• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:36
CEST 04:36
KST 11:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7064 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 109

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 107 108 109 110 111 665 Next
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 01:48:42
December 06 2011 01:48 GMT
#2161
On December 06 2011 06:01 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2011 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
In sealed, is 5 land (2 of both main and 1 of the splash color) Stromkirk Noble, Instigator gang a greedy keep when your curve is primarily 2/3?


If you have a weaker one drop in your main colors, I'd just cut Stromkirk Noble altogether. He isn't going to do anything for you after turn 3 and he is at his most effective, obviously, on turn 1. So to get maximum value out of him, you need an opening hand of a Mountain and the Noble. Obviously, this could happen but, without running the numbers and just approximating, you're looking at like...10-12%?

Actually, that's not bad. Yeah, but I'd still cut it. You're also sacrificing mana-base. So if you had a Selfless Cathar or a Typhoid Rats or a Delver of Secrets, I'd run those instead - if they were your main colors.

EDIT: So I'd play Instigator Gang, obviously. But I'd probably only play 3 Mountains at the very most. Definitely less if you had other fixing.


Deck was Red/Blue splash White, actually. Although I only splashed a bonds and 2 Feeling of Dreads. I was really low on playables in all colors. White had no creatures, black had 2 removal spells and 1 creature, Green had practically nothing playable but a Darkthicket Wolf and Prey Upon, blue had Invisible Stalker, Snapcaster (whose only target was Blasphemous Act), 2 Claustrophobias, and a few fliers, and red had noble, gang, past in flames (which didn't get played), couple of Crossway Vampires, Bloodcrazed Neonate, and no burn spells.

I was mising on the whole Stalker/Noble/Neonate + one of the 2 spectral flights I was running, or Stalker/Dagger, but I never got either one of those combos in 5 matches. All the games I won were by forcing bad trades then flying over with Moon Heron + Battleground Geist.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 06 2011 20:40 GMT
#2162
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought it was color-x/color-y splash red. I have heard, that in Sealed, it's reasonable to just play all your best cards. So your rares were Stromkirk, Blasphemous Act, Snapcaster - what were the other 3? Not counting Instigator Gang - of course. No bomby bomb bombs?
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 23:23:59
December 06 2011 23:22 GMT
#2163
On December 07 2011 05:40 slyboogie wrote:
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought it was color-x/color-y splash red. I have heard, that in Sealed, it's reasonable to just play all your best cards. So your rares were Stromkirk, Blasphemous Act, Snapcaster - what were the other 3? Not counting Instigator Gang - of course. No bomby bomb bombs?


Let's see if I can remember...I think it was Witchbane Orb and Creeping Renaissance. Nothing bomby at all, though.

Edit: Witchbane Orb and Past in Flames.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 07 2011 00:35 GMT
#2164
Mmmm...why I hate sealed. So rare dependent sometimes. And there's always the one guy with 2 Devil's Plays or 3 Mythics of the same color. WHY CAN'T I EVER BE THAT GUY T_T
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 07 2011 01:38 GMT
#2165
On December 07 2011 09:35 slyboogie wrote:
Mmmm...why I hate sealed. So rare dependent sometimes. And there's always the one guy with 2 Devil's Plays or 3 Mythics of the same color. WHY CAN'T I EVER BE THAT GUY T_T


Yeah, I would only play sealed if there were an odd number of people, or too little. It costs more, the decks are inherently worse and less creative, and draft gives you some contorl over what your opponents are getting.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 07 2011 02:34 GMT
#2166
Why do people hate Modern as a format? Our store who regularly has 20ish people show up for both Standard and Legacy had a grand total of 5 people show up for Modern...

Sure it's a new format but I figured at least 8 would show up considering the tournaments was FREE. I had friends with non legit decks show up. Ok I don't mean no legit, I mean rogue. Like RG elves and WB control.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
December 07 2011 03:40 GMT
#2167
Modern hasn't even had a season yet. I have my deck built, but that's because Melira is too fun to not play. Been messing around with Questvine (lots of free creatures in the format) to moderate success. Also need to try T-Steel, because it seems fast enough to contend with Zoo varaints.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 07 2011 03:50 GMT
#2168
On December 07 2011 11:34 Shotcoder wrote:
Why do people hate Modern as a format? Our store who regularly has 20ish people show up for both Standard and Legacy had a grand total of 5 people show up for Modern...

