• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:08
CEST 15:08
KST 22:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7789 users

Larva's Open Letter to Fans and Zotac Players - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
SpringWind
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
China231 Posts
December 06 2017 09:01 GMT
#61
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
December 06 2017 09:29 GMT
#62
To be honest, I am very impressed by Larva's social wisdom, not only is he a good BW player, he surely knows how to entertain his audience, and (in a neutral sense) how to manipulate information and public opinion to favour him. This post is not meant to undermine Larva's position, but is meant to analyse the entire incident and to address the elephant in the room that everyone seems to have forgotten: if a public humiliation (even if it was not meant to be a humiliation) deserves an apology, then it should deserve a public apology instead of a private one, otherwise it would strike the victim as insincere.

I tried asking a few Chinese players to dig for some info regarding what exactly happened. According to what they described, Legend said he "sat there, not knowing what to do for half an hour" after the match (let's assume the translations are correct, as of now I cannot confirm this), this appears to indicate that Larva did not apologise right after the match, probably not realising how his actions affected Legend, and that Legend likely participated in the tournament with a very serious mindset, otherwise he would just leave with a smile. Larva likely realised the severity of the issue later and decided to apologise to Legend, only to be met with refusal. From a moral perspective, a public humiliation deserves a public apology, I can hardly imagine how a private apology after a public humiliation could work out for Legend (assuming that he is TRULY offended, it appears that this is the case in Chinese culture), therefore Legend's reason for refusing Larva's private apology does not seem to be entirely unjustified. Legend probably thought that Larva's offer wasn't sincere enough, thus rejected it.

I think if it were a Westerner all of this wouldn't have happened due to different cultural customs and norms, but unfortunately this wasn't the case. Larva, likely accidentally or coincidentally, picked the wrong candidate for his shows. What's more unfortunate is that the Western audience has been easily manipulated by Larva's exploitation of the cultural gap between Western and Eastern cultures. Larva probably knew that in Western culture his behaviours would be less of a deal, especially in a show match, therefore Westerners would likely fail to realise how offensive his actions were in the eyes of Legend. Coupled with Legend's refusal of Larva's private apology, Larva has successfully painted himself as the honourable victim of a scandal, and portrayed Legend as a narrow-minded, egoistic loser who is too butthurt to act like a man. I make this deduction based on my experience as a fan of Eastern culture, so no, don't ask me which animes are good to watch otherwise you will spend the rest of your life infront of your computer...But you can start with Death Note.

Once again, I have to say I am really amazed by Larva's emotional intelligence and showmanship, I have certainly learned a lot from observing this incident. However until I can dig up more information from Legend's side, conclusions should not be given regarding this incident, but since I do not know Legend nor do I know anyone who does know him personally I guess we will never have an answer.

May the incident be settled by mature and responsible responses from both sides...
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 09:42:43
December 06 2017 09:41 GMT
#63
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
jinjin5000
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1559 Posts
December 06 2017 09:43 GMT
#64
I think you posted on wrong thread buddy. The other thread is to discuss that. This one was letter
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
December 06 2017 10:08 GMT
#65
Ah yes, I was meant to address the letter as Larva seemed to have deliberately left out Legend for some reason. Thanks for the reminder, I will repost on the other thread.
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
s_k_911
Profile Joined August 2008
China363 Posts
December 06 2017 10:08 GMT
#66
On December 06 2017 18:29 FoR_BlueS wrote:
To be honest, I am very impressed by Larva's social wisdom, not only is he a good BW player, he surely knows how to entertain his audience, 。。。 from both sides...


here is what I heard about the timestamp from lx and his friends and this forum:

local time 21:00 or more, game over,commentors and larva do interview. zotac twiter type larva champion

lx's friends tell lx about the foot game

in 30mins,lx sit still,no move ,and type the weibo

in next 2hour,china webs media made a lot of news about the humiliating thing

local time 1:00(second day),the staff(translator?) tell lx larva's word:"if you want an apology,I can apology to you in privite ". lx deny.

then after 3hours, zotac china say ban larva. zotac twiter delete larva champion ?

after lots' of hours,zotac us say we no ban larva. and then larva open letter.
apm200 terran play for fun
kissayumi
Profile Joined August 2006
China6 Posts
December 06 2017 14:53 GMT
#67
On December 06 2017 18:41 FoR_BlueS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...


