• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:53
CEST 05:53
KST 12:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9207 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 38

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 165 Next
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
February 20 2013 23:00 GMT
#741
[image loading]

360 Degrees of Influence. Its an instructional book on personal goal settings, knowing your destination, how to achieve it by yourself and getting help along to boost your way up there. I think so far by flipping around, it contains some very sound advice on how to carry yourself in public in climbing that social ladder. Will certainly write a summary in about a week or so.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 00:15 GMT
#742
On February 21 2013 05:42 silynxer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2013 03:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On February 20 2013 02:06 silynxer wrote:
I can only urge everyone to read anthropology books. The variety of human societies is simply mind-boggling and it really helps you to put your own values in perspective. Also it's a good antidote for most arguments using human nature.


oh good, maybe you can help explain to these Dawkins kids that morality isn't reducible to evolution. they all seem to think that there's a natural human ethics which we're all born with, and any sort of "evil ideology" like "big bad religion" is just corrupting people away from their natural propensity to be good and get along.

edit: whoa that books sounds crazy

I'm afraid no. Once you have reached a certain stage of enlightenment you will not learn anything from "primitive cultures" whatsoever (just look at their life expectancy!)


"no" about what?

and to be honest buddy, I think that is a stage of enlightenment that neither you nor I has reached yet, if it exists. I don't see what life expectancy has to do with it.
shikata ga nai
silynxer
Profile Joined April 2006
Germany439 Posts
February 21 2013 08:16 GMT
#743
On February 21 2013 09:15 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2013 05:42 silynxer wrote:
On February 20 2013 03:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On February 20 2013 02:06 silynxer wrote:
I can only urge everyone to read anthropology books. The variety of human societies is simply mind-boggling and it really helps you to put your own values in perspective. Also it's a good antidote for most arguments using human nature.


oh good, maybe you can help explain to these Dawkins kids that morality isn't reducible to evolution. they all seem to think that there's a natural human ethics which we're all born with, and any sort of "evil ideology" like "big bad religion" is just corrupting people away from their natural propensity to be good and get along.

edit: whoa that books sounds crazy

I'm afraid no. Once you have reached a certain stage of enlightenment you will not learn anything from "primitive cultures" whatsoever (just look at their life expectancy!)


"no" about what?

and to be honest buddy, I think that is a stage of enlightenment that neither you nor I has reached yet, if it exists. I don't see what life expectancy has to do with it.

Urg, sarcasm translates badly (over the internet or into other languages). No about "maybe you can help...".
If you try to make any point by using tribal cultures in any discussion with people who have bought into progress they will always tell you about life expectancy (and variations of "famine is common", "do you want to die from a cold?" etc.) as if it invalidates everything we can learn from those cultures.
Even if your point is about very abstract terms like human nature it is dismissed along the lines of "we're past that".
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 08:17 GMT
#744
oh sorry man I'm a bit thick sometimes ^.^
shikata ga nai
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
February 21 2013 08:54 GMT
#745
I've just finished by non-fiction and fiction books.

The Four Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss was really interesting all around and I may well use some of what's in the book. It's a good look at self-experimentation more than anything else. Some fun facts about nutrition in there and how to learn. The super scientific fan may want to ignore.

The Shadow of the Soul by Sarah Pinborough was almost exactly as I thought it'd be. It's good fun and ends on a clear cliff-hanger. For a trilogy, this second book still seems to still be an introduction which can bug some people. Essentially, nothing gets resolved, you just learn more about what's going on.

For non-fiction, I'm reading How to be Free by Tom Hodgkinson which I bought about seven years ago. It's essentially a simple philosophy book about how to stop worrying, stop consuming and so on. It's interesting so far and I can see myself applying some of what's in here.

For fiction, I've got The Lies of Locke Lamora as recommended by this thread (I've forgotten the author). Excited to start it as the last recommendations from this thread have been great.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
lundell100
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden232 Posts
February 21 2013 09:56 GMT
#746
Currently reading:

'IT' by Stephen King

'Neverwhere' by Neil Gaiman

'A Feast for Crows' by George R. R. Martin

Next book will probably be:

'The Talisman' by Stephen King,

'A Dance with Dragons' by George R. R. Martin
Blurio
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany288 Posts
February 21 2013 10:38 GMT
#747
I'm trying to read a book a week this year.
So far i got:
1. The Dark Tower 1 by Steven King
2. The Dark Tower 2 by Steven King
3. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
6. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
7. The Dark Tower 3 by Steven King
8. and what i am reading this week: The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Next up after that will probably some more Dark Tower.
I made a break after the second cause i had my finals in university and can't read a 500 page book while learning. The books up to the seventh are only about 150 pages :D
Corak
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany188 Posts
February 21 2013 10:39 GMT
#748
I just finished Tad William's Shadowplay (Shadowmarch #2). The stroy is picking up speed in this one but I am still not really comfortable with how slow it is told. So I'll make a pause before part 3 & 4.