Sure it's a new format but I figured at least 8 would show up considering the tournaments was FREE. I had friends with non legit decks show up. Ok I don't mean no legit, I mean rogue. Like RG elves and WB control.


Gr Elves legit, do Curio powered loops until you draw Grapeshot then Grapeshot for like 50+ lol
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 07 2011 04:27 GMT
#2169
Good modern decks are expensive why would I enter a budget modern tourney that would have me play against decks that either flat out destroy me or that I've never seen before.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
December 07 2011 04:42 GMT
#2170
On December 07 2011 13:27 bumatlarge wrote:
Good modern decks are expensive why would I enter a budget modern tourney that would have me play against decks that either flat out destroy me or that I've never seen before.


Living End seems cheap, so does the past in flames/storm deck.

The crazy expensive ones are gonna be the zoo variants and anything that relies on a bunch of shocklands and/or goyfs.
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 07 2011 04:51 GMT
#2171
Guess that's true, I did play around with past in flames (who hasn't).

Also, are the beginnings of blocks noticeably lacking in the card pool department? I came into magic when NPH got spoiled, so I was kinda adjusted to having a good amount of cards to explore with, but now when I'm fiddling with the gatherer, I feel like color lists for standard end way to soon. I probably haven't gotten over losing the zendikar stuff. I've never experienced this before :O
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
December 07 2011 05:27 GMT
#2172
On December 07 2011 13:51 bumatlarge wrote:
Guess that's true, I did play around with past in flames (who hasn't).

Also, are the beginnings of blocks noticeably lacking in the card pool department? I came into magic when NPH got spoiled, so I was kinda adjusted to having a good amount of cards to explore with, but now when I'm fiddling with the gatherer, I feel like color lists for standard end way to soon. I probably haven't gotten over losing the zendikar stuff. I've never experienced this before :O


Usually, the way i've seen it, in the first blocks you archtype/playmakers are established. Then the 2nd set comes around "fixes" a few things but tries to leave things intact and introduces 1 or 2 more plasuable ideas. The 3rd set gives you hardcounters/haymakers for matchups in almost every color, and usually those 1-2 cards that help stream line the decks that COULD be played in the 2nd set.

It's a vicious cycle.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-09 00:34:31
December 09 2011 00:34 GMT
#2173
So I did a draft

went mainly W with a splash of U

then got 2-0'd out by some vampire deck ._.
mainly because the first game I couldn't deal with a 5/5 vampire (stalking vampire), because I countered some wolf/vampire as well, and was stuck on 3 mana for most of the game, and mainly getting 4-5 drop draws T_T
second game I had a guy (stalker) just constantly just poked the opponent, but the opponent just kept on burning my other creatures, and then got out bigger (3/3+) creatures and then I died..... oh and I was getting mana _flooded_ that game

FML

main
+ Show Spoiler +

1 Abbey Griffin
1 Chapel Geist
1 Claustrophobia
1 Cloistered Youth
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Frightful Delusion
1 Gallows Warden
1 Hysterical Blindness
1 Invisible Stalker
5 Island
2 Midnight Haunting
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Moon Heron
1 One-Eyed Scarecrow
12 Plains
1 Silverchase Fox
1 Smite the Monstrous
1 Spectral Flight
1 Spectral Rider
1 Thraben Sentry
2 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Voiceless Spirit

sideboard
+ Show Spoiler +

1 Village Ironsmith
1 Urgent Exorcism
1 Traitorous Blood
1 Thraben Purebloods
1 Stony Silence
1 Smite the Monstrous
1 Selhoff Occultist
1 Nevermore
1 Mountain
1 Mask of Avacyn
1 Lost in the Mist
1 Kindercatch
1 Island
1 Harvest Pyre
1 Graveyard Shovel
1 Forest
1 Curse of Oblivion
1 Cobbled Wings
1 Claustrophobia
1 Boneyard Wurm
1 Bloodcrazed Neonate
1 Ambush Viper


then again it was 4-3-2-2 as I'm still getting used to how to draft (first time drafting, didn't really see any good rares anyways), so at least I get 2 boosters out of that though, but oh well T.T
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 09 2011 00:38 GMT
#2174
Mmm, definitely play both Claustraphobia main board. And I'll mainboard Urgent Exorcism sometimes, guess it depends on what I saw through the day.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
December 09 2011 00:45 GMT
#2175
On December 09 2011 09:38 slyboogie wrote:
Mmm, definitely play both Claustraphobia main board. And I'll mainboard Urgent Exorcism sometimes, guess it depends on what I saw through the day.

except I felt my deck was mainly like a white flying/unblockable weenie force, and I'd have to decide what to take out for another Claustraphobia...

