• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:25
CEST 19:25
KST 02:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War255.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8619 users

So I just installed Baldur's Gate II - Page 35

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 80 Next
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 05 2011 21:12 GMT
#681
COol idea but why can't you have a good guy version of that? Like making a temple to your chosen deity or a fortress of noble paladins, or a neutral stronghold like a forest den? There are of course groups of evil alignment adventurers.... cool idea though.
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 13 2011 00:49 GMT
#682
by the way guys, check this out, awesome speed run on BG2 in 23 minutes, it's unbelievably pro and complicated

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html
Bajadulce
Profile Joined October 2004
United States322 Posts
January 14 2011 01:50 GMT
#683
@ speed run
WOW.. that is amazing. thnx for sharing. Great video.
Planar Erratus: (www.broodwarai.com/mods/peai) Where the worlds of Baldur’s Gate, Arcanum, Diablo, Icewind Dale, Torment, and Warcraft collide with Starcraft. Don't question, just play! ... Dedicated to all my TL.net friends and old schoolers!
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 14 2011 03:36 GMT
#684
"Some shapechange abilities, such as Polymorph - Mustard Jelly, can turn a smaller character (natural form) into a bigger one (mustard jelly form). If a character shapechanges into larger form, the game will try to place this larger form where the character was. If the larger form will not fit, the game looks for the closest available spot - which may be on the other side of a door or wall."

bwaahhaha I mean seriously, would never in my entire life have thought of it
Bajadulce
Profile Joined October 2004
United States322 Posts
January 14 2011 08:24 GMT
#685
Ya interesting how they came up with some of those tricks. Good read.

Also, I didn't realize you could jump to the portal (yoshimo) in the opening dungeon that fast? Thought you needed the golem to open door etc. Maybe I just missed something or it's been forever? I see he fought his way through the underground rather than go through city.. or so I seem to recall that one option.

And did he have the dialogue's response hotkeys memorized or something? Holly shit he blazes through the dialogues!

Seeing the final cutscene again was moving. Haven't played the game through in at least 7 or so years. Never played TOB, but am enticed to do so now. Need to finish the trilogy.

Planar Erratus: (www.broodwarai.com/mods/peai) Where the worlds of Baldur’s Gate, Arcanum, Diablo, Icewind Dale, Torment, and Warcraft collide with Starcraft. Don't question, just play! ... Dedicated to all my TL.net friends and old schoolers!
TigerKarl
Profile Joined November 2010
1757 Posts
January 14 2011 08:50 GMT
#686
On January 13 2011 09:49 sc4k wrote:
by the way guys, check this out, awesome speed run on BG2 in 23 minutes, it's unbelievably pro and complicated

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html

It doesn't seem as pro when you see that he is using some cheatcodes or at least mods that give him almonst infinite money at the start of the game. Nice it is though.

Currently i am playing Baldurs Gate 2 again. It is so superior to modern games like Dragon Age.
Just imagine a new Baldurs Gate with detailed and beautiful 2D Graphics (or 3D with a locked camera) and the possibilities of group dynamics like in Mass Effect 2. That would be so incredibly ace.
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 14 2011 08:58 GMT
#687
On January 14 2011 17:50 TigerKarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2011 09:49 sc4k wrote:
by the way guys, check this out, awesome speed run on BG2 in 23 minutes, it's unbelievably pro and complicated

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html

It doesn't seem as pro when you see that he is using some cheatcodes or at least mods that give him almonst infinite money at the start of the game. Nice it is though.

Currently i am playing Baldurs Gate 2 again. It is so superior to modern games like Dragon Age.
Just imagine a new Baldurs Gate with detailed and beautiful 2D Graphics (or 3D with a locked camera) and the possibilities of group dynamics like in Mass Effect 2. That would be so incredibly ace.


OMG read the god damned guide dude, he's using a legit GLITCH.

You can basically tell your character to drink a potion, then switch the potion with a gem, and the game tries to 'use the gem' which sets the gem's 'total' to 0.

Then you use the same thing again, and it takes off '1' from the total of gems, which means it goes to -1. But it CAN'T go to negative, so it wraps around to the TOP amount ie 65535 or something like that.

It's LEGIT, like rocket jumping, bunny hopping or grenade climbing in other games.
Mindcrime
Profile Joined July 2004
United States6899 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-14 09:06:03
January 14 2011 09:05 GMT
#688
On January 14 2011 17:50 TigerKarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2011 09:49 sc4k wrote:
by the way guys, check this out, awesome speed run on BG2 in 23 minutes, it's unbelievably pro and complicated

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html

It doesn't seem as pro when you see that he is using some cheatcodes or at least mods that give him almonst infinite money at the start of the game. Nice it is though.


You are mistaken. There are no mods nor codes involved. He used a glitch in a rather clever way.

