• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:51
CEST 13:51
KST 20:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7644 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 5093

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
September 22 2016 13:47 GMT
#101841
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Right, which is why these ultra PC assholes shouldn't be tolerated. They need to be mocked and ridiculed out of existence. Though I don't consider myself part of the alt right, I am 100% on board with their mission on this point.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
September 22 2016 13:48 GMT
#101842
xDaunt: Schrodinger's alt-righter
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
September 22 2016 13:50 GMT
#101843
Every time Nazis or Hitler are brought up in discourse as an analogy, many brain cells die.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
September 22 2016 13:52 GMT
#101844
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 13:55:28
September 22 2016 13:55 GMT
#101845
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
September 22 2016 13:56 GMT
#101846
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
September 22 2016 13:56 GMT
#101847
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?

No, not anymore.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 13:59:42
September 22 2016 13:58 GMT
#101848
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
September 22 2016 14:03 GMT
#101849
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?

Because it has become very clear that the expressions of distaste are directly leading to the prohibitions. The two are effectively inseparable. We need look no further than Twitter to see evidence of this.
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 14:12:34
September 22 2016 14:06 GMT
#101850
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?


Thing is, someones cultural sensitivity from within the culture is also not an exclusively uniform thing. I can think if a kid wanted to run around with a turban and a trouser and flail a little sword around that would be cool.

If you look at outrage groups barring a few exceptions its never really a majority of people that even care about these things. As someone whose culture gets appropriated and even misrepresented frequently. I can assure that most of us, dont give a shit.

There are good reasons to be offended, costumes for kids is not one of them. And if you are offended by that I reserve the right to not care in good conscious..

farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
September 22 2016 14:07 GMT
#101851
On September 22 2016 23:03 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?

Because it has become very clear that the expressions of distaste are directly leading to the prohibitions. The two are effectively inseparable. We need look no further than Twitter to see evidence of this.

Are the members of a particular minority group inseparable by virtue of their shared characteristics? If not, why should the actions of some impact the expressions of others when there pretty clearly exists a wide disparity in approach among members of the same group?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
September 22 2016 14:08 GMT
#101852
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If you someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

If their aim is that restaurants stop serving my favourite food, then yes.

And on-message, I disagree with their message that I should *care* about them being offended by those costumes. Some of them, I would probably agree with. It seems pretty offensive to dress as a donkey fucker, and I can see how,if people are walking around at Halloween as Mexican donkey-fuckers, it's a good thing to raise awareness that that is not ok. But rapper outfits are about as offensive as kilts or viking helmets.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
September 22 2016 14:10 GMT
#101853
On September 22 2016 23:08 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If you someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

If their aim is that restaurants stop serving my favourite food, then yes.

And on-message, I disagree with their message that I should *care* about them being offended by those costumes. Some of them, I would probably agree with. It seems pretty offensive to dress as a donkey fucker, and I can see how,if people are walking around at Halloween as Mexican donkey-fuckers, it's a good thing to raise awareness that that is not ok. But rapper outfits are about as offensive as kilts or viking helmets.

I'm glad you've now differentiated your approach from xDaunt's, I didn't think you made for good bedfellows. And yes, I agree with the above almost entirely.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
September 22 2016 14:11 GMT
#101854
if someone decided to dress up as a coolie and run around with a pair of chopsticks while imitating leslie from the hangover for halloween i personally wouldn't really be offended. i'd just think it was in really bad taste and that they're an idiot.

i concede it's probably different for people with other backgrounds though, and that there are things they find find truly offensive and hurtful. but i feel (and i say feel) that the standard should be restrictions on stuff that represents some sort of historic violence or discrimination (like someone dressing up in white robes and pointy hat) vs a cultural caricature.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 14:14:56
September 22 2016 14:13 GMT
#101855
On September 22 2016 23:06 Rebs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?


Thing is, someones cultural sensitivity from within the culture is also not an exclusively uniform thing. I can think if a kid wanted to run around with a turban and a trouser and flail a little sword around that would be cool.

If you look at outrage groups barring a few exceptions its never really a majority of people that even care about these things. As someone whose culture gets appropriated and even misrepresented frequently. I can assure that most of us, dont give a shit.

There are good reasons to be offended, costumes for kids are not one of them.


