• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:23
CEST 18:23
KST 01:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9688 users

! [Q] Protoss hotkeys - Page 5

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Guybrush
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Spain4744 Posts
May 13 2007 13:21 GMT
#81
Does people still use 'r' for rally points instead of right click ?

Boxer is awesome due to the fact that he uses the arrow buttons instead of mousescrolling.
Live2Win is awesome. Happy new year scarabi!
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
May 13 2007 13:21 GMT
#82
ah ok so they do click, r, minimap, click, r, minimap. That's what I thought; doesn't seem like any other effective way to do it after you have more gates than hotkeys.

My rally points get so messy when I try that though XD they don't even all fit on the same plateau of baekdu ^^;; my mouse accuracy is horrible.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
May 13 2007 13:23 GMT
#83
I am in the habit of using r, even though I know right click works. I'm trying to use right click more though, and I'm more accustomed to it now.

I'd imagine progamers already have it so ingrained in their muscle memory that they might still use it. I'm not sure though.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
GongKyuckTerran
Profile Joined March 2006
Croatia1096 Posts
May 13 2007 13:38 GMT
#84
right click for relly point ! ^^
Ultras di Spalato, Etre et durer
mangina
Profile Joined March 2008
United States230 Posts
April 02 2008 17:41 GMT
#85
I like to hotkey 1-2 for units (scouting and attacking).
Sometimes ill overwrite 1-4 with units when I attack in a large wave.
3-6 are for gateways. 8-0 for my nexus (expo, natural, and main respectively).
I constantly overwrite my hotkeys during the game.
I find it more effective.
xmShake
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1100 Posts
April 02 2008 17:56 GMT
#86
On April 03 2008 02:41 mangina wrote:
I like to hotkey 1-2 for units (scouting and attacking).
Sometimes ill overwrite 1-4 with units when I attack in a large wave.
3-6 are for gateways. 8-0 for my nexus (expo, natural, and main respectively).
I constantly overwrite my hotkeys during the game.
I find it more effective.

Don't bump old threads unless you have a problem similar to the original thread creator's.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
April 03 2008 00:03 GMT
#87
If you have problem with your 10+ gateways in late game why don't you use F2 F3 F4 centered on your gateways?

As a terran user, I use

early game:

1: Scout - vultures/marines (when scout dies)
2: vultures/marines
3: tank OR vulture/marines if I don't have tanks
4: CC
5: CC
6-8: rax/factories
9-0: scan

mid/late-game

F2: factories (or rax)
F3: factories
F4: Starports

1-5: fighting units
6: vessels, if I have some
7-8: scv
9-10: scan

May be different for toss user but if you free your hotkeys from gates by using the F ones, it becomes easier...
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Ancestral
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3230 Posts
April 03 2008 01:40 GMT
#88
On April 03 2008 02:56 XMShake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2008 02:41 mangina wrote:
I like to hotkey 1-2 for units (scouting and attacking).
Sometimes ill overwrite 1-4 with units when I attack in a large wave.
3-6 are for gateways. 8-0 for my nexus (expo, natural, and main respectively).
I constantly overwrite my hotkeys during the game.
I find it more effective.

Don't bump old threads unless you have a problem similar to the original thread creator's.

I have a feeling my Protoss hotkeys aren't the most efficient either. I usually go 7-0 Nex and 1-6 units in the lategame. In the early game I hotkey cybernetics core, forge, robo bay, etc. I usually F-2 over my gateways and then click+z click+z click+z click+z click+d etc. By the time late game comes and I have 10 or more Gateways, how does it make sense to hotkey 7 of them and then click on the rest? I can F-2 and then click through all of them pretty quickly.

I don't deny it's better, but I want to understand why.
The Nature and purpose of the martial way are universal; all selfish desires must be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training. - Masutatsu Oyama
BBallTime
Profile Joined February 2009
Canada21 Posts
February 24 2009 03:45 GMT
#89
When i checked the hotkeys for Bisu or Stork, they use 4 for initial Nexus...how do they do 4p to
build a probe? That looks pretty far on my keyboard....is it better to use 4 or 9/0? Also, custom keyboard hotkeys are illegal and considered hacks right (like rebinding p to e for probe)? It seems so awkward to do 4p...what do they use for nat expo nexus? Do the koreans use all original keys in their league games or they're allowed to use custom key programs or the korean keyboard has the p button on the left side of the keyboard?
xxbluejay21
Profile Joined February 2009
United States94 Posts
March 09 2009 05:39 GMT
#90
hmm. I know theres no "right" way to hotkey. But can someone look over my hotkeys and tell me i'm doing something that can be done a lot easier?

