• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:31
CEST 14:31
KST 21:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9374 users

Everybody should play a little SC2 - Page 15

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 19 Next All
Hinanawi
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2250 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 20:28:37
January 29 2012 20:25 GMT
#281
doublepost
Favorite progamers (in order): Flash, Stork, Violet, Sea. ||| Get better soon, Violet!
Hinanawi
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2250 Posts
January 29 2012 20:28 GMT
#282
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many BW fans feel the same way: We don't give a shit about 'eSports'. We give a shit about competitive Brood War. 'X is hurting ESPORTS' started off as a joke, but I think some of you actually believe this. You actually believe that I'm supposed to support competitive SC2, LoL, Halo, and CoD just because they're video games and therefore 'esports'. You might say "but a lot of people don't take competitive video games seriously, so that's why we all need to band together!", and that would make sense...IF SC2 WAS A GOOD GAME, which it isn't. Games like that only serve to lower the opinion of competitive video games as a whole.

So there's the whole cult saying if you say that a game is terrible it's 'hurting eSports' and is taboo. I'm sorry, but I didn't purchase a ticket on this cruise, and if SC2 is really the 'flagship' at the moment then I'd watch out for icebergs and make sure you have enough lifeboats ready on the S.S.ESPORTS.
Favorite progamers (in order): Flash, Stork, Violet, Sea. ||| Get better soon, Violet!
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
January 29 2012 20:32 GMT
#283
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
First of all, nice job on the OP, I think you highlight some really neat aspects of why a fresh game like SC2 is appealing, and how high level mechanics can allow for playing to the mental aspect of SC2 right from the start, as opposed to the problem of being unable to constantly make SCVs or to do, what BW players would consider to be very simple, menial tasks.

Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.

Let them be mad, man. Its understandable why they are and they usually keep it to the BW forums anyway.

BW is a better refined game with a higher skill ceiling, Ive finally gotten rid of my denial and accepted that after watching a couple Flash vs Jaedong games recently while comparing them to SC2 ZvTs like MVP vs Nestea. Seeing a game like BW slowly getting overshadowed by the young upstart SC2 must suck ass. I like SC2 and will stick to playing and watching SC2 over BW, but I have to admit that itll be sad if Korea fully switches off of BW
blubbdavid
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Switzerland2412 Posts
January 29 2012 20:32 GMT
#284
On January 30 2012 05:28 Hinanawi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many BW fans feel the same way: We don't give a shit about 'eSports'. We give a shit about competitive Brood War. 'X is hurting ESPORTS' started off as a joke, but I think some of you actually believe this. You actually believe that I'm supposed to support competitive SC2, LoL, Halo, and CoD just because they're video games and therefore 'esports'. You might say "but a lot of people don't take competitive video games seriously, so that's why we all need to band together!", and that would make sense...IF SC2 WAS A GOOD GAME, which it isn't. Games like that only serve to lower the opinion of competitive video games as a whole.

So there's the whole cult saying if you say that a game is terrible it's 'hurting eSports' and is taboo. I'm sorry, but I didn't purchase a ticket on this cruise, and if SC2 is really the 'flagship' at the moment then I'd watch out for icebergs and make sure you have enough lifeboats ready on the S.S.ESPORTS.

Thx, Hina, couldn't have it expressed better.
And so, there goes my 1000th.
What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all other? Whatever you desire - that is here. Tower of God ¦¦Nutella, drink of the Gods
KenNage
Profile Joined May 2009
Chile885 Posts
January 29 2012 20:36 GMT
#285
i feel the same way Hinanawi does, i dont give a crap about esports, i only care about bw
Hundisilm
Profile Joined July 2011
Estonia99 Posts
January 29 2012 20:36 GMT
#286
On January 30 2012 05:14 fabiano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


Imagine WC4 was released and everybody you knew switched over to the newer game.

Imagine the forum you used to so lovely participate in was flooded by newcomers saying that MVP and all other top SC2 players should switch to WC4 because SC2 is an old game and is not user friendly and is too hard to play.

Imagine all the SC2 foreign tournaments disappearing into thin air. Now the only pro game tournament is GSL, and Gom still has not released any date when the next one will happen, not even guarantees there will be one after the last.

Imagine Day[9] daylies on SC2 were gone, now he's doing WC4 daylies.

Imagine TL now has changed its focus to WC4, and although they still keep good work with SC2, the vast majority of the users only talk about WC4. From TSL 42 on, now no more SC2, but WC4.

