• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:51
CEST 03:51
KST 10:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9425 users

GSL Popularity - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 64 65 66 Next
Draconicfire
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2562 Posts
January 06 2011 23:15 GMT
#21
I've also noticed that the audience numbers seem to have gone down a bit, it's kind of sad, but I hope the numbers increase soon.
@Drayxs | Drayxs.221 | Drayxs#1802
acie
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States247 Posts
January 06 2011 23:15 GMT
#22
actually I would wait to see until the final 16 code s tourny to start before judging the popularity, These group stages aren't particularly compelling
mark05
Profile Joined March 2009
Canada807 Posts
January 06 2011 23:18 GMT
#23
I dont know much about the location of these recordings but if i was like 50miles away id go each time i can, and im not korean.
Could it be some kind of protestation or they just don't liek the game?
yes, I'm MarkOhFive
emythrel
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom2599 Posts
January 06 2011 23:18 GMT
#24
when the quality of matches rises so will the viewing numbers.

I turned on the stream today hoping to see ret but he was already finished, had to wait for the VOD. every game lasted like 6-7 minutes and were more decided by build orders and sloppy placement than skill.

The same thing happens quite alot in code S too, although i think the bo1 group stages have in places produced some long matches purely because the stakes are so high, you can't afford to lose one game, you can't just tap out after an early rush that you barely held hoping for a comeback in a series. Boxer's TvT with hyperdub was pretty cool because they just duked it out for a long while all over the map. And of course the mass OC's were cool.

Personally i think that we should see alot of macro games and few cheese games, not the other way round. That will come in time, we just need to wait for the game to develop. BW wasn't the esport it is today when it was only 6 months old.
When there is nothing left to lose but your dignity, it is already gone.
s.a.y
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Croatia3840 Posts
January 06 2011 23:18 GMT
#25
It's not that suprising, watching proleague games with woojing and wemade fox doesn't turn in more than 50 people most of the time.

Or at least what i remember watching.

Same goes for early OSL and MSL games.
I am not good with quotes
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
January 06 2011 23:19 GMT
#26
On January 07 2011 08:15 acie wrote:
actually I would wait to see until the final 16 code s tourny to start before judging the popularity, These group stages aren't particularly compelling


and when the Team League starts, then we will see if it's as bad as it sounds
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
January 06 2011 23:19 GMT
#27
On January 07 2011 08:13 jalstar wrote:
GSL ceasing to exist would not be the end of SC2 in Korea, just the end of Blizzard/Gretech's monopoly. OGN had plans for an OS2L before Blizzard stepped in.


Citation? I'm quite interested to see what their plans were.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
I_Love_Bacon
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5765 Posts
January 06 2011 23:20 GMT
#28
On January 07 2011 08:15 acie wrote:
actually I would wait to see until the final 16 code s tourny to start before judging the popularity, These group stages aren't particularly compelling


Kind of this. Make no mistake though, shit isn't great. However, once there's actually a tournament bracket to speak of I'd expect more fans to show up again. Not being broadcast on television is a huge, huge problem for SC2. Foreigners have dealt with watching internet streams for years as our only source, so it doesn't seem terrible for us. Attracting a wider audience to the game means getting it more accessible to the fans, and that means either massive hype/promotion or an easier means of delivering the content.
" i havent been playin sc2 but i woke up w/ a boner and i really had to pee... and my crisis management and micro was really something to behold. it inspired me to play some games today" -Liquid'Tyler
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
January 06 2011 23:20 GMT
#29
Hmm... I'm not sure how important the live viewing numbers really are.

If 100K people would watch the stream, and 0 be in the audience, it'd still be hugely attractive for the sponsors, the circle is completed and the story ends there, no?
Dont Panic
Profile Joined October 2010
United States194 Posts
January 06 2011 23:20 GMT
#30
I think it's more of Blizzard's fault than GOMs. The units aren't as interesting and the maps are terrible.
I am order. I am logic. I know exactly who I am.
Turgid
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1623 Posts
January 06 2011 23:20 GMT
#31
On January 07 2011 08:18 mark05 wrote:
I dont know much about the location of these recordings but if i was like 50miles away id go each time i can, and im not korean.
Could it be some kind of protestation or they just don't liek the game?


Someone from Something Awful posted an article in Korean that he claimed said that the Koreans have complained about the quality of the games and apparently even think the players play too many games, or something like that. The first point is extremely valid. SC2 has many bad games at this point in time. It happens. I'm personally still entertained by a good 1base timing push but I can definitely understand how it would be lame or not fun to watch, especially compared to Brood War. I'm an SC2 noob but I started watching MSL and those dudes are sick.
(╬ ಠ益ಠ)
legaton
Profile Joined December 2010
France1763 Posts
January 06 2011 23:21 GMT
#32
Come on, what's so surprising about it? I watch BW and SC2 religiously, but the gap between these two games is obvious. BW is a thousand times more mechanically taxing than SC2, and the strategic thinking and ability of BW programmers is unparalleled. SC2 is just not as rewarding for the viewer. When i see a BW match, i'm almost sure i'm going to see a level of play unachievable to me, even on the worst games. GSL looks just like a random ladder game between 3K diamonds.
No GG, No Skill - Jaedong <3
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 23:25:35
January 06 2011 23:21 GMT
#33
On January 07 2011 08:11 pfods wrote:
I think korea needs to look outwards if it wants to survive as the mecca of starcraft and esports. They can only live on broodwar for so long, especially with so many of the pros switching over to starcraft 2. For one, a revision of how GOM presents the GSL to the west would be great. I know a lot of people that would watch if it weren't on at 4 in the morning. It's nice to have a livestream and all, but perhaps a delayed stream per each timezone would be better. Guaranteed to attract more viewers, and if they put ads in the stream, they would acquire revenue to promote themselves and the game more than they do now.

