• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:55
CEST 08:55
KST 15:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6326 users

SPL Casters (SNM/Whiplash) Appreciation/Criticism - Page 9

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 24 Next All
Nazca
Profile Joined January 2013
France42 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-21 08:48:07
January 21 2013 08:24 GMT
#161
Nice thread . I only watch the vods from twitch but here's my opinion.

I think Whiplash is decent as one can feel he has at least some knowledge of the game and doesn't state things when he's unsure. The only thing he is lacking imo is the energy to make it lively when a fight occurs. I have barely ever heard him commentate a fight.

I think it is partially due to SNM's presence. I don't know this guy personnally but I strongly feel, through his casts, that he is trying (too ?) hard to justify his presence. Maybe it is in response to the community throwing so much at him in the beginning, idk. I can hear his stammering has improved, but he himself hasn't. He tries to predict who's gonna win a fight way before it is even possible to say it. This huge default ends up in really really long and horribly annoying sentences like, for example (see JD vs. Soulkey on Neo Caldeum from 2 days ago) :

"It seems like JD has more roaches however Soulkey has a better concave however it looks like JD's fungal will make the difference, however Soulkey has an advantage in upgrades however JD's reinforcements come faster"

or something along those lines..... Ten thousand "however" later I was relieved the fight was over.

So if SNM is watching this thread, please stop trying so hard to do something that you're obviously not meant for. I don't necessarily mean the whole casting thing, I mean the casting a fight thing. I think most people would appreciate by far a fight where the commentators may not be super lively but at least they're not annoying. Like one the guys above said, go back to the basics, describe what's happening, talk about what you know for a fact and for everyone's peace stop trying to analyse stuff that you obviously have little understanding of.

To Whiplash now, I want to say that he's actually nice to listen to. His voice reminds me a bit of Husky's, and I feel this guy has a huge potential to becoming a nice caster. But atm SNM is taking way too much space for Whiplash to be able to reveal himself completely. I think it's too bad. I feel Whiplash could cast very nicely with someone like MrBitter for example, or at least I would like to see that.


EDIT : I do realise that the guys are not IN the game and can't give informations aside what the observer shows them. I think that must add quite a lot to their discomfort and I am clearly willing to give them credit and time to improve. I do feel, however, that SNM has sooooooooo much road ahead of him, both on the pronunciation and the analysis, that he could as well just drop it. Sorry.
BlackPanther
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States872 Posts
January 21 2013 08:25 GMT
#162
Whiplash is decent. He has a very nice speaking voice and knows a decent amount of meta / game knowledge. II think he'll improve to be a solid caster over time. SNM is the problem. He has a very poor casting voice (the lisp) and he doesn't analyze things correctly at all (not going to spell out everything he got wrong because that would take me a while). The small talk between him and Whiplash is cringe worthy at times because SNM seems a bit thick headed to some of Whiplashes comments / jokes.

Whiplash: 5/10 - Average caster but I can stand him as long as hes improving.
SNM: 1/10 - Shouldn't be a caster and I don't see hope for him. Hes just annoying to hear speak.
dani`
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands2402 Posts
January 21 2013 08:25 GMT
#163
I don't really have a strong opinion regarding casters usually, but one of these two guys has an extremely annoying voice. It kinda sounds like he has some kind of speech impediment. Now if that's true I feel sorry for the guy and I'm not here to bash him, but I would say it's a poor career choice to become a caster when you have a voice like that I know he cannot do much about it but then just don't be a caster. I'm not tall, I don't try to become a basketball pro.
FakePseudo
Profile Joined January 2012
Belgium716 Posts
January 21 2013 08:30 GMT
#164
I'm not very into caster bashing, but they happened to call players names several times. That's end of the story for me. Not to mention that nine times out of ten where they said that the player was playing bad, without any valid circumstantial argumentation, the player actually ended up winning, eg: Calling Jaehoon Failhoon two minutes before he closed up the game.
I am the 0.0007% /forum/viewpost.php?post_id=17208334|| Big Black Women Vocals Is Like Porn to my Ears ||San Antonio Spurs|Boston Celtics||#1EZToss Hater;
Dirkinity
Profile Joined November 2012
Germany409 Posts
January 21 2013 08:33 GMT
#165
Its not that bad as people make it out ot be. I have no problem watching it, the commentary is pretty solid. SMNs voice is kinda wirred, but its not like unwatchable.
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
January 21 2013 08:35 GMT
#166
Only thing I'm still not happy with currently is the names. So many times either switching the player's names, or calling one player by another player's name.

Otherwise, improvements are being made.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
icydergosu
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
528 Posts
January 21 2013 08:40 GMT
#167
I like them both.
I am the Punishment of God. If you had not commited great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
zionsc
Profile Joined December 2008
United States26 Posts
January 21 2013 08:41 GMT
#168
At first, I pretty much didn't like them very much. But, after a while, I think they pretty much grew on me and I started to like them a lot better. Pretty much, they roasted my old opinion of them and now that is toast. Pretty much my only criticism of them is pretty much to avoid pretty much reusing the same filler words pretty much. Pretty much too many pretty much extra roasted pretty much words completely pretty much too toast I pretty roast totally pretty sure much toast.

