• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:13
CEST 17:13
KST 00:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8539 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 158

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 156 157 158 159 160 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 18:32:38
March 11 2013 18:32 GMT
#3141
Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump would make a great couple. Nothing like a union forged in populist politics!
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Adreme
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5574 Posts
March 11 2013 18:43 GMT
#3142
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Show nested quote +
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.
JonnyBNoHo
Profile Joined July 2011
United States6277 Posts
March 11 2013 18:56 GMT
#3143
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Show nested quote +
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 19:07:51
March 11 2013 18:57 GMT
#3144
On March 12 2013 03:43 Adreme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.


The sequester is evenly split between domestic and defense spending, with across-the-board cuts in discretionary spending. The administration did have the authority to not cut White House tours. For obvious reasons, they decided to cut them.

On March 12 2013 03:56 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.


Yeah? So where else would you like to take money from? Education? Health? Border patrol? Prisons? Military? Point is, White House tours should not be a contentious issue at all.

I suppose if the money came from the salaries of those on the Hill/the President, that would be a justifiable exchange. Too bad that's not gonna happen.
Writer
DeltaX
Profile Joined August 2011
United States287 Posts
March 11 2013 19:13 GMT
#3145
On March 12 2013 03:57 Souma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:43 Adreme wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.


The sequester is evenly split between domestic and defense spending, with across-the-board cuts in discretionary spending. The administration did have the authority to not cut White House tours. For obvious reasons, they decided to cut them.

Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:56 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.


Yeah? So where else would you like to take money from? Education? Health? Border patrol? Prisons? Military? Point is, White House tours should not be a contentious issue at all.


Given that each department has to find 10% to cut, you can't even take money from education to pay for the tours.

The secret service has 2 missions. The first is the protection of the president and foreign leaders, the second is protection of the financial system by doing things like fighting counterfeiting. Giving White House tours, while popular, is not part of the core function of the department and in any impartial analysis would be considered wasteful if it was not so popular.
JonnyBNoHo
Profile Joined July 2011
United States6277 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 19:20:53
March 11 2013 19:16 GMT
#3146
On March 12 2013 03:57 Souma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:43 Adreme wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.


The sequester is evenly split between domestic and defense spending, with across-the-board cuts in discretionary spending. The administration did have the authority to not cut White House tours. For obvious reasons, they decided to cut them.

Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:56 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.


Yeah? So where else would you like to take money from? Education? Health? Border patrol? Prisons? Military? Point is, White House tours should not be a contentious issue at all.

I suppose if the money came from the salaries of those on the Hill/the President, that would be a justifiable exchange. Too bad that's not gonna happen.

IDK, I kinda view something like WH tours as education - like a museum tour or a tour of some other historical building.

Edit: So yes, cut the military / DHS if you need to.
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
March 11 2013 19:22 GMT
#3147
On March 12 2013 04:13 DeltaX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:57 Souma wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:43 Adreme wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.


The sequester is evenly split between domestic and defense spending, with across-the-board cuts in discretionary spending. The administration did have the authority to not cut White House tours. For obvious reasons, they decided to cut them.

On March 12 2013 03:56 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.


Yeah? So where else would you like to take money from? Education? Health? Border patrol? Prisons? Military? Point is, White House tours should not be a contentious issue at all.


Given that each department has to find 10% to cut, you can't even take money from education to pay for the tours.


Yeah, true. It was more of a rhetorical question in that regard.

On March 12 2013 04:16 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 03:57 Souma wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:43 Adreme wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.


Thats not really how the sequester works. If they were told to just find 1.2 trillion to cut and do it then it would probably be a fairly painless bill.


The sequester is evenly split between domestic and defense spending, with across-the-board cuts in discretionary spending. The administration did have the authority to not cut White House tours. For obvious reasons, they decided to cut them.

On March 12 2013 03:56 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
On March 12 2013 03:30 Souma wrote:
Donald Trump said Monday that he’d be willing to foot the bill for the White House tours that President Barack Obama’s administration nixed because of sequestration budget cuts.

Last week, Newt Gingrich recommended that Trump fund the tours, tweeting:

Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) March 8, 2013



“I think it’s so nice of Newt to suggest that, I don’t know anything about it… . I like Newt a lot,” Trump said Monday on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends. “I didn’t hear this, but it sounds reasonable to me. Why not?”

