• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:49
CEST 20:49
KST 03:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9446 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 292

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 290 291 292 293 294 488 Next
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
December 31 2016 15:06 GMT
#5821
yes, I know that eveything is very-very situational in BW and I wanted the most general answer. Also these
being caught while moving means you're never gonna get a favorable engagement, so what you are doing is basically damage control. Using vultures to lay mines while retreating your tank force will usually mean that your vultures mostly die and your tanks mostly live.

alternatively if your army is superior to his, you can siege the back tanks and engage with unsieged units - this can be smart if you for example just killed most of his army and he's trying to buy time while reproducing.

are very good ideas. Thank you, Liquid'Drone.
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
December 31 2016 23:00 GMT
#5822
On December 31 2016 22:14 shall_burn wrote:
If it's TvP and I'm caught while moving, how do I react? Do I siege and lay mines ASAP, do I fight unsieged, or do I retreat?
It seems that siege tanks w/o mines around them kill themselves and die to zealots/dragoons. Unsieged, there is no friendly fire, but the firepower is so much weaker. If I retreat, tanks are so slow and I lose some (not even trade, plain lose). So what do I do?

Since Drone already answered your question directly, I want to stress the underlying issue. Something I'm sure you're aware of is you don't want to be caught while moving. The way to prevent this is to scan ahead and lay mines on your flank before you move out. If it's late game, you should snipe obs with Vessel + Goliath in a group before moving out so that Protoss doesn't know exactly when you're moving out. Also, if you keep up with your mine placement throughout the game, you should never be caught off-guard.

I haven't tried this but in theory it should work like it does in PvP - if you leave an SCV at your flank or send an SCV out before you move out, you should always be aware of Protoss moving in to catch you off-guard. As soon as you see your SCV dying on the mini map, you siege up and bring Vultures forward.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
January 01 2017 00:30 GMT
#5823
you don't want to be caught while moving

Yep, I know that. Just happened to me to-day suddenly and I was at a loss. I in general feel a bit afraid of siege mode, since it kills my units too. Quite often I fight with my army totally unsieged, just a+click. Is that super-wrong? I played P back then, and can remember getting beaten by vultures and tanks w/o siege mode.
Sero
Profile Joined October 2010
United States692 Posts
January 01 2017 00:38 GMT
#5824
Yeah, you almost always want to siege. You have to be miles ahead for a move to work.
<3 FlaSh HiyA Stats HoeJJa
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
January 01 2017 02:08 GMT
#5825
On January 01 2017 09:30 shall_burn wrote:
Show nested quote +
you don't want to be caught while moving

Yep, I know that. Just happened to me to-day suddenly and I was at a loss. I in general feel a bit afraid of siege mode, since it kills my units too. Quite often I fight with my army totally unsieged, just a+click. Is that super-wrong? I played P back then, and can remember getting beaten by vultures and tanks w/o siege mode.

As Sero said, that is not really viable in a normal situation. Terran is all about positioning. In order to prevent losing units to spalsh, I believe you should keep your Vultures close to your Tanks to kill Zealots/any Shuttle shit, and have your Tanks targeting Dragoons. That way you never lose units from splash.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
January 01 2017 10:57 GMT
#5826
oh ok thanks. I just startted getting "normal" (in terms of pace, strategy, unit composition,timings, etc.) games. So many questions.
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
January 01 2017 23:21 GMT
#5827
Is it possible to watch replays from old versions? I just came back to brood war TODAY and i am feeling quite nostalgic. I'd love to be able to watch replays back from 2000-2004. Please help
TL+ Member
McRatyn
Profile Joined January 2013
Poland901 Posts
January 02 2017 00:24 GMT
#5828
I belive you would be required to downgrade your Starcraft version to the exact one used to record a given replay
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
January 02 2017 00:58 GMT
#5829
On January 02 2017 08:21 ReachTheSky wrote:
Is it possible to watch replays from old versions? I just came back to brood war TODAY and i am feeling quite nostalgic. I'd love to be able to watch replays back from 2000-2004. Please help


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/512663-watching-old-replays

here, second post. It's a programm that will downgrade your SCBW to whatever patch you need.
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-02 18:53:22
January 02 2017 18:53 GMT
#5830


Can someone explain lasts build to me? Is it the modern version of a fake double, or what? He got his CC off two rines, much faster than an FD would (based on teamliquid wiki) and two tanks instead of one. Reaction to something he scouted, what?
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
Forcewater
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom206 Posts
January 02 2017 21:31 GMT
#5831
On January 03 2017 03:53 Dazed_Spy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZQf331Gfo&feature=youtu.be

Can someone explain lasts build to me? Is it the modern version of a fake double, or what? He got his CC off two rines, much faster than an FD would (based on teamliquid wiki) and two tanks instead of one. Reaction to something he scouted, what?


