• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:23
CEST 20:23
KST 03:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9889 users

Training Excercise for Starcraft - Page 6

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
BlackStar
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Netherlands3029 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-01 18:31:43
April 01 2008 18:30 GMT
#101
Rather than spamming I would recommend something else.

Take a normal map. Remove winning conditions so you can play without an opponent. For example python. Then turn one of the islands into a place where you need to micro an SCV against a zealot chasing it.

At the same time you need to get to 200 as fast as possible. Never get stuck on supply. Never have too many minerals, etc.

Maybe add something else as well. Maybe you need to respond to pings or do some other simple task. But maybe the third thing is for more advanced people.

Then, try to switch between different tasks as much as possible. Also switch around when you have that rare free moment. Use all 10 hotkeys, etc etc.


I don't believe in spam. If you need to train muscle memory then practice 1a1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9a0 or 5d6d7d8 or something just outside the game.
useLess
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4781 Posts
April 01 2008 18:34 GMT
#102
Im gonna give this a try. I was a fairly decent player up until half a year ago, when I dropped playing BW to focus on academics. My APM was a consistent 120, but its dropped considerably by now. My macro also suffered; I recently played a ZvT match, and even with low drone count, my mineral count nearly broke 1000 D:
Moonlight Shadow
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
April 01 2008 18:52 GMT
#103
when I came back to SC (when SC2 was announced :p) my APM was something like 50 as zerg. as I played more pretty casually without trying to spam, my apm reached and is at about 120-140 average with peaks at like 250. it was nice to see my APM increase when I got a better feel for the hotkeys and game sense, but when I've been trying to increase my APM without spamming some things that helped me were:
psychology! after analyzing replays on BWchart I realized when I was peaking during exciting moments that I did infact have the potential to be faster. so I thought to myself that I'd try playing like I did in the peak moments when I have things to do. a big part of being fast imo is always knowing the next step, you have to think fast about what actions you want to do constantly ahead of time. this helped me at least, even though I'm still at 130 apmish without spamming,
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
April 02 2008 00:34 GMT
#104
My apm before was 130, now its 150 but Ive only tried two games. So with spam im only 20 ahead of where i was...meaning my hands are just slow. How frustrating.
Liquid | SKT
MoOnrai
Profile Joined February 2008
United States52 Posts
April 02 2008 00:53 GMT
#105
i respect that idea good idea
Been runnin for to long its time to give me mine.
geno
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1404 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-02 02:18:08
April 02 2008 02:17 GMT
#106
I tried this idea, but then realized I didn't actually spam much after the 5 minute mark. My APM and VAPM (on BWChart... VAPM = EAPM right?) were only 2 off, at 183 and 181 respectively.

During game I was using APM Detector (which I found in one of the resource threads). That program had me clocked at nearly 250+ the entire game, going from 300-400 during the early game (when I was spamming).

How do people usually measure their APM and effective APM? Which program is most consistent and widely used?
Equinox_kr
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States7395 Posts
April 02 2008 02:20 GMT
#107
It used to be BWL but nowadays I just use the APM detector thing even though it's quite off.

ADV has an in-game meter as well but I'm not sure about how accurate the thing is.
^-^
[X]Ken_D
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States4653 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-02 02:24:15
April 02 2008 02:22 GMT
#108
I do that once in a while against the cpu mainly to practice builds, timing and macro. It didn't matter what race or what the cpu was doing.

I use APMLive to see my apm ingame.
[X]Domain - I just do the website. Nothing more.
iCCup.Trent
Profile Joined May 2005
Argentina469 Posts
April 02 2008 02:40 GMT
#109
I've tried this for 2 days now, I guess I fall inside the "normal" boundaries:

1) Can't stay in 300 APM, dropping after say 20', averaging 250 APM
2) Resource count controlled most of the time, but often poor decisions in order to reach the goal. 3) Resource count gets near impossible to control after say 20'