You may have noticed when you play that drinking a potion from the inventory screen doesn't drink the potion immediately. Instead, it gives an order to "use" whatever is in that inventory slot. If you unpause by leaving the inventory screen, you will drink the potion. If, however, you move something else into the spot where the potion was before unpausing, the game will "use" this new item.

In this case, the item I swap with the potion is a gem. The game "uses" the gem, and it depletes one charge. Because gems are not meant to be consumable, like other stackable items (potions, scrolls and ammo) are, the game does not know that it should delete the stack once it is reduced to 0 items, so I am left with a stack of 0 gems. If I again 'use' the stack of 0 gems, it will not become -1 gems since counts for stacked items are stored in unsigned 16 bit integers. In unsigned integer arithmetic, a value of -1 cycles around to the maximum value that the 16 bit integer can hold, which is (2^16)-1 or 65535. Conversely, if I had 65535 gems and got one more, the stack would become 0. Thanks to clone_rizzo for this idea.
That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.
Casta
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark234 Posts
January 14 2011 09:50 GMT
#689
On January 13 2011 09:49 sc4k wrote:
by the way guys, check this out, awesome speed run on BG2 in 23 minutes, it's unbelievably pro and complicated

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html


Nice speedrun, pretty impressive.

Lots of stuff I didn't know you could do.. like potion abuse use items and reform party area glitching.

The backstabbing yoshimo in Iron golem form is quite hilarious, gonna have to try that out at some point
DND_Enkil
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden598 Posts
January 14 2011 10:08 GMT
#690
On January 14 2011 17:24 Bajadulce wrote:
Ya interesting how they came up with some of those tricks. Good read.

Also, I didn't realize you could jump to the portal (yoshimo) in the opening dungeon that fast? Thought you needed the golem to open door etc. Maybe I just missed something or it's been forever? I see he fought his way through the underground rather than go through city.. or so I seem to recall that one option.



He uses the shapeshift glitch to move get into Irenicus Mistress' room and get the key to the portal. Normally you go the long way around to get the key.
"If you write about a sewing needle there is always some one-eyed bastard that gets offended" - Fritiof The Pirate Nilsson
DND_Enkil
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden598 Posts
January 14 2011 10:13 GMT
#691
On January 02 2011 18:56 theBOOCH wrote:
Has anyone played Dragon Age? I hear it's supposed to be the true spiritual successor to BG/IWD.


I think it does a fair job, where it kinda fails is the combat system that is quite different from BG. Maybe that is because today AI is just much more advanced i dont really know but it has a different feel to it.

But even so i find the combat pretty damn fun to play. If you like modern RPG's at all chances are you will love DA.
"If you write about a sewing needle there is always some one-eyed bastard that gets offended" - Fritiof The Pirate Nilsson
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10964 Posts
January 14 2011 15:19 GMT
#692
DA is like Baldurs Gate "light".

You most probably will like it, but it does not really compare (it's not as big, it's not as deep....), the only thing were it truely shines is NPC interaction.
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
January 14 2011 15:27 GMT
#693
On January 15 2011 00:19 Velr wrote:
DA is like Baldurs Gate "light".

You most probably will like it, but it does not really compare (it's not as big, it's not as deep....), the only thing were it truely shines is NPC interaction.


That and the story is just bad. Not SC2 bad, but disappointing.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
Rflcrx
Profile Joined October 2010
503 Posts
February 06 2011 13:08 GMT
#694
Man it happens to me everytime..I install BG1 and 2 as megamod and intend to play it as a whole but in chapter 5 or 6, after I discovered everything in BG1 I just lose interest and start playing something else :| I found fights at level 6 or 7 pretty boring and I am missing the adventures
feaynnewedd
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany41 Posts
February 06 2011 13:24 GMT
#695
WHOOOOOOO BG II BEST GAME EVAAAA!
had to say it. If you're into EPIC EPIC EPIC long rpg's there is so many fan mods and the ascension mod (google it) makes the game much more worthwhile.
Dinotoss hwaiting!
Ganfei2
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
473 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 18:06:03
February 06 2011 17:14 GMT
#696
That speedrun was incredible, lol. Hilarious to watch.

I doubt anyone will read this but my take on Dragon Age was that it was definitely fun, but nowhere near as story-intensive or "epic" as Baldur's Gate. Then again, it's pretty hard to out-epic the BG storyline. I enjoyed the up-to-date graphics and it's definitely fun. Trying to compare a game to the BG series is a crapshoot if you're the kind of person who loves story-driven games, since BG still remains without any contest among the top of its genre (to me, the best, but some prefer Planescape etc).
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
March 18 2011 21:31 GMT
#697
I just installed BG2 (had a 500b iso, thought it was incomplete or something, but turns out it worked, so since I had absolutely nothing else to do, I gave it a try).

I guess I'm not really good since it took me ~4-5 hours (add 2-3 including reloads) and two rests just to get out of the first "dungeon", but whatever, I'll try the game on normal setting to finish it a first time, and for my second playthrough I'll play BG first and set this one to an easier difficulty setting to concentrate on the story line and not fights I'll have already done.