This build has been around for a little while; I first saw Mind using it a couple of years ago (here's the first example I remembered), then Last adopted it and recently Flash too. It's a stronger alternative to a defensive mines expand or FD since you get the command centre much faster, have a second tank, and can still defend against the major threats. One big advantage of using this build over a mines expand is the ability to switch into siege instead of mines very easily if you need to.
"Reddit on the other hand has always just been a box full of retarded blind puppies licking and sniffing everything they come in contact with and leaving it moist and oily" - Gamegene
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
January 02 2017 22:02 GMT
#5832
What context would I prefer to go siege over mines, in?
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
January 02 2017 22:52 GMT
#5833
I'd like to know that, too. I would think anything involving many goons and fast obs (or a zealot or two to soak up the few mines).

PS: Man, Last nailed that DT-drop-defense...
Cryoc
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany914 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-02 23:23:43
January 02 2017 23:07 GMT
#5834
Versus 2 gate opening you would go siege mode I think, as you cannot really go down the ramp without dying in that case. I played Minds variation alot when I was training for the TLSC Qualifiers and repeatedly lost to 2 gate goon pressure trying to secure my natural.
In the Mind game you linked he only held the 2 gate because of bad goon micro and because P stopped producing goons after he had 4, otherwise he had would have had to deal with 6 goons when his vulture is ready.
http://www.twitch.tv/cryoc
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-02 23:19:40
January 02 2017 23:12 GMT
#5835
Sounds good. You have 2 tanks sieged asap instead of the feeble one, to really drive out the goons. Meanwhile you can build a few more SCVs from the second CC already. The lack of gas for a 3rd tank aka unupgraded vultures seem like a drop of bitterness though. But they can still tank goon-shots and be used later on I guess.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
January 05 2017 22:29 GMT
#5836
I know this is not a strategy question, but ill still ask, because it's a simple question. I'm looking for a kind of BW related vid

There was a short clip of the TL stream bar where it would zoom in slowly to the sayle stream while playing the beginning of this song + Show Spoiler +
. Does anyone have a link?
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
January 05 2017 23:14 GMT
#5837
Dude, really?

I read your post.

I scrolled up.

I typed "Sayle" into the search bar.

BAM
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-06 17:26:31
January 06 2017 15:44 GMT
#5838
Question for Protoss players...

In about what percentage of games do you find yourself buying Obs Speed? (or Sight, for that matter)

% in PvT?

In PvZ?

In PvP?
User was warned for being hilarious
Comodore
Profile Joined July 2013
Brazil51 Posts
January 06 2017 16:59 GMT
#5839
PvT always.
PvZ always in late game if i dont die first, and range vision if zerg has spores lurkers and sim city.
PvP I never upgrade obs
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
January 06 2017 18:23 GMT
#5840
Are you supposed to get the +50 energy upgrade on science vessels, if your going bio/sk style late game in tvz?
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
Prev 1 290 291 292 293 294 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 266
BRAT_OK 94
JuggernautJason69
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 892
Shuttle 674
Zeus 85
soO 45
Hyun 42
ToSsGirL 31
scan(afreeca) 24
Bishop 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva2230
420jenkins658
canceldota6
Counter-Strike
fl0m4896
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3213
Liquid`Hasu565
Other Games
FrodaN887
KnowMe212
Livibee168
Pyrionflax154
QueenE70
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick636
StarCraft 2
angryscii 36
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 89
• 3DClanTV 56
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach98
• FirePhoenix29
• 80smullet 20
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1783
Other Games
• imaqtpie723
• Shiphtur661
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 11m
Patches Events
20h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
OSC
1d 4h
OSC
1d 17h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.