Imagine that out of all SC2 teams, half of them disbanded, some focusing on WC4.

And worst of all, imagine that WC4 is so much worse than SC2 in almost every single aspect from your point of view, after playing it and not enjoying almost anything in it.

How would you feel?


Sad probably, but I don't think most people would go about it by writing crap about WC4 every chance they get. As the latter part is the problem, then I don't quite understand what you are trying to say here?

I can understand the switching topics being quite out of place for the BW community and how it can make you have negative feelings towards SC2 - a group of TL's BW-fans have literally made me feel a bit nauses about considering playing BW a bit, which is quite sad in my opinion (considered it at one point, but by now I honestly just don't want to for non-game related reasons).
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 20:42:56
January 29 2012 20:42 GMT
#287
I highly doubt you would just be quiet about it. When you see something great being replaced for something less than acceptable the common reaction is to complain.

There's no way to tell for sure what would be your reaction until the event actually happens, though.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Count9
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China10928 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 21:05:05
January 29 2012 20:46 GMT
#288
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem?

It's honestly Dustin Browder and his team. Looking at the shit they did to the mutalisk, helion "micro" compared to vulture patrol micro, the "super thor", how bad psionic storm is, the new ultralisk, the new spell casters in general, anti micro spells like FF and fungal (though I don't have that much problem with FF it still can be a lot better), siege tanks that barely do anything compared to BW tanks, colossus "micro". Everything just screams tame and boring and I think it's a bad game, just like how dora the explorer: adventure through rainbowland is a bad game*.

Do you want to know why we're actually bitter? Cause we wait 12 fucking years, almost a year full of leaks during alpha, and we're the most fucking excited people ever. You think the current sc2 fans are excited? It can't even compare. The BW fans were the first ones dying to get their hands on beta keys and lined up outside stores on launch day to get the game and then some of us found the game to be crap and were completely heart broken. 12 years to churn out crap, and yeah, it sucks cause we were let down so hard after having such high expectations. I still wish sc2 is a good game or hope it will turn into a good game but looking at the new ideas coming out it's obviously not going to be that way.

Anyways, you shouldn't be so offended, casual oriented games like LoL and SC2 are on the rise and popular, so just go with it if you think it's a great game (and a lot of people agree with you). No one's a bad person, just a difference of opinion. It's not like if I met a sc2 fan I'd sock him in the face or anything, I just don't like the game he likes cause I happen to think it's crap, just like I think katy perry is crap but there are millions of people that I'm sure are intelligent and funny and good looking that disagree with me.

As for why BW fans trash it, it's mostly because of what we think to be factually true. If a sc2 fan says marine splitting vs. banelings is just as hard as splitting against lurkers (when medics and marines are in different control groups and what now) or that helion micro is just as hard or fun as vulture micro of course we're going to say they're completely wrong, especially when the person saying it probably has never played bw in his entire life.

It'd be like if I told you the League of Legends client is a masterpiece of art, you'd look at me like I'm stupid and after you list out all the things wrong with it and tell me it looks like something a second year college student made, I just say well I like Riot's aesthetic values and you're just jealous of LoL's stream numbers. LoL has merits, obviously, the client is not one of them. SC2 has merits, like graphics and UI, but unit balance and control when compared to BW are not among them.

*I should qualify that, it's a bad game compared to SC:BW, fairly solid RTS game in general. Kinda like how a bunch of C&C or warhammer games are fairly solid RTS games.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
January 29 2012 20:48 GMT
#289
On January 30 2012 05:36 KenNage wrote:
i feel the same way Hinanawi does, i dont give a crap about esports, i only care about bw

I am a die hard sc:bw fan, but I actually do want eSports to succeed. And it's not so bw is played forever. I honestly hope SC2's end result can turn into the epic game BW made SC vanilla. I love watching competitive video games because it's such an intense mentality that so many people are missing out on by not watching the pros play. I want to go to MLG and be in love with the side events because the competitiveness of the game has escalated in the other genres too. There is such a future for competitive gaming and it would be awesome to see it grow into fruition. And on a personal note, if bw doesn't last for the next decade I really hope SC2 evolves into the game I know it can be. When I watched DRG vs MMA finals I actually was cheering like I do for BW. I'm following the SC2 scene now because I want to be personal with the players by the time the game does succeed and I know it will.

