ambush me and I figured out that all my 30 dwarfwarriors were not that frightening. So six Goblins killed all my warriors and started to party in my fortress.
On my second attempt, I was too greedy and dug too deep. So in some cavern a bird-ish one horned forgotten beast found my legendary miner and invited himself to a party in my fortress. I bet the beast had the best intentions + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
but it spread deadly smoke when moving, so all my dwarfes died pretty quickly.

So I have to start again, soon. But well, I'm still learning this game (and I think you will always learn sth new..)
Seldentar
Profile Joined May 2011
United States888 Posts
September 07 2011 19:00 GMT
#930
Add World of Warcraft graphics to this game instead of ASCII crap, and the whole world will play it
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
September 07 2011 19:10 GMT
#931
ASCII crap? Wowowowowo get out chump
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaLifeXXL
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States365 Posts
September 07 2011 19:30 GMT
#932
ASCII is for the ballinest of nerds
If you can do it; you should do it every time.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
September 16 2011 22:21 GMT
#933
i hope you dont mind me bumping this to say this , you people who enjoy Dwarf Fortress might be interested in trying out this other game i just made a post about. its very detailed, immersive, hardcore, open-world and interesting. its a text-based game so its hard to get people to try it , but you guys specifically might be more receptive. link
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
reneg
Profile Joined September 2010
United States859 Posts
September 28 2011 23:41 GMT
#934
On September 08 2011 04:00 Seldentar wrote:
Add World of Warcraft graphics to this game instead of ASCII crap, and the whole world will play it


you also know that this game has a large number of tilesets you can download (just grab the lazynewb pack, and you don't even have to install them).

You aren't REQUIRED to look at the ascii. I prefer mayday's tileset myself, it adds a lot of good feeling to the game.
moose...indian
SnK-Arcbound
Profile Joined March 2005
United States4423 Posts
October 10 2011 00:10 GMT
#935
So I've been attempting to launch a new caravan in my ideal place, which means randomly generating worlds until I find it. Basically I want Giant Tigers and other creatures like that which I can capture and train into war animals and see how well they do in combat. I found a good place, but set out with a hunter, who enraged a large group of badger boars who killed him, then 2 of my other dwarves. With 3 remaining dwarves nothing was getting done, so I need to find another place to set out. If you're going to set out in dangerous areas, don't take along a dwarf who is going to piss off all the wildlife.
HellRoxYa
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1614 Posts
October 10 2011 01:10 GMT
#936
On September 29 2011 08:41 reneg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 04:00 Seldentar wrote:
Add World of Warcraft graphics to this game instead of ASCII crap, and the whole world will play it


you also know that this game has a large number of tilesets you can download (just grab the lazynewb pack, and you don't even have to install them).

You aren't REQUIRED to look at the ascii. I prefer mayday's tileset myself, it adds a lot of good feeling to the game.


<3 Mayday tileset. Maybe I should load me up some DF and waste a few hours...
Isualin
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1903 Posts
December 07 2011 20:50 GMT
#937
my butchery and carpentry keeps getting cluttered. i have a refuse stockpile and a food stockpile with empty space and idle dwarves. is there anyting else i have to do :S is it something to do with the skill level of the operator?
| INnoVation | The literal god TY | ByuNjwa | LRSL when? |
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
December 08 2011 01:29 GMT
#938
On December 08 2011 05:50 Isualin wrote:
my butchery and carpentry keeps getting cluttered. i have a refuse stockpile and a food stockpile with empty space and idle dwarves. is there anyting else i have to do :S is it something to do with the skill level of the operator?


Maybe try having 1-2 dwarves that can only haul food or whatever you are making from your carpenter, and have special stockpiles nearby perhaps.
gl
gg wp
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
December 08 2011 01:33 GMT
#939
make a corpse stockpile ;P refuse is only for dead vermin, dead animals and dwarfs go to corpse stockpile. (dwarfs into coffins, but if no coffin is available, temporarily corpse stockpile.)
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
December 19 2011 03:04 GMT
#940
newbie here! really enjoying playing this game. very fun! BTW for people who have no idea wtf they are doing and want a step by step tutorial I suggest following this great and simple guide! just for beginners: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

One question: Is there a way to slow down the game speed? My dwarfs work really fast
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs PercivalLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings160
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5058
Jaedong 3223
Leta 2106
Soulkey 1600
EffOrt 850
Soma 461
Horang2 446
Rush 324
BeSt 322
Mini 297
[ Show more ]
Stork 254
Light 236
Pusan 182
Killer 154
ggaemo 152
Larva 149
Zeus 145
Snow 140
Barracks 120
firebathero 85
hero 68
Sea.KH 57
JYJ 57
Mong 55
ToSsGirL 35
sorry 34
Sharp 33
Bale 31
Aegong 25
Shinee 24
Sexy 17
zelot 12
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 8
Shine 8
Icarus 7
Rock 6
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Gorgc7401
Dendi676
qojqva622
XaKoH 389
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_254
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3989
Other Games
gofns45999
singsing1607
olofmeister1344
B2W.Neo790
byalli564
Lowko348
Livibee190
DeMusliM189
mouzStarbuck109
OGKoka 105
Liquid`VortiX83
ArmadaUGS75
Chillindude5
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV535
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream227
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 13
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV357
League of Legends
• Jankos1678
• Nemesis1114
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
10h 44m
Kung Fu Cup
21h 44m
The PondCast
1d 20h
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.