• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:20
CEST 02:20
KST 09:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10108 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 39

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 165 Next
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 18:36 GMT
#761
The books that you read in english class are not very good, because good books are dangerous, and they don't want you reading dangerous books (and they can't really have any sex or drugs in them, which makes it hard to pick books). they also have to cater to a lowest-common denominator (we are not a very literate society, kids will complain if they have to read more than a handful of pages for one assignment).

I never much liked anything I read in school, just the books I read outside of school.
shikata ga nai
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
February 21 2013 18:41 GMT
#762
Personally, i think the act of reading it for school ruins it, but the quality of what is being read itself can be pretty high, or pretty low, depending on the year and teacher i guess. For example, we read leutnant gustl (pretty good), iphigenia on tauris (pretty shitty) and buddenbrooks (okayish i guess) in german class. sometimes you luck out and sometimes you have to read utter shit.
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 18:48 GMT
#763
I think it's sort of a vicious cycle, where kids can't read, so you can't assign good books, and then the kids read shitty books, so they never want to learn to read.

I had reading modeled for me at home from a young age, so for me that was what adults did: they read a lot of books. obviously most families are not like this
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 18:52:59
February 21 2013 18:49 GMT
#764
that sucks.
Things I've read in French class :
The Martian Chronicles
LoTR
La Princesse de Clèves (which included 2 hours of explanation of a scene which has a pretty interesting sexual signification), La Curée by Zola (I believe it's his best work and the pitch is... interesting. basically a bored high society girl living among rich perverts sexually dominates her son-in-law out of boredom...)
Ondine by Giraudoux,
Journey to the Night's End (that's a dangerous book if I ever read one)
If This Is a Man
Electra by Giraudoux (in this modern readaptation of the play, Electra is histerically in love with Orestes and fantasises on his ears)
Les Fleurs du Mal (that's some pretty dangerous poetry right there)

Balzac, Flaubert and Racine are often read in good classes, and there is a lot of Molière read too, but usually his bad plays.
The only sad thing is that we never read Shakespeare. Sucks really hard
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 18:51 GMT
#765
Well, I dislike shakespeare, so I don't feel like you're missing out

that's a nice list though. I'm sure French education is quite superior to ours in many ways. We don't really have any kind of humanities curriculum in our school - just multiculturalism brainwashing.
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 19:01:04
February 21 2013 18:54 GMT
#766
On February 22 2013 03:51 sam!zdat wrote:
Well, I dislike shakespeare, so I don't feel like you're missing out

that's a nice list though. I'm sure French education is quite superior to ours in many ways. We don't really have any kind of humanities curriculum in our school - just multiculturalism brainwashing.

Tsss, Hamlet too good. I love Shakespeare, but I had to read it outside of class.
I was raised in a wealthy area though, I'm pretty sure in poorer places they have trouble making children read anything :/
Edit : and we have a Philosophy class in high school, which is a pretty good idea I think.
Edit 2 : I also read The Trial because it was required reading for the literrary curriculum of my year. And teachers usually made you read a bit of Pascal and Montaigne during your scolarity. Far from perfect, but i'm happy with that in a way.
Also I had a scientific cursus in which I was required to read Don Quixote, Proust, Marx, Chateaubriand, Augustine of Hippo...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 19:01 GMT
#767
I think they should start philosophy in middle school, with Plato. I have all kinds of crackpot theories about how education should work, though, so maybe we won't get sam started
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 21 2013 19:05 GMT
#768
That's a fascinating subject but I'm afraid that would be derailing the thread^^
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 20:33:30
February 21 2013 20:33 GMT
#769
On February 22 2013 03:36 sam!zdat wrote:
The books that you read in english class are not very good, because good books are dangerous, and they don't want you reading dangerous books (and they can't really have any sex or drugs in them, which makes it hard to pick books). they also have to cater to a lowest-common denominator (we are not a very literate society, kids will complain if they have to read more than a handful of pages for one assignment).

I never much liked anything I read in school, just the books I read outside of school.


IMO you can't be in denial about where the non-advanced kids are, I really think they should be reading stuff that at least gets them excited about reading, and I think you can teach English just as well from it (actually better since it doesn't alienate them and go over their heads). Popular literature, stuff like The Hunger Games. They can actually get into discussions on their level about theme, imagery, characterization, all of it. And you can even point out or develop ideas of where there is strong writing vs. weak writing using contrast (which is really absent in class). Then maybe if they build more enjoyment of reading, they have kids that start reading earlier, if we think long term like that, which is the only term in which anything could change anyway.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 20:42 GMT
#770
Yeah, I agree totally, but I think you can probably do better than the Hunger Games. I developed my love of literature from reading science fiction and trashy fantasy, I believe in that wholeheartedly. Should have kids read Tolkien, LeGuin, Dick, Asimov, stuff like that.

