• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:59
CEST 21:59
KST 04:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6979 users

Hardcore and why you should play it - Dec2012 - Page 2

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
lordvnm
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany45 Posts
December 16 2012 17:41 GMT
#21
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.
"Rock is op. Paper is fine." - Scissors
eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
December 16 2012 19:16 GMT
#22
On December 16 2012 23:34 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 16 2012 17:47 haffy wrote:
I don't think DH is the hardest class in HC. I've got a para 26 DH and para 9 or 10 monk, and I've come closer to dying on my monk. Being at range all the time is much easier to play in my opinion. Saying that though, I think getting to 60 as a DH is pretty hard compared to other classes I've played.

I haven't personally played DH, but I've played wiz and seen some DHs. You have to pay much more attention / be more aware... also DH has no way to get out of wallers except leech/smokescreen and pray they live long enough. Basically, with DH you have to be very situationally aware and have fast reactions because you can go down very quickly.


I can agree with both these sentiments. On my Demon Hunter (paragon 11), I feel like I needed to learn exactly what kinds of things were dangerous, and it's not something you can easily describe. I'm at a point where my EHP means nothing's going to kill me "just" by hitting me, but every elite pack, I have to pay attention and evaluate if there's something bad that *could* happen given the affix combination I'm facing. Usually it amounts to something like 2 CC affixes (Waller/Jailer, Frozen/Knockback etc.) and 2 big DPS affixes, along with some kind of a stronger than average base mob. You can go hours of playtime not facing a pack like that, but when it comes along you have to recognize very quickly that it's more dangerous than the dozens (or hundreds, or thousands!) of other elite packs you've fought.

Of course, before you're 60 and stacking AR/Vit/Life% etc, a whole lot of careless mistakes can kill you. I wouldn't go past level 25 at the highest without switching to a shield personally, and you have to be somewhat disciplined about always keeping your spec defensively focused. The thing I really learned the hard way is that the danger of a situation can escalate very, very quickly, so the moment you're in a situation where you're being reduced even below half HP, you should probably re-evaluate and step down the MP, buy/farm some upgrades, or just take a break for a bit. Continuing on out of those kinds of situations might be safe 90% of the time, but all it takes is one death.
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-16 20:20:29
December 16 2012 20:20 GMT
#23
should u play lower difficulties on MP1 or MP2, or isnt it worth it?
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
December 16 2012 20:36 GMT
#24
On December 17 2012 02:21 OFCORPSE wrote:
What class would you recommend someone who random disconnects atleast twice a day?

....

Barb and stack some life regen.

To be honest though, if you have unstable internet, you should probably not play hc. :p
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
December 16 2012 20:37 GMT
#25
On December 17 2012 02:41 lordvnm wrote:
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.

That is your opinion and some people find the risk worth it, it certainly has made diablo much more fun to me even though I lost my wizard at paragon 20 right after I got the gear for CM spec to a disconnect!
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
December 16 2012 20:47 GMT
#26
I lost my 60(5) HC barb. I have a friend with a ~50 monk. Is there some good way to get him to powerlevel me?
lordvnm
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany45 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-16 21:02:10
December 16 2012 21:00 GMT
#27
On December 17 2012 05:37 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2012 02:41 lordvnm wrote:
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.

That is your opinion and some people find the risk worth it, it certainly has made diablo much more fun to me even though I lost my wizard at paragon 20 right after I got the gear for CM spec to a disconnect!


HC itself makes it more fun indeed. But the way you said it, it sounds like disconnects and the fact that you can randomly lose your char without any fault should be part of HC mode. I find that hard to accept; although it's nice for you, 'cause you won't rage as hard as I would in that case :>

By the way: WD level 46 and still alive. yay.
"Rock is op. Paper is fine." - Scissors
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
December 16 2012 21:05 GMT
#28
On December 17 2012 06:00 lordvnm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2012 05:37 Pokebunny wrote:
On December 17 2012 02:41 lordvnm wrote:
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.

That is your opinion and some people find the risk worth it, it certainly has made diablo much more fun to me even though I lost my wizard at paragon 20 right after I got the gear for CM spec to a disconnect!


HC itself makes it more fun indeed. But the way you said it, it sounds like disconnects and the fact that you can randomly lose your char without any fault should be part of HC mode. I find that hard to accept; although it's nice for you, 'cause you won't rage as hard as I would in that case :>

By the way: WD level 46 and still alive. yay.

Well, you simply have to accept that every one of your characters will eventually die if you play it enough. If that makes it impossible for you to enjoy the game then HC might not be for you.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-16 21:15:10
December 16 2012 21:12 GMT
#29
On December 17 2012 05:20 KalWarkov wrote:
should u play lower difficulties on MP1 or MP2, or isnt it worth it?