Specific examples of how particular members of implicated groups are ok with representations of said groups are not all that interesting; surely you can see how someone who has had their minority status tossed in their face throughout their life, much to their detriment, might feel differently?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
September 22 2016 14:14 GMT
#101856
On September 22 2016 23:11 ticklishmusic wrote:
if someone decided to dress up as a coolie and run around with a pair of chopsticks while imitating leslie from the hangover for halloween i personally wouldn't really be offended. i'd just think it was in really bad taste and that they're an idiot.

i concede it's probably different for people with other backgrounds though, and that there are things they find find truly offensive and hurtful. but i feel (and i say feel) that the standard should be restrictions on stuff that represents some sort of historic violence or discrimination (like someone dressing up in white robes and pointy hat) vs a cultural caricature.

I'm not sure active restrictions on something like worn expression should ever be tolerated, but like you've said, there are plenty of legitimate circumstances in which someone is entitled to their offense.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
September 22 2016 14:17 GMT
#101857
There are two separate issues here. Firstly, is someone being an asshole? And hopefully we're all agreed that the guy who wears a SS uniform on Halloween and knowingly shows up at the door of Holocaust survivors is an asshole. Secondly, should it be legal? And again I think we're pretty much all agreed that it should be legal. Even the SJWs who bitch about cultural appropriate. They're just trying to explain why it's an asshole thing to do, they're not proposing that the first amendment be repealed.

The entire argument to me reeks of one side going "how dare you say I'm not allowed to be an asshole!!!" and the other going "could you try to stop being an asshole?". No actual communication takes place.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 14:29:59
September 22 2016 14:18 GMT
#101858
On September 22 2016 23:13 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 23:06 Rebs wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:58 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:56 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:55 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:52 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:45 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
[quote]
Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Don't you think a holocaust survivor would feel differently? Fuck their feelings, right?

Basically, yes. The right to free expression is greater than the right to not be offended. Do I think wearing a Nazi costume is a really dickish move that portrays some appalling values? Yes. But I support the right to wear it anyway.

I also think that the reasons a holocaust survivor is offended by a Nazi costume being used "frivolously" is quite different from what those ads portray. E.g. I think a holocaust survivor would be far more offended by a Nazi costume than an Auschwitz-camp-inmate costume.

Prohibitions and public expressions of distaste are rather different though; couldn't those posters previously referenced be characterized as the latter?


Yeah. I don't dispute their right to express their opinion. I just vehemently disagree with it.

You disagree with the fact that minorities claim that some costumes are offensive to their culture? If someone says that they don't like your favorite food, does that upset you?

xDaunt-why not?


Thing is, someones cultural sensitivity from within the culture is also not an exclusively uniform thing. I can think if a kid wanted to run around with a turban and a trouser and flail a little sword around that would be cool.

If you look at outrage groups barring a few exceptions its never really a majority of people that even care about these things. As someone whose culture gets appropriated and even misrepresented frequently. I can assure that most of us, dont give a shit.

There are good reasons to be offended, costumes for kids are not one of them.


Specific examples of how particular members of implicated groups are ok with representations of said groups are not all that interesting; surely you can see how someone who has had their minority status tossed in their face throughout their life, much to their detriment, might feel differently? Affluence changes the equation, I think.


But thats exactly what you are doing, even your examples are specific. The people that have had their minority status tossed in their face are a very specific set of people.

Thats not a problem with random instances of cultural appropriation. Thats a problem of discrimination.

edit: Look its pretty straightforward, if something is meant to offend its pretty obvious. Problem is if you are going to start complaining about harmless instances of appropriation that may even be trying to celebrate your culture albeit sloppily, thats not a bad thing.






DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46511 Posts
September 22 2016 14:18 GMT
#101859
On September 22 2016 22:47 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2016 22:44 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:39 farvacola wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:37 Acrofales wrote:
On September 22 2016 22:26 farvacola wrote:
That's a very different proposition, and I think a member of a group being implicated by a costume would fight your invocation of "just about anything."

Fairly certain that if you're offended by little kids walking around in a gypsy dress, you'll get offended by virtually anything that references your culture. It's almost like you're embarrassed for your culture if that offends you.

Look, it isn't hard to toss the concerns of others when you color them in the least appealing shade possible, but then again, being offended by someone else being offended speaks for itself.

