• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:01
CEST 15:01
KST 22:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8111 users

What Are You Reading 2014 - Page 66

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 75 Next
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
November 04 2014 08:43 GMT
#1301
On November 03 2014 03:29 dmnum wrote:
god american covers are the worst

gonna try something new: for every two new books that I read I'll reread one. it's already working out great, because I just started Anna Karenina again


Just make sure it doesn't become: for every two new book I'll rearead Anna Karenina
Zest fanboy.
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
November 04 2014 10:42 GMT
#1302
On November 04 2014 17:43 sAsImre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2014 03:29 dmnum wrote:
god american covers are the worst

gonna try something new: for every two new books that I read I'll reread one. it's already working out great, because I just started Anna Karenina again


Just make sure it doesn't become: for every two new book I'll rearead Anna Karenina

not gonna lie, that is very possible
Mackh
Profile Joined November 2010
France132 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-04 11:21:26
November 04 2014 11:20 GMT
#1303
I have been reading a lot of David Brin recently,and i found it to be one of the best SF i read since Fondation :


So far i read all the novels revolving around the Uplift universe and they are all absolutly worth reading.

from wikipedia :
"This future history depicts a huge galactic civilization responsible for "uplifting" all forms of life which are potentially capable of developing sapience and star-travelling ability. [...]. In the "Uplift" novels humans are economically and technologically the weakest spacefaring race, and are an anomaly since they have no apparent "patron" species responsible for their uplift from animal pre-sapience.[...] This means that humanity (and its dolphin and chimpanzee clients) have entered the huge and fractious Civilization of the Five Galaxies unprepared; catching up to this advanced and uneasy culture provides tension for most of the Uplift stories."


[image loading]
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Pratchett
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 06 2014 01:16 GMT
#1304
I haven't read much David Brin but his novel Existence I thought was pretty damn good
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
November 06 2014 01:24 GMT
#1305
On November 04 2014 19:42 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2014 17:43 sAsImre wrote:
On November 03 2014 03:29 dmnum wrote:
god american covers are the worst

gonna try something new: for every two new books that I read I'll reread one. it's already working out great, because I just started Anna Karenina again


Just make sure it doesn't become: for every two new book I'll rearead Anna Karenina

not gonna lie, that is very possible


And then for every time five Anna Kareninas you re-read you re-read Anna Karenina. What could go wrong?
TranslatorBaa!
Mackh
Profile Joined November 2010
France132 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-06 09:32:41
November 06 2014 09:31 GMT
#1306
On November 06 2014 10:16 bookwyrm wrote:
I haven't read much David Brin but his novel Existence I thought was pretty damn good



Yeah that is definitely the next book i'll read i was kinda hesitating but you just convinced me.

Right now i am taking a little break from science fiction by re-reading Flash ou le grand Voyage.

[image loading]

It's a great french classic and it seems that it has an English version. I strongly recommend it as well.
It's an auto-biography by Charles Duchaussois about his experience travelling on the hippy trail.

This is a roughly translated summary:

Charles Duchaussois tells his journey from France , through the Middle East , arriving in Asia , the discovery of drugs and new territories. The protagonist is just drifting at the mercy of adventures and encounters. This is a trip filled with discoveries and deep introspection . The book clearly illustrates the hippie era of the 1960s .
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Pratchett
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
November 06 2014 19:13 GMT
#1307
On November 04 2014 20:20 Mackh wrote:
I have been reading a lot of David Brin recently,and i found it to be one of the best SF i read since Fondation :


So far i read all the novels revolving around the Uplift universe and they are all absolutly worth reading.

from wikipedia :
"This future history depicts a huge galactic civilization responsible for "uplifting" all forms of life which are potentially capable of developing sapience and star-travelling ability. [...]. In the "Uplift" novels humans are economically and technologically the weakest spacefaring race, and are an anomaly since they have no apparent "patron" species responsible for their uplift from animal pre-sapience.[...] This means that humanity (and its dolphin and chimpanzee clients) have entered the huge and fractious Civilization of the Five Galaxies unprepared; catching up to this advanced and uneasy culture provides tension for most of the Uplift stories."


