• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:50
CEST 05:50
KST 12:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10167 users

Pro and cons of acceleration - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
September 12 2003 16:12 GMT
#21
On September 13 2003 01:00 FroZZoR wrote:
I use full mouse speed no accel, used to use accel, but it was a little harder to be accurate. But if u can, by all means go for it? Btw i don't even move my hand when playing, only wrist


same.
why so 진지해?
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
September 12 2003 16:14 GMT
#22
On September 13 2003 01:00 FroZZoR wrote:
I use full mouse speed no accel, used to use accel, but it was a little harder to be accurate. But if u can, by all means go for it? Btw i don't even move my hand when playing, only wrist


you cant move your wrist without moving your hand O_o

acceleration is some program that makes your mouse move faster or something?
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
September 12 2003 16:18 GMT
#23
He means the heel of his hand stays in one spot.

Accel makes your cursor move faster if you move your mouse fast, and slower if you move your mouse slow. So by covering the same distance on the mousepad in a slow or fast action the cursor will move a different length.
why so 진지해?
orca
Profile Joined January 2003
Israel469 Posts
September 12 2003 16:51 GMT
#24
how do i turn accel. on and off in winXP? the closest thing i found was "Enhance Pointer Precision". is that it?
Post edited for grammar.
LuckyCharm
Profile Joined January 2003
United Kingdom228 Posts
September 12 2003 18:54 GMT
#25
On September 13 2003 01:18 [pG]Rekrul wrote:
He means the heel of his hand stays in one spot.


Doesn't everyone do it like this? Not that I've ever watched anyone play but it seems the natural thing to do. Were there people at WCG or something who moved their elbow and hence whole forearm to control the mouse in games?
My hearts a tart
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
September 12 2003 18:59 GMT
#26
On September 13 2003 03:54 LuckyCharm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2003 01:18 [pG]Rekrul wrote:
He means the heel of his hand stays in one spot.


Doesn't everyone do it like this? Not that I've ever watched anyone play but it seems the natural thing to do. Were there people at WCG or something who moved their elbow and hence whole forearm to control the mouse in games?


Yes, slow people with lower cursor speed have to do this.
why so 진지해?
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
September 12 2003 19:40 GMT
#27
On September 13 2003 03:59 [pG]Rekrul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2003 03:54 LuckyCharm wrote:
On September 13 2003 01:18 [pG]Rekrul wrote:
He means the heel of his hand stays in one spot.


Doesn't everyone do it like this? Not that I've ever watched anyone play but it seems the natural thing to do. Were there people at WCG or something who moved their elbow and hence whole forearm to control the mouse in games?


Yes, slow people with lower cursor speed have to do this.


me =]
x[ReaPeR]x
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3447 Posts
September 12 2003 19:48 GMT
#28
I only use the heel of my hand.
ILoveOOv ownZ everyone!!! ~ Lamer List: Mynock, naventus
ObsoleteLogic
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3676 Posts
September 12 2003 19:50 GMT
#29
I used to use acceleration, but I misclicked a lot. I do better without it (which isn't much improvement, but, hey)
sMi.Silent // Siz)Silent
VerSerK
Profile Joined August 2003
Argentina326 Posts
September 12 2003 20:02 GMT
#30
Where can i find the acceleration under win xp ?, i dunno if i have it or no, i have full mouse speed
To much GosunesS
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
September 12 2003 21:05 GMT
#31
On September 12 2003 23:54 tomson wrote:
Bill307, this is the kind of post I was looking forward to. I've also heard that argument about linear relationships, but I don't think it's something you can't overcome. After a few weeks all moves should be done on a subliminal level. There might be more to it thought, like some boundaries coded in us which we are uncapable to surmount. However it is also worth pointing out that, afaik acceleration is quite common among FPP players (i'm pretty sure fatal1ty used it), where precision is crucial.

No matter how trivial it might look, a benefit is a benefit. And of course there's no problem in clicking on gateways, yet it would be helpful if you could increase the speed and precision of doing such things. It's the small things that count.