Take a look at #57 and then think again who is keeping nationalism.
kissayumi
Profile Joined August 2006
China6 Posts
December 06 2017 15:07 GMT
#68
On December 06 2017 16:43 jinjin5000 wrote:
Anyways, if you guys don't quite understand why Chinese are outraged, its the mindset of "Humiliate a countryman, spit on entire nation". This mindset is common in Asia, especially japan/korea/China, but china has sheer amount of number despite the whole firewall stuff

If small off comment that may be remotely negative on china on YouTube channel run by a white dude can spark outrage from thousands of Chinese, with tons of websites running article "white person talks shit on china", imagine what THIS did.

If you want to know more about it, I suggest you watch channel: ADVchina. Amazing YouTube channel who speaks without any qualms about China and living there. They cover this topic often. Give this video a watch.




Lol I don't know why you always want to emphasis this thing to a national level while actually it is not. Tell me in what other sport you can do such bad activity without a punishment and long suspend. So you think show that BM to your opponent is normal? Show match? Did you see players in Barcelona do that kind of thing during their friendly match? Did you see the same thing happen when any NBA team is in their global show match? Did you see the same thing happen when Chinese Pingpong player in a large lead? No you didn't and you will not because it is a normal rule that you SHOULD respect your opponent. You always mention "Chinese" is over reacting, is it true? I feel you are more excited because it is you not other people take legend as a representative of "Chinese" and you are imaging Larva is fooling "CHINESE player" and makes you excited. This is no good and not funny. And do not pretend to know China well and trying to sell your bias view. Again, stop making this thing "national".
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
December 06 2017 15:16 GMT
#69
On December 06 2017 19:08 s_k_911 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 18:29 FoR_BlueS wrote:
To be honest, I am very impressed by Larva's social wisdom, not only is he a good BW player, he surely knows how to entertain his audience, 。。。 from both sides...


here is what I heard about the timestamp from lx and his friends and this forum:

local time 21:00 or more, game over,commentors and larva do interview. zotac twiter type larva champion

lx's friends tell lx about the foot game

in 30mins,lx sit still,no move ,and type the weibo

in next 2hour,china webs media made a lot of news about the humiliating thing

local time 1:00(second day),the staff(translator?) tell lx larva's word:"if you want an apology,I can apology to you in privite ". lx deny.

then after 3hours, zotac china say ban larva. zotac twiter delete larva champion ?

after lots' of hours,zotac us say we no ban larva. and then larva open letter.


If that is the case, then Larva probably didn't realise the severity of the issue to Legend and decided later to mitigate the negative consequences from his behaviour. He should've offered a public apology instead as the humiliation was public, this was probably why Legend refused as he probably suspected Larva's intention wasn't sincere. This public statement by Larva intentionally omitted Legend, probably as a form of protest or provocation, after all, if I correctly understood the nationalistic ideology of East Asian cultures, Larva is probably seen as a national hero in Korea now that he publicly crushed and humiliated China's best player.

For all those not familiar with East Asian cultures, one's feet is usually regarded as a symbol of the lowest status, defeating a country's best player with one's feet is sort of like raping the princess of a country after the fall of the nation, thus I can sort of understand why many Chinese players are so enraged while many Korean players are proud and strongly supportive of Larva's behaviour and response. It now seems apparent that Legend ended up biting the bullet Larva shot at him by rejecting Larva's private apology, this however became a justification for Larva, his omittance of Legend in this public statement shows it all.

Now, two questions remain to be answered:

1) Following a public humiliation in front of an international audience, Legend likely rejected Larva's apology because he felt a private apology was insincere. Therefore, should a public humiliation demand a public apology, or is a private apology sufficient? (Given the cultural context of East Asian countries it appears quite obviouly that Larva's action was indeed an act of humiliation, even though he didn't mean it)

2) Is Larva's intention to apologise sincere? Legend would probably say no, but I can't be certain as I am not familiar with either of these players.

