• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:09
CEST 10:09
KST 17:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8018 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 48

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 140 Next
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 05 2011 00:14 GMT
#941
Qe2
+ Show Spoiler [rationale] +
At least in correspondence games, I'm very materialistic. I figure that if we can't find a winning plan, the chances are that our opponent can find a winning defense, and vice versa.

7. 0-0 sacrifices a pawn to Black and 7. cxd4 leaves the material even. I haven't looked much at 7. Qe2, but in the lines that have been given at least, Black is the one who sacrifices a pawn to us. I like winning pawns, so I'm voting for Qe2.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Malli
Profile Joined September 2005
Germany138 Posts
September 05 2011 00:29 GMT
#942
+ Show Spoiler +
In my database i found 9 games with 7. cxd4 and 21 with 7. 0-0.
Qe2 was never played.
FYI:
7. cxd4 was usually followed by 7... Bb4+ 8. Nbd2 0-0 9. 0-0 (e.g. Short - Kamsky '94)

7. 0-0 was usually followed by 7.... d5 8. exd6 OR Nxd4

gg no re
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 05 2011 00:36 GMT
#943
Votes

7. cxd4: 16 (jdseemoreglass, itsjustatank, ikari, Soluhwin, sleepingdog, Malinor, WarChimp, shackes, Chezus, Shootist, Sc1pio, durza, Archers_bane, BaronFel, Xaerkar, Malli, DibujEx)
7. Qe2: 6 (LaXerCannon, MrProphylactic, indigoawareness, Babyfactory, noclaninator, qrs)
7. 0-0: 4 (Raysalis, chesshaha, jdseemoreglass, wuBu)
7. Nbd2: 1 (amazingxkcd)
7. Bxc6: 1 (mastergriggy)
[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
wizard944
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
194 Posts
September 05 2011 01:12 GMT
#944
7. cxd4
Kassar DeTemplari
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 02:16:33
September 05 2011 02:16 GMT
#945
On September 05 2011 09:29 Malli wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
In my database i found 9 games with 7. cxd4 and 21 with 7. 0-0.
Qe2 was never played.
FYI:
7. cxd4 was usually followed by 7... Bb4+ 8. Nbd2 0-0 9. 0-0 (e.g. Short - Kamsky '94)

7. 0-0 was usually followed by 7.... d5 8. exd6 OR Nxd4


+ Show Spoiler +

Yes, I want to confirm this. I did a position search of my database, and I found:

O-O - 15 games
cxd4 - 7 games
Qe2 - 0 games

This doesn't prove the best moves of course, but it at least provides some perspective.

Here are three example games of the move 7. O-O, each offering different ideas and directions for those who don't have a database.

Vasily Smyslov vs. Juri Randviir
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1125546

Leonid Stein vs. Boris Spassky
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1128486

Svetozar Gilgoric vs. Robert Fischer
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1044513
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 04:07:14
September 05 2011 02:58 GMT
#946
On September 05 2011 11:16 jdseemoreglass wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 09:29 Malli wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
In my database i found 9 games with 7. cxd4 and 21 with 7. 0-0.
Qe2 was never played.
FYI:
7. cxd4 was usually followed by 7... Bb4+ 8. Nbd2 0-0 9. 0-0 (e.g. Short - Kamsky '94)

7. 0-0 was usually followed by 7.... d5 8. exd6 OR Nxd4


+ Show Spoiler +

Yes, I want to confirm this. I did a position search of my database, and I found:

O-O - 15 games
cxd4 - 7 games
Qe2 - 0 games

This doesn't prove the best moves of course, but it at least provides some perspective.

Here are three example games of the move 7. O-O, each offering different ideas and directions for those who don't have a database.

Vasily Smyslov vs. Juri Randviir
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1125546

Leonid Stein vs. Boris Spassky
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1128486

Svetozar Gilgoric vs. Robert Fischer
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1044513

