• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:21
CEST 02:21
KST 09:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8888 users

Experimental BW Capture plugin for OBS - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Andreas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Norway214 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 22:42:40
January 02 2013 22:37 GMT
#21
I was playing on a somewhat old version of Fighting Spirit. Didn't think the maps mattered, I'll do a quick run to see if other maps are effected.

EDIT: Tested it on 4 different maps with all 3 races, same thing happens everywhere. I uploaded a small video to show the effect: http://lutro.priv.no/obsbw.mp4
Andreas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Norway214 Posts
January 07 2013 17:39 GMT
#22
So I tried streaming with it just now and the picture just froze at the join game screen

I tried alt-tabbing to restart the stream or switch scenes, but the OBS window was impossible to grab a hold of, there were some really weird graphical glitches with duplicate taskbars (not visible in the VOD of course).

http://www.twitch.tv/raziel2p/b/354913054?t=2m20s
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 09:55:46
January 19 2013 09:36 GMT
#23
So I tried it and this is what I got lol http://www.twitch.tv/puppykiller3/b/358436990. Where did I go wrong... can I not use a video capture device?
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Galetmonster
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden151 Posts
February 11 2013 03:03 GMT
#24
Same issue as andreas http://www.twitch.tv/yukela/b/366195608 happens at 3:30, changed frame again around 5:00 but from there one its completely stuck.
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
February 11 2013 03:11 GMT
#25
Oh snap, how did I miss this, awesome! Gonna try it when I get time to play with it a bit.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but most people use the colorfix reg.
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
SynC[gm]
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States3127 Posts
February 11 2013 05:01 GMT
#26
I dunno if this is the same as what Galetmonster posted, but the frame seems to just stop at the 3:20-3:30 mark, but the sounds are still going on in the background... It's as if OBs crashed from that point on. Any help with this? =/

Example 1
Example 2

Both happen at around the 3:20 mark.
twitch.tv/dizzywee
NotJumperer
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States1371 Posts
February 11 2013 17:20 GMT
#27
--- Nuked ---
IskatuMesk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada969 Posts
February 11 2013 17:50 GMT
#28
On January 02 2013 13:44 R1CH wrote: Unfortunately it isn't perfect, for some reason the out of game palettes have incorrect values, but the in-game palettes I tested seemed fine.


This is likely to be something you already know, but in case you don't, every menu background and their associated elements have a unique 256 color palette in starcraft independent of the game palette, and if you try to mix and match those in a mod that replaces those pcx files, you get some major color distortion going on because it needs those specific palettes in those areas. You can grab those palettes from the various Background pcx files. However I have no idea how battle.net's ui works.
zoNin
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada57 Posts
February 15 2013 08:59 GMT
#29
On February 11 2013 14:01 SynC[gm] wrote:
I dunno if this is the same as what Galetmonster posted, but the frame seems to just stop at the 3:20-3:30 mark, but the sounds are still going on in the background... It's as if OBs crashed from that point on. Any help with this? =/

Example 1
Example 2

Both happen at around the 3:20 mark.


the same thing is happening to me
theqat
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States2856 Posts
February 15 2013 15:23 GMT
#30
On February 12 2013 02:20 Jumperer wrote:
does OBS use more computer power than FME?


It should use considerably less. Give it a shot if you're unsure, the install and setup is very painless compared to FMLE or xsplit.
zoNin
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada57 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-15 16:06:35
February 15 2013 15:51 GMT
#31
I'm pretty sure its one of the new test builds that's breaking it and causing it to lock up, because i was using this a while ago it must have been an older obs build because it never froze this new one however is making the screen lock up i think.

*maybe not i tried it on an older version which is the one I was using before I think, so odd :S
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-15 18:33:49
February 15 2013 18:26 GMT
#32
OBS uses comparable CPU time to XSplit when I'm streaming BW in WMode. With XSplit it used to have small stutters, but with OBS everything is smooth, even on slower encoding speeds and 10 quality on like 500 kbps upload.

You can actually make OBS capture the inside BW window (no title/minimize/maxmize/etc. bar) and outside window (with the title bar/etc.) in WMode automatically and you can still see overlays, unlike XSplit which automatically captures just the game, not the overlays - it's just indispensable for casting.

The only con is that the bitrate varies a lot more (and is higher) than XSplit so it dropped some frames until I configured it a bit better, but the bitrate is still more than XSplit. I'll try to further tweak it to reduce the spikes. Maybe it's because of the higher quality of sound.

I like the interface way more, it's faster and cleaner. I just love it. As for ease of use/setup, OBS and XSplit are pretty much the same, maybe I'd give a tiny edge to OBS.

Thanks for the plugin R1CH (and all the work on OBS), it's awesome, going to use OBS + BW Full Screen plugin all the time when I stream me playing.

If I knew/understood more I'd help code for it. :<

Btw, is there any way to add overlays when streaming full screen? They don't have to be visible inside the game, just on the output and the OBS preview. There must be some way to capture the overlays and mix them in as a source with the full screen bw output source.
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
February 15 2013 20:41 GMT
#33
On February 16 2013 03:26 quirinus wrote:
OBS uses comparable CPU time to XSplit when I'm streaming BW in WMode. With XSplit it used to have small stutters, but with OBS everything is smooth, even on slower encoding speeds and 10 quality on like 500 kbps upload.