The answer of the second question relies on the truth of the first question as premise, from a Western cultural standpoint I think the premise of the first question remains debatable as many of us do not see Larva's actions as an act of humiliation. I also don't think he intended to humiliate Legend, he probably just wanted to have some fun and make it to the headlines, but every Chinese player I've spoken to seemed to see Larva's actions as inappropriate, even some Koreans saw it as such, so I think we probably need to stop seeing this incident from a purely Western perspective and condemn Legend for being a salty crybaby and start to consider the cultural differences in East Asia.
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
December 06 2017 15:22 GMT
#70
On December 06 2017 23:53 kissayumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 18:41 FoR_BlueS wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...


Take a look at #57 and then think again who is keeping nationalism.



Well my friend, two wrongs doesn't make a right, just like how revenge would only cause reason for more revenge. What I was trying to say is that there are better ways to make a point than a purely nationalistic rant, I've known quite a few Koreans and many of them are very decent people, just like the Chinese friends that I have.
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 15:28:55
December 06 2017 15:22 GMT
#71
doublepost, delete this
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
kissayumi
Profile Joined August 2006
China6 Posts
December 06 2017 15:28 GMT
#72
On December 07 2017 00:22 FoR_BlueS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 23:53 kissayumi wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:41 FoR_BlueS wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...


Take a look at #57 and then think again who is keeping nationalism.



Well my friend, two wrongs doesn't make a right, just like how revenge would only cause reason for more revenge. What I was trying to say is that there are better ways to make a point than a purely nationalistic rant, I've known quite a few Koreans and many of them are very decent people, just like the Chinese friends that I have.



I also have many Korean friends. I've just read your post above and I would say mostly I agree with your view. I want to say again I'm not pleased with the bad activity from player "Larva" himself. No matter who is the opponent and where he is from this is not a proper act in a public event. But when someone want to sell a bias view that "it is because Chinese are easily lighted" I must say I disagree with him.
VioleTAK
Profile Joined July 2006
4411 Posts
December 06 2017 15:29 GMT
#73
Larva is Larva, he is who he is, and he makes BW more interesting to say the least. I don't follow SC2 but I heard tastosis say not once nor twice how they wish SC2 would have some personalities like him.
Every fan of Starcraft is a fan of Lim Yo Hwan by association
FoR_BlueS
Profile Joined December 2017
New Zealand21 Posts
December 06 2017 15:32 GMT
#74
On December 07 2017 00:28 kissayumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2017 00:22 FoR_BlueS wrote:
On December 06 2017 23:53 kissayumi wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:41 FoR_BlueS wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...


Take a look at #57 and then think again who is keeping nationalism.



Well my friend, two wrongs doesn't make a right, just like how revenge would only cause reason for more revenge. What I was trying to say is that there are better ways to make a point than a purely nationalistic rant, I've known quite a few Koreans and many of them are very decent people, just like the Chinese friends that I have.



I also have many Korean friends. I've just read your post above and I would say mostly I agree with your view. I want to say again I'm not pleased with the bad activity from player "Larva" himself. No matter who is the opponent and where he is from this is not a proper act in a public event. But when someone want to sell a bias view that "it is because Chinese are easily lighted" I must say I disagree with him.


Fair enough, I understand where you're coming from. I know Chinese people have very high regards for the quality of respect, so I understand the frustration that many Chinese players have.
PM for games, NZ timezone. ICCUP rank TvP/PvT A- , between C/B for other matchups.
kissayumi
Profile Joined August 2006
China6 Posts
December 06 2017 15:41 GMT
#75
On December 07 2017 00:16 FoR_BlueS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 19:08 s_k_911 wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:29 FoR_BlueS wrote:
To be honest, I am very impressed by Larva's social wisdom, not only is he a good BW player, he surely knows how to entertain his audience, 。。。 from both sides...


here is what I heard about the timestamp from lx and his friends and this forum:

local time 21:00 or more, game over,commentors and larva do interview. zotac twiter type larva champion

lx's friends tell lx about the foot game

in 30mins,lx sit still,no move ,and type the weibo

in next 2hour,china webs media made a lot of news about the humiliating thing

local time 1:00(second day),the staff(translator?) tell lx larva's word:"if you want an apology,I can apology to you in privite ". lx deny.

then after 3hours, zotac china say ban larva. zotac twiter delete larva champion ?

after lots' of hours,zotac us say we no ban larva. and then larva open letter.


