• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:42
CEST 16:42
KST 23:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8097 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 268

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 266 267 268 269 270 665 Next
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 03:04:00
January 14 2013 03:01 GMT
#5341
On January 14 2013 11:55 Judicator wrote:
I hope the ultimate troll by Wizards is that DGM will be a primarily mono-colored set.

If you combined all the offset/letters in the Guildgate cards, it spells out "The Guilds of Ravnica Will Destroy Each Other" (and not just in English but also foreign languages versions of the Guildgates too). It might not be that far-fetched...
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 14 2013 04:47 GMT
#5342
Can we hope for 3 mana land destruction? :D

So many people would quit the game :d
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
January 14 2013 04:59 GMT
#5343
Is Vindicate too powerful to reprint? I don't think it's really all that fast, but I guess if you're on the play, T3 Vindicate on a Shock Land and T4 Drop a Sorin/Jace, you'd feel pretty far ahead.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
January 14 2013 07:35 GMT
#5344
On January 14 2013 13:59 slyboogie wrote:
Is Vindicate too powerful to reprint? I don't think it's really all that fast, but I guess if you're on the play, T3 Vindicate on a Shock Land and T4 Drop a Sorin/Jace, you'd feel pretty far ahead.


Feel? You would BE pretty far ahead lol.

T3 vindicate on anything without access to a counter is back breaking. Going from two lands to one is a time walk for so many decks. I'm not saying I hate LD, I love it, and hope they test bringing it back, but vindicate is much too powerful to be reprinted in the current standard environment. If they creep the power back up, sure, reprint it, but where standard is now it wouldn't work.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 14 2013 13:08 GMT
#5345
You're forgetting 8 mana dorks and dual lands, you're going to be able to somewhat consistently T2 Vindicate their first land on the play...
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 14 2013 14:33 GMT
#5346
Oh if they reprint 3 cmc land destruction, it's definitely going to be some messed up color requirement like RRR.
Get it by your hands...
Rainofpain
Profile Joined December 2010
United States125 Posts
January 14 2013 14:50 GMT
#5347
Good land destruction will not happen, it goes against everything they think Magic should be right now. And it is unfun, this is coming from a Spike as well. (Please don't give me the Wasteland lecture, Legacy is different. I am talking Standard.)
It`s hard to read bad players because they`re bad - Idra
Glacierz
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1245 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 15:40:03
January 14 2013 15:21 GMT
#5348
Just out of curiosity, how many people here have gone "infinite" in this game? I've invested in a couple of competitive standard decks, but the payout seems to be less than break even except for the daily events (for example, the payout for a standard 2man or 8man would require something around 65% winrate to breakeven, given the prize pack is only worth 3 tix). With a full time job, it seems a bit unlikely to be able to sustain a competitive standard deck without pouring more money whenever a new expansion set is released.

Also do those of you who participate in the dailies find the opponents to be better? I currently have 55-60% winrate in standard 2 man queues/tournament practice room, not sure if I need to practice more before trying a daily event.
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
January 14 2013 16:12 GMT
#5349
Using constructed to go infinite has become much harder and requires a much greater investment now than it did just half a year ago, IMO. I haven't even tried since rtr came out so I can't speak to the effectiveness of constructed grinding.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Glacierz
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1245 Posts
January 14 2013 18:34 GMT
#5350
I guess most people who stay on standard are cashflow negative? What's the incremental cost per year to roll the deck forward in Standard? I'm thinking probably like $500/year for something that consistently wins tournaments?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 14 2013 19:28 GMT
#5351
It depends on how good you are as a trader. Like certain cards that just reeks of forever value. I gobbled up all the foil Delvers I could when Innistrad came out and was rewarded accordingly. Same for Hellriders. Friend gobbled Parallel Lives at like a buck and now they're 3-5 dollars. I picked up the Innistrad lands when they were pretty low and will probably use them in trades when I need to.

Now if you buy your cards in singles, outside of speculation, then yes you're probably negative value. Trading on the other hand...not that expensive. Remember when Thundermaws were like nothing?
Get it by your hands...
Glacierz
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1245 Posts
January 14 2013 19:41 GMT
#5352
Heh, to me speculating on magic cards is almost the same as trying to pick the next google/apple from thousands of small tech companies. I just don't find it worth the time, especially for someone who just started. I'd rather focus my energy on actually playing the game and being rewarded that way.
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
January 14 2013 20:22 GMT
#5353
Another 5 cards spoiled.

Ooze Flux:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Army Loyalist.

Blind Obedience:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Lord of the Void:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Simic Charm.


Me want that Blind Obedience. :-O

I predict Army Loyalist will speed up that Naya aggro even further. (kinda tries to counter Selesnyan opponents too at that)

Simic Charm looks solid as well.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
January 14 2013 22:30 GMT
#5354
Blind obedience seems insanely strong both as aggro and against it.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 22:52:09
January 14 2013 22:50 GMT
#5355
On January 15 2013 04:41 Glacierz wrote:
Heh, to me speculating on magic cards is almost the same as trying to pick the next google/apple from thousands of small tech companies. I just don't find it worth the time, especially for someone who just started. I'd rather focus my energy on actually playing the game and being rewarded that way.


