• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:12
CEST 17:12
KST 00:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8297 users

Alpha Centauri - Page 8

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 All
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 28 2013 13:57 GMT
#141
On November 28 2013 17:14 ninazerg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 11:23 deth2munkies wrote:
My friends and I played a game of AC over LAN one time. Went on for 8 hours and we were barely 50 turns in. It can take quite a while.


You can save the game and come back to it later...


Yeah, we just didn't.
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
November 28 2013 17:07 GMT
#142
COME ON GUYS, I WANT TO PLAY.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
November 28 2013 17:55 GMT
#143
Like the only Meier game I never played. Is it free yet?
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
November 29 2013 05:38 GMT
#144
On November 29 2013 02:55 ayaz2810 wrote:
Like the only Meier game I never played. Is it free yet?

Spend like $5 and get it from gog?
Nightmarjoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3360 Posts
November 29 2013 10:42 GMT
#145
On November 29 2013 02:55 ayaz2810 wrote:
Like the only Meier game I never played. Is it free yet?

lol I've been playing Alpha Centauri on and off for over a decade now. The only game I've played longer is Broodwar. It's easily worth whatever price it's still being sold at. After all this time and I still have new stuff to learn, new tactics and strategies to try, not to mention the random map generator and map editor ensures no game is the same on top of all that. It's an incredibly sophisticated (but not overly complicated, you can go in as deep as you want-- you can run automated things and watch the game play itself almost if you want) and highly in-depth game which has yet to really be replaced by a better, modern alternative. Just go play it!
aka Lyra; My favourites: July, Stork, Draco, MistrZZZ, TheStc, LastShadow - www.broodwarmaps.net - for all your mapping needs; check my stream: high masters mech terran: twitch.tv/lyrathegreat
Nightmarjoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3360 Posts
December 01 2013 11:21 GMT
#146
Ok I won again. Definitely seems like the game is much easier with early military action. When I was feeling hopeless before I was basically fighting a 1v6 vs 6 factions who almost all had better tech and populations and militaries. The random personalities/social choices seems to have kept more factions alive longer additionally. My two transcend wins were without the randomization, and the building factions all got elimated early (except for me of course). So right off the bat the odds alone were better, and with less to worry about I get more space to build up and use the tactics that will rocket me ahead.

This game I (as Deirdre) was on a continent with Morgan, Miriam, Zakharov, and Santiago (50-70% water). Myself, Morgan, and Zakharov were very close to each other, and more importantly next to the monsoon jungle. With scouts, unity rovers, and a single mind worm I killed both of them instantly. Unfortunately all of their bases died in the process. Then I made an extremely stupid blunder right before I finished Zakharov which allowed him to kill my capital (I was on 3-4 bases I think). The loss of it shut down my research, such that instead of finishing Industrial Automation right after getting my first 6 cities up in time to grab a few secret projects, I had a bunch of shitty bases with no chance to grab any projects except for barely snagging the Virtual World (the best of them anyway).

Santiago started bullying me early, but I didn't care since I had a good amount of space to expand through in addition to having the Monsoon uncontested. Since I gave her everything she wanted she left me alone and killed Miriam instead, who was on the opposite side of our large continent. Yang shared a huge continent with Lal which was seperated by two large oceans in the west and east from our continent. Yang killed Lal and then just focused on mass expansion, including littering my western coast with sea bases. For reference: the eastern-most of Yang's cities (relative to his continent) were only barely in needlejet attack range from the sea cities on my western coast. His western coast was even farther from our eastern coast (large map).

I got bold when Santiago made a new base really close to one of mine when I realized my infrastructure was good enough to churn out impact rovers. It wasn't complete, I didn't have 16+ minerals at every base, but I had at least 12 at all of them I think, and had already prototyped the rover when she started randomly moving units around my territory (during a sunspot no-less, I was terrified, but she didn't attack). I killed her new base with a scout patrol to get High Energy Chemistry (she had Gatling tech too, but I figured the armour and nerve gas if I wanted it was better). I barraged her bases with my probe rovers and foils. About half my bases made impact rovers, most of the rest made +3 armour probes, and I think one or two were in developmental stages.

I fought her to a stand-still, I don't think I made any territorial gains, but the free excuse to take all her research briefly put me in the tech lead (Yang would pass me for a fairly long time a little later) and was probably worth the vendetta. Her counter invasion was shut down handily yielding a stalemate. After I finally took a frontier base with mindworms she accepted a truce for some research. Naturally she broke the truce the turn after, preventing me from building up my bases like I wanted to. I think at some point during the war Lal actually traded me Missile tech right before Yang killed him, or maybe I stole it from Santiago, I forget (but Lal definitely made a bunch of tech trades with me). The war ended very rapidly once I finished Air Power. I captured the Human Genome Project before she surrendered. She actually surrendered really early on, when she still had a fair number of bases left (even one really nice one that I had eyed hungrily and had killed all of its garrisons). I considered not accepting it, but I really did want the war to be over and I figured having a not-useless ally would be nice, so I capitulated.