Honestly if you have some gold/gear from previous characters, you can afford to go through normal on just about any MP, and it is absolutely worth it. You will end up outlevelling the intended zones by a good margin, which translates to even higher level gear. To an extent, you end up levelling at about the same speed at a certain point, where the bonus XP just makes up for the loss of XP from being in lower level zones, but at that point, you're fighting mobs with more HP and less damage than the ones you'd normally be fighting - if you'd gone MP 0 the whole way. And we all know what less damage means!
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
Eurekastreet
Profile Joined November 2010
1308 Posts
December 16 2012 21:16 GMT
#30
On December 17 2012 05:37 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2012 02:41 lordvnm wrote:
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.

That is your opinion and some people find the risk worth it, it certainly has made diablo much more fun to me even though I lost my wizard at paragon 20 right after I got the gear for CM spec to a disconnect!



I'd agree with the "don't play HC" guy. My regular char is a paragon 72 monk - which means I played this game too much obviously (and still it ain't enough) - but at this point, even though you can still see your char progressing in stats and gear thanks to some lucky legendaries dropping, the game's lvling is going pretty slow.
Last week I played HC for the first time for a change, just going for the challenge of it all and also for the achievements (level 60, defeat diablo in inferno, etc). I spent 2 days leveling up to about to lvl 40 or some and blizzard decided I should disconnect and die. I went to Blizz forums and (I should have done before) read that there's nothing you can do about this, mail them all you want, they seem not to care about it, once you're dead, you're dead. I understand they do this to avoid having guys unplugging when they're about to die, and start afresh....anyone with a genuine disconnect gone bad pay for their behaviour.
It's not so much about the time I've lost (one could argue gaming always is), but I can't play with the peeps I was playing with anymore (unless they restart a character with me), and the idea that I could spend 5-6 days to reach lvl 59 or be about to fight diablo in inferno when blizz hits me with another random disconnect is a final no-go for me right now. Thank god I'm a calm person because it'd upset me bad. It's sad because HC makes the game quite fun and very different from the normal gameplay, but those random disconnects make it all pointless. The day they fix it, I'll get back to it.
I got a pretty stable internet (no other game ever dropped in the past 12 months), so I don't know what went wrong, but whatever it is, there should be solutions around that kind of problems.
Just my two cents, if losing it all doesn't matter to you, and you just enjoy the "challenge" and don't care about leveling and achievements etc, then playing it hardcore is probably the funniest way to play the game (some argue that real hardcore is playing without ever using the auction house, which probably makes it much much harder and stressing, I might try it someday too, and pray no banelings hide behind dungeon corners)

"2 cannons, it's not one cannons" - White-Ra
lordvnm
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany45 Posts
December 16 2012 21:40 GMT
#31
On December 17 2012 06:05 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2012 06:00 lordvnm wrote:
On December 17 2012 05:37 Pokebunny wrote:
On December 17 2012 02:41 lordvnm wrote:
I'd say: don't play HC. It's bad enough if you die and it's your fault 'cause you fucked up or wanted to rush through the act or whatever. But if you die random 'cause the game or your connection crashes and you can't do anything about it? Totally different story.

That is your opinion and some people find the risk worth it, it certainly has made diablo much more fun to me even though I lost my wizard at paragon 20 right after I got the gear for CM spec to a disconnect!


HC itself makes it more fun indeed. But the way you said it, it sounds like disconnects and the fact that you can randomly lose your char without any fault should be part of HC mode. I find that hard to accept; although it's nice for you, 'cause you won't rage as hard as I would in that case :>

By the way: WD level 46 and still alive. yay.

Well, you simply have to accept that every one of your characters will eventually die if you play it enough. If that makes it impossible for you to enjoy the game then HC might not be for you.


That wasn't the point and quite apart from that I very well accept that fact and I do enjoy playing HC. I just think that OFCORPSE shouldn't ignore the fact, that his char can die without a chance if he can't fix his connection, no matter what class he chooses. That's basically what you told him a few posts earlier. So let's just leave it at that.
"Rock is op. Paper is fine." - Scissors
Sindriss
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark263 Posts
December 18 2012 10:45 GMT
#32
If you are two decent players, what MP can you level at without high risks?
Ektor Baboden
Profile Joined May 2012
68 Posts
December 18 2012 11:45 GMT
#33
I play exclusively alone and I did MP5 up until Hell. In Hell, I played at MP3 and finished it that way.
Inferno, obviously you have to start from MP0.