Nothing will hurt eSports. Just love the game. Love others who love their game. And encourage each other to continue the love for the game they are interested in. We are all brothers of a great community and united we can bring this to the rest of the world.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
ClutchSC
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada34 Posts
January 29 2012 20:54 GMT
#290
On January 30 2012 05:14 fabiano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


Imagine WC4 was released and everybody you knew switched over to the newer game.

Imagine the forum you used to so lovely participate in was flooded by newcomers saying that MVP and all other top SC2 players should switch to WC4 because SC2 is an old game and is not user friendly and is too hard to play.

Imagine all the SC2 foreign tournaments disappearing into thin air. Now the only pro game tournament is GSL, and Gom still has not released any date when the next one will happen, not even guarantees there will be one after the last.

Imagine Day[9] daylies on SC2 were gone, now he's doing WC4 daylies.

Imagine TL now has changed its focus to WC4, and although they still keep good work with SC2, the vast majority of the users only talk about WC4. From TSL 42 on, now no more SC2, but WC4.

Imagine that out of all SC2 teams, half of them disbanded, some focusing on WC4.

And worst of all, imagine that WC4 is so much worse than SC2 in almost every single aspect from your point of view, after playing it and not enjoying almost anything in it.

How would you feel?


Your argument is completely invalid. First of all, the proposed WC4 scene would not replace the fans from SC2, simply add to the number of individuals in the eSports community which would only be a good thing. Also, if we were to put this to scale, your theoretical WC4 would have to have a fanbase of probably over 20 million people, an arbitrary number, but if we scale the numbers, that isn't a ridiculous number. This would mean that there would be a definitive option for televised eSports, which would be fucking awesome. Which would mean there would be space for SC2 on television as well, even if not as large relative to your proposed WC4.

So if you ask how I would feel, it would be a little bit like heaven.

Second of all, the comparison of BW to SC2 is much different than comparing SC2 to a potential WC4; while they are both eSports, they would be completely different games, whereas BW and SC2 share many aspects.

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people
ffreakk
Profile Joined September 2010
Singapore2155 Posts
January 29 2012 21:01 GMT
#291
On January 30 2012 05:14 fabiano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


Imagine WC4 was released and everybody you knew switched over to the newer game.

Imagine the forum you used to so lovely participate in was flooded by newcomers saying that MVP and all other top SC2 players should switch to WC4 because SC2 is an old game and is not user friendly and is too hard to play.

Imagine all the SC2 foreign tournaments disappearing into thin air. Now the only pro game tournament is GSL, and Gom still has not released any date when the next one will happen, not even guarantees there will be one after the last.

Imagine Day[9] daylies on SC2 were gone, now he's doing WC4 daylies.

Imagine TL now has changed its focus to WC4, and although they still keep good work with SC2, the vast majority of the users only talk about WC4. From TSL 42 on, now no more SC2, but WC4.

Imagine that out of all SC2 teams, half of them disbanded, some focusing on WC4.

And worst of all, imagine that WC4 is so much worse than SC2 in almost every single aspect from your point of view, after playing it and not enjoying almost anything in it.

How would you feel?


I don't think this is even possible for the guy to imagine. Some things only become visible once they hit you square in the face.

And look at all those "hurting eSport", "flagship of eSport".. youch >.<

Oh, and nicely said, Hinanawi <3
Look. Only Forward. See. Only Victory.
ClutchSC
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada34 Posts
January 29 2012 21:06 GMT
#292
On January 30 2012 05:28 Hinanawi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many BW fans feel the same way: We don't give a shit about 'eSports'. We give a shit about competitive Brood War. 'X is hurting ESPORTS' started off as a joke, but I think some of you actually believe this. You actually believe that I'm supposed to support competitive SC2, LoL, Halo, and CoD just because they're video games and therefore 'esports'. You might say "but a lot of people don't take competitive video games seriously, so that's why we all need to band together!", and that would make sense...IF SC2 WAS A GOOD GAME, which it isn't. Games like that only serve to lower the opinion of competitive video games as a whole.

So there's the whole cult saying if you say that a game is terrible it's 'hurting eSports' and is taboo. I'm sorry, but I didn't purchase a ticket on this cruise, and if SC2 is really the 'flagship' at the moment then I'd watch out for icebergs and make sure you have enough lifeboats ready on the S.S.ESPORTS.