[image loading]


I've only read the first three uplift novels and I feel that I've got a very mixed view on the books.
On one hand we got a "SciFi story of old", much in the same way the foundation is SciFi. It's has a interesting world built up around it, and some of the viewpoints feels different,it's almost like you can touch the mindset itself.
But on the other hand, I never had the slightest interest in any of the characters at all. Dueling dolphins, well, novel but please get it over with. Still, I got a fond memory of the series, and I feel they're well worth the read.
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-07 14:14:17
November 07 2014 14:13 GMT
#1308
On November 06 2014 10:24 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2014 19:42 dmnum wrote:
On November 04 2014 17:43 sAsImre wrote:
On November 03 2014 03:29 dmnum wrote:
god american covers are the worst

gonna try something new: for every two new books that I read I'll reread one. it's already working out great, because I just started Anna Karenina again


Just make sure it doesn't become: for every two new book I'll rearead Anna Karenina

not gonna lie, that is very possible


And then for every time five Anna Kareninas you re-read you re-read Anna Karenina. What could go wrong?

just need to find room for a war and peace of two and we're on to something
Mackh
Profile Joined November 2010
France132 Posts
November 07 2014 14:46 GMT
#1309
On November 07 2014 04:13 lungic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2014 20:20 Mackh wrote:
I have been reading a lot of David Brin recently,and i found it to be one of the best SF i read since Fondation :


So far i read all the novels revolving around the Uplift universe and they are all absolutly worth reading.

from wikipedia :
"This future history depicts a huge galactic civilization responsible for "uplifting" all forms of life which are potentially capable of developing sapience and star-travelling ability. [...]. In the "Uplift" novels humans are economically and technologically the weakest spacefaring race, and are an anomaly since they have no apparent "patron" species responsible for their uplift from animal pre-sapience.[...] This means that humanity (and its dolphin and chimpanzee clients) have entered the huge and fractious Civilization of the Five Galaxies unprepared; catching up to this advanced and uneasy culture provides tension for most of the Uplift stories."


[image loading]


I've only read the first three uplift novels and I feel that I've got a very mixed view on the books.
On one hand we got a "SciFi story of old", much in the same way the foundation is SciFi. It's has a interesting world built up around it, and some of the viewpoints feels different,it's almost like you can touch the mindset itself.
But on the other hand, I never had the slightest interest in any of the characters at all. Dueling dolphins, well, novel but please get it over with. Still, I got a fond memory of the series, and I feel they're well worth the read.



I find your second point interesting, most of the non human characters are indeed very hard to relate to.
They're used more as a medium to make us understand the main differences in logic and culture between the species and their toughs are often about galactic history/sociology. Therefore they're rapidly becoming more like observers on the global situations than actual characters.

I think that the author made it this way on purpose and that it really helps the reader to fully grasp the divergences in cultures and philosophies in the galactic civilization he envisioned.
In my opinion this gives a real consistency to his universe and a lot to think about which is what i really love about those novels.
But i definitely agree that i would have loved to have a bit more empathy with the protagonists.


If you haven't read the second trilogy,you should try them if you have the occasion (rising tides and the 2 last ones are the best in my opinion).
Plus you are missing some cool stuff, I won't spoil anything but the global plot is deep and as always everything comes together at the end

PS : I am not sure that my sentences always make sense and i apologize if they don't, talking about literature in English is kinda hard but it's a good practice tho
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Pratchett
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
November 07 2014 14:55 GMT
#1310
As far as I'm concerned, the more French people in this thread, the better.

Except for Boblion

I'm taking a break from coursework by re-reading

[image loading]

I highly recommend this work to anyone interested in tracing stylistic progress from the author's perspective.