I was pretty safe all the time. Obviously I always keep some defensive skills for the "oh shit" moments, even in Normal.
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
December 18 2012 11:56 GMT
#34
Inspires me to play Diablo 3.
Awesome.
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
haffy
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom430 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-18 12:13:56
December 18 2012 12:13 GMT
#35
How hard is it to get a hellfire ring? I haven't got a SC character, so I've got no idea what to expect. Is this sort of gear good enough?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/haffy-2746/hero/22610597

I'd probably prefer to put some of my DH gear on my monk and do it on that because I don't mind it dying.
frd
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France164 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-18 12:31:25
December 18 2012 12:20 GMT
#36
Well, that blows. I just lost a 60(13) DH to the fire grates in the Keep, and I'm 90% sure I was victim of lag. I was at full health and stepped onto the grate for just a second and my HP went from full to none in a second, even though I had time to press Smoke Screen in between ticks.

Just a few seconds earlier, I was on fiery grates but took no damage, which I thought meant I hit the flames on the last frame, or somesuch. It's too bad too, the DH was a nice vacation from the Barbarian. I'm a bit miffed about losing two Perfect Star Emeralds.

P.S.: if there's a good soul with a bit of time to kill who's willing to give me a boost with the next DH, my battletag is frd#2904 (EUHC).
KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
December 18 2012 14:20 GMT
#37
On December 18 2012 21:20 frd wrote:
Well, that blows. I just lost a 60(13) DH to the fire grates in the Keep, and I'm 90% sure I was victim of lag. I was at full health and stepped onto the grate for just a second and my HP went from full to none in a second, even though I had time to press Smoke Screen in between ticks.

Just a few seconds earlier, I was on fiery grates but took no damage, which I thought meant I hit the flames on the last frame, or somesuch. It's too bad too, the DH was a nice vacation from the Barbarian. I'm a bit miffed about losing two Perfect Star Emeralds.

P.S.: if there's a good soul with a bit of time to kill who's willing to give me a boost with the next DH, my battletag is frd#2904 (EUHC).


isnt the joy of HC the progression?
boosting in HC seems so senseless to me :/
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
scDeluX
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada1341 Posts
December 18 2012 14:44 GMT
#38
I stopped D3 for a while but my HC has the 6 prop glove crafting recipe learned, I wonder if it could be useful for one of you.
Brood War is forever
frd
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France164 Posts
December 18 2012 15:22 GMT
#39
On December 18 2012 23:20 KalWarkov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2012 21:20 frd wrote:
Well, that blows. I just lost a 60(13) DH to the fire grates in the Keep, and I'm 90% sure I was victim of lag. I was at full health and stepped onto the grate for just a second and my HP went from full to none in a second, even though I had time to press Smoke Screen in between ticks.

Just a few seconds earlier, I was on fiery grates but took no damage, which I thought meant I hit the flames on the last frame, or somesuch. It's too bad too, the DH was a nice vacation from the Barbarian. I'm a bit miffed about losing two Perfect Star Emeralds.

P.S.: if there's a good soul with a bit of time to kill who's willing to give me a boost with the next DH, my battletag is frd#2904 (EUHC).


isnt the joy of HC the progression?
boosting in HC seems so senseless to me :/

Well, for me, the game starts at 60 (and it's not like I wonder if I can make it to 60 at this point). Everything before it is just tedium.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-18 15:43:41
December 18 2012 15:42 GMT
#40
On December 18 2012 23:20 KalWarkov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2012 21:20 frd wrote:
Well, that blows. I just lost a 60(13) DH to the fire grates in the Keep, and I'm 90% sure I was victim of lag. I was at full health and stepped onto the grate for just a second and my HP went from full to none in a second, even though I had time to press Smoke Screen in between ticks.

Just a few seconds earlier, I was on fiery grates but took no damage, which I thought meant I hit the flames on the last frame, or somesuch. It's too bad too, the DH was a nice vacation from the Barbarian. I'm a bit miffed about losing two Perfect Star Emeralds.

P.S.: if there's a good soul with a bit of time to kill who's willing to give me a boost with the next DH, my battletag is frd#2904 (EUHC).


isnt the joy of HC the progression?
boosting in HC seems so senseless to me :/

For me, I level each class legitimately once, and then powerlevel any char back that dies at 60.

Also, running over fire grates for any reason ever is stupid lol.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 14h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 177
Nina 64
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15968
Calm 2264
Mini 163
Rush 107
EffOrt 93
Trap 22
scan(afreeca) 16
Bale 15
Dota 2
febbydoto14
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m5524
pashabiceps716
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3752
Liquid`Hasu669
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1872
RotterdaM706
Beastyqt694
B2W.Neo560
C9.Mang0270
shahzam187
crisheroes161
QueenE100
Trikslyr97
Dewaltoss64
UpATreeSC58
ZombieGrub39
JuggernautJason26
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
Other Games
Algost 5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 31
• Michael_bg 15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade864
Other Games
• imaqtpie967
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
14h 2m
INu's Battles
15h 2m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
17h 2m
OSC
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 3h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.