• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:03
CEST 23:03
KST 06:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5276 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 597

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 595 596 597 598 599 665 Next
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
March 06 2015 15:59 GMT
#11921
Any Standard events this weekend?
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
March 06 2015 16:12 GMT
#11922
On March 07 2015 00:59 Doodsmack wrote:
Any Standard events this weekend?


gp miami
mind mind mind mind mind mind
Wingblade
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1806 Posts
March 22 2015 05:54 GMT
#11923
How did everyone do at prerelease? Went 1-3 with a crappy pool at midnight prerelease. Dice game was really easy though and I suppose this is karma for pulling Ugin in my prerelease box and promo Ugin at the end of Fate Prerelease.
PartinG fanboy to the max, Rain/Squirtle/Dear/Scarlett/Bbyong are cool too. I don't always watch Dota2 but when I do I have no clue what's going on. GOGO POWER RANGERS
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 22 2015 06:16 GMT
#11924
Will probably do a report after I lose horribly tomorrow.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
March 22 2015 06:54 GMT
#11925
3-1 with random red and green creatures of dubious quality. Turns out the 5/5 for 3 is actually really good when you have a ton of Ferocity or w/e that mechanic is.
Draconicfire
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2562 Posts
March 22 2015 07:23 GMT
#11926
Went 3-1. Got unlucky with mana in the first match but won the next three in the row.

I chose Ojutai but my pool wasn't really that good for the first four packs. But then my last Dragons of Tarkir pack had a Sarkhan and my Fate Reforged pack had an Ugin and a red/green fetch. So I kinda just looked at that and was like, well I guess I'm playing red/blue/green haha.
@Drayxs | Drayxs.221 | Drayxs#1802
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
March 23 2015 04:39 GMT
#11927
How on earth are you supposed to get cards for competitive events the day after the new set comes out?
I've been calling a few LGS but none of them let me preorder cards
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
Wingblade
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1806 Posts
March 23 2015 04:49 GMT
#11928
Second prerelease attempt today, finished 3-1 and third place. Actually got to play the Atarka colors I picked this time instead of a crappy Dromoka deck, but I ran both spirit dragon lands from fate and DTK to run 1 arashin sovereign. Yay. And I'm almost halfway to finishing the dragon standard deck I've been working on.
PartinG fanboy to the max, Rain/Squirtle/Dear/Scarlett/Bbyong are cool too. I don't always watch Dota2 but when I do I have no clue what's going on. GOGO POWER RANGERS
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
March 23 2015 05:19 GMT
#11929
1-4 for prerelease dear God I suck so horrendously at sealed hahaha. But on the plus side I got a promo Anafenza, Flooded Strand, Dragonlord Atarka and Narset so it was whatever, gogo lucky pulls

On March 23 2015 13:49 Wingblade wrote:
Second prerelease attempt today, finished 3-1 and third place. Actually got to play the Atarka colors I picked this time instead of a crappy Dromoka deck, but I ran both spirit dragon lands from fate and DTK to run 1 arashin sovereign. Yay. And I'm almost halfway to finishing the dragon standard deck I've been working on.

I tried running Dromoka and it felt just all bad. Meanwhile mass dash seemed to stomp over everyone at our event.
Sup.
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 23 2015 05:20 GMT
#11930
Thought about doing a full write-up, but now I'm tired so I'll do a bigger one with card links and shit anyone has any real interest in it.
Short version:
Did better than expected with the mediocre pool I got.
Only dragon I got was the U/B uncommon, and my rares were absolutely godawful. Ended up with 2x Silumgar Assassin which worked really well in my deck but nothing particularly bomby or valuable overall.

Medium version:+ Show Spoiler +

Match 1 - Went up against a guy who claimed he had a shit pool, and played W/B/G for some reason. Very clearly worse than me at the game---even I was able to help him out with some rules and stuff during the game. Felt real bad for him when he had to mull to 5 game 1 and 4 game 2, but then we played for fun after and I still trashed him. Also turns out his 'shit pool' contained a fucking Ojutai's Command and Narset Transcendant.

Match 2 - Level 1 judge. He told me that and I assumed it was gg already. Actually ended up dispatching him with relative ease surprisingly. He played Kolaghan (B/R) aggro but my removal was no match for his dash. (bwahaha) Something interesting during the match though: at one point he attacked me with a 2/5 deathtouch, I blocked with a 2/2 and gave it +3/0 and regenerate. He told me my guy dies anyway, so I was like wtf, and we called over the level 2 judge. Turns out I was right and my guy doesn't die, but my opponent said that apparently it used to be a thing that deathtouch and damage could kill my guy twice thereby negating the regenerate? Was that ever really a thing?