The point you make is a somewhat fair one; however I have to disagree with the point you make about competitive video games. First of all, if you give a shit about competitive BW, you should support competitive eSports. The only way your beloved BW will grow is by tapping into the massive fanbase which has sprung up around SC2. I would disagree with your statement that SC2 isn't a good game, but that is subjective. However, you follow up your subjective statement, with a ridiculous one; saying that games that aren't BW lower the opinion of competitive video games is totally unfounded and ridiculous. All this opinion does is create a vision of elitist BW players which will prevent SC2 fans from taking part in the BW community and watching replays. And if you are looking at this objectively, the BW community has much more growth to experience from working alongside the SC2 community than vice-versa.

So all I ask, is that BW players follow the OP's example, and drop the fucking elitist attitude, because yes, I'm going to drop the cliche. BW Elitists are killing eSports.

User was temp banned for this post.
People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people
ClutchSC
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada34 Posts
January 29 2012 21:08 GMT
#293
On January 30 2012 05:48 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 05:36 KenNage wrote:
i feel the same way Hinanawi does, i dont give a crap about esports, i only care about bw

I am a die hard sc:bw fan, but I actually do want eSports to succeed. And it's not so bw is played forever. I honestly hope SC2's end result can turn into the epic game BW made SC vanilla. I love watching competitive video games because it's such an intense mentality that so many people are missing out on by not watching the pros play. I want to go to MLG and be in love with the side events because the competitiveness of the game has escalated in the other genres too. There is such a future for competitive gaming and it would be awesome to see it grow into fruition. And on a personal note, if bw doesn't last for the next decade I really hope SC2 evolves into the game I know it can be. When I watched DRG vs MMA finals I actually was cheering like I do for BW. I'm following the SC2 scene now because I want to be personal with the players by the time the game does succeed and I know it will.

Nothing will hurt eSports. Just love the game. Love others who love their game. And encourage each other to continue the love for the game they are interested in. We are all brothers of a great community and united we can bring this to the rest of the world.


This is exactly the type of BW community member that I wish the entire community would follow the example of.
People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people
sour_eraser
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada932 Posts
January 29 2012 21:17 GMT
#294
On January 30 2012 06:06 ClutchSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 05:28 Hinanawi wrote:
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many BW fans feel the same way: We don't give a shit about 'eSports'. We give a shit about competitive Brood War. 'X is hurting ESPORTS' started off as a joke, but I think some of you actually believe this. You actually believe that I'm supposed to support competitive SC2, LoL, Halo, and CoD just because they're video games and therefore 'esports'. You might say "but a lot of people don't take competitive video games seriously, so that's why we all need to band together!", and that would make sense...IF SC2 WAS A GOOD GAME, which it isn't. Games like that only serve to lower the opinion of competitive video games as a whole.

So there's the whole cult saying if you say that a game is terrible it's 'hurting eSports' and is taboo. I'm sorry, but I didn't purchase a ticket on this cruise, and if SC2 is really the 'flagship' at the moment then I'd watch out for icebergs and make sure you have enough lifeboats ready on the S.S.ESPORTS.


The point you make is a somewhat fair one; however I have to disagree with the point you make about competitive video games. First of all, if you give a shit about competitive BW, you should support competitive eSports. The only way your beloved BW will grow is by tapping into the massive fanbase which has sprung up around SC2. I would disagree with your statement that SC2 isn't a good game, but that is subjective. However, you follow up your subjective statement, with a ridiculous one; saying that games that aren't BW lower the opinion of competitive video games is totally unfounded and ridiculous. All this opinion does is create a vision of elitist BW players which will prevent SC2 fans from taking part in the BW community and watching replays. And if you are looking at this objectively, the BW community has much more growth to experience from working alongside the SC2 community than vice-versa.

So all I ask, is that BW players follow the OP's example, and drop the fucking elitist attitude, because yes, I'm going to drop the cliche. BW Elitists are killing eSports.


SC2 and Massive Fanbase?
I am confused


User was temp banned for this post.
"What's the f*cking point of censoring a letter if everyone and their mother knows what it stands for.... F*cking morons"
RageCommodore
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany912 Posts
January 29 2012 21:20 GMT
#295
On January 30 2012 05:48 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 05:36 KenNage wrote:
i feel the same way Hinanawi does, i dont give a crap about esports, i only care about bw

I am a die hard sc:bw fan, but I actually do want eSports to succeed. And it's not so bw is played forever. I honestly hope SC2's end result can turn into the epic game BW made SC vanilla. I love watching competitive video games because it's such an intense mentality that so many people are missing out on by not watching the pros play. I want to go to MLG and be in love with the side events because the competitiveness of the game has escalated in the other genres too. There is such a future for competitive gaming and it would be awesome to see it grow into fruition. And on a personal note, if bw doesn't last for the next decade I really hope SC2 evolves into the game I know it can be. When I watched DRG vs MMA finals I actually was cheering like I do for BW. I'm following the SC2 scene now because I want to be personal with the players by the time the game does succeed and I know it will.