Trump said that he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point.

“I guess it’s political. They want to hurt the people … If you look at what’s going on, I guess they’re trying to make a political point. It’s just really ridiculous. I don’t think it’s a big deal, frankly. But it does make us look awfully bad and awfully pathetic,” Trump said.

Last week, Obama administration officials announced that they were canceling White House tours to deal with sequestration, the $1.2 trillion automatic cuts in federal spending over a decade that took effect March 1.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/trump-willing-to-fund-white-house-tours-88682.html?hp=f3


This is so ridiculous. Out of the things we can cut, White House tours should be the least controversial/political. What else would you rather cut? More from education? More from health research? More from defense?

I usually don't care what Donald Trump/Gingrich have to say, but I've been getting constituent calls about the same thing, and it's flabbergasting how there are those who would rather see more cuts to pivotal programs as opposed to cuts to White House tours.

I can't imagine white house tours cost that much.


Yeah? So where else would you like to take money from? Education? Health? Border patrol? Prisons? Military? Point is, White House tours should not be a contentious issue at all.

I suppose if the money came from the salaries of those on the Hill/the President, that would be a justifiable exchange. Too bad that's not gonna happen.

IDK, I kinda view something like WH tours as education - like a museum tour or a tour of some other historical building.

Edit: So yes, cut the military / DHS if you need to.


You can certainly view it as education. I just don't think it's as important as everything else that's already being cut.
Writer
Rassy
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 20:20:54
March 11 2013 20:20 GMT
#3148
Agree that cancelling the WHT are to make a point and to make people notice the effects of cuts by eliminating a thing nearly all americans can enjoy.
It cant cost much to hold those tours annyway? and instead of cancelling they could just charge everyone who takes the tour 5 or 10 bugs to cover the costs.
The pr value of thoose tours is enormous.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 11 2013 21:31 GMT
#3149
Dream 2016 ticket: Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
March 11 2013 21:34 GMT
#3150
This is the problem with government cuts and public perception. People look at the budget of the government and think, "Certainly, there's waste and fraud in there! If we slash the budget, they'll get rid of the waste and fraud first!" In reality, you start cutting the budget and things people like are going to go. Sure, they can shift stuff around so the headline shifts away from White House tours, but it's just replaced with another headline about Yosemite being shut down for a week, or decreased security for diplomats.

I'd expect regulars to understand this, but I guess you guys would rather jerk off to the idea of the biggest jerk off being asked to fund White House tours instead.
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
March 11 2013 21:35 GMT
#3151
Haha that's not gonna happen. Warren's too left and I'm sure Democrats have Massachusetts locked up anyway. Politically speaking it might be wise to go for a Hispanic, perhaps Castro to try to contend Texas or something.
Writer
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
March 11 2013 21:35 GMT
#3152
On March 12 2013 06:31 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Dream 2016 ticket: Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren

I'd vote for that. Hell, I'd vote Libertarian if Warren was on the ticket.
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
March 11 2013 21:45 GMT
#3153
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.
Writer
ImAbstracT
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
519 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 21:51:25
March 11 2013 21:51 GMT
#3154
On March 12 2013 06:31 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Dream 2016 ticket: Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren

I would like a Warren/Booker ticket. When it comes to "mainstream" politicians you really can't get two better people.
"I want you to take a moment, and reflect, on how much of a failure you are" - IdrA
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
March 11 2013 21:51 GMT
#3155
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.

Then you'd have states like Texas or Florida cooking the numbers to force a minimum wage as low as possible. Just determine an absolute minimum and force it nationwide, and states can raise it beyond that if they want.
DeltaX
Profile Joined August 2011
United States287 Posts
March 11 2013 21:56 GMT
#3156
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.


We already have this. The federal minimum wage is the minimum minimum wage. States can (and do) set their own that that can be higher, but you can't go lower than the federal min wage.

Federal minimum wage is 7.25
Cali min wage is 8.00
Missouri min wage is 7.35
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 22:51:36
March 11 2013 22:50 GMT
#3157
On March 12 2013 06:56 DeltaX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.


We already have this. The federal minimum wage is the minimum minimum wage. States can (and do) set their own that that can be higher, but you can't go lower than the federal min wage.

Federal minimum wage is 7.25
Cali min wage is 8.00
Missouri min wage is 7.35


On March 12 2013 06:51 aksfjh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.