+ Show Spoiler +


Well practicing and actually winning just as time consuming (not necessarily time "rewarding") as card speculation. I am pretty conservative when it comes to speculation compared to some of my friends, namely I go for cards that I think will be good across many (eternal) formats and foils for EDH. I haven't made out like a bandit and am more or less even after starting "fresh" 2 years ago. Really no extra effort since I don't even go out of my way to trade at any major events that I travel to. There's a pretty consistent pattern to blue chip magic cards that is fairly low risk. I am not saying to pull a Kibler and go hoard Daybreak Rangers like food during a zombie apocalypse. Finally, there's some overlap so it's not like two mutally exclusive concepts that you need to devote your full attention to; even a little attention should help cover/reduce some of the costs of playing cardboard with paint on it (should/when the game tilts you enough to be bitter about it). Just a simple buy-low when you can, even if you can't sell-high. Like Innistrad lands were like below 10 bucks for so long, now they're like what? 10-15? Same happened with the Scars lands. You need those lands anyways unless you were dead set on playing a deck and will stand by the deck, but then you are handicapped in playing the deck if the meta shifts and are stuck buying high(er) for the next deck that you'll play.

If you want to just play the game accordingly, it's just as time consuming to be "rewarded" (still not sure what exactly that term means to you, going infinite or what). You need to figure out the meta, follow the meta, analyze the meta, and then adjust your deck accordingly. I did that for the last standard rotation and it was fairly time consuming for the one deck that I played. That was with nothing but my own personal interests on the line, I can't even imagine how much time I would have invested if there were actual stakes.

The reason I tell you all of this is that it is highly unlikely that you'll be playing 1 deck for any singular standard rotation so you might as well cover some of the costs just by keeping your ears to the ground. You'll be doing that anyways when you play decks.



Blind Obedience seems pretty stupid on the play as a tempo card, stupid on the draw as a control card.
Get it by your hands...
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
January 14 2013 23:01 GMT
#5356
Stupid good, or stupid bad?

Also, is Assemble the Legion worth discussing, or is it too "meh?" I feel like if they had made it so you put out another soldier at "every" upkeep, and put another counter on it on each of "your" upkeeps, even that I think would have made this more intriguing. (adding counters on every upkeep would've been "too stupid good," lol)
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 14 2013 23:10 GMT
#5357
Assemble the Legion seems like a alright way to grind out games if your deck is tuned to mid game or maybe in mirrors as a sideboard, 5 drop sucks, but getting on turn 4 isn't a terrible thing against control decks (off of a mana dork or rock obviously). If they go turn 4 Jace/Wrath, dropping that on the next turn in response isn't unreasonable, but it is a bit slow and it does give them a chance to wreck you off of their card economy. It just depends on the speed of the environment, probably after ISD rotates.

Stupid good on the Obedience. Interesting card with many different values. Like Esper Delver can almost certainly tempo some poor soul out with Delver into Obedience and just extorting the life out of the remaining players.

Get it by your hands...
Durp
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada3117 Posts
January 14 2013 23:42 GMT
#5358
On January 15 2013 04:28 Judicator wrote:
It depends on how good you are as a trader. Like certain cards that just reeks of forever value. I gobbled up all the foil Delvers I could when Innistrad came out and was rewarded accordingly. Same for Hellriders. Friend gobbled Parallel Lives at like a buck and now they're 3-5 dollars. I picked up the Innistrad lands when they were pretty low and will probably use them in trades when I need to.

Now if you buy your cards in singles, outside of speculation, then yes you're probably negative value. Trading on the other hand...not that expensive. Remember when Thundermaws were like nothing?

Traded for ten thundermaws and 104 snapcaster mages.
yussss
SOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOoo Many BANELINGS!!
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
January 14 2013 23:56 GMT
#5359
So do you guys think something similar to the old Bant pod lists used in standard are viable in modern? or are they still too slow to combat combo decks?
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 15 2013 02:59 GMT
#5360
On January 15 2013 08:56 Shotcoder wrote:
So do you guys think something similar to the old Bant pod lists used in standard are viable in modern? or are they still too slow to combat combo decks?


T1 Thoughtseize seems really good against it. Just saying.
Get it by your hands...
Prev 1 266 267 268 269 270 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1124
RotterdaM685
SteadfastSC295
TKL 258
Rex126
CosmosSc2 38
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 685
SteadfastSC 295
TKL 258
Rex 126
ProTech101
CosmosSc2 38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45756
Calm 3388
Shuttle 2672
Jaedong 1759
Horang2 727
Mini 519
actioN 431
Rush 418
Stork 415
EffOrt 387
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 368
Soma 349
ZerO 246
BeSt 219
Larva 194
Snow 194
firebathero 125
Mong 119
Zeus 95
hero 79
Mind 78
910 71
sorry 63
Free 60
Hyun 52
Sharp 51
Yoon 50
Shine 40
Shinee 39
PianO 34
Pusan 28
ToSsGirL 25
JYJ 25
Bale 20
HiyA 18
Aegong 17
Killer 17
Sexy 17
Terrorterran 15
Rock 14
Hm[arnc] 13
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5275
Dendi1183
420jenkins47
Counter-Strike
fl0m2805
Fnx 624
x6flipin45
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
ChuDatz21
Other Games
singsing2212
hiko795
Liquid`RaSZi606
B2W.Neo358
crisheroes355
dupreeh270
ceh9252
DeMusliM215
Khaldor203
Livibee188
Pyrionflax185
Liquid`VortiX147
Trikslyr90
Hui .77
QueenE66
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 447
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH241
• mYiSmile113
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV0
League of Legends
• Nemesis2060
• Jankos1643
• TFBlade573
Other Games
• Shiphtur626
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 18m
The PondCast
19h 18m
INu's Battles
20h 18m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.