• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:02
CEST 16:02
KST 23:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6558 users

StarCraft: Remastered Graphics Comparisons - Page 7

Forum Index > BW General
255 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
March 26 2017 13:49 GMT
#121
I want to cry. I'm so happy.
Oh no
DeWyze
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden25 Posts
March 26 2017 14:19 GMT
#122
The UI is taking up a lot of unnecessary space in the bottom.
franzji
Profile Joined September 2013
United States583 Posts
March 26 2017 14:23 GMT
#123
A lot of people should watch the yahoo sports interview first before saying things that are just wrong. In the interview he said when they were designing it, they tried to go 1:1 with a lot of sprites, but for some they wanted to make slight changes to how the original team envisioned it to be. That is, how it would be if they could have rendered more pixels on the sprite to begin with, aka more details.

I personally think units look much more clear and prettier. The only problem being some look too shinny, I liked the gritty dirty feel.

Also the ghost looked bad, like really bad. You can see it briefly in the trailer, but there could be a number of factors like the video encoding and the dark background, but it looks really bad.

Super excited though!!!!!!!!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-26 15:27:13
March 26 2017 15:00 GMT
#124
Well, looks like they are on a good path. I really hope they get some details right before release like:
  • Contrasts and saturation seem overly cranked up on some of the sprites and terrain textures. The blue of the mineral patches, for example, is just too saturated, and some of the terrain textures look too gritty while other look rather flattened out, asphalt terrain overall is just too light etc...
  • Some things look more painted or cartoonish now, it seems. Mostly because the lighting is not quite right yet. The original renderings of the units have very spot on gloss effects, which seem to be missing or at least underwhelming so far (most of the terran stuff looks actually allright in this regard, although textures could use more detail, most of the Zerg stuff, on the other hand, for some reason, does not (morphing buildings look terrible, for example.
  • Some details of the original sprites seem yet to be missing, or their missing becomes more apparent in higher resolution. Look at the creep, for example, or morphing Zerg buildings.


Apart from these little details, I must say I am impressed and also relieved that they keep true to the original, mostly because otherwise they would have probably invalidated the complete stock of legacy maps in the process (but I guess they figured rightly that this would have set them up for total failure with this project).
Speaking of map compatibility, they actually used footage from (3)Demian, it seems, and it looks fine, so I guess there won't be any problems.
Now I am curious : Will there be an official map editor released with the game?

EDIT: Just read the developers interview. Seems like they even have support for old replays...
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4387 Posts
March 26 2017 15:05 GMT
#125
I know I'm in the minority here...but can't like these, at all. Excessive colours, units looking weird in relation to the map texture...

I'm glad people are happy and somewhat glad that I'll probably be able to play the game once more. However, it will look a lot worse than what it used to, at least for me. Hope it grows on me.
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
duke91
Profile Joined April 2014
Germany1458 Posts
March 26 2017 15:06 GMT
#126
On March 27 2017 00:05 KobraKay wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here...but can't like these, at all. Excessive colours, units looking weird in relation to the map texture...

I'm glad people are happy and somewhat glad that I'll probably be able to play the game once more. However, it will look a lot worse than what it used to, at least for me. Hope it grows on me.


You are not the minority at all. Either it is because I'm used to BW graphics, but you can't distinguish some units well enough.

Zerglings and marines are hard to distinguish. It looks quite comically overall. It may be fixed with increasing the contrast etc.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)STYLE START SBENU( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Poly_Optimize
Profile Joined March 2016
Canada156 Posts
March 26 2017 15:09 GMT
#127
Wow it looks awesome! I feel like they really listen to the voice of costumer! Good job Blizzard and thank you!
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
March 26 2017 15:27 GMT
#128
On March 26 2017 22:17 Terrorbladder wrote:
Are the new portraits animated, I wonder...

I would assume so. There is a slight idle animation to the new Battlecruiser portrait in the trailer.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
March 26 2017 16:10 GMT
#129
Looks absolutely fantastic. It's literally everything people have been asking for for years; updated graphics, but keeping everything gameplay-wise.