Match 3 - Epic fucking games. A ridiculous bolster deck was what I was up against this time. I took game one, and he took game 2. Game 3 took like 30 min with 80 bolster guys and +1/+1 counters flying all over the place. He had two of the rare Dromoka dragons (W/G and W) AND Daghatar, so ultimately when I lost I wasn't surprised that he ended up 4-0.

Match 4 - The only real blowout. Played against a better Silumgar deck than mine. He actually splashed red just for Bathe in Dragonfire and was able to bring it back multiple times with a 3/2 Megamorph card that lets him return noncreature spells to his hand. I also got greedy game 2 with a 2-land hand and suffered a little for it by missing a couple drops.

Was only supposed to win 2 packs for a 2-2 but the guy giving them out when I was leaving gave a few people ahead of me with the same record 4 by accident, realized it, and the guy I had just played against told the guy behind the counter he had to do the same for me. So a bunch of free packs when I was expecting nothing! Managed to get slightly better value from the bonus packs---a Zurgo Bellstriker and Dromoka's Command were probably the best.

Overall impressions:
Yeah, I impressed myself. (Either that or maybe the competition wasn't as ridiculous as I expected.) Very few misplays and when I did it was already pretty much beyond the point of comeback.

Stuff I learned: I like U/B control . Exploit is a very solid mechanic, and the synergy built in with the various sacrifices is awesome. Ukud Cobra is batshit crazy.

Decklist:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/silumgaaaarrrr/
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Wingblade
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1806 Posts
March 23 2015 05:36 GMT
#11931
On March 23 2015 14:19 dudeman001 wrote:
1-4 for prerelease dear God I suck so horrendously at sealed hahaha. But on the plus side I got a promo Anafenza, Flooded Strand, Dragonlord Atarka and Narset so it was whatever, gogo lucky pulls

Show nested quote +
On March 23 2015 13:49 Wingblade wrote:
Second prerelease attempt today, finished 3-1 and third place. Actually got to play the Atarka colors I picked this time instead of a crappy Dromoka deck, but I ran both spirit dragon lands from fate and DTK to run 1 arashin sovereign. Yay. And I'm almost halfway to finishing the dragon standard deck I've been working on.

I tried running Dromoka and it felt just all bad. Meanwhile mass dash seemed to stomp over everyone at our event.


My Dromoka deck was made even worse by the fact that I picked Atarka for that prerelease too... There must have been some really strong Kolaghan pools then. My LGS didn't have hardly anyone going Kolaghan. I got stomped hard today by an insane Silumgar deck.
PartinG fanboy to the max, Rain/Squirtle/Dear/Scarlett/Bbyong are cool too. I don't always watch Dota2 but when I do I have no clue what's going on. GOGO POWER RANGERS
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
March 26 2015 18:46 GMT
#11932
Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but my friend showed this to me last week and I thought it was hilarious (we're all a modern-group made up of blue/control mages so obviously we're less than thrilled with how the format has been shaped...so note the irony for us lol).

Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
March 26 2015 19:36 GMT
#11933
oh yea i saw that a few weeks ago. shit is hilarious
Uranium
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1077 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-26 20:01:47
March 26 2015 19:59 GMT
#11934
Actually I think Jace would have been a safe unban if Bloodbraid Elf was still in the format... you could never tap out for him as he dies to a lot of potential BBE outcomes. Even now, the aggro decks in modern are low-curve enough to have threats on the table before Jace comes down, and the combo decks don't really care about him. There's also a ton of burn flying around.

Or any sort of decent library manipulation/draw would be nice... they gave us TC/DTT and then immediately banned them. I'm pretty sure we could get Ponder, Preordain, or Ancestral Visions without breaking anything. But then again, maybe not. Combo is still alive, and we all know Wizards hates combo and wants it to be kind of weak in modern.
"Sentry imba! You see? YOU SEE??!!" - Sen | "Marauder die die!" - oGsMC | "Oh my god, she texted me back!" - Day[9]
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
March 26 2015 20:14 GMT
#11935
is mana leak back in standard yet? That's one of the primary reasons i left standard, and soon left playing mtg due to wizards' changes in design philosophy (i would start playing again if that card was back).
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
March 26 2015 20:26 GMT
#11936
I dont think Ancestral Visions would be too bad.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-26 23:57:45
March 26 2015 23:54 GMT
#11937
On March 27 2015 05:26 Whole wrote:
I dont think Ancestral Visions would be too bad.


Nope, no way, that card is stupidly good. Turn 1 Visions is pretty strong and very mana efficient.