If that is the case, then Larva probably didn't realise the severity of the issue to Legend and decided later to mitigate the negative consequences from his behaviour. He should've offered a public apology instead as the humiliation was public, this was probably why Legend refused as he probably suspected Larva's intention wasn't sincere. This public statement by Larva intentionally omitted Legend, probably as a form of protest or provocation, after all, if I correctly understood the nationalistic ideology of East Asian cultures, Larva is probably seen as a national hero in Korea now that he publicly crushed and humiliated China's best player.

For all those not familiar with East Asian cultures, one's feet is usually regarded as a symbol of the lowest status, defeating a country's best player with one's feet is sort of like raping the princess of a country after the fall of the nation, thus I can sort of understand why many Chinese players are so enraged while many Korean players are proud and strongly supportive of Larva's behaviour and response. It now seems apparent that Legend ended up biting the bullet Larva shot at him by rejecting Larva's private apology, this however became a justification for Larva, his omittance of Legend in this public statement shows it all.

Now, two questions remain to be answered:

1) Following a public humiliation in front of an international audience, Legend likely rejected Larva's apology because he felt a private apology was insincere. Therefore, should a public humiliation demand a public apology, or is a private apology sufficient? (Given the cultural context of East Asian countries it appears quite obviouly that Larva's action was indeed an act of humiliation, even though he didn't mean it)

2) Is Larva's intention to apologise sincere? Legend would probably say no, but I can't be certain as I am not familiar with either of these players.

The answer of the second question relies on the truth of the first question as premise, from a Western cultural standpoint I think the premise of the first question remains debatable as many of us do not see Larva's actions as an act of humiliation. I also don't think he intended to humiliate Legend, he probably just wanted to have some fun and make it to the headlines, but every Chinese player I've spoken to seemed to see Larva's actions as inappropriate, even some Koreans saw it as such, so I think we probably need to stop seeing this incident from a purely Western perspective and condemn Legend for being a salty crybaby and start to consider the cultural differences in East Asia.


I think I can add some comment here. Of course using the foot like that is really really a bad activity in Eastern culture and I'm sure Larva also know that. The other point is he should not bring the thing out of the game.

As LX said, he (and most of the SC fans and players can agree) can accept the nuke bomb, building a cc inside his base or even use pylon/overlord to write "rookie", "chobo", "cai" or any other legal word on the map. That's fine because it is inside the game, he is a better player, I can't defeat him and I have nothing to say. But the activity outside the game definitely crossed the line. Again in other sports apparently you can not do such thing to your opponent player then why it should be allowed in Zotac cup? You are playing a "game" or "esports" doesn't mean you can wreak like that, especially in a public event.


fishyuri
Profile Joined December 2017
1 Post
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 16:12:05
December 06 2017 16:11 GMT
#76
The fact proved that Larva is a stupid idiot who love eating shit and sucking his disgusting foots

User was banned for this post.
ArvickHero
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
10387 Posts
December 06 2017 16:23 GMT
#77
On December 07 2017 00:41 kissayumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2017 00:16 FoR_BlueS wrote:
On December 06 2017 19:08 s_k_911 wrote:
On December 06 2017 18:29 FoR_BlueS wrote:
To be honest, I am very impressed by Larva's social wisdom, not only is he a good BW player, he surely knows how to entertain his audience, 。。。 from both sides...


here is what I heard about the timestamp from lx and his friends and this forum:

local time 21:00 or more, game over,commentors and larva do interview. zotac twiter type larva champion

lx's friends tell lx about the foot game

in 30mins,lx sit still,no move ,and type the weibo

in next 2hour,china webs media made a lot of news about the humiliating thing

local time 1:00(second day),the staff(translator?) tell lx larva's word:"if you want an apology,I can apology to you in privite ". lx deny.

then after 3hours, zotac china say ban larva. zotac twiter delete larva champion ?

after lots' of hours,zotac us say we no ban larva. and then larva open letter.


If that is the case, then Larva probably didn't realise the severity of the issue to Legend and decided later to mitigate the negative consequences from his behaviour. He should've offered a public apology instead as the humiliation was public, this was probably why Legend refused as he probably suspected Larva's intention wasn't sincere. This public statement by Larva intentionally omitted Legend, probably as a form of protest or provocation, after all, if I correctly understood the nationalistic ideology of East Asian cultures, Larva is probably seen as a national hero in Korea now that he publicly crushed and humiliated China's best player.

