• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:33
CEST 19:33
KST 02:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7338 users

Alpha Centauri - Page 3

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Tracil
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Australia505 Posts
June 11 2011 05:33 GMT
#41
You can set multiplayer games to give you a time limit.

The game was awesome, and quite complex, but because the netcode was shitty I don't think there was ever a significant multiplayer community. There was a lot of luck involved with early city placement and pods. Was great fun to play, though. Would've liked to get a 7-player game going, but yeah that never happens.
Shooting
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
June 11 2011 06:29 GMT
#42
Yeah you can set multi to timelimit, but otherwise it is just good ol turnbased!
Zona
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
40426 Posts
June 11 2011 06:33 GMT
#43
This game is better than all other Civilization games and clones, despite the advances made in the more recent ones. Customizable units, changing faction bonuses and penalties (including the extreme benefits), the story, the terran, everything was so amazing.

If only the AI was stronger I'd play this game and nothing else. It's eventually gotten tiring even to eat transcend AI's alive with just worms...
"If you try responding to those absurd posts every day, you become more damaged. So I pay no attention to them at all." Jung Myung Hoon (aka Fantasy), as translated by Kimoleon
-{Cake}-
Profile Joined October 2010
United States217 Posts
June 11 2011 06:52 GMT
#44
On June 11 2011 11:46 deth2munkies wrote:

Edit: Oh yeah, if you can help it, GET THE LONGEVITY VACCINE. It's a decent project in itself, but the cutscene is hilarious.



Out of all that quality advice to new players, this is the most important part

Also, Forests.
nepeta
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1872 Posts
June 11 2011 07:33 GMT
#45
Just start out building colony pods until you've got about 15 cities, then build a formers unit for every city, then start building more colony pods, recreation commons, network nodes until you've got about 30 cities, then mix in some military units so you

Just try some stuff, it's not like dwarf fortress :p

Also, the meteorite can be summoned quite easily: Get a map with a huge land base (without any water tiles in a main continent), can do this via the customize world size or via editing the alphax.txt, get 50+ cities, and it'll be snowflakes all over the place. I once had a meteor take out the city which built all of my projects, about 20 of them Build projects in your HQ, as it won't get hit!
Broodwar AI :) http://sscaitournament.com http://www.starcraftai.com/wiki/Main_Page
Perscienter
Profile Joined June 2010
957 Posts
June 11 2011 14:39 GMT
#46
On June 11 2011 12:56 r.Evo wrote:
I don't get how there is no remake of that game yet.

It was the fucking best civ-like game ever created.

It's not necessary to create a remake. It's already a very complete game. One or two patches wouldn't hurt, though. But which game doesn't need a new patch?

If they would create a remake, they'd probably screw it up with 3d graphics, bugs, huge waiting times between rounds etc.
Diks
Profile Joined January 2010
Belgium1880 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 14:56:38
June 11 2011 14:54 GMT
#47
On June 11 2011 23:39 Perscienter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2011 12:56 r.Evo wrote:
I don't get how there is no remake of that game yet.

It was the fucking best civ-like game ever created.

It's not necessary to create a remake. It's already a very complete game. One or two patches wouldn't hurt, though. But which game doesn't need a new patch?

If they would create a remake, they'd probably screw it up with 3d graphics, bugs, huge waiting times between rounds etc.


Starcraft Broodwar

I've never heard of Alpha Centauri and that's a shame as this seems to be quite an interesting and deep game. I would like to give a try but the game seems so complexe at first.
Are there any good tutorials on the net ?
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
June 11 2011 15:16 GMT
#48
God, Jinro's OP totally freaked me out. I was like "I figured that loss in Super Tournament would affect him, but I never thought it could be THIS bad". And then I saw the posting date. =P

But yeah, on topic, AC is a pretty epic game. It's weird that people didn't hear of it, I thought it was quite famous, and it's pretty mainstream too. It's not exactly Dwarf Fortress complex, it's quite well designed and playable, I definitely recommend it to everyone.
SilentchiLL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany1405 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 15:42:04
June 11 2011 15:23 GMT
#49
I'm just 17 but sid meyers Alpha Centauri(the addon Alien crossfire was even better <3) was one of the first strategy games I've played AND my first sex dream was about Aki Zeta 5 from Alien crossfire :D
possum, sed nolo - Real men play random. ___ "Who the fuck is Kyle?!" C*****EX
Fraidnot
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States824 Posts
June 11 2011 15:41 GMT
#50
On June 12 2011 00:23 SilentchiLL wrote:
I'm just 17 but sid meyers Alpha Centauri(the addon Alien crossfire was even better <3) was one of the first strategy games I've played AND my first sex dream was about Aki Zeta 5 from Alien crossfire :D

TMI dude, to much information.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
June 11 2011 15:44 GMT
#51
On June 11 2011 23:54 Diks wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2011 23:39 Perscienter wrote:
On June 11 2011 12:56 r.Evo wrote:
I don't get how there is no remake of that game yet.

It was the fucking best civ-like game ever created.

It's not necessary to create a remake. It's already a very complete game. One or two patches wouldn't hurt, though. But which game doesn't need a new patch?

If they would create a remake, they'd probably screw it up with 3d graphics, bugs, huge waiting times between rounds etc.


Starcraft Broodwar

I've never heard of Alpha Centauri and that's a shame as this seems to be quite an interesting and deep game. I would like to give a try but the game seems so complexe at first.
Are there any good tutorials on the net ?

If you've ever played a Civilization game, you will find it quite familiar.

