• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:28
CEST 11:28
KST 18:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8825 users

What Are You Reading 2014 - Page 68

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 75 Next
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
November 16 2014 20:00 GMT
#1341
On November 17 2014 02:58 bookwyrm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2014 19:39 NinthMango wrote:
Anyway the DeLanda book is in a truck somewhere in Sweden on it's way as of this moment.


nice man I hope you like it... Manuel DeLanda is the real deal


No kidding. It's insane how clear as a writer he is. Like, how did someone get that out of Deleuze WHAT THE FUCK?




On November 17 2014 03:55 babylon wrote:
I read this, then thought, "You must be German."

Checked the location tag. Yup.

My BA thesis was so short (just a little over 20 pages) that I was worried I might've hit below the department's unstated minimum and that I wouldn't graduate that spring.

its 35 to 70 pages here. And I'm not sure its too german. I just like footnotes is all
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
November 16 2014 20:15 GMT
#1342
On November 17 2014 05:00 Surth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 03:55 babylon wrote:
I read this, then thought, "You must be German."

Checked the location tag. Yup.

My BA thesis was so short (just a little over 20 pages) that I was worried I might've hit below the department's unstated minimum and that I wouldn't graduate that spring.

its 35 to 70 pages here. And I'm not sure its too german. I just like footnotes is all

Said every German academic ever in my field.
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-16 22:48:45
November 16 2014 22:05 GMT
#1343
On November 17 2014 05:15 babylon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 05:00 Surth wrote:
On November 17 2014 03:55 babylon wrote:
I read this, then thought, "You must be German."

Checked the location tag. Yup.

My BA thesis was so short (just a little over 20 pages) that I was worried I might've hit below the department's unstated minimum and that I wouldn't graduate that spring.

its 35 to 70 pages here. And I'm not sure its too german. I just like footnotes is all

Said every German academic ever in my field.



But... but... How do you not use footnotes! They are amazing! They let me develop two arguments at once! The only thing that is more amazing is writing in two columns simultaneously!


...which I may or may not have done once for an assignment.





edit: Oh my god I've just read a BA thesis by someone else. it had 400 footnotes. I am SO HARMLESS in comparison!
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
batsnacks
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States4466 Posts
November 16 2014 22:23 GMT
#1344
[image loading]

It's not actually about a gun... One of my last PKD novels left to read.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 16 2014 23:59 GMT
#1345
^lol the zap gun
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
batsnacks
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States4466 Posts
November 17 2014 12:00 GMT
#1346
I'm pretty sure the publisher chose the title to appeal to science fiction readers in that time period. It has nothing to do with the book.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 17 2014 17:41 GMT
#1347
I know.. Ive read it twice
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
batsnacks
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States4466 Posts
November 17 2014 19:21 GMT
#1348
You have a favorite Dick book? Mine so far is Ubik.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 17 2014 19:48 GMT
#1349
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

but that's sort of a hard question
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
November 20 2014 02:27 GMT
#1350
Last year(I think) somebody mentioned a Borges-esque book in which the narrator is a critic reviewing a book(that the author invented) that basically contains all knowledge(I don't know if I made myself clear). I think the author's name sounded eastern european, but I'm not sure. Does anyone remember the name of the damn book? It has been bugging me for days.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
November 20 2014 02:29 GMT
#1351
On November 20 2014 11:27 dmnum wrote:
Last year(I think) somebody mentioned a Borges-esque book in which the narrator is a critic reviewing a book(that the author invented) that basically contains all knowledge(I don't know if I made myself clear). I think the author's name sounded eastern european, but I'm not sure. Does anyone remember the name of the damn book? It has been bugging me for days.


Maybe something by Lem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Lem's_fictitious_criticism_of_nonexisting_books
TranslatorBaa!
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-20 02:47:59
November 20 2014 02:44 GMT
#1352
On November 20 2014 11:29 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2014 11:27 dmnum wrote:
Last year(I think) somebody mentioned a Borges-esque book in which the narrator is a critic reviewing a book(that the author invented) that basically contains all knowledge(I don't know if I made myself clear). I think the author's name sounded eastern european, but I'm not sure. Does anyone remember the name of the damn book? It has been bugging me for days.


Maybe something by Lem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Lem's_fictitious_criticism_of_nonexisting_books
Yeah, I have been looking at his wikipedia for the last two days and I think I finally found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Perfect_Vacuum
Thanks Cheep,

Unfortunately I'm not finding the post I talked about, so I can't confirm whether or not it's the right book.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-20 03:18:12
November 20 2014 03:17 GMT
#1353
On November 20 2014 11:44 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2014 11:29 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On November 20 2014 11:27 dmnum wrote:
Last year(I think) somebody mentioned a Borges-esque book in which the narrator is a critic reviewing a book(that the author invented) that basically contains all knowledge(I don't know if I made myself clear). I think the author's name sounded eastern european, but I'm not sure. Does anyone remember the name of the damn book? It has been bugging me for days.


Maybe something by Lem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Lem's_fictitious_criticism_of_nonexisting_books
Yeah, I have been looking at his wikipedia for the last two days and I think I finally found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Perfect_Vacuum
Thanks Cheep,

Unfortunately I'm not finding the post I talked about, so I can't confirm whether or not it's the right book.