For all those not familiar with East Asian cultures, one's feet is usually regarded as a symbol of the lowest status, defeating a country's best player with one's feet is sort of like raping the princess of a country after the fall of the nation, thus I can sort of understand why many Chinese players are so enraged while many Korean players are proud and strongly supportive of Larva's behaviour and response. It now seems apparent that Legend ended up biting the bullet Larva shot at him by rejecting Larva's private apology, this however became a justification for Larva, his omittance of Legend in this public statement shows it all.

Now, two questions remain to be answered:

1) Following a public humiliation in front of an international audience, Legend likely rejected Larva's apology because he felt a private apology was insincere. Therefore, should a public humiliation demand a public apology, or is a private apology sufficient? (Given the cultural context of East Asian countries it appears quite obviouly that Larva's action was indeed an act of humiliation, even though he didn't mean it)

2) Is Larva's intention to apologise sincere? Legend would probably say no, but I can't be certain as I am not familiar with either of these players.

The answer of the second question relies on the truth of the first question as premise, from a Western cultural standpoint I think the premise of the first question remains debatable as many of us do not see Larva's actions as an act of humiliation. I also don't think he intended to humiliate Legend, he probably just wanted to have some fun and make it to the headlines, but every Chinese player I've spoken to seemed to see Larva's actions as inappropriate, even some Koreans saw it as such, so I think we probably need to stop seeing this incident from a purely Western perspective and condemn Legend for being a salty crybaby and start to consider the cultural differences in East Asia.


I think I can add some comment here. Of course using the foot like that is really really a bad activity in Eastern culture and I'm sure Larva also know that. The other point is he should not bring the thing out of the game.

As LX said, he (and most of the SC fans and players can agree) can accept the nuke bomb, building a cc inside his base or even use pylon/overlord to write "rookie", "chobo", "cai" or any other legal word on the map. That's fine because it is inside the game, he is a better player, I can't defeat him and I have nothing to say. But the activity outside the game definitely crossed the line. Again in other sports apparently you can not do such thing to your opponent player then why it should be allowed in Zotac cup? You are playing a "game" or "esports" doesn't mean you can wreak like that, especially in a public event.



I don't get it. So are you against all the ceremonies FBH did because it was disrespectful and outside the game? Or that one ceremony where a player threw a bowl of rice at FBH's booth after a game, declaring that beating him was as easy as eating rice?
Writerptrk
jinjin5000
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1559 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 17:33:31
December 06 2017 16:55 GMT
#78
On December 07 2017 00:07 kissayumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 16:43 jinjin5000 wrote:
Anyways, if you guys don't quite understand why Chinese are outraged, its the mindset of "Humiliate a countryman, spit on entire nation". This mindset is common in Asia, especially japan/korea/China, but china has sheer amount of number despite the whole firewall stuff

If small off comment that may be remotely negative on china on YouTube channel run by a white dude can spark outrage from thousands of Chinese, with tons of websites running article "white person talks shit on china", imagine what THIS did.

If you want to know more about it, I suggest you watch channel: ADVchina. Amazing YouTube channel who speaks without any qualms about China and living there. They cover this topic often. Give this video a watch.

https://youtu.be/ez3SaiulaHM



Lol I don't know why you always want to emphasis this thing to a national level while actually it is not. Tell me in what other sport you can do such bad activity without a punishment and long suspend. So you think show that BM to your opponent is normal? Show match? Did you see players in Barcelona do that kind of thing during their friendly match? Did you see the same thing happen when any NBA team is in their global show match? Did you see the same thing happen when Chinese Pingpong player in a large lead? No you didn't and you will not because it is a normal rule that you SHOULD respect your opponent. You always mention "Chinese" is over reacting, is it true? I feel you are more excited because it is you not other people take legend as a representative of "Chinese" and you are imaging Larva is fooling "CHINESE player" and makes you excited. This is no good and not funny. And do not pretend to know China well and trying to sell your bias view. Again, stop making this thing "national".


You dont see the irony in your own words, do you?

Let me preface this that while I thought what Larva did was hilarious, it was 100% out of line if the other party was hurt by it. I felt bit uncomfortable during the celebrations and BM and thought it was bit of bad taste, and legend has 100% right to be livid by the behavior if he wasn't aware of this happening beforehand. But I am not talking about Legend, I am talking about this whole phenomenon of race wars spilling over in multiple forums of multiple languages including TeamLiquid with sole purpose of defending a country's honor over a single hurt player.