Otherwise, the game has some interactive tutorials (whenever you open a new screen or get a new unit for the first time, it will point out what all the buttons do and how to do everything) and meta strategy can be found around the net, although I and some others have provided a few tips here and there in the thread.
SilentchiLL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany1405 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 15:45:53
June 11 2011 15:44 GMT
#52
On June 12 2011 00:41 Fraidnot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 00:23 SilentchiLL wrote:
I'm just 17 but sid meyers Alpha Centauri(the addon Alien crossfire was even better <3) was one of the first strategy games I've played AND my first sex dream was about Aki Zeta 5 from Alien crossfire :D

TMI dude, to much information.


prudish american :/ ^^

btw if you want to play it on Xp you'll have to download a patch from the official site and change a number in the gamefiles
possum, sed nolo - Real men play random. ___ "Who the fuck is Kyle?!" C*****EX
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
June 11 2011 16:04 GMT
#53
On June 11 2011 15:33 Zona wrote:
This game is better than all other Civilization games and clones, despite the advances made in the more recent ones. Customizable units, changing faction bonuses and penalties (including the extreme benefits), the story, the terran, everything was so amazing.

If only the AI was stronger I'd play this game and nothing else. It's eventually gotten tiring even to eat transcend AI's alive with just worms...


I agree with this completely, though I prefer the immersion of civ games. It felt better to discover some historic tech that actually happened in our history.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
June 11 2011 16:33 GMT
#54
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
murphs
Profile Joined April 2011
Ireland418 Posts
June 11 2011 16:46 GMT
#55
Played this a lot while I was 8 or 9, mind worms haunted me...
SilentchiLL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany1405 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 16:50:39
June 11 2011 16:49 GMT
#56
On June 12 2011 01:33 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".


try updating it to the latest patch and if it still doesn't work then try the solution for XP the explanation and the downloads are here
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=7


EDIT: If you liked alpha centauri I strongly recommend the addon Alien Crossfire
possum, sed nolo - Real men play random. ___ "Who the fuck is Kyle?!" C*****EX
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
June 11 2011 16:55 GMT
#57
On June 12 2011 01:49 SilentchiLL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 01:33 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".


try updating it to the latest patch and if it still doesn't work then try the solution for XP the explanation and the downloads are here
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=7


EDIT: If you liked alpha centauri I strongly recommend the addon Alien Crossfire

I have all those installed =[ GOG compatibility lists the game yo buy from them as being WIn7 compatible from the get go too.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 17:06:46
June 11 2011 16:58 GMT
#58
On June 12 2011 01:33 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".

I had the crash problem on vista and the patch fixed it.

I haven't had a problem with it on 7 yet.

In RE: Alien Crossfire, I've tried to find it anywhere but e-bay and super overpriced on Amazon, but it's just not there. Like I said, it's tied up in rights issues so GOG can't stock it atm, and they'll probably give it out for free if and when they do get it (to people that bought the game, and include it in future purchases), but for now all I can say is that it's on TPB.

Also, I had a hilarious sequence of quotes, I finished the Supercollider ("God does not play dice. - Albert Einstein, Datalinks) Followed by Probability Mechanics the next turn ("Einstein would turn over in his grave, not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded." -Chairman Yang). XD
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 17:02:15
June 11 2011 16:58 GMT
#59
On June 12 2011 01:55 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 01:49 SilentchiLL wrote:
On June 12 2011 01:33 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".


try updating it to the latest patch and if it still doesn't work then try the solution for XP the explanation and the downloads are here
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=7


EDIT: If you liked alpha centauri I strongly recommend the addon Alien Crossfire

I have all those installed =[ GOG compatibility lists the game yo buy from them as being WIn7 compatible from the get go too.


Did you try that silly compatability mode junk? It actually works sometimes.

edit: Now that I think about it, I recall having that same issue and believe compatability mode fixed it? I could be wrong though.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
June 11 2011 17:05 GMT
#60
On June 12 2011 01:58 Mikilatov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 01:55 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On June 12 2011 01:49 SilentchiLL wrote:
On June 12 2011 01:33 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
This thread reminded me and made me buy it,

but its crashing on Win7 - "Terran.exe has stopped working".


try updating it to the latest patch and if it still doesn't work then try the solution for XP the explanation and the downloads are here
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=7


EDIT: If you liked alpha centauri I strongly recommend the addon Alien Crossfire

I have all those installed =[ GOG compatibility lists the game yo buy from them as being WIn7 compatible from the get go too.


Did you try that silly compatability mode junk? It actually works sometimes.

edit: Now that I think about it, I recall having that same issue and believe compatability mode fixed it? I could be wrong though.

tried all T_T
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM708
TKL 312
TaKeTV 261
IndyStarCraft 177
BRAT_OK 137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 665
TKL 312
IndyStarCraft 167
ProTech139
BRAT_OK 131
UpATreeSC 80
MaxPax 78
Rex 59
MindelVK 19
EmSc Tv 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 937
EffOrt 592
Mini 534
ggaemo 178
firebathero 167
Barracks 59
910 56
Hyun 48
Shine 42
Shinee 40
[ Show more ]
Killer 31
Bale 28
Sea.KH 25
ToSsGirL 20
Trap 19
soO 17
yabsab 11
White-Ra 0
Dota 2
qojqva4385
Counter-Strike
Fnx 720
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3840
crisheroes1455
Liquid`Hasu1069
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2670
singsing1727
B2W.Neo1016
ceh9570
Beastyqt560
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0127
Dewaltoss109
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream459
Other Games
BasetradeTV194
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 6
EmSc2Tv 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile119
• Reevou 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2672
• TFBlade920
Other Games
• Shiphtur202
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 27m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 27m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.