I forget when exactly Yang killed Lal, but pretty soon it was just us 3. Yang left me alone for a very long time. I think he was battling Santiago, but he made no ground vs her. Only fairly late in the game did he manage to take a single city of hers, which I eventually captured (it was on the exact opposite side of the continent from my colony). Yang eventually declared war on me for leaving Democracy on for a very long time (I never turned it off actually-- just pop-boomed the whole game). I had chaos tech at the time, but finished fusion lasers fairly early in. I made almost exclusively needlejets and interceptors, with only a few destroyers (I got the Maritime project and Cyborg Factory... actually I got almost all the projects after I conquered Santiago-- Yang got the research projects since he was ahead of me on tech and had gotten Weather Paradigm and Merchant Exchange early, but I think I got the rest) as I had very few coastal bases. I eventually made some Marine Infantry to assault his cities off my coast. There was no chance of ever invading his territory nor could he invade mine.

Unfortunately I made the same mistake of not having preemptive clean interceptors prior to Yang's declaration of war, enabling him to knock out all of my supply convoys and formers with a couple choppers and a ton of needlejets. I didn't mind too much, as by that point my bases were competetive without the extra minerals (some still had upwards of 22 minerals).

The last coastal city took fucking forever to capture, as his war effort had degenerated into massing conventional missiles, and he just destroyed my military and every garrison he could reach, which hurt my reinforcement rate. I eventually had to just mind control it with a foil probe. The problem was that my gigantic air force couldn't do anything to his multiple AAA Photon garrisons and boats in conjunction with his air port facilities while my boats and marines were getting constantly picked off by conventional missiles. I could only do very limited damage to his eastern most continental cities with my needlejets.

After that I wrote conventional conquering victory off and just prepared for planet buster production. My empire became pretty big since the war wasn't really stopping my expansion (though I probably could've expanded more and earlier, but I'm still not super confident about when and with what frequency I should expand. I sped past him in research. I finished quantum tech as my first fusion planet busters were finishing. Since Yang was periodically nuking Santiago he voted with me to repeal UN Charter (I didn't want to have to kill Santiago). I was dumb though and let my first two planet busters get nuked at once on one of Santiago's sea bases (whence I intended to nuke Yang's capital from). That delayed the war effort, but eventually I took out the annoying fucking cities on his eastern coast which had been spamming me with conventional missiles.

I stopped the missile spam just in time for worm and locust spam, spawning from Yang's horrible ecological damage. I had post-fungal-bloom tree-farms at every city, forests across the continent, and the Pholus Mutagen, and I was still getting shit on by the huge worm pops. Part of the problem was lacking formers thanks to Yang's missile spam, which prevented me from getting Mag tubes up for a long time. The other part was from lacking a ground army to dispense the worm stacks with, but apparently low morale scout patrols suffice, which I didn't figure out until later on. I was just sitting there clearing one worm/locust at a time with my huge clean needlejet fleet like a moron.

I also had to fight rising sea levels with solar shades. The water went down since I countered quickly, then went up faster than the shade(s) and my voting frequency could handle. When the water sank I was actually connected with Yang's entire continent. I let Santiago and Yang reinstate the UN charter (which Yang continued to ignore despite voting for it) and switched over to mass hover-tank production. The rising sea levels broke his massive continent into a few pieces before I could conquer him (the nukes had already neutered him, but he rebelled against my diplomatic victory because of the nukes).

Killing worms made me rich enough to corner the global market (which I've never done before), but the 20 year timelime that gave me wasn't acceptable so I switched to aquatic hover tanks and made destroyer transports to hunt his islands and sea bases down. I maxed out tech as I was finishing him off though, and without even using convoys transcended right before I could kill his last base in the middle of the ocean.

Santiago remained effectively useless for the duration of the game. She finished one tech I didn't have after I gave her all my techs in exchange for the base with the Empath Guild, and that was her only contribution. I can only imagine that all she did was throwing away units at Yang's conventional missiles for two hundred years-- afterall, that's what I did.

I made a big blunder in the midgame that slowed me down a lot. I wanted to see how useful Research Hospitals were (which I normally never build), so I made them at all my bases at some point in the midgame. This ceased when I realized I had a net income of 1 credit per turn. Even by the end of the game I was only churning out 1500 credits per turn, and that was with the maintenance cut project (which made a huge difference). Luckily Yang's shit ecology spawned a new source of income to make me filthy rich.