Then you'd have states like Texas or Florida cooking the numbers to force a minimum wage as low as possible. Just determine an absolute minimum and force it nationwide, and states can raise it beyond that if they want.


Nah, those numbers could just be calculated by some entity that is not the state. Problem solved. It wouldn't change the status quo much aside from not forcing some states to have a minimum wage higher than what is needed in their particular state and it may make some states raise their minimum wage (of course, states would still be able to raise their minimum wage beyond what is determined). I only bring this up because there's a debate circulating around about raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10, and I'm thinking that feels a bit too arbitrary for some areas.

In any case, seems we'd be better off calculating it on a state-by-state basis.
Writer
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
March 11 2013 22:52 GMT
#3158
On March 12 2013 07:50 Souma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 06:56 DeltaX wrote:
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.


We already have this. The federal minimum wage is the minimum minimum wage. States can (and do) set their own that that can be higher, but you can't go lower than the federal min wage.

Federal minimum wage is 7.25
Cali min wage is 8.00
Missouri min wage is 7.35


Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 06:51 aksfjh wrote:
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.

Then you'd have states like Texas or Florida cooking the numbers to force a minimum wage as low as possible. Just determine an absolute minimum and force it nationwide, and states can raise it beyond that if they want.


Nah, those numbers could just be calculated by some entity that is not the state. Problem solved.

What numbers would be used? The state could try to manipulate whatever creates the data the external entity uses.

Also, it's not so easy to adjust for the different standard of living from state to state in a fair way that is viable for a federal minimum wage.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
March 11 2013 22:55 GMT
#3159
living expense can be severely different within states too.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 22:57:25
March 11 2013 22:56 GMT
#3160
On March 12 2013 07:52 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 07:50 Souma wrote:
On March 12 2013 06:56 DeltaX wrote:
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.


We already have this. The federal minimum wage is the minimum minimum wage. States can (and do) set their own that that can be higher, but you can't go lower than the federal min wage.

Federal minimum wage is 7.25
Cali min wage is 8.00
Missouri min wage is 7.35


On March 12 2013 06:51 aksfjh wrote:
On March 12 2013 06:45 Souma wrote:
So about the federal minimum wage... Wouldn't it be better to not have a single wage across the country (say, $10.00/hr), but instead make states base their minimum wage on some formula (taking inflation into consideration of course) so that wages are more in line with the living costs of their particular state? Not sure why California and Missouri need the same minimum wage.

Then you'd have states like Texas or Florida cooking the numbers to force a minimum wage as low as possible. Just determine an absolute minimum and force it nationwide, and states can raise it beyond that if they want.


Nah, those numbers could just be calculated by some entity that is not the state. Problem solved.

What numbers would be used? The state could try to manipulate whatever creates the data the external entity uses.

Also, it's not so easy to adjust for the different standard of living from state to state in a fair way that is viable for a federal minimum wage.


Census? Or have the entity run their own numbers? So many ways that this can be done. I don't accept the mentality that it can't be done.

You may have to elaborate on the second point. Whether it's easy or not is not really an argument though; it's more whether it's viable/plausible/can and will be done.

On March 12 2013 07:55 oneofthem wrote:
living expense can be severely different within states too.


I'm aware, but we can at least address some of the discrepancy, even if we can't address all of it, can't we?
Writer
Prev 1 156 157 158 159 160 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem148
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 148
Railgan 91
trigger 37
IndyStarCraft 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52791
Shuttle 8678
BeSt 758
Horang2 493
actioN 235
Larva 201
Sexy 187
ggaemo 138
Soma 137
Last 117
[ Show more ]
Mind 95
Zeus 79
hero 58
Hyun 54
Killer 47
Aegong 46
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
PianO 22
Rock 19
NaDa 12
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5269
qojqva2519
Dendi1413
420jenkins476
Fuzer 95
Counter-Strike
fl0m3327
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1165
Liquid`Hasu780
MindelVK2
Other Games
B2W.Neo864
singsing713
Beastyqt600
Mlord452
byalli398
Livibee218
ArmadaUGS212
Hui .196
KnowMe116
QueenE85
Mew2King54
CosmosSc2 33
Chillindude18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick806
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream60
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 46
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3175
League of Legends
• Nemesis2890
Other Games
• WagamamaTV218
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 48m
Replay Cast
7h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 48m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 48m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.