"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 08 2014 04:44 GMT
#1311
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

my first idea for a seminar paper turned out to be a non-starter, back to the drawing board... hopefully something good will come out of all this...
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
November 09 2014 18:20 GMT
#1312
Just "read": 1984 - I actually listened to it on audiobook but yeah, nothing to add here that hasn't been said before. There's a certain kind of horror that comes from hearing about the world in this book and with no happy ending to ruin that whole thing, there's a weird feeling after finishing it. Not felt like this from a book in ages, just pure futility.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
NinthMango
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden8 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-12 21:48:38
November 12 2014 21:48 GMT
#1313
Does anybody here have any recommendations for "easy-to-read" worthwhile books about free will and neuroscience, neurology, neurostimulation and/or genetics? I would like to extend my knowledge on the subject as I think it would be beneficial for my philosophy classes. Being able to back up or falsify claims with "hard" science would make my life a lot easier.
packrat386
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States5077 Posts
November 12 2014 21:57 GMT
#1314
On November 13 2014 06:48 NinthMango wrote:
Being able to back up or falsify claims with "hard" science would make my life a lot easier.


GL with that. If philosophy could be solved by simply applying neuroscience, we'd have done that by now.
dreaming of a sunny day
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
November 12 2014 22:56 GMT
#1315
Go ahead and read the charlatan Daniel Dennett; I'm sure you'll stumble upon him at one point or another, and he'll confirm much of what I can tell you believe to be true in a delightfully ill-conceived manner :D
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 12 2014 23:07 GMT
#1316
Lol, the name has been spoken.
I have read a lot, but that will have to wait as I still only have one valid hand... Has anyone read Under thevolcano and can share his thought ?
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-12 23:23:40
November 12 2014 23:21 GMT
#1317
On November 13 2014 07:56 farvacola wrote:
Go ahead and read the charlatan Daniel Dennett; I'm sure you'll stumble upon him at one point or another, and he'll confirm much of what I can tell you believe to be true in a delightfully ill-conceived manner :D

Don't you dare call Santa a charlatan.
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
November 12 2014 23:28 GMT
#1318
On November 13 2014 08:21 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2014 07:56 farvacola wrote:
Go ahead and read the charlatan Daniel Dennett; I'm sure you'll stumble upon him at one point or another, and he'll confirm much of what I can tell you believe to be true in a delightfully ill-conceived manner :D

Don't you dare call Santa a charlatan.

I always thought of him looking more like John Hammond, but I guess he could pass for Santa.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
November 13 2014 00:56 GMT
#1319
<3 Dennett
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 13 2014 01:14 GMT
#1320
[image loading]

On November 13 2014 06:48 NinthMango wrote:
Does anybody here have any recommendations for "easy-to-read" worthwhile books about free will and neuroscience, neurology, neurostimulation and/or genetics? I would like to extend my knowledge on the subject as I think it would be beneficial for my philosophy classes. Being able to back up or falsify claims with "hard" science would make my life a lot easier.


Manuel DeLanda - Intensive Science and Virtual Philosophy
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1429
WardiTV760
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech132
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6529
Bisu 2225
Jaedong 1178
EffOrt 498
Horang2 463
actioN 336
Mini 254
ZerO 196
ggaemo 147
Larva 144
[ Show more ]
Pusan 117
Mind 109
Barracks 75
Bale 65
Sharp 65
Hyun 63
Sea.KH 62
Shinee 61
Yoon 55
Snow 54
Dewaltoss 50
ToSsGirL 35
hero 34
NotJumperer 27
sorry 18
Sacsri 17
scan(afreeca) 17
Noble 12
zelot 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
NaDa 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc3633
qojqva1330
Dendi1065
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1149
markeloff163
Other Games
hiko665
B2W.Neo504
Lowko433
crisheroes300
DeMusliM277
Pyrionflax192
Livibee137
QueenE79
Mew2King55
Liquid`VortiX21
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV892
League of Legends
• Jankos2090
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
10h 59m
Patches Events
1d 2h
The PondCast
1d 20h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.