[spoiler] Do not know what databases you are searching, but you should try chess base if you have it ( I wouild but I am not at my house this week so I am not on my personal computer and do not have access to my chess base account ( need to get a labtop just for this fact ). One Singapore Master I happen to know , Chan Wei Xuan has had some success with it . The game I am most familiar with was against Master Khandewal in 2007 Singapore in which white wins I believe( back when he was just a Master like me , he is a 2400 IM level now and still growing ) , he favors Qe2 as an improvement in this line last we time we talked about it (quite often masters will find old outdated openings like this , and make small improvements to suprise poeple , since all the games you are providing are like pre-1970 it is not shocking you are not finding this move( It is a fairly new Idea if I recall . But your database must be limited all those games you provided are 40 years old .Not many gms I know of even currently play this opening choice of an early d4 that lead to these positions for white , accept maybe a few , Adams being the most notable having a game in the last year or so if I remember correctly . Unless you actually have chessbase all the games for this opening are going to be outdated I wager , as it is not currently in fashion for white on a Gm LEVEL and it seems most of the games 50 years ago seem to favor those two moves , That doesn't mean improvements have not been found .I seriously question limited databases, a database of 22 mere games 50 years old or more is hardly convincing on a theory level .But then Again I happen to personally know masters that have used this move here. anyway I am over it . But if Qe2 is a less-known Idea maybe NG5 is not as up to date on the theory in this line . If you had chessbase10 Qe2 would be in it numerous times , I know this for a fact .You must be searching chessgames.com or chesslab or something like that
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
September 05 2011 03:02 GMT
#947
7. cxd4. I don't like 0-0 or Qe2 is the time for move 7 because of that d-pawn. Black could do some discovered attack with the bishop if we don't get rid of the pawn right now.
im deaf
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:10 GMT
#948
I want to explore this position a little before I decide
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 05 2011 03:12 GMT
#949
On September 05 2011 12:02 imBLIND wrote:
7. cxd4. I don't like 0-0 or Qe2 is the time for move 7 because of that d-pawn. Black could do some discovered attack with the bishop if we don't get rid of the pawn right now.
Like what?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:21 GMT
#950
I don't like castling so far. I can't find a way where we DON'T go down a pawn.
7. cxd4 for now
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:22 GMT
#951
On September 05 2011 12:12 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 12:02 imBLIND wrote:
7. cxd4. I don't like 0-0 or Qe2 is the time for move 7 because of that d-pawn. Black could do some discovered attack with the bishop if we don't get rid of the pawn right now.
Like what?

nxf2
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:22 GMT
#952
well, if we plan on castling without Qe2
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:28 GMT
#953
actually, and sorry to spam, I'm going to vote for Qe2
it really is our best chance to end up on material in comparison to cxd4, believe it or not. He will, at the best, have to waste another move on his knight.
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 05 2011 03:28 GMT
#954
7. Qe2
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 05 2011 03:30 GMT
#955
On September 05 2011 12:22 Bill Murray wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 12:12 qrs wrote:
On September 05 2011 12:02 imBLIND wrote:
7. cxd4. I don't like 0-0 or Qe2 is the time for move 7 because of that d-pawn. Black could do some discovered attack with the bishop if we don't get rid of the pawn right now.
Like what?

nxf2
+ Show Spoiler +
8. Qxf2
Now Black is down a Knight. What next?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
noclaninator
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada19 Posts
September 05 2011 04:12 GMT
#956
+ Show Spoiler +
Why cxd4 is bad: after 7. cxd4 0-0 we cannot play the material winning move Qe2 anymore because after 8. Qe2 d5 9. exd6 black can safely recapture the pawn with Nxd6 and we play cxd4 leaving us even in material. Qe2 on the other hand leads to the land of happiness after 7. Qe2 d5 8. exd6 when the knight is pinned and hanging and we have a nuisance pawn on d6 that is going to cause some more damage. Play might continue Bf5 9. Nd2 where black really really wants to play Qe7 to break the pin but trollpawn is there to put a stop to that. 7. Qe2 will lead to a more open attacker's game while cxd4 simplifies the position significantly (and doesn't take advantage of the mass brainpower we have). I could go on but no one would read my full post.
My country is the world and my religion is to do good.
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
September 05 2011 04:12 GMT
#957
7. 0-0

+ Show Spoiler +
It seems you guys don't know this - Chessbase has a large searchable onling database...go to www.chesslive.de. You may have to install Microsoft Silverlight if you don't already have it. 279 games with 6...Ne4 and 7.0-0 is by far the most popular response. My own look at the lines has convinced me that either of the three most popular lines (7.0-0, 7.cxd4, 7.Qe2) is playable, but I prefer the looks of the 0-0 lines a little more.
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 04:36:44
September 05 2011 04:36 GMT
#958
On September 05 2011 11:58 MrProphylactic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 11:16 jdseemoreglass wrote:
On September 05 2011 09:29 Malli wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
In my database i found 9 games with 7. cxd4 and 21 with 7. 0-0.
Qe2 was never played.
FYI:
7. cxd4 was usually followed by 7... Bb4+ 8. Nbd2 0-0 9. 0-0 (e.g. Short - Kamsky '94)