Some people will just be salty because it isn't exactly the original 100%, but the graphics updates are fantastic. It really makes me realize just how horrific BW's graphics are now that I see the updates. I don't have any problems with the colors or distinguishing what's going on in the updated screenshots/videos.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
Kacas
Profile Joined July 2003
Brazil3143 Posts
March 26 2017 16:52 GMT
#130
I think they can fix colors to not look so cartoonish. Glad is not 3d
I Love Hyori Lee =* icq: 41760400 / msn: kayen_chn at hotm
Carefree
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1571 Posts
March 26 2017 17:40 GMT
#131
Yes yes yes!
DebOnAire - 「 Bisu[Shield] 」
Ota Solgryn
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Denmark2011 Posts
March 26 2017 17:48 GMT
#132
Blizzard really delivering this time!
ihasaKAROT: "Wish people would stop wasting their lives on finding flaws in others"
Isualin
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1903 Posts
March 26 2017 17:52 GMT
#133
It's good to see they are doing this.

I think zerg models need a little bit more work though
| INnoVation | The literal god TY | ByuNjwa | LRSL when? |
xiaorobear
Profile Joined December 2016
11 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-26 17:59:39
March 26 2017 17:52 GMT
#134
Just to add another graphics comparison I just made, here are the old and new Zergling run cycles. I'm very happy they didn't try to modernize the ling design to look more like the SC2 ones or anything.

[image loading]

One of the reasons they look a bit different is because a lot of the team color areas in the original sprites were added by hand. So in the zergling when the upper arm was in front of the body or head, it switched to being team-colored, and only becomes brown again when it isn't blocking the body. The new one stays light brown the whole time, so the upper arms will stand out a lot more.

(Also though, while details like the individual toes in the webbed feet were always meant to be in the model, I don't know that they needed to be so brightly colored. Makes the new sprite a bit busier than if the toes were also team-colored.)
im a roc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States745 Posts
March 26 2017 18:01 GMT
#135
On March 27 2017 02:52 xiaorobear wrote:
Just to add another graphics comparison I just made, here are the old and new Zergling run cycles. I'm very happy they didn't try to modernize the ling design to look more like the SC2 ones or anything.

[image loading]

One of the reasons they look a bit different is because a lot of the team color areas in the original sprites were added by hand. So in the zergling when the upper arm was in front of the body or head, it switched to being team-colored, and only becomes brown again when it isn't blocking the body. The new one stays light brown the whole time, so the upper arms will stand out a lot more.

(Also though, while details like the individual toes in the webbed feet were always meant to be in the model, I don't know that they needed to be so brightly colored. Makes the new sprite a bit busier than if the toes were also team-colored.)

I always thought those were horns, why in the world does it have human arms coming out of its head...?
Beware The Proxy Pool Rush
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
March 26 2017 18:03 GMT
#136
Really hope you can switch back to the old graphics. Something about these new ones don't feel right, especially the zerg buildings/creep.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
March 26 2017 18:05 GMT
#137
This looks really good!
franzji
Profile Joined September 2013
United States583 Posts
March 26 2017 18:06 GMT
#138
I can't wait to see how storms look.
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-26 18:38:54
March 26 2017 18:37 GMT
#139
On March 26 2017 16:22 EnderSword wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2017 15:56 reminisce12 wrote:
looks fake and hand drawn...


As opposed to using a real photograph of a Mutalisk?


That's no big thing... I take pics of my pet muta Truffles all the time.

Check out his Flickr page.

User was warned for being hilarious
Scrutinizer
Profile Joined April 2011
170 Posts
March 26 2017 18:51 GMT
#140
This is much better than I expected, amazing job!

However, I still see 3D graphs, models are not exactly 2D.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3180
Jaedong 2882
Leta 2283
Soulkey 1913
EffOrt 1077
Soma 715
Mini 527
Horang2 374
BeSt 315
Light 300
[ Show more ]
Stork 270
Rush 262
Larva 229
Snow 195
ggaemo 155
hero 128
Killer 120
Barracks 111
Zeus 106
firebathero 99
JYJ 98
Sea.KH 67
Mong 62
Sharp 42
Shinee 37
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 29
Aegong 28
sorry 20
zelot 20
Sexy 18
Shine 12
Rock 12
JulyZerg 8
Icarus 8
Sacsri 7
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6873
qojqva1400
Dendi759
XaKoH 397
Counter-Strike
Fnx 606
kRYSTAL_97
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4392
Khaldor210
Other Games
gofns45440
singsing1711
olofmeister1259
B2W.Neo863
byalli573
Lowko393
DeMusliM195
mouzStarbuck168
Liquid`VortiX146
Livibee123
OGKoka 90
ArmadaUGS84
amsayoshi14
Railgan9
Chillindude8
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV327
BasetradeTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream185
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 25
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV368
League of Legends
• Nemesis1845
• Jankos1715
• TFBlade390
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 58m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 58m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.