I had some >8 drone riots too, not sure how many workers I need to take off production for a given number of psych/drone facilities.

Overall this game was easy but incredibly frustrating and incredibly long. The midgame and lategame were completely driven by the map's geology. The swift elimination of everyone but my submissive pactmate and Yang in addition to the complete isolation of Yang which rendered his midgame advantage moot gave me an inevitable but delayed victory. The final year was in the 2370s, so the game would have just ended within 30 turns.
aka Lyra; My favourites: July, Stork, Draco, MistrZZZ, TheStc, LastShadow - www.broodwarmaps.net - for all your mapping needs; check my stream: high masters mech terran: twitch.tv/lyrathegreat
Nightmarjoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3360 Posts
December 16 2013 02:57 GMT
#147
How would you go about winning a global market victory without conquering everyone first?
aka Lyra; My favourites: July, Stork, Draco, MistrZZZ, TheStc, LastShadow - www.broodwarmaps.net - for all your mapping needs; check my stream: high masters mech terran: twitch.tv/lyrathegreat
screamingpalm
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1527 Posts
December 16 2013 17:12 GMT
#148
Played this game for the very first time last night (just a little late to the party lol) after having this in my GoG library from a bundle deal a while back. First Impression: HOLY SHIT! From the little time I've played so far, I really like it and can see why it's so highly regarded. I've tried many of the old games recently that are considered legendary classics, but most of them didn't really hold my attention and seemed like they were hyped up by nostalgia. Have to see how it holds up as I play more, but really impressed so far.
MMT University is coming! http://www.mmtuniversity.org/
radscorpion9
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada2252 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-16 17:48:03
December 16 2013 17:47 GMT
#149
On December 17 2013 02:12 screamingpalm wrote:
Played this game for the very first time last night (just a little late to the party lol) after having this in my GoG library from a bundle deal a while back. First Impression: HOLY SHIT! From the little time I've played so far, I really like it and can see why it's so highly regarded. I've tried many of the old games recently that are considered legendary classics, but most of them didn't really hold my attention and seemed like they were hyped up by nostalgia. Have to see how it holds up as I play more, but really impressed so far.


The technological advancements are the coolest and most interesting parts of the game, besides the occasionally hilarious video that make fun of certain leaders . It was (is) an awesome game. Its funny how the religious faction angers nearly everyone with their blind arrogance and perceived superiority. I think Sid Meier may have been trying to send a message with that
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
December 16 2013 18:41 GMT
#150
I think it's funny how having a "Green" economy gives you more efficiency, and "Free Market" kills your efficiency and is like "Let's set the planet on fire just for fun". There's a hilarious amount of liberal bias embedded into the game, now come on people, play a multiplayer game with me; we don't have to play the whole thing in one day
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
February 17 2014 19:00 GMT
#151
I am so in for some (really rusty) multiplayer!... at some point, weekdays any good? XD
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
February 17 2014 19:35 GMT
#152
The best part of the game is the ideological divides between the rulers and the worldbuilding from the fictitious quotations on research and buildings. Otherwise, it's just a solid, Civ-esque strategy game in a sci-fi world with more factors than normal.

Both those combined make it amazing.
Eliezar
Profile Joined May 2004
United States481 Posts
February 18 2014 01:41 GMT
#153
For a long time this game was my favorite in the series, but it was also the only civ game where I could win more than 90% of the time on the highest difficulty on normal maps. The unit designer was always fun and the factions and such...I did miss the "history" of the Civ series.

I actually think I prefer Civ 5 at this point with all the expos and no unit stacking. It would be cool if they did an Alpha Centauri remake.
Prev 1 6 7 8 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech154
Codebar 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2863
Shuttle 1450
EffOrt 923
BeSt 709
Light 424
Mini 407
ggaemo 334
Stork 278
ZerO 245
firebathero 231
[ Show more ]
Rush 171
Barracks 138
Sea.KH 80
Zeus 64
Dewaltoss 63
Killer 60
Shine 52
Hyun 40
Yoon 31
Shinee 30
Mong 30
ToSsGirL 28
Sexy 27
Aegong 25
sorry 23
Bale 22
soO 19
Terrorterran 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 8
910 7
zelot 7
Dota 2
qojqva3705
Dendi1667
BananaSlamJamma415
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes538
Other Games
singsing2255
hiko1253
Liquid`RaSZi1185
B2W.Neo916
Lowko391
Liquid`VortiX238
Sick182
ArmadaUGS134
Rex98
Trikslyr32
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream547
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile119
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2225
• Nemesis2136
• TFBlade583
Other Games
• WagamamaTV285
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 48m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.