Like everything, though, if parents don't read, kids won't read. I think it might really be as simple as that, for the most part. Giving kids video games to play with doesn't help.
shikata ga nai
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
February 21 2013 20:55 GMT
#771
On February 22 2013 03:36 sam!zdat wrote:
The books that you read in english class are not very good, because good books are dangerous, and they don't want you reading dangerous books (and they can't really have any sex or drugs in them, which makes it hard to pick books). they also have to cater to a lowest-common denominator (we are not a very literate society, kids will complain if they have to read more than a handful of pages for one assignment).

I never much liked anything I read in school, just the books I read outside of school.


I'm not exactly sure where that thought of yours came about but in my High School English classes, we had some great English literature books to be discussed.

We read stuff like Catcher in the Rye, a book about a runaway teenagers which contained prostitution and the boy drinking an unusual amount of alcohol. Then there was A Streetcar Named Desire, powerful man getting the best of the women that he come around sexually and physically abused his wife. Despite these, he still emerged as a winner in the finale. There was Hunger Games which you can argue about rebellion and such. The last I remembered reading then was actually Mein Kampf, which I suppose is very known work by Hitler.

Personally I think those are very well written and contain many violent acts that excited me a lot. It must have been your school(s) then.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Lokj
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands439 Posts
February 21 2013 21:19 GMT
#772
On February 22 2013 05:55 Xiphos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 03:36 sam!zdat wrote:
The books that you read in english class are not very good, because good books are dangerous, and they don't want you reading dangerous books (and they can't really have any sex or drugs in them, which makes it hard to pick books). they also have to cater to a lowest-common denominator (we are not a very literate society, kids will complain if they have to read more than a handful of pages for one assignment).

I never much liked anything I read in school, just the books I read outside of school.


I'm not exactly sure where that thought of yours came about but in my High School English classes, we had some great English literature books to be discussed.

We read stuff like Catcher in the Rye, a book about a runaway teenagers which contained prostitution and the boy drinking an unusual amount of alcohol. Then there was A Streetcar Named Desire, powerful man getting the best of the women that he come around sexually and physically abused his wife. Despite these, he still emerged as a winner in the finale. There was Hunger Games which you can argue about rebellion and such. The last I remembered reading then was actually Mein Kampf, which I suppose is very known work by Hitler.

Personally I think those are very well written and contain many violent acts that excited me a lot. It must have been your school(s) then.


Mein Kampf discussed in a class about English literature? What? Besides being a German book, i've also heard it's not well written, but just interesting to read because it's written by Hitler. Sorry for derailing the thread
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 21:24:26
February 21 2013 21:21 GMT
#773
yeah I imagine that I will never bother to read Mein Kampf. I think I can do without.

edit: anyone ever read DeLillo's White Noise, though? this makes me think of "hitler studies"
shikata ga nai
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 21:28:09
February 21 2013 21:27 GMT
#774
So far this year I've read:
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
By Blood by Ellen Ullman

Yesterday I bought The Windup Bird Chronicles by Murakami and Moby Dick.

Also, has anyone read Mo Yan? He won the Nobel for literature last year and perusing his book "Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out" tempted me to pick it up. Also up for any good mystery (particularly murder) or sci-fi recommendations if anything good has come out in the last few years.
RIP Aaliyah
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 21 2013 21:29 GMT
#775
On February 22 2013 06:27 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
sci-fi recommendations if anything good has come out in the last few years.


I'd recommend China Mieville's two newer books, The City & The City and Embassytown
shikata ga nai
ngri
Profile Joined October 2010
Luxembourg136 Posts
February 21 2013 21:31 GMT
#776
I'm currently reading Black Swan Green, 'bout 1/3s through.. Love it so far. David Mitchell is so good.
[image loading]
skzlime
Profile Joined July 2005
Hungary462 Posts
February 21 2013 21:39 GMT
#777
On February 22 2013 06:27 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Also up for any good mystery (particularly murder) or sci-fi recommendations if anything good has come out in the last few years.

In case you haven't read it yet, Black Man by Richard Morgan is exactly what you're looking for.
life is balanced, L2P
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 22:08:33
February 21 2013 21:58 GMT
#778
[image loading]

edit: "it would be crazy to sell the sidewalks; it would be crazy to nationalize GM" lessig, writing in 2001... LOLOLOLOLOLOL
shikata ga nai
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
February 21 2013 22:08 GMT
#779
That book seems pretty cool, samz. How's it so far?

Currently reading Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
February 21 2013 22:24 GMT
#780
I need a new epic story to read. I don't care if it is fantasy, sci-fi, or whatever. I'd prefer something relatively contemporary. I just plowed through the Malazan series (decent enough) and am current on A Song of Ice and Fire (I have a love-hate relationship with this series), so you don't need to mention those.

Any suggestions?
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings36
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta32
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 141
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11014
Artosis 839
White-Ra 131
Dota 2
monkeys_forever771
League of Legends
Doublelift6441
JimRising 634
Counter-Strike
fl0m17690
minikerr0
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox859
AZ_Axe163
Other Games
summit1g9001
KnowMe244
Maynarde187
ArmadaUGS84
Mew2King40
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
BasetradeTV178
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 10
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 69
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 40m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 40m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 40m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.