• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:12
CEST 23:12
KST 06:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War335.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8036 users

So I just installed Baldur's Gate II - Page 41

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 80 Next
King.Crimson
Profile Joined June 2011
Romania478 Posts
September 19 2011 04:14 GMT
#801
Are you sure you didn't start a ToB game? That would explain so many proficiency points. Btw u might want to change that avatar, that's Garrick's picture - a bard NPC from BG1
zaMNal
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Mongolia385 Posts
September 19 2011 04:48 GMT
#802
You're right, it was ToB.. Damn.
Why are those avatars available for character creation, if they are being used by NPCs? (first Minsc, now Garrick..) Kinda lame. If I choose any other avatar, are they also used by NPCs? How can I know the ones that aren't used?
King.Crimson
Profile Joined June 2011
Romania478 Posts
September 19 2011 05:04 GMT
#803
On September 19 2011 13:48 zaMNal wrote:
You're right, it was ToB.. Damn.
Why are those avatars available for character creation, if they are being used by NPCs? (first Minsc, now Garrick..) Kinda lame. If I choose any other avatar, are they also used by NPCs? How can I know the ones that aren't used?


90% of them are used by NPC's actually. I recommend you google baldur's gate portraits and pick one you like from there.
zaMNal
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Mongolia385 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 06:53:31
September 19 2011 06:45 GMT
#804
Did some google search. I like this one:

[image loading]
masterbreti
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)2711 Posts
September 19 2011 07:09 GMT
#805
I've tried getting into this game but I can't seem to get past the graphics. Looks awesome, any games made with better graphics that might start me off in the genre so I can eventually play this game and overlook the graphics.
hai2u
Profile Joined September 2011
688 Posts
September 19 2011 07:23 GMT
#806
dude the graphics in BG2 are awesome, especially with widescreen mod. BG1 looks pretty bad by itself but if you download BGT you can play BG1 using the BG2 engine.
Newbistic
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
China2912 Posts
September 19 2011 07:32 GMT
#807
On September 19 2011 16:09 masterbreti wrote:
I've tried getting into this game but I can't seem to get past the graphics. Looks awesome, any games made with better graphics that might start me off in the genre so I can eventually play this game and overlook the graphics.


My advice would be to just play for about an hour or two and see if you can't ease yourself into the game. If you're hooked by then you'll get used to the graphics.

If not, you can try playing Planescape: Torment before playing this game. P:T uses an improved version of the Infinity engine featuring more detailed sprites and environment. It'll get your accustomed to the gameplay so you can go back to play the BG series.
Logic is Overrated
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 09:58:55
September 19 2011 09:56 GMT
#808
On September 19 2011 16:09 masterbreti wrote:
I've tried getting into this game but I can't seem to get past the graphics. Looks awesome, any games made with better graphics that might start me off in the genre so I can eventually play this game and overlook the graphics.

You know why you need to play this game: Do you know any other game where if you walk around in rain a lightning can strike your metal armored party members?

As for graphics, if you tried to play BG1 go play BG2 and see if you can play that. Also mods are a must for widescreen monitors of today.

If you played BG2 and didn't like graphics go play Neverwinter nights 1 (or 2) and get into D&D party RPG and then come back to good old infinity engine D&D games.
With all graphical improvements of NWN1 and 2, BG games are still way better.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10964 Posts
September 19 2011 10:22 GMT
#809
NWN1 (not talking about the add on) had a really weak singleplayer.
NWN2 is a little better.

BUT the official Addons to these games are probably the best games since Baldurs Gate 2/Planescape Torment. I would give them a try.
GeneralCash
Profile Joined December 2005
Croatia346 Posts
September 19 2011 19:15 GMT
#810
nwn2 is the biggest piece of shit bioware ever released. only the last add on is even barely playable. nwn1 is shit but has good community modules so it's worth getting.

i found ps:t insanely boring, it has a wall of text in every dialogue, you can't rest anywhere, character/party creation is gimped and combat is easy and repetitive.

if you ask me, iwd is the best looking infinity engine game, the artwork and level design is just beautiful. it also features awesome massive battles that lack in bg2 (bg2 has better boss fights). it's a dungeon crawl, so not everyone could be impressed.

nwn2 is also pretty good, it's 3rd edition so it has a lot of character combinations and with it's high difficulty it's very replayable.
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 20:49:09
September 19 2011 20:47 GMT
#811
On September 20 2011 04:15 GeneralCash wrote:i found ps:t insanely boring, it has a wall of text in every dialogue, you can't rest anywhere, character/party creation is gimped and combat is easy and repetitive.