That said, I know blizzard wants starcraft 2 to succeed in esports(at least I hope they do). If korea fails to deliver, I can easily see blizzard stepping up and hosting a GSL like tournament.

Korea has the interest, infrastructure, and legacy; they're nowhere near getting supplanted as the worldwide mecca of ESPORTS. If Sc2 fails as an ESPORT in Korea, then it will have failed as an ESPORT period. Success at the occasional big lan and WCG is nowhere near the kind of exposure or success that the Korean BW model has achieved. Plenty of games fit into the Western model, but the goal all along has been for Sc2 to aspire to something higher than that.

And I'm less convinced than you are that Blizzard cares about the future of ESPORTS. I'm pretty positive that they're either completely incompetent, or they don't care in the slightest.

On January 07 2011 08:20 Dont Panic wrote:
I think it's more of Blizzard's fault than GOMs. The units aren't as interesting and the maps are terrible.

I'd expect GOM to have some say in the maps, but perhaps they don't. I think enough Sc2 units are interesting to make it decent watching. I think the fault lies with Blizzard's anti-competitive attitude towards the scene. Giving exclusive rights of a fledgling game to a company that consistently demonstrates the business acumen of a group of five year olds was not a smart move. OGN and MBC should've gotten the first crack at Sc2.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
schimmetje
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1104 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 23:23:18
January 06 2011 23:22 GMT
#34
Hmm bit skewed perhaps? You can't draw any comparisons without all the numbers, not just the offline audience. Though it's certainly something that they should strive to improve. It's only been a few months though.

Edit: Also you people making this into another Boo Blizzard/Gretech thread are.. silly.
Change to MY nostalgia? UNACCEPTABLE! Monkey paaaw!
jalstar
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States8198 Posts
January 06 2011 23:22 GMT
#35
On January 07 2011 08:19 eviltomahawk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2011 08:13 jalstar wrote:
GSL ceasing to exist would not be the end of SC2 in Korea, just the end of Blizzard/Gretech's monopoly. OGN had plans for an OS2L before Blizzard stepped in.


Citation? I'm quite interested to see what their plans were.


16 players with online qualifiers, so anyone from anywhere in the world could play. It was an article on Fomos I believe, can't find it now.
traca
Profile Joined October 2010
146 Posts
January 06 2011 23:22 GMT
#36
watch msl ro16/osl ro8 day 2 and gsl S codes games

Raeleigh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada902 Posts
January 06 2011 23:23 GMT
#37
I think not renting out huge venues and not having so many seasons in a small period of time would help, to be honest. =(

But I hope things improve. Those are ridiculous numbers. D:
you are perfect porcelain.
naventus
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States1339 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 23:23:57
January 06 2011 23:23 GMT
#38
Blizzard is fucking stupid.

They don't let the people who know how to promote the game (kespa) run with it, but then don't go the whole way and just kill off SC1 by forcing kespa to shut down to direct attention to SC2.

So basically they get the worst of both worlds.
hmm.
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
January 06 2011 23:23 GMT
#39
On January 07 2011 08:21 tree.hugger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2011 08:11 pfods wrote:
I think korea needs to look outwards if it wants to survive as the mecca of starcraft and esports. They can only live on broodwar for so long, especially with so many of the pros switching over to starcraft 2. For one, a revision of how GOM presents the GSL to the west would be great. I know a lot of people that would watch if it weren't on at 4 in the morning. It's nice to have a livestream and all, but perhaps a delayed stream per each timezone would be better. Guaranteed to attract more viewers, and if they put ads in the stream, they would acquire revenue to promote themselves and the game more than they do now.

That said, I know blizzard wants starcraft 2 to succeed in esports(at least I hope they do). If korea fails to deliver, I can easily see blizzard stepping up and hosting a GSL like tournament.

Korea has the interest, infrastructure, and legacy; they're nowhere near getting supplanted as the worldwide mecca of ESPORTS. If Sc2 fails as an ESPORT in Korea, then it will have failed as an ESPORT period. Success at the occasional big lan and WCG is nowhere near the kind of exposure or success that the Korean BW model has achieved. Plenty of games fit into the Western model, but the goal all along has been for Sc2 to aspire to something higher than that.

And I'm less convinced than you are that Blizzard cares about the future of ESPORTS. I'm pretty positive that they're either completely incompetent, or they don't care in the slightest.


Although I disagree that we need Korea for E-sports to work, I do have to agree that my faith has been shaken in Blizzard caring about E-Sports.
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Striker.superfreunde
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany1120 Posts
January 06 2011 23:23 GMT
#40
It's simply too much. To many games in a short amount of time. Games getting disinterest.
The saving feature of seeing good players playing starcraft deflagrates.
'Your ak is pretty... uhm... dank!'
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 64 65 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings106
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiLiPiLi 7
RuFF_SC2 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 943
Sharp 55
Bale 36
Dota 2
monkeys_forever588
NeuroSwarm192
League of Legends
Doublelift4728
Counter-Strike
taco 599
Other Games
summit1g7876
JimRising 515
C9.Mang0338
ViBE158
ToD84
kaitlyn51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick670
BasetradeTV166
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 113
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP94
• poizon28 39
• davetesta31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1244
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 9m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
10h 9m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 9m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 9m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.