• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:57
CEST 17:57
KST 00:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7630 users

Fingers used when playing BroodWar? - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
August 07 2006 21:34 GMT
#21
my way is the best1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9a0^^
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
August 07 2006 21:58 GMT
#22
Well, when I play, I use all my fingers, wheter is to macro units, or to move units or anything, I have one problem though, I can't use my thumb for shit, since my hand is kind of small, it is kind of hard for me to use it, but I have got used to play without it so, it is ok ;p.

1a with ring finger (yes the 1 and a)
2a3a4a with midle+ring
5a6a7a8a9a0a with index and pinky.

Setting control groups, depends on the number, but it always with pinky+some finger. ;P

1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a98a9a0a
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
August 07 2006 21:59 GMT
#23
1 is Pinky, 5 is thumb

1a (3,2)
2a (3,2)
3a (4,2)
4a (4,2)
5a (4,2)
6a (4,1)
7a (4,1)
I cant use 8a 9a and 0a very well because my hand doesnt stretch that long. So they are set to things like comsat
intrigue
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Washington, D.C9935 Posts
August 07 2006 22:09 GMT
#24
practice typing properly first learn how to use fingers like your ring finger. not only will your words per minute go up drastically, but you will also be able to translate this speed to hotkeying.

in case you don't know how just google "how to type" or something along those lines.
Moderatorsloppy little slug
SpaCe)Ment-rA
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada389 Posts
August 07 2006 22:37 GMT
#25
Like you dude. Only 4th on keyboard. My APM is like 90-100. Once I can perfectly know the keyboard without looking, might just try other fingers ^^
In the moonlight, dancing madly backwards
CoralReefer
Profile Joined June 2004
Canada2069 Posts
August 07 2006 22:44 GMT
#26
strangely i don't use my pinky finger for hotkeys, I only use it when i type.

I highly suggest everyone else to do the same. The pinky finger is not designed to be durable, it cannot handle the rigorous apm spam that other fingers are capable of (unless you are a low 30 apm user like CTStalker).

And this hot potato has vanished into thin air.
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
August 07 2006 22:47 GMT
#27
Its best to use all fingers for typing speed if you can, so I think it makes the most sense to use all fingers for sc too.

Somewhat intresting how many people dont use thumb. Pinkey i can understand because its a weaker finger and people dont want to go though the trouble of using it in the first place. If done well using thumb for "a" certainly seems faster then usign another finger for a, as it frees up fingers and seems more convient for hand shape. Also thumb for "ctrl" makes more sense to me as one's hand remains slanted toward the screen, not away like ctrl does.

| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
CoralReefer
Profile Joined June 2004
Canada2069 Posts
August 07 2006 22:54 GMT
#28
thumb for ctrl? only if you are left handed. pinky can be used for crtl with much more speed + gosuness
And this hot potato has vanished into thin air.
Ash
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Malaysia1978 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-08-07 23:27:35
August 07 2006 23:24 GMT
#29
On August 08 2006 07:37 SpaCe)Ment-rA wrote:
Like you dude. Only 4th on keyboard. My APM is like 90-100. Once I can perfectly know the keyboard without looking, might just try other fingers ^^


lol i have 200+ apm O_O and i can type on a keyboard without looking at it

oh well i use thumb for ctrl too
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
August 07 2006 23:25 GMT
#30
erm the only way using thumb for "a" makes any kind of sense at all is if you're using the left hand on your mouse. which is normally only done by left handed people. (and naz. )
Moderator
Ash
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Malaysia1978 Posts
August 07 2006 23:33 GMT
#31
lol i found out this good program
http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/try1.php

gogo everyone try it
the.golden.zerg
Profile Joined December 2004
Sweden24 Posts
August 07 2006 23:45 GMT
#32
Well... if thumb = 1st finger, then it's thumb, index finger, middle finger, ring finger, and pinky

Here are my playing style:
I use 1234567 for hatcherys and 09876 for units. In early game I use F2 and F3 on my two minerals lines so if someone do a reaver drop I could fast take my drones from danger. F4 are for there I have my rally point. Late game I have them on my exps that dont have any hotkey

I use all fingers on my left hand when I play. In the beging I had an start postion so it sould be easier to find all buttons. Pinky on Q, ring on W, middle E, index on R and thumb on B. I also taked away two buttons between Right Ctrl and Alt Gr, I lay my thumb in that space and then it is really easy to find 09876 with my fingers.

If we say that I have two modes then I plays we could say that then I use hotkeys 1234567 it is macro mode and 09876 are micro mode.

In macro mode pinky are for the button over Ctrl (dont know what it is called)
Ring finger are for 1 Q A and W.
Middel finger are for E S Z and 2.
Index finger are for R F G H N U M I 3 4 5 6 and 7.
Thumb are for B V and C
I press on Ctrl with my left side of my left hand

In micro mode
Pinky are for 5 6 7 U and H.
Ring finger are for 8 and I
Middel finger are for 9
Index finger are for 0 P and L
Thumb for Ctrl.