You've kind of missed the point of the game.

On September 20 2011 04:15 GeneralCash wrote:
nwn2 is the biggest piece of shit bioware ever released. only the last add on is even barely playable.

nwn2 is also pretty good, it's 3rd edition so it has a lot of character combinations and with it's high difficulty it's very replayable.

Ok nvm I'm just going to assume your whole post is a vortex of contradictions and insanity.
Archers_bane
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 21:23:28
September 19 2011 20:57 GMT
#812
Ok I played Torment, but is BG2 really as good as Torment?

And do I have to play BG1 before playing BG2? So let me get this right, its BG1 then to BG2 which goes to an expansion? I am piqued by reading the first 3 pages of this thread.

And from what I got from reading the first pages of this thread is to NOT download mods when playing BG for the first time? Do I have to DL this game off of Steam or where do I get BG?
Starcraft's BW glory days have passed, RIP Jaedong's dominance - 2013...EDIT 2017: WE BACK BOYS
rezoacken
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2719 Posts
September 19 2011 21:33 GMT
#813
On September 20 2011 05:57 Archers_bane wrote:
Ok I played Torment, but is BG2 really as good as Torment?

And do I have to play BG1 before playing BG2? So let me get this right, its BG1 then to BG2 which goes to an expansion? I am piqued by reading the first 3 pages of this thread.

And from what I got from reading the first pages of this thread is to NOT download mods when playing BG for the first time? Do I have to DL this game off of Steam or where do I get BG?


f you liked PS:T you should like the BG series.

For the infinity engine RPGs you could say PS:T has the strongest story and is very dialogue/story/environment oriented, the combats are really the worst of these games but it's a difinetly unique setting and world.

BG and BG2 are set in a more common fantasy world, the story is pretty good though especially with BG2 and BG2ToB. The combats are better (more tactics) and more numerous than PST.

IcewindDale is set in the same universe than BG but in an icy region, it's more action oriented though (still strategic), a lot more combats and dungeon crawling. You play with the same rules as BG (same classes etc)

All games uses more or less the same gameplay, so if you liked PST you should enjoy the other ones. The only main differences are the rules/class systems, the story, the environment and the portion of the game reserved for combat.

I advise you to get BG1, BG2 and BG2:ToB. Then use a mod (BGT) that enables you to play BG1 using BG2 engine, it will make the experience better.

TLDR: If you like one of the Infinity engine game you should give a try to the others.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
Kerence
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1817 Posts
September 19 2011 21:36 GMT
#814
On September 20 2011 05:57 Archers_bane wrote:
Ok I played Torment, but is BG2 really as good as Torment?

And do I have to play BG1 before playing BG2? So let me get this right, its BG1 then to BG2 which goes to an expansion? I am piqued by reading the first 3 pages of this thread.

And from what I got from reading the first pages of this thread is to NOT download mods when playing BG for the first time? Do I have to DL this game off of Steam or where do I get BG?


BG2 is more combat oriented than Torment (Torment doesn't really focus on combat at all, as you may have noticed). As for which is better, I'd say that's pretty much personal preference.

And you don't have to play BG1 first, but BG2 continues off where the first game ends, and you can import your character from BG1. This means you'll miss out on some of the story if you skip the first game and you won't recognize the reoccurring characters. There's also an expansion for BG1, but that is accessed during the game and not after like BG2: ToB is. So Yes, BG1/TotSC -> BG2 -> BG2: ToB.

As for the mods, I'd get the Baldurdash Fixpack for sure, it's pretty much only bugfixes iirc (several years since I last played BG). There's also a mod that allows you to play BG1 in BG2's engine. I never tried it myself, but from what I've heard it works almost flawless (there's a small problem with proficiencies I think, since BG1 and BG2 use different ones).