I'm also not sure if in that type of deck... do I really need 17 lands o_o, game 2 I got like land flooded for like 5-6 turns when I needed more creatures.... Asdf

as for Urgent Exorcism, the only enchantments I saw while the packs were floating around were like just.... the curses, which I guess I could've put it in, though luckly the guy that I played against didn't really have those ones. I was thinking of using it as sideboard just in case though, yeah
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 09 2011 00:47 GMT
#2176
Okay, that's fine. I'm not really the type to scold anyone for their draft choices. I just like hearing their reasoning.

That being said, you're running Frightful Delusion, don't you think Claustrophobia would be better there?
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
December 09 2011 00:56 GMT
#2177
On December 09 2011 09:47 slyboogie wrote:
Okay, that's fine. I'm not really the type to scold anyone for their draft choices. I just like hearing their reasoning.

That being said, you're running Frightful Delusion, don't you think Claustrophobia would be better there?


Hmm, I just felt that auras are kinda liabilities, frightful delusion makes it so I get to counter things and make them discard, while claustrophobia just locks them down, and if they really had any sort of removal of enchantments then I'd probably be screwed ish...

at least that's what I thought... .also Claustrophobia is 1UU while Frightful is 2U, and I'm going pretty W heavy.... so that was another consideration I thought....

... although I'm not sure if my reasoning is 100% correct in these cases but.... Uhm... Yeah (because BR that I faced against I could've locked his vampires down and he wouldn't be able to untap them or kill the enchantments

.... idk.at least when I was making the deck initially that's what I did....
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-09 01:33:50
December 09 2011 01:33 GMT
#2178
I was reading Craig Wescoe's article on WhiteWeenie and Alex Shearer's Article "Your Targets define you" and I have to agree with everything they've said about certain players playing with certain deck archetypes.

I was just considering myself and my friends that I've played with since I started and I can see the trend for sure. I've definitely put up better results with White Weenie and RDW than I have with other decks such as post ban Caw Blade and Control decks while my friend are the complete opposite.

@Zhurai: if I'm blue and I have access to multiple claustrophobia's then I will always find room for it. Same with things Like Grasp. It maybe be an Aura but it's still cheap removal.

I understand your argument about mana availability, but I feel the card is good enough to warrant inclusion in and deck that is playing blue.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
bobbob
Profile Joined December 2009
United States368 Posts
December 09 2011 02:22 GMT
#2179
Cut the hysterical blindness for sure, that card is pretty terrible almost always, smite the monstrous should probably be played over an unruly mob, or one eyed scarecrow. Overall, that draft pool seems really mediocre, very little removal despite being in UW.

Scarecrow is a decent SB card, but it often doesn't bring anything to the table if you are on the aggressive side.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 09 2011 02:48 GMT
#2180
On December 09 2011 09:56 zhurai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2011 09:47 slyboogie wrote:
Okay, that's fine. I'm not really the type to scold anyone for their draft choices. I just like hearing their reasoning.

That being said, you're running Frightful Delusion, don't you think Claustrophobia would be better there?


Hmm, I just felt that auras are kinda liabilities, frightful delusion makes it so I get to counter things and make them discard, while claustrophobia just locks them down, and if they really had any sort of removal of enchantments then I'd probably be screwed ish...

at least that's what I thought... .also Claustrophobia is 1UU while Frightful is 2U, and I'm going pretty W heavy.... so that was another consideration I thought....

... although I'm not sure if my reasoning is 100% correct in these cases but.... Uhm... Yeah (because BR that I faced against I could've locked his vampires down and he wouldn't be able to untap them or kill the enchantments

.... idk.at least when I was making the deck initially that's what I did....


Frightful Delusion can be a total blowout by nature but it really works once, don't you think? It can be played around easily by an experience limited guy, leaving mana up on turn 3-6 is a pretty big tell in this format. Claustrophobia is almost always relevant - in this case, I think Claustrophobia is a better call.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Prev 1 107 108 109 110 111 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings171
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 203
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 214
Terrorterran 16
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm243
League of Legends
Doublelift5846
JimRising 740
Counter-Strike
taco 274
minikerr53
Other Games
summit1g12017
C9.Mang0414
PiLiPiLi10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1202
BasetradeTV203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP185
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 25m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 25m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 25m
Replay Cast
20h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.