7. 0-0 was usually followed by 7.... d5 8. exd6 OR Nxd4


+ Show Spoiler +

Yes, I want to confirm this. I did a position search of my database, and I found:

O-O - 15 games
cxd4 - 7 games
Qe2 - 0 games

This doesn't prove the best moves of course, but it at least provides some perspective.

Here are three example games of the move 7. O-O, each offering different ideas and directions for those who don't have a database.

Vasily Smyslov vs. Juri Randviir
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1125546

Leonid Stein vs. Boris Spassky
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1128486

Svetozar Gilgoric vs. Robert Fischer
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1044513

+ Show Spoiler +
Do not know what databases you are searching, but you should try chess base if you have it ( I wouild but I am not at my house this week so I am not on my personal computer and do not have access to my chess base account ( need to get a labtop just for this fact ). One Singapore Master I happen to know , Chan Wei Xuan has had some success with it . The game I am most familiar with was against Master Khandewal in 2007 Singapore in which white wins I believe( back when he was just a Master like me , he is a 2400 IM level now and still growing ) , he favors Qe2 as an improvement in this line last we time we talked about it (quite often masters will find old outdated openings like this , and make small improvements to suprise poeple , since all the games you are providing are like pre-1970 it is not shocking you are not finding this move( It is a fairly new Idea if I recall . But your database must be limited all those games you provided are 40 years old .Not many gms I know of even currently play this opening choice of an early d4 that lead to these positions for white , accept maybe a few , Adams being the most notable having a game in the last year or so if I remember correctly . Unless you actually have chessbase all the games for this opening are going to be outdated I wager , as it is not currently in fashion for white on a Gm LEVEL and it seems most of the games 50 years ago seem to favor those two moves , That doesn't mean improvements have not been found .I seriously question limited databases, a database of 22 mere games 50 years old or more is hardly convincing on a theory level .But then Again I happen to personally know masters that have used this move here. anyway I am over it . But if Qe2 is a less-known Idea maybe NG5 is not as up to date on the theory in this line . If you had chessbase10 Qe2 would be in it numerous times , I know this for a fact .You must be searching chessgames.com or chesslab or something like that

well I looked up chessbase, and saw it was $141.55, so I guess that's out of the question now lol....
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
WarChimp
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia943 Posts
September 05 2011 08:33 GMT
#959
On September 04 2011 21:53 MrProphylactic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2011 19:37 WarChimp wrote:
I feel kinda bad now that I am voting what everyone else is. But I came into this thread to say 7. cxd4
Let's get on with this!

Why would you feel bad if you think it is the best move . or are you saying you voted it just because everyone else did ? I would suggest if you are not going to take the time to look at the position and acutally think , and read the analysis people are providing to come up with an intellectually based vote, then do not vote at all . voting out of pure democratic-influence is quite silly imo, if that is in fact what you mean; also there is no hurry until the deadline(which is what btw ?)


That's not what I was saying at all. I merely meant, I believe that cxd3 is the best move in my opinion I just felt kind of bad because it seems like my vote was only cxd3 because other people have voted it. That's why I felt bad, looks can be quite deceiving. Other's peoples opinion on cxd3 had not altered my mind to vote for that move. My original post seems quite confusing, sorry for that.
indigoawareness
Profile Joined October 2010
Slovakia273 Posts
September 05 2011 08:35 GMT
#960
Your posts are hard to read MrProphylactic.
To sleep, perchance to dream.
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 746
GuemChi 588
Leta 324
BeSt 240
Soma 174
Hyun 130
firebathero 110
Mong 68
910 48
sSak 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 26
yabsab 19
ZergMaN 18
HiyA 12
Noble 8
Shine 2
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss561
ceh9523
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King347
Other Games
summit1g8228
olofmeister845
JimRising 484
Happy336
KnowMe48
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick455
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt440
• Jankos241
Other Games
• Shiphtur485
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 51m
Patches Events
7h 51m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.