• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:56
CEST 18:56
KST 01:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)71Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8042 users

So I just installed Baldur's Gate II - Page 80

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 78 79 80
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-12 14:49:17
May 12 2015 14:33 GMT
#1581
Plain Dispel/Remove Magic works for most of the encounters in BG1 because the game doesn't throw Mage encounters that are 20-30 levels higher than you (e.g. 35th level caster Liches), so you have realistic % chances for Dispel Magic, and Spell Immunity: Abjuration is too high level for BG1 mages to access. There are some encounters that are too high level for this when you first encounter them, but most of those are also skippable until your level is high enough for it to be manageable. Honestly I just made sure every caster reserved a 3rd level slot for Dispel Magic (a good idea anyway because you don't have protections against a lot of low level save-or-sucks yet), and just layer them all on in a mage fight and almost always one sticks--don't really have to cheese them by waiting out buffs.

I honestly liked the BG1 SCS challenges way better. BG2 SCS gets super dry toward the end of SoA because every mage uses the same goddamn set of contingencies/pre-buffs (Improved Invis/Mislead + SI:D + SI:A + PfMW + Spell Trap/Spell Shield/Spell Deflection/etc. + a ton of combat protections I don't care about because I need to get through to Breach PfMW anyway), so it feels like I'm just playing mage combats with a formula.

The tactical challenges in BG1 SCS were much more varied and interesting.
Moderator
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
May 12 2015 15:43 GMT
#1582
Lot of the time I didn't have those spells and had to battle quite a few mages without dispel or remove magic. Even if I had Dispel I had one and it didn't guarantee anything. Easier to just do what I did, buff the dwarf NPC with potion that gives you 3 turns of automatically passing all saves and have enough healing potions on hand.

Enemy casters had lvl 4 and 5 spells when my party only got lvl 3 spells, not really a fair fight. And they had sequencers and I used the option where they started combat prebuffed. The fight outside the Mine with 2 such mages was probably the toughest so far (and so was vs Davaeron but mostly due to reinforcements that keep coming and coming).
esdf
Profile Joined December 2012
Croatia736 Posts
March 17 2016 19:08 GMT
#1583
The expansion has been announced (quite some time ago), http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/
why do you not believe it? the legend has alived!
DucK-
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Singapore11447 Posts
March 25 2017 09:33 GMT
#1584
Hi all. I've never played this game before. I understand that this game has many possibilities. However I'm the kind of gamer that likes linearity. Since BG is anything but linear, could I have suggestions on how I should play the game? Which class, which alignment and any particular secrets/characters I should take note off?

Also, do I need BG1 or just starting BG2 is good enough?
Chaosquo
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany154 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-25 09:47:20
March 25 2017 09:44 GMT
#1585
Ive never played BG 1 and went for BG 2 straight. It worked pretty well, most of your background is explained to you. There are some references to things that happened in BG 1, but they did not impede my enjoyment of the game. Afaik, there isnt much class specific content in BG 2.
Immersion_
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom794 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-25 11:44:12
March 25 2017 11:43 GMT
#1586
Well there's the strongholds which are class specific. If it's your first go I would worry too much, Kensai Duelled to Mage is probably the "strongest", but a fighter/mage would be a fun first try! Stoneskin at lvl 5 is the most important spell for most of the game.
http://www.twitch.tv/sybar1te Sybarite#2581 - add me for Heroes games. .Play Hots and Overwatch currently. Feel free to add.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
March 25 2017 16:08 GMT
#1587
On March 25 2017 18:33 DucK- wrote:
Hi all. I've never played this game before. I understand that this game has many possibilities. However I'm the kind of gamer that likes linearity. Since BG is anything but linear, could I have suggestions on how I should play the game? Which class, which alignment and any particular secrets/characters I should take note off?

Also, do I need BG1 or just starting BG2 is good enough?


Starting with BG2 is fine, you just start with way more spells and probably should do some research/reading on which are good/necessary.

You can start as pretty much anything you want. Fighter types are just a bit boring (barely any skills to use manually) but you have a party of 6 anyway, so this doesn't matter much.
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-30 13:21:01
March 30 2017 12:42 GMT
#1588
On March 25 2017 18:33 DucK- wrote:
Hi all. I've never played this game before. I understand that this game has many possibilities. However I'm the kind of gamer that likes linearity. Since BG is anything but linear, could I have suggestions on how I should play the game? Which class, which alignment and any particular secrets/characters I should take note off?

Also, do I need BG1 or just starting BG2 is good enough?


A large part of BG2 (chapter 2) is all about running around to gather enough gold to progress to chapter 3, so there's practically no linearity there. It's like: "ok you got through intro sequence, time to get your sidequesting done". After that it's a straight, though very long, line to the end, with only the ocassional sidequest.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Prev 1 78 79 80
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM604
TaKeTV 238
IndyStarCraft 120
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2068
RotterdaM 604
ByuN 260
MaxPax 153
IndyStarCraft 120
BRAT_OK 102
UpATreeSC 30
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3578
Shuttle 850
Stork 408
Mini 387
EffOrt 314
Horang2 229
Rush 217
Mind 158
Dewaltoss 100
910 78
[ Show more ]
Mong 75
Zeus 70
hero 60
Snow 53
Shinee 40
JYJ 35
HiyA 35
sorry 31
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 23
Killer 20
Terrorterran 15
Sexy 11
zelot 11
scan(afreeca) 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5845
qojqva2823
Counter-Strike
fl0m4955
Fnx 689
pashabiceps6
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby231
Other Games
singsing2218
Beastyqt659
ceh9540
Hui .214
XaKoH 151
Trikslyr77
QueenE57
Chillindude27
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV41
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 4m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 4m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.