• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:47
CEST 03:47
KST 10:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7690 users

Before and After: An Interview with Dewalt

Forum Index > BW General
18 CommentsPost a Reply

Before and After: An Interview with Dewalt

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
May 23rd, 2019 20:43 GMT


VNSL Finals Recap Logo
When the progaming scene of Brood War was just beginning to wind down in 2010, it was only the beginning for Russian Protoss, Andrey "Dewalt" Belyaev. The auspicious beginnings of Dewalt were marked by his win in 2012 of Defiler Tour 40, the premier online Russian tournament. Since then, he continued to make headlines with the most tournament games played of any foreigner. With 20 Top 4 finishes in 2018 and 13 Top 4 finishes in 2019 already, he's become a tour de force in the foreign scene.

Unfortunately, he has yet to win a recent major tournament. But his hunger for success and work ethic have taken him to Korea to finally take a step into the upper echelon. Initially, he wanted to play in the ASL7 qualifiers but unfortunately missed the qualifier date by a few days. Not to be so easily deterred though, Dewalt stuck it out in Korea for a two month boot camp to learn from the best.

The first interview part of this interview was conducted shortly after Dewalt arrived in Korea. Because of the language barrier, Dewalt was not able to accurately express all of his thoughts in English, so we did a second interview shortly after in Russian to check up on him. At this point, Dewalt has already finished his two month stay in Korea, but it's quite clear that the Russian had an eye opening and instructive experience! Let's get to it!






Hello Dewalt, and thank you for doing this interview. To begin, why don't you introduce yourself?

Hello everyone, my name is Andrei Belyaev. I am 24 years old and I am a StarCraft player from Russia.


Let's get right into your visit to Korea. How do you like Korea so far? Are there any parts of the culture or people that stand out to you?

Korea is an amazing country. So far I really like everything here except for the food. It is very unique, especially for people from Russia. In terms of people and culture, I have not yet identified any features, although I have not communicated in the real life closely with any Koreans.


Have you tried soju? How does it compare to alcohol in Russia?

I tried soju. The taste is very different from vodka in Russia. For me, soju tastes like bitter medicine.


What made you want to play StarCraft so much that you wanted to play in Korea?

I honestly do not know what makes me play StarCraft. I just like it, get pleasure from it. And when I realized that this could be profitable, I decided to go to Korea and try my hand here.


Have you learned anything from the Koreans?

Since I have not been able to communicate much with Koreans who know English, I haven’t learned anything special yet.


Tell me about the process of planning your move to Korea.

I began planning my trip to Korea even before the start of ASL6. Me and some other foreigners planned to get to the ASL6 qualifiers with the support of Afreeca, but this fell through. After that, I decided to go alone to ASL7, but since there were no exact qualifying dates...I analyzed the start of ASL3 and ASL5, thought that the qualifiers would be in late February or early March, and timed my stay in Korea according to that.


What is the next event in Korea that you’re playing in?

I have already agreed to participate in KCM Race Wars Challenger. I will try to do my best to play in the main KCM Race Wars event. Also, with the start of a new ladder season, a new season of KSL may begin. If this happens, I will definitely take part in the qualifiers.


What places have you been to in Korea?

Bongeunsa Temple, Korea National Museum, Racoon Cafe, Dongdaemun Design Plaza, Lotte Tower, city hall, and the Trick Eye Museum.


Let's talk more about StarCraft now. What makes you different from other foreigners?

It is difficult to talk about yourself. I don’t even know. It may be that, unlike the majority of non-Koreans, I am a new school player. I learned to play on the video of the Korean pro-scene of 2009-2010. I do not have any specific example of the ideal player that I try to be like in the game. I try to learn specific things from different players. For example, I learn multitasking from Bisu, macromanagement from Best or JangBi, or micro control from Snow. And I'm trying to combine everything in my own gameplay.

I don't really know if this somehow makes me different from other foreigners, but it’s how I play.


How do you practice and prepare for certain people or a tournament?

I analyze the past games of my opponents and try to study and play as many games as possible on certain maps. I think maps is the most important thing.


What do you focus on when competing in tournaments? To be 1st place, get money, take it slow?

On different days, it’s different. But since StarCraft is a job for me now, my first thought is getting into the prizes, and of course I think about winning. I analyze who my opponents will be in the next round, think about the choice of maps, and potential strategies.


Where do you see StarCraft in the foreign scene five years from now? Do you think more foreigners like yourself and Cadenzie will come to Korea to play StarCraft?