You can actually make OBS capture the inside BW window (no title/minimize/maxmize/etc. bar) and outside window (with the title bar/etc.) in WMode automatically and you can still see overlays, unlike XSplit which automatically captures just the game, not the overlays - it's just indispensable for casting.

The only con is that the bitrate varies a lot more (and is higher) than XSplit so it dropped some frames until I configured it a bit better, but the bitrate is still more than XSplit. I'll try to further tweak it to reduce the spikes. Maybe it's because of the higher quality of sound.

I like the interface way more, it's faster and cleaner. I just love it. As for ease of use/setup, OBS and XSplit are pretty much the same, maybe I'd give a tiny edge to OBS.

Thanks for the plugin R1CH (and all the work on OBS), it's awesome, going to use OBS + BW Full Screen plugin all the time when I stream me playing.

If I knew/understood more I'd help code for it. :<

Btw, is there any way to add overlays when streaming full screen? They don't have to be visible inside the game, just on the output and the OBS preview. There must be some way to capture the overlays and mix them in as a source with the full screen bw output source.

It should work fine if you add in images and such, as long as you layer them correctly.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-15 22:02:27
February 15 2013 21:50 GMT
#34
On February 16 2013 05:41 Birdie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2013 03:26 quirinus wrote:
OBS uses comparable CPU time to XSplit when I'm streaming BW in WMode. With XSplit it used to have small stutters, but with OBS everything is smooth, even on slower encoding speeds and 10 quality on like 500 kbps upload.

You can actually make OBS capture the inside BW window (no title/minimize/maxmize/etc. bar) and outside window (with the title bar/etc.) in WMode automatically and you can still see overlays, unlike XSplit which automatically captures just the game, not the overlays - it's just indispensable for casting.

The only con is that the bitrate varies a lot more (and is higher) than XSplit so it dropped some frames until I configured it a bit better, but the bitrate is still more than XSplit. I'll try to further tweak it to reduce the spikes. Maybe it's because of the higher quality of sound.

I like the interface way more, it's faster and cleaner. I just love it. As for ease of use/setup, OBS and XSplit are pretty much the same, maybe I'd give a tiny edge to OBS.

Thanks for the plugin R1CH (and all the work on OBS), it's awesome, going to use OBS + BW Full Screen plugin all the time when I stream me playing.

If I knew/understood more I'd help code for it. :<

Btw, is there any way to add overlays when streaming full screen? They don't have to be visible inside the game, just on the output and the OBS preview. There must be some way to capture the overlays and mix them in as a source with the full screen bw output source.

It should work fine if you add in images and such, as long as you layer them correctly.


Thanks! :D Just checked it out, this is amazing, I've always wanted to have an overlay while streaming full screen! :DDDD

Now too bad I don't have a second monitor for chat. xD

Edit: Seems you can disable and enable overlays and other windows obscuring the software window capture if you enable or disable aero.
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
zoNin
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada57 Posts
February 15 2013 21:58 GMT
#35
now tell me how you get it to not freeze on you xD
BlueStar
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Bulgaria1177 Posts
February 15 2013 23:49 GMT
#36
BOW R1CH!!!
Leader of the Bulgarian National SCBW/SC2 team and team pSi.SCBW/SC2
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-16 02:44:07
February 16 2013 02:42 GMT
#37
On February 16 2013 06:58 zoNin wrote:
now tell me how you get it to not freeze on you xD


lol I don't know, it just doesn't. I've got W7 64 bit, and using 32 bit OBS (obviously, since this plugin is only for 32 bit).

Try the latest version, of OBS and all software.

It freezes only when you stream with OBS and this plugin? Does it freeze when you play music/youtube or stream with other software while playing?

EDIT:
Btw, there's a simple auto scene switcher plugin that works with BW:
http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1785
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
February 16 2013 07:39 GMT
#38
I tried installing but when I go to add Broodwar as a scene (either game or software) it won't come up under sources. Yes BW is running. I don't know if this is a result of adding this into the pluggins folder or not, but I had and removed BW on my scenes list previously when i got frustrated with windowed mode

anyone know what to do?
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
Zamkis
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada114 Posts
February 16 2013 08:48 GMT
#39
R1CH, you're amazing, still coding stuff for BW after all these years. Cheers to the wizard!
Destruction is a work of an afternoon, Creation is a work of a lifetime.
zoNin
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada57 Posts
February 16 2013 15:00 GMT
#40
On February 16 2013 11:42 quirinus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2013 06:58 zoNin wrote:
now tell me how you get it to not freeze on you xD


lol I don't know, it just doesn't. I've got W7 64 bit, and using 32 bit OBS (obviously, since this plugin is only for 32 bit).

Try the latest version, of OBS and all software.

It freezes only when you stream with OBS and this plugin? Does it freeze when you play music/youtube or stream with other software while playing?

EDIT:
Btw, there's a simple auto scene switcher plugin that works with BW:
http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1785


hmm I am also on W7 64bit and do the same, I tried streaming just with the software capture and streamed just surfing the web to see if it froze or broke but nothing happend, it's only happening when I use the BW Plugin sadly
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings60
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech155
ViBE149
Nina 140
SpeCial 74
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13697
Artosis 627
PianO 33
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm180
canceldota135
League of Legends
Doublelift3718
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1713
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe106
Other Games
summit1g7485
shahzam639
Day[9].tv550
C9.Mang0396
Maynarde94
Trikslyr77
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 41
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv550
• Shiphtur527
Upcoming Events
OSC
22h 39m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 9h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.