Also Mana Leak isn't coming back in standard, Wizards is on record saying that they don't think they would print that card in today's game.

Personally I think the concept is fine in control decks, but stupidly awful in tempo decks where it functions effectively as counterspell most of the time.
Get it by your hands...
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-27 00:48:16
March 27 2015 00:47 GMT
#11938
Regarding Modern, the problematic issue is somewhat that Wizards doesn't really test for anything apart from Standard in FFL. And that leads to a lot of inconsistencies such as the fact they banned Bloodbriad Elf for just being a really efficient creature that all Jund decks played (that's literally the reason they gave). However, in Tarkir along comes Siege Rhino which is a 4-drop just like BBE but has better stats, Trample, and comes with a free Lighting Helix so it's a free card like Cascasde is. Which seems... massively counter-intuitive? The colour restrictions on Rhino are really not an issue as mana is really good in Modern, and most GBx decks moved to White a long time ago because of stuff like Lingering Souls.

There is also the odd amusement that Standard is now the most powerful format because it's the only place you can play 4x Treasure Cruise (banned in Modern + Legacy, and restricted in Vintage). Or that they printed Tasigur after saying that GBx was a problem in Modern since it had too many efficient cards and card advantage engines. But that's a discussion for another time...

The knock-on effect from the fact that GBx is the yardstick that all other decks are measured against is that it encourages very linear deck building. (Especially since the power of something like Thoughtseize is not that it trades 1-for-1 but that it trades for your best card, and gives the other player perfect information.) Having your hand shredded before being made to deal with efficient creatures doesn't matter too much if: (1) all the cards in your deck essentially do the same thing anyway and don't care about 1-for-1 (such as Burn) or (2) go over the top so 1-for-1 and top-decks don't matter (such as Amulet, or Twin) or (3) have so much raw or virtual card advantage and card selection it doesn't matter (Tron maybe?). Which has not exactly been great for diversity if you use the "12% of the format" metric Wizards uses (I think it's 12%?).

I don't really have a conclusion here since I don't actually know what would help the format and this was a stream of consciousness anyway.

On the topic of Jace, the Wallet Sculptor (although Liliana of the Veil is becoming more expensive now...) I'm tempted to say it's not the end-all-be-all in Modern? Like, at 3 loyalty you're somewhat forced to immediately +2 in a lot of matchups or risk playing a very expensive Sorcery speed Brainstorm given the number of Lightning Bolts flying around. It competes with Cryptic Command in the 4-drop slot for a lot of decks. It's probably also dead in a few matchups. Like, I can't see Jace mattering against say Burn or something. Against Twin tapping out Turn 4 is asking to lose. Although it is one of the best bombs you can play, and it's the ultimate top-deck card. Still, I can understand if WotC wants to keep this banned since it is a really, really good card.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-29 16:42:41
March 29 2015 16:23 GMT
#11939
On March 27 2015 08:54 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2015 05:26 Whole wrote:
I dont think Ancestral Visions would be too bad.


Nope, no way, that card is stupidly good. Turn 1 Visions is pretty strong and very mana efficient.



So a card that IF played turn 1 is "pretty strong and very mana efficient" is too good for modern? That's the definition of pretty much every 1-drop played in the format. Many games will just be over before it becomes unsuspended. That or you will be far behind since you spent your first turn and a card doing nothing. The cards eventually drawn MIGHT be able to get you back in the game but it is definitely a risk. It's a good card but not ban-worthy compared to the other insane cards in modern.

Preordain and Ponder on the other hand definitely ban-worthy as they make combo decks insanely consistent, and they are already consistent enough.
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
March 30 2015 12:57 GMT
#11940
Unbanning blue cards in Modern is a stupid idea, and I played Blue decks for a year.

What won the last PT ? A blue deck. The last GP ? A blue deck. Blue is in a fine state.

Meanwhile, I'll be casting some Life from the Loam as I like drawing 3 cards a turn a bit too much...
The legend of Darien lives on
Prev 1 595 596 597 598 599 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 193
JuggernautJason107
Nina 104
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 599
White-Ra 205
firebathero 81
910 41
NaDa 23
Counter-Strike
Fnx 795
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0175
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby10347
Liquid`Hasu1712
crisheroes1637
Trikslyr75
Other Games
summit1g6522
Liquid`RaSZi5890
Beastyqt784
shahzam466
B2W.Neo256
Pyrionflax166
KnowMe120
ArmadaUGS106
ToD104
ZombieGrub91
IndyStarCraft 69
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream363
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• Eskiya23 21
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV477
League of Legends
• TFBlade954
Other Games
• imaqtpie1020
• Shiphtur352
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 57m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 57m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.