Before I hurt my hands I had an APM on 190 to 240
SpaCe)Ment-rA
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada389 Posts
August 07 2006 23:53 GMT
#33
On August 08 2006 08:24 Ash wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2006 07:37 SpaCe)Ment-rA wrote:
Like you dude. Only 4th on keyboard. My APM is like 90-100. Once I can perfectly know the keyboard without looking, might just try other fingers ^^


lol i have 200+ apm O_O and i can type on a keyboard without looking at it

oh well i use thumb for ctrl too


Yeah, but I can't.

"Once I can perfectly..."

Can't yet
In the moonlight, dancing madly backwards
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-08-08 00:10:23
August 08 2006 00:04 GMT
#34
On August 08 2006 08:33 Ash wrote:
lol i found out this good program
http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/try1.php

gogo everyone try it


;O ok :D

That thing is fucking weird, it also teaches you how to sit rofl~
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-08-08 00:29:05
August 08 2006 00:11 GMT
#35
On August 08 2006 08:33 Ash wrote:
lol i found out this good program
http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/try1.php

gogo everyone try it

dling-.-

fun for a one time use, its already deleted o.oV
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
MyTHicaL
Profile Joined November 2005
France1070 Posts
August 08 2006 00:13 GMT
#36
... I use my pinky(1st) for shift, caps (AZERTY - french keyboard need caps to get hotkey >.<;, Ring finger(2nd) for like hotkeys well actually I basically do what Xellos does - use eveyr single finger you have ... ofc 1 im no as good as xellos - never will be, 2 im not korean so already hes faster than me and well having a 3rd point sounds better but I cant find 1 so ill just say and 3;..
7c.nEptuNe
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States153 Posts
August 08 2006 00:17 GMT
#37
I am a zerg user as well but I use all of my left hand for hotkeys. I'll explain my hotkeys first

1 = pinky 2 = ring 3 = middle 4 = ring 5 = thumb
Beginning game:
1 = overlord (first finger) 2 = drone building about to hatch (second finger) 5 = hatch (4th finger)

Later in the game:
1 2 3 4 = units (1st 2nd 3rd 4th fingers)
5 - 0 = hatches (all 4th fingers)

however when i build as in 5sz6sz7sz8sz9sz0sz i use 4th finger for hatch, second finger for s, first finger for z. This differs from mutas /hydras however I use my 4th finger for both hatch and the m/h because obviously my pinky isn't going to reach that far.

My thumb i rarely ever use for spacebar, as we do have the f2 f3 f4 keys for macroing and my rally collection. Mmm I am a 350 apm user and I cannot imagine you using one hand and getting more than 80 apm.
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-08-08 01:17:39
August 08 2006 00:25 GMT
#38
I welcome everyone to try this:

First rest on 1-2-3 with ring-middle-index.
1) go 1a2a3a4a5a6a, using thumb for a
2) go 1a2a3a4a5a6a, using ring for a.
I think its clear which is faster as long as you lift your wrist off of the desk past the hight of the keyboard.

Try this as well:
1) 1a2a3a, then ctrl with pinkey or pinky join+123
2) 1a2a3a, then ctrl with thumb joint+123
Again, its clear which is fastest as long as your wrist is lifted up high enough.

So, I'm guessing its the lifting your wrist up thing that many of you guys dont do. Sure, using pinkey for ctrl and finger for a makes more sense if you keep wrist down. But, does keeping your wrist down make more sense?

edit- assuing your thumb is not a fat immoible sausage. :p
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
gulii
Profile Joined November 2004
Sweden2795 Posts
August 08 2006 00:48 GMT
#39
Beginning of game:
1 on shift
2 on A
3 on S
4 on D
5 on space.

Omg...this gonna be hard to explain..here we go.
At attack: Finger 2 at 1,A. Finger 3 AND Finger 2 at A. Finger 3 at 3 AND Finger 2 at A. Then...Finger 4 at 4 and finger 2 at A. Same to 5A. But after that I move the hand so Finger 4 is at 6 then finger 1 moves from Shift to A. and it goes up..
RiSE
Profile Joined April 2004
United States3182 Posts
August 08 2006 01:00 GMT
#40
I use all 4 fingers of my left hand. When I play terran and i'm building marines I use my thumb.
heavy hand upon the land, feel it's weight inside you
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 527
BRAT_OK 69
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31430
Bisu 2703
Shuttle 1714
Hyuk 1027
EffOrt 817
Mini 786
Larva 413
Soma 383
ZerO 234
firebathero 225
[ Show more ]
hero 136
Sexy 58
sorry 50
Mong 44
PianO 44
Hyun 43
Pusan 36
Trap 36
ToSsGirL 32
Killer 25
Terrorterran 16
zelot 15
JulyZerg 14
Rock 13
Bale 11
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc9590
qojqva1675
Dendi977
Counter-Strike
fl0m2744
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1460
crisheroes1097
Liquid`Hasu625
Other Games
singsing2009
B2W.Neo1110
Beastyqt658
Mlord366
FrodaN269
Hui .226
Livibee178
Liquid`VortiX154
KnowMe114
ArmadaUGS111
Mew2King75
Trikslyr18
CosmosSc2 16
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 64
• StrangeGG 35
• mYiSmile125
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7746
League of Legends
• Jankos1855
Other Games
• Shiphtur241
• WagamamaTV196
Upcoming Events
FEL
3m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 3m
INu's Battles
20h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
23h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.