Probably because you're looking in the wrong thread.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tl-community/409406-the-team-liquid-book-club?page=2#32

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tl-community/409406-the-team-liquid-book-club?page=2#38
TranslatorBaa!
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2014 08:14 GMT
#1354
I so want to read this, but it's not translated in French I might pick it up in English anyway.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2014 08:42 GMT
#1355
So, update on my read list.
Finished :
The world as will and representation
Very readable, sometimes very smart, sometimes not that much. Art and ethics are his stronger suits imo, the art part having a lot to do with the works of a guy named Marcel^^

Les deux étendards
Some part are too didactic, the hero's ethos is annoying as hell, and don't tell me Rebatet's polotical opinions are nowhere to be found in this book. His opinion of humanity isn't an improvement upon Céline imo, and the nitzschean obsession... That being said it is magnificently written, psychologically very well seen, moving, and often very smart. Overall a very good book imo.

The brothers Karamazov
Everything has already been said, amazing. I'd put it slightly under The Idiot though.

Water Margin
Classic chinese novel, and it is amaaaaaaaaazing. Wu Soooong <3 Completely crazy, great rythm, varied and smart. Fuck the mandarins.

Dora Bruder (Patrick Modiano)
A very short read, as the book is 140 small pages, and is written in a very simple way. I'm sympathetic toward Modiano at the end of it, literature couldn't help him, yeah. Still very skipable.

Laws (Plato)
Not as funny as The Republic, though some laws are pretty lulzy. The goal of his laws is so at odd with the ideas modern jurists have it's often refreshing. Definitely not among my fav, now that I've read every dialogue.

Sculpting in Time (Andrei Tarkovski)
Reading the thoughts about cinema by one of the greatest director of all time was bound to be interesting, and I was not disappointed. Some people will be annoyed by what he says, but he is in a lot of ways quite modest, and knows his ideas are not the end of all.

Now reading :
Under the volcano (Malcom Lowry) and La distinction (Pierre Bourdieu).
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
November 20 2014 15:04 GMT
#1356
On November 20 2014 12:17 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2014 11:44 dmnum wrote:
On November 20 2014 11:29 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On November 20 2014 11:27 dmnum wrote:
Last year(I think) somebody mentioned a Borges-esque book in which the narrator is a critic reviewing a book(that the author invented) that basically contains all knowledge(I don't know if I made myself clear). I think the author's name sounded eastern european, but I'm not sure. Does anyone remember the name of the damn book? It has been bugging me for days.


Maybe something by Lem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Lem's_fictitious_criticism_of_nonexisting_books
Yeah, I have been looking at his wikipedia for the last two days and I think I finally found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Perfect_Vacuum
Thanks Cheep,

Unfortunately I'm not finding the post I talked about, so I can't confirm whether or not it's the right book.


Probably because you're looking in the wrong thread.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tl-community/409406-the-team-liquid-book-club?page=2#32

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tl-community/409406-the-team-liquid-book-club?page=2#38

Yeah, that's the post. Again, thanks a lot cheep.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
November 20 2014 16:35 GMT
#1357
On November 20 2014 17:42 corumjhaelen wrote:
Water Margin
Classic chinese novel, and it is amaaaaaaaaazing. Wu Soooong <3 Completely crazy, great rythm, varied and smart. Fuck the mandarins.


that looks cool
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2014 20:15 GMT
#1358
On November 21 2014 01:35 bookwyrm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2014 17:42 corumjhaelen wrote:
Water Margin
Classic chinese novel, and it is amaaaaaaaaazing. Wu Soooong <3 Completely crazy, great rythm, varied and smart. Fuck the mandarins.


that looks cool

I thought it was ! I'd say the Scholars might be a bit more your style. Anyway those two really made me want to dig more into chinese culture.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
November 20 2014 21:09 GMT
#1359
I wanted to check up on Water Margin. Its one of the four most important chinese novels and I cant buy it new on amazon! What a world we live in. Maybe I'll just download one of the many TV adaptations of it. reading books is for losers anyway, after all. :3
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
November 20 2014 21:20 GMT
#1360
On November 21 2014 06:09 Surth wrote:
I wanted to check up on Water Margin. Its one of the four most important chinese novels and I cant buy it new on amazon! What a world we live in. Maybe I'll just download one of the many TV adaptations of it. reading books is for losers anyway, after all. :3


Just listen to this instead it's basically like reading the book.



(This is the theme song to a popular TV adaptation of Water Margin. Extremely famous in China, everyone knows the tune lol)
TranslatorBaa!
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech6
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 401
Horang2 303
Larva 257
EffOrt 180
Mind 76
Hyun 62
scan(afreeca) 51
NotJumperer 42
Killer 40
Bale 38
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 37
Sharp 35
sorry 35
Shinee 22
Sacsri 13
Hm[arnc] 13
Pusan 13
Barracks 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto113
League of Legends
JimRising 422
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1223
edward147
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g8196
ceh9637
Happy366
crisheroes199
Sick156
dupreeh69
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick594
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2284
League of Legends
• Jankos1204
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
33m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 33m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 33m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.