Nothing will hurt eSports. Just love the game. Love others who love their game. And encourage each other to continue the love for the game they are interested in. We are all brothers of a great community and united we can bring this to the rest of the world.


Would somebody please give this man a medal?
BW: sGs.sTaRfaLL SC2: MarojiN | fan of: Darkforce, DBS, Last, Mvp, BoguS/InnoVatioN | Executer vs Choosy on Gladiator - Never forget T-T
blubbdavid
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Switzerland2412 Posts
January 29 2012 21:24 GMT
#296
2010 was such a nice year. No one back then on TL even knew what "ESPORTS" was, and SC2 players were playing SC2, and BW players were playing BW, and both fanbases were insulting eachother as usual. Then someone made a joke about "hurting ESPORTS", and now, in 2011 we have masses of TL users following the semi-religious concept of "ESPORTS".
Ahh, in the past, everything was better.
What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all other? Whatever you desire - that is here. Tower of God ¦¦Nutella, drink of the Gods
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 21:25:53
January 29 2012 21:24 GMT
#297
Fine, replace all WC4 with SC3 then.

you guys that arent following a scene that is slowly but steadily fading away just dont know how it feels.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Hinanawi
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2250 Posts
January 29 2012 21:26 GMT
#298
On January 30 2012 06:06 ClutchSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 05:28 Hinanawi wrote:
On January 30 2012 04:53 ClutchSC wrote:
Second of all, I have to address a large majority of the BW community at large. What the fuck is your problem? Yes, BW has a higher skill cap as a game so far. Yes, the rivalries and games are more defined and can be extremely epic. And yes, the user interface of SC2 is very forgiving. But why, oh why do you have to shit all over SC2 constantly. We're all working towards developing eSports, but whenever I peruse through the BW section, all I see is hating on the SC2 scene; this just shouldn't happen. All that this achieves is the total alienation of a massive fanbase that BW players should be trying to appeal to. This is my request to a vast majority of the BW community; GROW THE FUCK UP. Grow up, so we can make eSports even bigger; SC2 has become the flagship of eSports and as much as you don't want to accept that, you have to. Once the BW community does accept that, we can all move forwards. Who knows, if the SC2 community gets into BW enough, there could even be MLG events that include it but this can only take once the BW community learns to drop the elitist attitude.


I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many BW fans feel the same way: We don't give a shit about 'eSports'. We give a shit about competitive Brood War. 'X is hurting ESPORTS' started off as a joke, but I think some of you actually believe this. You actually believe that I'm supposed to support competitive SC2, LoL, Halo, and CoD just because they're video games and therefore 'esports'. You might say "but a lot of people don't take competitive video games seriously, so that's why we all need to band together!", and that would make sense...IF SC2 WAS A GOOD GAME, which it isn't. Games like that only serve to lower the opinion of competitive video games as a whole.

So there's the whole cult saying if you say that a game is terrible it's 'hurting eSports' and is taboo. I'm sorry, but I didn't purchase a ticket on this cruise, and if SC2 is really the 'flagship' at the moment then I'd watch out for icebergs and make sure you have enough lifeboats ready on the S.S.ESPORTS.


The point you make is a somewhat fair one; however I have to disagree with the point you make about competitive video games. First of all, if you give a shit about competitive BW, you should support competitive eSports. The only way your beloved BW will grow is by tapping into the massive fanbase which has sprung up around SC2. I would disagree with your statement that SC2 isn't a good game, but that is subjective. However, you follow up your subjective statement, with a ridiculous one; saying that games that aren't BW lower the opinion of competitive video games is totally unfounded and ridiculous. All this opinion does is create a vision of elitist BW players which will prevent SC2 fans from taking part in the BW community and watching replays. And if you are looking at this objectively, the BW community has much more growth to experience from working alongside the SC2 community than vice-versa.

So all I ask, is that BW players follow the OP's example, and drop the fucking elitist attitude, because yes, I'm going to drop the cliche. BW Elitists are killing eSports.


Bolded the important part. I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If it did, then all those CoD4 players would have resulted in a massive surge to the competitive Quake scene. I've accepted BW's eventual death, I see the writing on the walls, I'm not blind.