At least xDaunt is honest about his disregard and doesn't resort to cherry picking.

I'm not offended by people being offended. That would imply I feel insulted by their feelings. I don't. I am however annoyed that they think they can tell others what is and what isn't a valid costume.

Imho, people can walk around in a Nazi costume. I don't think I'd give them candy, and they may not find the whole ordeal particularly pleasant, but I support their right to do that.

Right, which is why these ultra PC assholes shouldn't be tolerated. They need to be mocked and ridiculed out of existence. Though I don't consider myself part of the alt right, I am 100% on board with their mission on this point.


I agree that many people are too politically correct, but I also worry that many in the alt-right camp aren't merely being "non-PC", but are being outright racist and sexist and bigoted in both their words and actions, and trying to argue that their beliefs are acceptable and respectable merely because it's okay to not be PC. I think they create a false dichotomy between the two extremes of the PC spectrum, and try to insist that unless you're an uber politically correct pussy, you should be okay with ignorant and hateful filth.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-22 14:30:12
September 22 2016 14:20 GMT
#101860
I could definitely see wanting to push back against cultural appropriation. I was very on board with it at first and still agree with it in principle (if you're describing someone's culture, do so respectfully), but I have had some major shifts in thinking based on how it is being carried out- University of Ottawa cancelled their yoga class due to cultural appropriation claims- I have zero interest in yoga, but it strikes me that most anything comes from a culture somewhere.

It's starting look like a race to claim the cultural equivalent of intellectual property, which in terms of history starts look like the privatization and therefore the downfall of the idea of public history. Only First Nations may tell the stories of their people, yet we as teachers are supposed to teach First Nations content- I suppose that means we can only teach it by bringing a representative of each local band in. Here's the problem- what if they are wrong? Like dead wrong? Even wrong in a very racist way? The current application of cultural appropriation tends creates a protected body of knowledge, so long as you are speaking about your people's history.

This is where Vox Day has actually changed my thinking- not because I agree with him, but because I think he is dead wrong and a racial supremacist. But he is rather clever because he wields his Native American ancestry against any who would contradict him. Everything that people use to fight for ethnic groups being able to tell their own story exclusively, he adopts due to his Native American heritage all to further his arguments about white supremacy. So either I'm left arguing about whether he has sufficient Native American ancestry to be counted as such, which is a dumb conversation to have or people outside the culture can also critically (and yes, respectfully) tell someone else's cultural story. I still believe in going to good sources and being respectful and accurate (all good stuff for the historically minded), but I don't agree that an ethnic group can have the exclusive rights to tell their story- It only works until they are wrong and belligerently wrong with no hope of correction. And I say this as a person with what I would consider a rich cultural background (not this nebulous "I'm a white person"). Sure I would prefer if my own people were the ones telling our story if possible, but I also believe anyone could research properly and have a decent outside perspective and could give a respectful and even a critical account of my cultural history. I believe that history is public. That belief does directly contradict others belief systems that believe history can be sacred and therefore exclusive. Call me an imperialist, but I still disagree with them.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Prev 1 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings165
SHIN 96
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 314
OGKoka 280
ByuN 279
SHIN 96
MindelVK 23
Railgan 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 74108
Calm 10649
Rain 2505
Bisu 1364
FanTaSy 963
soO 652
Stork 436
Soulkey 402
Shuttle 357
Rush 268
[ Show more ]
Soma 216
firebathero 206
Snow 157
Last 146
Light 113
Mind 88
Pusan 74
ToSsGirL 56
Sea.KH 48
Bale 41
Shinee 41
Killer 33
Sharp 31
Trap 31
hero 29
Hm[arnc] 28
Mong 27
Free 26
yabsab 19
Aegong 18
Sexy 18
zelot 18
Shine 17
sorry 16
HiyA 13
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
scan(afreeca) 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7836
Dendi340
League of Legends
Reynor101
Counter-Strike
x6flipin383
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King101
Other Games
gofns35287
singsing2553
byalli561
B2W.Neo509
Pyrionflax245
ToD73
Chillindude12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 87
• Gemini_19 12
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV493
League of Legends
• Jankos3600
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 960
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 9m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 9m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 9m
OSC
11h 9m
Replay Cast
11h 9m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.