Do you have some pieces of advice to a beginner? I started with a human thief (something like 18 dex, and 14 to all the rest except wisdom at 12 or 13) neutral bad, and noticed I should use spells over potions since those are very expensive. Also, do charm spells have their use? I quite like the idea but I'm not sure how I could use them without a RL GM, except for "stealing" an opponent for some rounds during a fight.
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
DennizR
Profile Joined May 2007
Sweden653 Posts
March 18 2011 21:49 GMT
#698
On March 19 2011 06:31 Alaric wrote:
I just installed BG2 (had a 500b iso, thought it was incomplete or something, but turns out it worked, so since I had absolutely nothing else to do, I gave it a try).

I guess I'm not really good since it took me ~4-5 hours (add 2-3 including reloads) and two rests just to get out of the first "dungeon", but whatever, I'll try the game on normal setting to finish it a first time, and for my second playthrough I'll play BG first and set this one to an easier difficulty setting to concentrate on the story line and not fights I'll have already done.

Do you have some pieces of advice to a beginner? I started with a human thief (something like 18 dex, and 14 to all the rest except wisdom at 12 or 13) neutral bad, and noticed I should use spells over potions since those are very expensive. Also, do charm spells have their use? I quite like the idea but I'm not sure how I could use them without a RL GM, except for "stealing" an opponent for some rounds during a fight.


If it is your first time playing through, then let it take the time it takes, explore everything and do all the quests you come across, because the game is amazing if you are into the genre.

If you mean for healing then yes, it is a good idea to have at least 1 cleric/druid to use as a healer, in time you will get tons of potions as well though.

Charm spells are not that useful in BG2, most enemies that are charmable are met in trivial encounters, so no real need to use it.

It is a tad bit more difficult to play as an evil party in BG2, but not much. However, the evil NPCs are much stronger than the others, not to mention alot more fun to have in the party and enjoy their banter. You do gain alot of reputation by doing quests though, and if you get high enough that your characters whine and threaten to leave, you'll just have to kill someone innocent in a small house or whatever, so that entire areas don't turn hostile.

I wish I just came across a game such as BG or BG2 and started playing it...
Aquafresh
Profile Joined May 2007
United States824 Posts
March 18 2011 21:52 GMT
#699
On March 19 2011 06:31 Alaric wrote:
Do you have some pieces of advice to a beginner? I started with a human thief (something like 18 dex, and 14 to all the rest except wisdom at 12 or 13) neutral bad, and noticed I should use spells over potions since those are very expensive.


Thieves are fun to play, abuse traps, they are unbelievably good in this game, though a vanilla thief doesn't get access to the awesome Bounty Hunter traps or the assassin super back-stab so he's really about utility. I would use the extra thief skill points to get 100% in detect illusion relatively fast because that ability will become extremely useful against spell-casters as it is more powerful than any anti-illusion spell in the game. If you are using AI mods detect illusion will keep you from getting killed against enemy thieves who like to chug invisibility potions and slaughter your weaker characters with back-stabs. Also don't worry too much about healing spells, potions are fairly cheap in the long run as you will have a ton of extra cash. They're nice to have, but I would prioritize key defensive spells over pure healing spells on your clerics.

Also, do charm spells have their use? I quite like the idea but I'm not sure how I could use them without a RL GM, except for "stealing" an opponent for some rounds during a fight.


Sadly this is true. Charm spells don't have much use on civilians beyond hoodwinking those you made hostile and sending them to a far corner of the map so they don't ever see you when the spell wears off. They don't even work too well on enemies because so many of them have high saving throws. They can still wreak havoc on your party though, and they're actually really useful in battle in BG1
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
March 18 2011 22:46 GMT
#700
I didn't read all of the thread this time, but I think I remember having read previously that "banter" is disrupted by the scripts and that I may have to patch/mod the game to get all of the dialogs?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a backstab icon in he skill bar, and my character get out of the shadows as soon as I select a weapon/the attack command during combat, so how do I backstab someone? Attacking from behind is enough (and the hard part), I don't need to be hidden?
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 80 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 373
ProTech151
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25962
Calm 5168
Light 170
Rush 161
Free 114
Barracks 104
910 91
Zeus 84
Mind 83
Trap 44
[ Show more ]
Hyun 33
Aegong 29
ToSsGirL 26
soO 26
Rock 25
Sexy 14
Sacsri 7
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9279
XaKoH 363
Counter-Strike
fl0m5647
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby1162
Other Games
singsing2015
FrodaN778
B2W.Neo582
Beastyqt567
mouzStarbuck280
crisheroes276
Livibee186
Hui .161
C9.Mang0133
RotterdaM121
KnowMe95
Trikslyr81
QueenE74
edward25
BRAT_OK 20
MindelVK7
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 18
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2499
Other Games
• Shiphtur811
• imaqtpie183
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 35m
Big Brain Bouts
16h 35m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
23h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
Patches Events
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.