I don't need your sympathy, your "oh you poor dying BW community, if only you'd admit that SC2 is awesome then maybe some of us would grace your pathetic little forum with our presence and maybe you can survive just a bit longer".

What you have is the newer game, more fresh blood, more players. What you want, and lack, is validation. Validation from a proven gem of a competitive video game like Brood War. That's why you make these ridiculous posts where you lord your healthier competitive scene over us and say "Come on, just say it. Tell me my game is good, tell me it's a worthy 'ESPORT'. Who are you to deny me this? Don't you know your game is dying? I'll stop calling you an elitist if you just tell me what I want to hear and say that SC2 is the new flagship of competitive video games!"

It's not, and from what I've seen of HotS so far, I doubt it ever will be. I'm not a nostalgic elitist who hates things because they're popular. If and when a new competitive RTS as good as BW comes out, I'll be the first one in line to support it. It just saddens me that it won't be Starcraft 2, the game that shares the same name and should have been good enough to take that mantle.
Favorite progamers (in order): Flash, Stork, Violet, Sea. ||| Get better soon, Violet!
Bleak
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Turkey3059 Posts
January 29 2012 21:37 GMT
#299
On January 30 2012 06:24 blubbdavid wrote:
2010 was such a nice year. No one back then on TL even knew what "ESPORTS" was, and SC2 players were playing SC2, and BW players were playing BW, and both fanbases were insulting eachother as usual. Then someone made a joke about "hurting ESPORTS", and now, in 2011 we have masses of TL users following the semi-religious concept of "ESPORTS".
Ahh, in the past, everything was better.


I like WhiteRa's version. "Cybersports" Sounds much cooler imo.
"I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance. "
ffreakk
Profile Joined September 2010
Singapore2155 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 21:39:12
January 29 2012 21:37 GMT
#300
On January 30 2012 06:08 ClutchSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2012 05:48 BisuDagger wrote:
On January 30 2012 05:36 KenNage wrote:
i feel the same way Hinanawi does, i dont give a crap about esports, i only care about bw

I am a die hard sc:bw fan, but I actually do want eSports to succeed. And it's not so bw is played forever. I honestly hope SC2's end result can turn into the epic game BW made SC vanilla. I love watching competitive video games because it's such an intense mentality that so many people are missing out on by not watching the pros play. I want to go to MLG and be in love with the side events because the competitiveness of the game has escalated in the other genres too. There is such a future for competitive gaming and it would be awesome to see it grow into fruition. And on a personal note, if bw doesn't last for the next decade I really hope SC2 evolves into the game I know it can be. When I watched DRG vs MMA finals I actually was cheering like I do for BW. I'm following the SC2 scene now because I want to be personal with the players by the time the game does succeed and I know it will.

Nothing will hurt eSports. Just love the game. Love others who love their game. And encourage each other to continue the love for the game they are interested in. We are all brothers of a great community and united we can bring this to the rest of the world.


This is exactly the type of BW community member that I wish the entire community would follow the example of.


I don't s'pose you expect people to reply "Your wish is my command"?

We didn't waltz into your SC2 section and sh*t all over it, so you ll be hard-pressed to find justifications for your coming here with words like "What the fuck is your problem?" or "Grow the fuck up!". We (not all, but a good number) don't share your "eSport" ideal, and also happen to think that your favourite game is trash. We were also decent enough to only discuss that in our own secluded area where you people usually don't frequent. We also don't appreciate you people waltzing in here, insulting us, then have the balls to think that they can tell us what we should think or do.
Look. Only Forward. See. Only Victory.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 951
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings216
CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech69
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45413
Shuttle 13015
FanTaSy 1550
Hyuk 1223
BeSt 611
Horang2 498
Pusan 358
Mini 337
Stork 238
EffOrt 230
[ Show more ]
Last 157
Zeus 153
Killer 135
Mind 92
sorry 78
Soma 62
Hyun 60
Sea.KH 56
ggaemo 49
PianO 49
Snow 46
ToSsGirL 38
hero 35
Hm[arnc] 31
Bale 29
Aegong 22
JYJ 17
zelot 17
NaDa 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi927
XcaliburYe375
qojqva41
Counter-Strike
fl0m2427
byalli988
x6flipin497
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu299
Other Games
gofns32752
singsing3175
B2W.Neo969
Hui .157
Livibee138
ArmadaUGS93
Mew2King65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick660
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream80
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1178
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 29m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 29m
Replay Cast
10h 29m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 29m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 29m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.