Frustration is a bitch. Tough to say to self: "Perfectly normal, will improve in due time"
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
April 02 2008 04:24 GMT
#110
APMAlert for 1.15.1 on Chaoslauncher still works with 1.15.2, so I just use that. A simple apm counter that makes this annoying ass noise when you go below your set goal. (You can change the noise though ^^).
UNFUCK YOURSELF
tec27
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States3715 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-02 05:08:27
April 02 2008 05:07 GMT
#111
On April 02 2008 13:24 Nitrogen23 wrote:
APMAlert for 1.15.1 on Chaoslauncher still works with 1.15.2, so I just use that. A simple apm counter that makes this annoying ass noise when you go below your set goal. (You can change the noise though ^^).
Update your plugins man, I released APMAlert for 1.15.2 like last month

Edit: And APMAlert measures over the whole game, so the APM will flatten out as time goes on. I guess I should make two settings, one for a more dynamic reading and one for a more static reading. I'll work on that a bit later
Can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?
Kage
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
India788 Posts
April 02 2008 06:47 GMT
#112
I really like this post. Will try to work on this for the next one week and see how it goes.
Thanks a lot BlueIris!

lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
April 02 2008 08:51 GMT
#113
On April 02 2008 11:17 geno wrote:
I tried this idea, but then realized I didn't actually spam much after the 5 minute mark. My APM and VAPM (on BWChart... VAPM = EAPM right?) were only 2 off, at 183 and 181 respectively.

During game I was using APM Detector (which I found in one of the resource threads). That program had me clocked at nearly 250+ the entire game, going from 300-400 during the early game (when I was spamming).

How do people usually measure their APM and effective APM? Which program is most consistent and widely used?


VAPM is not EAPM, it's short for valid APM and it just doesn't count the actions when you try to build a unit and you don't have the resources for it(i.e. invalid actions).
I'll call Nada.
iCCup.Trent
Profile Joined May 2005
Argentina469 Posts
April 02 2008 17:25 GMT
#114
On April 02 2008 17:51 lololol wrote:
VAPM is not EAPM, it's short for valid APM and it just doesn't count the actions when you try to build a unit and you don't have the resources for it(i.e. invalid actions).

What is EAPM? (Sorry for the OT)
XCetron
Profile Joined November 2006
5226 Posts
April 02 2008 17:28 GMT
#115
Effective APM, aka not spams or unnecessary clicks.
Response
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States1938 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-02 17:34:01
April 02 2008 17:33 GMT
#116
On April 03 2008 02:28 XCetron wrote:
Effective APM, aka not spams or unnecessary clicks.


but you have to realize that the effective apm can still be on the lower side of what you are really at because some actions you need to do multiple times in a row tend to get lost as well

*edit* from what i understand of how it works
the REAL ReSpOnSe
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
April 02 2008 19:46 GMT
#117
On April 02 2008 14:07 tec27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2008 13:24 Nitrogen23 wrote:
APMAlert for 1.15.1 on Chaoslauncher still works with 1.15.2, so I just use that. A simple apm counter that makes this annoying ass noise when you go below your set goal. (You can change the noise though ^^).
Update your plugins man, I released APMAlert for 1.15.2 like last month

Edit: And APMAlert measures over the whole game, so the APM will flatten out as time goes on. I guess I should make two settings, one for a more dynamic reading and one for a more static reading. I'll work on that a bit later


Ohshi
UNFUCK YOURSELF
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
April 02 2008 20:51 GMT
#118
I just tried this as zerg. It feels relieving to go down to like.. no mins + gas, but it is so irritating when you run out of supply. Forcing APM doesn't work when you have nothing to do... I guess it all comes with practice. I only boosted my average by about 25
210->235 =\. I am gonna try this as a different race and then see how it works out. Wish me luck.
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
April 02 2008 20:53 GMT
#119
I've done this a few hours for like 3 days, and my apm has already increased a lot... by like 100 ^^.
UNFUCK YOURSELF
ScarFace
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1175 Posts
April 02 2008 21:44 GMT
#120
Thanks to the OP for this! It sounds like a really good idea, I think I'm going to do this. I have a lot of free time, even more than two hours a day . So this should probably work well with me. Its simple and logical.
Can you dig it?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 37m
Stellar Fest
18h 37m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.