Early game:
1 choke units
2 scout
3 nexus
4 gateway
0 nexus (so i can switch easier mid game)

Mid game:
1 units
2 units
3 units or shuttle
4-8 gatweways
9/10 nexus
f2 gateways
f3 tech buildings

late game:
1 units
2 units
3 units
4 units
5 units or shuttle
6 gateway (to check when units are done making
7/8 ?? (dont know what to put these as)
9/10 nexus (mining bases)
When I looked out the window, I saw my family, and my teammates... and my coach who suffered so much because of me... and I realized that I could not fall easily in the last game. -LEE. JAE. DONG. ZERG. LEGEND. HERO.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
March 09 2009 05:41 GMT
#91
your early and mid game hotkeys are EXACTLY like mine
ccou
Profile Joined December 2008
United States681 Posts
March 09 2009 23:08 GMT
#92
I'm relatively new and my two primary opponents are both zerg, my hotkeys that I try to use are as follows:

1 main army support obs/sairs/arbiter (flying things that I don't really want to attack move)
2 army
3 army
4 special force: shuttle+reaver/ht, but usually I'm sloppy and mix in other units too
5 army
6 lone scouts: probe/sair/obs
7 stargate
8 nexus
9 building probe
0 nexus

It's a lot easier for me to do 2a, 3a, 4a, 5a than to start on 1 on my keyboard. the idea is to have group 1 on follow so they don't run off places chasing random ovies or mutas only to get killed by scourge and only work with them when the battle commences.

7o8p0p is pretty easy for me. I have my gates hotkeyed to F2 and my rally hotkeyed to F3. Playing war3 for so long made it essential for me to have a building probe, now I just have to shake the habit of sending it back mining. Sometimes I'll just alt+0 my nexus to get a different probe to build.
Wake up Mr. B!
EsX_Raptor
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2802 Posts
March 09 2009 23:33 GMT
#93
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=87594
Sonu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada577 Posts
March 10 2009 00:28 GMT
#94
2 things:

1. use all ur hotkeys for gates (and nexi) and use ur mouse to control ur army.

2. use the F2-F4 for gateclusters
"I really like this wall-in, because its not a fucking wall" - DAy[9]
omninmo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2349 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-10 02:41:32
March 10 2009 01:22 GMT
#95
0 nexus
9 nexus (early game 9 is for scout probe)
8 nexus 8p9p0p is sick for probes
7-4 pick one for a gateway (early game you want all your 2-4 gates on individual keys for easy 5z6z7d8d action). + Show Spoiler +
After you have 5+ gates it is no longer feasible to hotkey them all. nor is it very efficient since one key (namely F3) can bring you to your gates.
3-1 early game army, obs, shuttle, etc


shift+f2, f3, f4 are the most important hotkeys imo.. using these is so crucial.. for me anyway when i play.

f2 defaults to your main nexus.. i usually make f3 to cover my gates.
this is where building design and sim city planning comes into focus. build your base so that all your important shit (gates, tech) is covered under F2 and F3 (obviously there are exceptions if you are trying to hide tech, etc).

use f3 and f4 for fast rally changing.

i find that hotkeying units is only useful when i attack. also you can assign f4 to a spot that you know you will soon attack.. this way you can 1a2a3a attack move/flank... then go home and macro (via f3) and then just hit f4 to go back and micro the battle.

another use for F4 outside of battles is with observers. I guess this is only in PvT but after you sneak an obs into their base situate it on the choke, or expo, or factories and assign that to F4. This way you can very quickly check him out with just one key stroke. There are many uses for the F shortcuts obviously. Use them frequently and change them frequently to suit for needs. Of course anything the F keys can do your mouse gestures can.. but think about how much time you waste mouse gesturing (even on silly fast scroll speed like I use). one F4 is instant. one mouse gesture or moving to click the minimap is almost instant... 10 F4 istrokes makes up a total of about 1 second of your overall game time. 10 mouse gestures is like 5 seconds... I hope this makes sense. Over time using F keys will save you precious seconds while over the course of the game using mouse gestures looses time. glhf
Epicfailguy
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Norway893 Posts
March 11 2009 14:27 GMT
#96
0 main nex
9 nat
8 third
7 robotics
f2 gates
f3 rally point.