I am not a prophet and I cannot think for 5 years ahead ^^. I heard that eonzerg is planning to go to Korea. But honestly, I live today and think first of all about myself. While StarCraft still brings me pleasure, I will play. I do not think about what others will do much.


Do you have any words for your friends or fans?

Let's leave this as the end, I'm not very good at these words (smiles)







Hello, Dewalt, thank you for doing another interview. After 2 long months in Korea, how do you feel being home in Russia?

I fell in love with Korea instantly—on the first day—and, to be honest, I didn’t want to return [home]. Returning after a clear and dry Korean weather to a dull country full of snow, mud, and terrible roads didn’t feel so great.


How did you treat your trip to Korea? Was it as a job, vacation, or something else?

The trip was a job. Since I couldn’t participate in the offline qualifiers, my goal was to maximize my skill and play as many games as possible in the short period of time. Because of that, I have not explored Seoul extensively...only the main attractions.


You're the second foreign StarCraft player to come to Korea after Cadenzie since 2012. Having to compete with the amateur and ex-pro scene, what sort of success were you expecting?

Of course I knew that I will not be able to play on the same level with ex-pros. My goal was and is to get closer to that level of play. The skill difference between Koreans and foreigners is huge, and this is due to the fact that the Korean players had regular trainings in the teamhouses.

I never played StarCraft professionally...it was always on the second or third priority in my life. Basically, that trip to Korea was a starting point for me to start playing this game seriously.


Not many people take great risks to pursue their interests. Do you feel like a changed man after having taken such a risk? How do you feel being one of two foreigners in the last seven years to compete in Korea?

As a human, I haven’t changed. The only thing is that I had an opportunity to live in different country with their habits and traditions, and now the shortcomings of my country are more visible. I haven’t thought about second question to be honest. I don’t care much who is before or after me. My goal is to become the best foreigner player and qualify for one of the major tournaments in Korea: ASL or KSL. And, according to plan, I’m getting closer.


Do you feel like your skill has improved after Korea? Have you learned anything new?

It’s hard to say at the moment. StarCraft is a game where you don’t feel today’s training until later. Overall, I think yes, my skill has slightly improved. I haven’t learned anything new, but in games with ex-pros and amateurs, new mistakes or fairly obvious old ones can be observed.


Can you share what your practice regimen looked like on an average day?

Nothing special. I woke up, ate breakfast, worked out, and played ladder. Then lunch and a city walk, evening ladder with stream and sponsored matches, dinner, and sleep.


Every person experiences their skill and progress as a player growing stagnant or plateauing. How have you dealt with it?

I don’t think about that either. The main thing is the discipline. Even when it seems that the skill does not improve and you don’t want to strain and train seriously, you need to overcome yourself and continue to strive for the goal.


I completely agree with you. How would you describe the atmosphere in the ASL audience?

In terms of emotions, it’s fun. But attending two times were enough for me. In terms of gameplay, it’s better to watch on the stream since you can instantly take some notes regarding games.


The Korean community took notice of you and flooded your Twitch chat. What sponsored games have you played and against who?

Unfortunately, I had sponsored games only in the last few weeks of my time in Korea. I have played against Canata (SKT1), ByungSoo (Samsung KHAN), Nal_rA, Piano. Most games were against ByungSoo.


We saw Shine in your Twitch chat. Did he help with your training?

Yeah, I met him in real life. I have asked about some game moments, and we are also playing together in the “Jeez Weekly” tournament on Sundays.


Besides sponsored games, You played in a KCM Race Wars event. How did that go and who did you play?

It was awful, I was super nervous. In the first game, I lost to Cadenzie :D


What is one of the most culturally different or shocking parts of Korea compared to Russia?

Koreans are very calm about everything. There are some things which are commonplace and not very pleasant, such as sneezing without covering your mouth in public places and not holding back burps. Only those moments come to my mind right now.

And they don’t wear any hats when it’s really cold outside. Everytime without hats. I couldn’t do that.


Probably not to spoil their hairstyle.

Exactly what Shine said. And they all drink cold coffee. We don’t have that, generally.


What about food? You said in the previous interview that you don't really like the food in Korea. Is that still the case?

I like Korean food. When I mentioned that, I didn’t get to taste everything. Korean BBQ is wonderful. By the end of my trip, I got used to spicy food.


You mentioned visiting some places in Korea. Is it hard to communicate and get around without speaking Korean?

No, it’s pretty simple. Seoul has excellent infrastructure in terms of public transportation. Everything is clear and logical.