Seems like nationalism more than others factors to me. I lived in Korea and they did same thing. I see my asian friends from China/Korea/Japan do the same thing. I grew up being taught that this sort of behavior was right and along lines of "you represent your country's reputation when you go overseas" sort of mentality. Has to be that.

Its not political really, its just inherent part of our culture that tends to sway that way. This is of foreign concept to most westerners who may not understand this. As a person who spent childhood in Korea before moving to US, I could see that this kind of concept may be foreign to those of non-asian origin.

I am not trying to attack China. I am trying to explain to unfamiliar people why this issue became so big. Hell, if you look at larva's forum pages, its filled with koreans and Chinese telling each other to kill themselves and being in middle of huge flame race war. Why did this start? Its because of our culture really. Larva, who represented Korea, dissed on Chinese player, who represented China, and that pissed off many people on internet, as fellow countryman got insulted, and by proxy, the nation was shamed.

Would this sort of reaction have happened if it was a non-asian player? I highly doubt it.
Did this happen when Larva taunted Sea and when he BM'd against other Koreans while he was streaming? Nope.
Would it have had happened if it was Chinese player doing it to Korean? Hell yea.
Japanese player doing it to Korean/Chinese? Yup.
A non asian-player doing it to Chinese/Korean/Japanese? Oh yes.

This mentality of "insult a fellow countrymen, and you insult our entire nation" mentality isn't a widespread idea in the west. Even in more nationalistic western countries, its not as extreme as it is in our nations.

Because of this, this concept may not make sense to a lot of westerners, but that video does perfectly well to explain that sort of mentality.

Ask yourself this: Would non-asians have this sort of huge reaction if a player from their own nationality got humiliated?
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10388 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 17:13:06
December 06 2017 17:09 GMT
#79
On December 06 2017 18:29 FoR_BlueS wrote:
Coupled with Legend's refusal of Larva's private apology, Larva has successfully painted himself as the honourable victim of a scandal, and portrayed Legend as a narrow-minded, egoistic loser who is too butthurt to act like a man. I make this deduction based on my experience as a fan of Eastern culture, so no, don't ask me which animes are good to watch otherwise you will spend the rest of your life infront of your computer...But you can start with Death Note.


I'm fucking crying right now.

JUST L O L

On December 06 2017 18:41 FoR_BlueS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 18:01 SpringWind wrote:
Football,skating and now e-sports,south korea play a shameful role anywhere XD.



To any and all Chinese posters on this thread, please do not escalate the discussion to nationalism and keep the discussion relevant to this incident. Unless you want to know who died in Death Note, if you haven't seen it yet that is...



BRUH
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
December 06 2017 18:28 GMT
#80
this jingoistic nationalism is so annoying on both sides. both china and korea are great, the dispute REALLY shouldn't have some forced nationality angle
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 177
Rex101
ComeBackTV 87
SteadfastSC63
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
CosmosSc2 22
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech129
Rex 101
SteadfastSC 63
CosmosSc2 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50359
Hyuk 1499
Jaedong 923
Soma 456
Horang2 394
Soulkey 394
EffOrt 375
BeSt 375
Mini 344
actioN 314
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Last 296
Light 269
Zeus 247
ggaemo 235
Larva 189
910 163
Rush 135
Snow 132
ZerO 105
Killer 97
Pusan 73
Mind 70
Shine 49
JYJ 45
Free 42
Creator 41
hero 39
Sharp 37
Shinee 33
sorry 26
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
Yoon 23
HiyA 14
Terrorterran 13
yabsab 12
Noble 12
Sacsri 8
Icarus 7
Rock 4
Dota 2
Gorgc9437
Dendi756
Counter-Strike
markeloff414
edward4
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1683
crisheroes1337
Other Games
gofns42035
singsing2041
olofmeister1279
B2W.Neo753
hiko404
byalli334
Pyrionflax289
XBOCT282
DeMusliM242
ArmadaUGS96
Mew2King84
Liquid`VortiX55
QueenE29
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1876
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream120
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH342
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1813
Other Games
• WagamamaTV183
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
20h 52m
OSC
23h 52m
Stellar Fest
23h 52m
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 23h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.