0p9p8p7o 1a2a3a4a5tt gg
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
March 11 2009 16:04 GMT
#97
On March 10 2009 09:28 Sonu wrote:
2 things:

1. use all ur hotkeys for gates (and nexi) and use ur mouse to control ur army.

2. use the F2-F4 for gateclusters


I don't think the need to use all your hotkeys for gates if you're using f2-f4 for them.
shinbum
Profile Joined May 2009
Korea (South)2 Posts
May 12 2009 06:06 GMT
#98
I do 1 for nexus, 2 for ONE of the gateways, since they will all be together.
Then it's zealots first (3,4,5) and goons (5,6,7,8)
and usually mix ht's in shuttle with zealots. (pvt)
pvz, corsairs are usually 3, zealots/ht/archon 4,5,6.
._. No need for more.
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
May 12 2009 13:32 GMT
#99
On May 12 2009 15:06 shinbum wrote:
I do 1 for nexus, 2 for ONE of the gateways, since they will all be together.
Then it's zealots first (3,4,5) and goons (5,6,7,8)
and usually mix ht's in shuttle with zealots. (pvt)
pvz, corsairs are usually 3, zealots/ht/archon 4,5,6.
._. No need for more.


That's not very efficient for hotkey usage. You should do a mirror image of your keys. 8,9,0, for your Nexus production (since P is so close). 1,2,3,4 should be for your army since you can 1a2a3a4a easily (NO PUN INTENDED), and then it's suggested that you have 5,6,7 as your gateways for 5zdt6zdt7zdt or what have you. I think by late game in most instances you would end up just using your F keys for your gateway production so you can mix your hotkeys better (ie 5 = templar, 6 might be arbiter, 7 might be corsair)
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-12 14:14:17
May 12 2009 14:11 GMT
#100
On May 12 2009 22:32 Amber[LighT] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 12 2009 15:06 shinbum wrote:
I do 1 for nexus, 2 for ONE of the gateways, since they will all be together.
Then it's zealots first (3,4,5) and goons (5,6,7,8)
and usually mix ht's in shuttle with zealots. (pvt)
pvz, corsairs are usually 3, zealots/ht/archon 4,5,6.
._. No need for more.


That's not very efficient for hotkey usage. You should do a mirror image of your keys. 8,9,0, for your Nexus production (since P is so close). 1,2,3,4 should be for your army since you can 1a2a3a4a easily (NO PUN INTENDED), and then it's suggested that you have 5,6,7 as your gateways for 5zdt6zdt7zdt or what have you. I think by late game in most instances you would end up just using your F keys for your gateway production so you can mix your hotkeys better (ie 5 = templar, 6 might be arbiter, 7 might be corsair)


Actually I always find 1a to be hard; also shinbum's system has merit for multi-main race (as I do).

But I agree 1p2p3p is quite hard.
Stuck.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech173
UpATreeSC 95
BRAT_OK 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4573
Bisu 1831
Soulkey 1489
EffOrt 893
Mini 646
Larva 377
Horang2 377
ZerO 343
actioN 224
ggaemo 197
[ Show more ]
Yoon 118
Dewaltoss 115
Mind 98
Shinee 92
hero 69
Sharp 66
Sea.KH 63
sorry 62
Snow 53
Barracks 52
Hyun 43
Bale 30
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 22
Terrorterran 20
NaDa 18
Rock 16
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5444
Dendi1417
420jenkins309
XaKoH 80
League of Legends
Reynor70
Counter-Strike
fl0m3524
Fnx 692
x6flipin608
edward26
pashabiceps0
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes385
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1353
hiko969
FrodaN418
B2W.Neo404
XBOCT235
Liquid`VortiX218
Livibee195
QueenE98
TKL 80
Mew2King42
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV166
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV649
League of Legends
• Nemesis4140
• TFBlade685
Other Games
• Shiphtur489
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 37m
Patches Events
23h 37m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.