__
tomsOn


Wow, never knew that. I would guess that it allows them to do large turns and move their aim very far with a small, quick mouse movement, without setting the speed so high that it's impossible to be accurate even with your smallest possible mouse movements. However, I still can't see how the acceleration would be of any real benefit. Maybe I just need to really experience the difference for myself first =/.

One thing seems pretty apparent, though: acceleration doesn't deserve to be treated solely as a performance inhibitor, which is how I think most people view it (including myself before reading this thread).
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
September 12 2003 21:06 GMT
#32
On September 13 2003 05:02 VerSerK wrote:
Where can i find the acceleration under win xp ?, i dunno if i have it or no, i have full mouse speed


I believe this depends on what kind of mouse you have.
baal
Profile Joined March 2003
10708 Posts
September 12 2003 21:19 GMT
#33
acceleration is GREAT, it gives speed and do not reduce precition cuz if you move slow there will be no acceleration, its just SO usefull.
Im back, in pog form!
Shockey
Profile Joined January 2003
United States2615 Posts
September 12 2003 22:04 GMT
#34
mouse speed: high: acceleration: high.
Dick
Profile Joined October 2002
United States717 Posts
September 12 2003 22:06 GMT
#35
Quake 3 players did use acceleration. In fact, fatal1ty's config was something like the lowest mouse speed with 1,3 acceleration.

I also believe acceleration could improbe precition in sc
Boxer will be in the US on the 16th - perhaps to give advice to South Korean President Roh, who is on state visit to the US this week, on how to handle any surprise tank pushes by North Koreans
Guillaume84
Profile Joined March 2003
Canada86 Posts
September 12 2003 22:35 GMT
#36
I don't play with a mouse

It annoys me
Dick
Profile Joined October 2002
United States717 Posts
September 12 2003 23:26 GMT
#37
WTH OMG !!! precision precition presision !!

I NEED EBONICS LANGUAGE LESSONS SOON !!!
Boxer will be in the US on the 16th - perhaps to give advice to South Korean President Roh, who is on state visit to the US this week, on how to handle any surprise tank pushes by North Koreans
dork
Profile Joined September 2003
Canada2207 Posts
September 13 2003 03:17 GMT
#38
I think it's mostly preference and what you're used to..
I like low accel, and medium mouse speed
staring at the world through the rear view
STIMEY d okgm fish
Profile Joined August 2003
Canada6140 Posts
September 13 2003 03:26 GMT
#39
with accel, you have the option of moving the mouse a smaller distance by moving more slowly. but i always want to move the same ideal speed, never slower.

anyone else hold the mouse basically with their thumb and ring finger holding its sides with the index and middle finger kind of clawed?
hasuwar
Profile Joined April 2003
7365 Posts
Last Edited: 2003-09-13 03:35:14
September 13 2003 03:29 GMT
#40
I keep mine on low acceleration, after using it for a while you get used to the speed, and can control it just as you would without it. I like it, it helps me do things quicker (which was my original plan when I decided to go from middle mouse speed, to full bore with low accel :p) I tried going even faster, to the highest acceleration, but I find that I can't even slightly control it on that speed.. the pointer just jumps around like a crack head in a jail cell..so I switched back. I don't know why pro gamers wouldn't use it, I figured they did..seeing their mouse jump around a thousand places at once

Read a few other posts..I keep the heel of my hand in one spot too, then just push the mouse around with my fingers. Call me crazy, but I never noticed anything actually accelerating even from the beginning when I started using it..it just seems like it's a faster mouse speed. Maybe low is just so low it's unnoticable. I guess that'd explain why I couldn't get used to high acceleration too.
Diablo3 ID: Exalted#1710 -------R.I.P. http://hasuwar.isgsa.org. Much love to Toptalent
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings46
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 189
PiLiPiLi 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3645
ViBE138
Bale 32
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
Counter-Strike
taco 555
Other Games
summit1g7231
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft459
C9.Mang0290
febbydoto3
Sick1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
BasetradeTV172
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP114
• davetesta28
• practicex 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1103
• Shiphtur415
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
6h 10m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
8h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.