As the guy above me mentions, there's also Icewind Dale (1+2), and that almost completely focuses on combat/dungeon crawling if you like that.
I am here in the shadows.
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
September 19 2011 21:43 GMT
#815
Sorry if it's really offtopic but what's the ruling on NWN I vs. NWN II?
kiss kiss fall in love
MattyClutch
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States711 Posts
September 19 2011 21:46 GMT
#816
On September 19 2011 16:23 hai2u wrote:
dude the graphics in BG2 are awesome, especially with widescreen mod. BG1 looks pretty bad by itself but if you download BGT you can play BG1 using the BG2 engine.


http://spellholdstudios.net/ie/bgt

:o I was unaware of this. Thank you good sir you are a gentleman and a scholar. Now to find my BG discs...


Nihn'kas Neehn
King.Crimson
Profile Joined June 2011
Romania478 Posts
September 19 2011 21:51 GMT
#817
On September 20 2011 06:46 MattyClutch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 16:23 hai2u wrote:
dude the graphics in BG2 are awesome, especially with widescreen mod. BG1 looks pretty bad by itself but if you download BGT you can play BG1 using the BG2 engine.


http://spellholdstudios.net/ie/bgt

:o I was unaware of this. Thank you good sir you are a gentleman and a scholar. Now to find my BG discs...




Here is the correct sequence to install these mods. If you want to keep it simple, just install the BG2 Fixpack and BG Trilogy:

http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1415
Kerence
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1817 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 22:16:50
September 19 2011 21:59 GMT
#818
On September 20 2011 06:43 IntoTheheart wrote:
Sorry if it's really offtopic but what's the ruling on NWN I vs. NWN II?


So I fail at reading the question I suppose...

Anyway, to answer the real question, NWN1 has a pretty horrible campaign, it gets slightly better in the expansions, but you really get NWN1 for the user created content (and multiplayer I suppose, if that's your thing). NWN1 uses D&D 3rd Edition.

NWN2 is better in the single player part, but since NWN2 isn't made by Bioware, but Obsidian Entertainment, it suffers from the usual Obsidian problems (aka bugs). Not really sure if patches made it any better (the first ones didn't really fix all of them). NWN2 uses D&D 3.5 Edition.
I am here in the shadows.
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
September 19 2011 22:02 GMT
#819
Story and plot wise I think that Torment and the original Baldur's Gate were awesome. Shadows of Amn was definitely top class as well. The IWD games were pretty decent as well, but they felt too linear. TOB was alright, but the main appeal of it for me was messing around with massively high level characters. I hated NW1+2 so I can't give a decent opinion on them.

Gameplay wise SOA is probably the best. Its the sweet spot between BG1 and TOB where you aren't too low level that you cast 2 spells and then hit things for the rest of the fight, but aren't totally overpowered. Great selection of items, weapons etc, and the combat plays out nicely. IWD2 is awesome as well, but again the linearity gimps it for me. Torment is more about the story really.

Overall I have to say BG1 + SOA are my favourites. I've played through them so many times and they never get boring for me.
Archers_bane
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1338 Posts
September 19 2011 22:32 GMT
#820
So I have to get BG1, BG2, BG2 Expansion and install it all to be able to play with the BGTrilogy Mod? I have a lot of time on my hands, might as well get into a badass game
Starcraft's BW glory days have passed, RIP Jaedong's dominance - 2013...EDIT 2017: WE BACK BOYS
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 80 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 553
ProTech135
UpATreeSC 102
Nina 60
NeuroSwarm 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14698
910 73
soO 45
NaDa 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever210
canceldota96
League of Legends
Doublelift2436
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4251
Other Games
summit1g2685
fl0m1366
olofmeister879
FrodaN851
Liquid`Hasu330
C9.Mang0214
Livibee186
ToD89
PPMD21
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 22
[ Show 22 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 50
• poizon28 21
• Adnapsc2 12
• musti20045 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 58
• FirePhoenix9
• Michael_bg 4
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21291
• WagamamaTV523
League of Legends
• Scarra686
Other Games
• imaqtpie1012
• Shiphtur659
• tFFMrPink 14
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 48m
Big Brain Bouts
12h 48m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
19h 48m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
21h 48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 12h
Patches Events
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.