Alright, thank you very much for the interview, Dewalt! We wish you luck to qualify for the ASL and we are hoping to see you playing on the official stream. We’re rooting for you!

Thank you very much!







Dewalt streams regularly on Twitch! If you want to see one of the best Brood War players outside of Korea, tune in and support!




Interview: Ty2, v1
Graphics: v1
Editor: EsportsJohn


Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
CadenZie
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)545 Posts
May 23 2019 21:04 GMT
#2
Wow I'm not even used to some of the spicy food yet^^
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9559 Posts
May 23 2019 21:37 GMT
#3
Great interview! Seems like an awesome experience for a StarCraft player to go through.
There is one question that I hoped to see, but unfortunately it was not asked. Does he have plans to go back to Korea?
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
May 23 2019 22:14 GMT
#4
It's too bad that he missed the qualifiers for ASL7, but it sounds like he enjoyed his time there so that's good to hear.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Frauenarzt
Profile Joined April 2006
Germany22 Posts
May 24 2019 00:21 GMT
#5
i read that male players who lost to tossgirl in tv games retired after that..
so my question is why does dewalt still play after losing to cadenzie ?
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
May 24 2019 01:51 GMT
#6
Really good interview, thanks! I'm going to check out his stream more.
KTY
iRk-AGge
Profile Joined October 2017
Sweden400 Posts
May 24 2019 09:12 GMT
#7
<3
PorkSoda
Profile Joined September 2015
170 Posts
May 24 2019 10:09 GMT
#8
Great interview!
M3t4PhYzX
Profile Joined March 2019
Poland4289 Posts
May 24 2019 10:24 GMT
#9
Pretty interesting stuff, thanks a lot.
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-05-24 16:16:49
May 24 2019 16:14 GMT
#10
cool interview!
Broodwar for life!
DSK
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
England1110 Posts
May 24 2019 18:22 GMT
#11
Nice interview, thank you Ty2/v1 and Dewalt.
**@ YT: SC2POVs at https://www.youtube.com/c/SC2POVsTV | https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/SC2POVs @**
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
May 24 2019 19:15 GMT
#12
Dewalt and Lancer, the shield of Kremlin! Nice to see players that still enjoy game and dedicated to it.
sunbeams are never made like me...
ne4aJIb
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Russian Federation3209 Posts
May 24 2019 21:26 GMT
#13
What about Eonzerg? :D Good job, Dewalt!
Bisu,Best,Stork,Jangbi and Flash, Fantasy, Leta, Light and Jaedong, Hydra, Zero, Soulkey assemble in ACE now!
fearthequeen
Profile Joined November 2011
United States788 Posts
May 25 2019 09:39 GMT
#14
This is incredible. I have been away from BW for awhile and it's amazing to see there are foreigners still striving for that top level of play. Congrats DeWalt and thanks for the interview all. Always enjoyed watching/playing against you DeWalt.
NAKR`flying
AntiHack
Profile Joined January 2009
Switzerland553 Posts
May 25 2019 17:15 GMT
#15
Very interesting insights on a foreigners prospective! Hopefully more foreigners will have the opportunity to visit or even better, move to Korea!
"I am very tired of your grammar errors" - Zoler[MB]
Siz)Beggar
Profile Joined May 2008
United States339 Posts
May 28 2019 01:41 GMT
#16
On May 24 2019 09:21 Frauenarzt wrote:
i read that male players who lost to tossgirl in tv games retired after that..
so my question is why does dewalt still play after losing to cadenzie ?


you read that they lost to tossgirl, whats that have to do with cadenzie ?
March.
Profile Joined April 2019
4 Posts
May 28 2019 05:41 GMT
#17
Feels so good to see Foreigners going the big way

Thanks for the piece of content!
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
May 28 2019 12:03 GMT
#18
On May 24 2019 09:21 Frauenarzt wrote:
i read that male players who lost to tossgirl in tv games retired after that..
so my question is why does dewalt still play after losing to cadenzie ?


That was secret hidden KeSPA rule, nowadays it's outdated.
sunbeams are never made like me...
Shana
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Indonesia1814 Posts
May 28 2019 20:22 GMT
#19
Go Dewalt!
Believing in what lies ahead. | That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings104
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 146
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 290
Bale 15
Terrorterran 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm215
League of Legends
Doublelift5836
JimRising 778
Counter-Strike
minikerr22
Other Games
summit1g12186
C9.Mang0345
PiLiPiLi12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1035
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP154
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 14m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 14m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 14m
Replay Cast
21h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.