Reading now: The Women Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde.
Love the Thursday Next series! Funny and greatly entertaining.
If you like books read this! It is set in a world where literarure is king. And lots of other wired stuff is going on!
First one is "The Eyre Affair".
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Also reading: Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley.
Flaviar de Luce is a almost 12 year old witty girl that loves chemistry and stumbels into murder cases.
I love how it is written. Flaviar is super intelligent but then completely misreads a situation because she is 11 years old. Very entertaining read.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Next up:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 21 2013 10:48 GMT
#749
On February 21 2013 19:39 Corak wrote:
I just finished Tad William's Shadowplay (Shadowmarch #2). The stroy is picking up speed in this one but I am still not really comfortable with how slow it is told. So I'll make a pause before part 3 & 4.

Reading now: The Women Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde.
Love the Thursday Next series! Funny and greatly entertaining.
If you like books read this! It is set in a world where literarure is king. And lots of other wired stuff is going on!
First one is "The Eyre Affair".
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Also reading: Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley.
Flaviar de Luce is a almost 12 year old witty girl that loves chemistry and stumbels into murder cases.
I love how it is written. Flaviar is super intelligent but then completely misreads a situation because she is 11 years old. Very entertaining read.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Next up:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I had the same problem with Shadowmarch. I finished book 3 and it didn't get any better so I never read book 4. I was at the point where I didn't care about any of the characters or the story. It was so slow and so draining. Also it was a bit to much magic and fantasy for me. I prefer the dark gritty realistic fantasy kinda stuff
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Topin
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Peru10128 Posts
February 21 2013 15:10 GMT
#750
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st
i would define my style between a mix of ByuN, Maru and MKP
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
February 21 2013 15:22 GMT
#751
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st

Just read it
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
February 21 2013 15:27 GMT
#752
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st

It's really good.
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
February 21 2013 17:12 GMT
#753
by the way, quite a few free books books books (including the great gatsby, since someone just asked):

http://www.planetebook.com/
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
packrat386
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States5077 Posts
February 21 2013 17:30 GMT
#754
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 08 2013 15:04 packrat386 wrote:
Just Finished:
[image loading]

I thought the poetry was really beautiful. Apparently tolkein discarded the works to write LotR (since the general public wanted more action) and I find that really tragic.

I'm in the middle of:
[image loading]


which is a really amazing book. As the author walks you through, you essentially start from batteries, wires, and electromagnets, and you end up building an entire computer. Its really crazy and I can't wait to finish it.


Just finished
[image loading]


And I must say its one of the best books I've ever read. I'm now going to go back to reading
[image loading]

which I was about halfway through when I inexplicably stopped it. Its a very interesting book about how the practice of wargaming has developed from its inception in the 1950s to the time the book was written (I believe '85). Its a bit dated, but still a pretty insightful look at how predictions and foreign policy go hand in hand.
dreaming of a sunny day
packrat386
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States5077 Posts
February 21 2013 17:33 GMT
#755
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st


The Great Gatsby is a really good classic book. Its the kind of thing you would likely read in english class, but it does have a well formed story and a few really cool twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.
dreaming of a sunny day
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 21 2013 17:43 GMT
#756
On February 22 2013 02:33 packrat386 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st


The Great Gatsby is a really good classic book. Its the kind of thing you would likely read in english class, but it does have a well formed story and a few really cool twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.

What is that but about ? oO
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 18:21:54
February 21 2013 18:19 GMT
#757
Just finished The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark. This is a really overlooked classic, it's brilliant, so vivid and so good at capturing human interaction and also by far the most compelling portrait of the American west I've gotten.

Starting for real this time A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. My version isn't annotated, not sure whether I'll need that or not. Or I'll just have to sit by a dictionary.

Also I've been reading The Russians by Hedrick Smith as bathroom reading a couple pages at a time. Very interesting. Especially since I've gotten really into The Americans on FX.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
February 21 2013 18:20 GMT
#758
On February 22 2013 02:43 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 02:33 packrat386 wrote:
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st


The Great Gatsby is a really good classic book. Its the kind of thing you would likely read in english class, but it does have a well formed story and a few really cool twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.

What is that but about ? oO

Many people believe that books read in English classes = boring, dense, not well-written, etc.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 18:20 GMT
#759
On February 22 2013 02:43 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 02:33 packrat386 wrote:
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st


The Great Gatsby is a really good classic book. Its the kind of thing you would likely read in english class, but it does have a well formed story and a few really cool twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.

What is that but about ? oO


you would normally assume that if you read it in english class, it isn't very good
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 18:26:02
February 21 2013 18:25 GMT
#760
On February 22 2013 03:20 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 02:43 corumjhaelen wrote:
On February 22 2013 02:33 packrat386 wrote:
On February 22 2013 00:10 Topin wrote:
what you guys think about "The great Gatsby" i want to read this but i would like some comments 1st


The Great Gatsby is a really good classic book. Its the kind of thing you would likely read in english class, but it does have a well formed story and a few really cool twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.

What is that but about ? oO


you would normally assume that if you read it in english class, it isn't very good

It seems really strange to me oO I mean I've been asked to read not that great books in French class at the beginning of middle school, but later the quality of what we read was simply outstanding. I mean the only book I've been asked to read in high school and disliked was the first book of Rousseau's Confessions, which is pretty telling I think.
What in the hell do they make you read ?
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings118
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 247
NeuroSwarm 180
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 189
hero 47
Terrorterran 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1135
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Counter-Strike
taco 455
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King156
hungrybox112
Other Games
summit1g9181
Maynarde206
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick418
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 157
• practicex 15
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo981
• Rush858
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 7m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 7m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.