No, but seriously, if you guys are reading this, I want you to know that I think you're improving and you'll be fine if you just speak carefully and avoid the filler words. Nothing says "novice caster" like falling into the same phrases over and over. Other than that, I really have nothing to gripe about.
tomatriedes
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
New Zealand5356 Posts
January 21 2013 08:41 GMT
#169
On January 21 2013 17:20 laegoose wrote:
Can somebody post a link to the Korean stream please?

On topic: SNM's pronounciation is what bothers me most. Whiplash's speech is pleasure to listen. In my opinion, Whiplash solo commentating would be much better.


Team Liquid is not allowed to post the link to the Korean stream anymore on OGN's orders apparently.
Prevolved
Profile Joined March 2011
United States573 Posts
January 21 2013 08:42 GMT
#170
There's always room for improvement, but I definitely feel like they've both made leaps and bounds since the first time I heard them cast.
Know thyself.
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
January 21 2013 08:42 GMT
#171
I like how nmetasch said people with negative opinions tend to be more vocal than those with positive opinions. So Whiplash & SNM, keep it up! I may not love the commentating/casting yet (and I mean, yet), but I truly believe I will in the near future!
Cheers.
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
TAMinator
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia2706 Posts
January 21 2013 08:46 GMT
#172
SNM: Work on your pacing, pronounciation and just overall speech work.
Whiplash: Work on a better understanding of the game

They're improving which is good to see!
GunSec
Profile Joined February 2010
1095 Posts
January 21 2013 08:47 GMT
#173
well to the people who are complaining, there is a reason they are casting and you are not lol!
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
January 21 2013 08:51 GMT
#174
I like Whiplash. He's plenty good enough to be there, my only nitpick would be that he needs to work on his charisma a bit...some of his jokes seem really forced, and he can be quite robotic at times.

SNM's biggest weakness is similar; he's just too awkward. He will frequently not understand things that Whiplash says, not understand inflection in English words, and just in general does not seem to be able to have a natural flow in English conversation. I feel that if he were replaced with a notably entertaining color commentator such as TB or Doa, nobody would complain about Whiplash anymore, but the underlying problem is that the two of them together just have zero chemistry.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-21 08:55:39
January 21 2013 08:51 GMT
#175
EG-TL vs T8:

1) Too many repeated, filler words.
2) Please don't call fights based on supply etc. Ex. being HerO vs Cure: when he was 20 supply down but Cure was still stuck on his half of the map, you were giving cure a huge advantage, when I believe HerO had a better economy at the time and better upgrades. His composition was also better (Cure didn't have enough vikings)
3) Y'all need to work together. PLEASE don't clash. Play off of each other; don't fight each other.
4) Keep working on your play by plays SNM. You're contradicting and going back on what you say too often. Slow down, and think about what you're saying.

On January 21 2013 17:47 GunSec wrote:
well to the people who are complaining, there is a reason they are casting and you are not lol!


Nah. Nathanias is a mid (high?) masters terran who does a solo cast on almost every PL cast (he's sleeping for stars vs stx actually) and does a better job by himself than the two of them do together. It's basically an issue of chemistry. The other problems could EASILY be hidden if SNM can relax a bit, and learn to work with whiplash a bit more.

Unless you wanted to say that the reason was that they were in with kespa, which I certainly am not. Nathanias does a pretty good job though; carries like 2-400 people in his twitch stream, and apparently 800+ on raid call (no audio delay)
+ Show Spoiler +

stream is usually here
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
SKaysc
Profile Joined May 2010
United States305 Posts
January 21 2013 08:52 GMT
#176
SNM: There is definitely room for improvement but i love how there is someone who can translate the korean of SPL on the spot.
Sorkoas
Profile Joined May 2010
549 Posts
January 21 2013 08:53 GMT
#177
On January 21 2013 17:47 GunSec wrote:
well to the people who are complaining, there is a reason they are casting and you are not lol!

yeah, they live in korea and speak english lol!
TJ31
Profile Joined October 2012
630 Posts
January 21 2013 08:53 GMT
#178
Watched their first casts - dind't liked them at all. Switched to korean stream for a while.
Last week checked them again. I think they are a little better now, but far from being good, very very far.
So for now, I'll be watching korean stream and there's also free VODs on korean language as well so I don't really care.
Taefox
Profile Joined March 2010
1533 Posts
January 21 2013 08:54 GMT
#179
On January 21 2013 17:47 GunSec wrote:
well to the people who are complaining, there is a reason they are casting and you are not lol!

Are u smoking ? What the reason ? They play SC better than us then should add a lot of people who are better than them. And We are the audience so we have the right to complain to help SPL improve.
@taefoxy
Supah
Profile Joined August 2010
708 Posts
January 21 2013 08:59 GMT
#180
They should hang out a lot more while not working and work on their chemistry. A ton of the smaller mistakes would be excused if the conversation was more free-flowing than it is not. A lot of the time, one person will joke and the other person won't get it, or one person will correct another person and then an awkward silence ensues.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyun 62
NotJumperer 57
sorry 49
Bale 35
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 10
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto205
League of Legends
JimRising 569
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King123
Other Games
summit1g7972
Coldzera 728
WinterStarcraft403
ceh9383
C9.Mang0301
NeuroSwarm102
Sick96
ViBE23
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2303
League of Legends
• Rush1101
• Lourlo1034
• Stunt390
• Jankos187
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 6m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 6m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 6m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.