• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:35
CEST 21:35
KST 04:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8034 users

AoV iCCup Starleague Replay Sales - Page 5

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 00:07:58
April 10 2011 00:07 GMT
#81
I think a good compromise would to make 100% of the earnings go the next tournament instead of 90%. I mean 10% between 2 or 3 people really isn't that much anyways. In my honest opinion, I don't really care about the whole thing, it seems kinda fair even though selling replays does put a bad taste in my mouth. However, I think it would shut people up if no one was gaining any profit from the replays.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
April 10 2011 00:21 GMT
#82
I don't see what the big deal about this is....I pretty much see it as "Donate $5 or $10 for the next tourny and receive replays to show our gratitude." But, w/e get all up and arms about $5 or $10 all you want.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
April 10 2011 17:48 GMT
#83
As far as making money, 90% goes to another BW tournament. This is a good thing. If you disagree about the 10% going back to Game or noOne then I think we just have differing opinions. Yes, I know it sets it a precedent but 5-10% for organizing, finding sponsors, etc strikes me as reasonable. Chill/Day/Artosis et al. may not have asked for any money in return, but as I see it they certainly would have been more than deserving.

The issue is that this community has a 10 year tradition of community projects being done for free. BWChart, RWAs, PenguinPlug, ChaosLauncher, WGTour, PGTour, iCCup, LMRB, and countless others. Now a few guys organize what must be the millionth tournament BW has had, and they want financial compensation for their 'hard work.' Those countless projects which not only needed hard work, but skilled persons to accomplish... That is, often someone who actually has training in programming. Yeah, it's just a little insulting to the rich tradition of BW Community History.

It should have been 100%. It would have been dumb anyway, but at least it wouldn't have been insulting. Think about how much this game has given you, and how much this community has given you. There's is nothing you could possibly do that would get your out of your debt. That's why BW community projects are free
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
trulla
Profile Joined February 2010
Chile303 Posts
April 10 2011 20:26 GMT
#84
On April 11 2011 02:48 Chef wrote:
Show nested quote +
As far as making money, 90% goes to another BW tournament. This is a good thing. If you disagree about the 10% going back to Game or noOne then I think we just have differing opinions. Yes, I know it sets it a precedent but 5-10% for organizing, finding sponsors, etc strikes me as reasonable. Chill/Day/Artosis et al. may not have asked for any money in return, but as I see it they certainly would have been more than deserving.

The issue is that this community has a 10 year tradition of community projects being done for free. BWChart, RWAs, PenguinPlug, ChaosLauncher, WGTour, PGTour, iCCup, LMRB, and countless others. Now a few guys organize what must be the millionth tournament BW has had, and they want financial compensation for their 'hard work.' Those countless projects which not only needed hard work, but skilled persons to accomplish... That is, often someone who actually has training in programming. Yeah, it's just a little insulting to the rich tradition of BW Community History.


I couldn't agree more.
Sea[Shield] !!
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
April 10 2011 20:35 GMT
#85
I couldn't agree more, either. The part you negated mention of was the release of Starcraft II. I don't need to write an essay to explain how insanely hard it is to compile funds. Not that I'm no good at it, but this is just one of the many routes that needs to be taken in a post-war community to do something bigger and larger than someones McDonald's meal ($5). Despite that, people are buying and all of this masterbreti self-important drama is just helping my cause. There couldn't be a less logical and overzealous BW contributor, as after seeing his argument, people realize just how simple the concept is.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 20:53:22
April 10 2011 20:49 GMT
#86
On April 10 2011 09:21 Shotcoder wrote:
I don't see what the big deal about this is....I pretty much see it as "Donate $5 or $10 for the next tourny and receive replays to show our gratitude." But, w/e get all up and arms about $5 or $10 all you want.


Exactly.

Game has been doing a lot for foreigner broodwar where all the old heroes have jumped ship to sc2. I don't know where the BW love went with these guys. Many are just going where the flock is, to profit from the flock. If game ever wanted to profit, he'd gone sc2 too, for sure. If someone puts time and effort in BW right now, I'm not gonna question his intentions.
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
April 10 2011 20:57 GMT
#87
Yes, the situation is somewhat dire, but couldn't you just ask for donations instead? ...and make it 100% focused on upcoming tournament funds? (You can't use sc2 as an argument for staff payment). I thoroughly believe you would actually get more money that way. Of course, I don't know that for sure, but personally, I would never ever pay for a replay no matter the cause or players. I would, however, certainly donate some money if it would help the foreign scene bloom again in this dry season.
The reason for this goes back to one of my earlier points, that I believe replays to be the players' creation and thus they "own" them and can decide what to do with them. Did you ask the players if they had a problem with you selling their replays?
화이팅
masterbreti
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)2711 Posts
April 10 2011 21:03 GMT
#88
On April 11 2011 05:57 XsebT wrote:
Yes, the situation is somewhat dire, but couldn't you just ask for donations instead? ...and make it 100% focused on upcoming tournament funds? (You can't use sc2 as an argument for staff payment). I thoroughly believe you would actually get more money that way. Of course, I don't know that for sure, but personally, I would never ever pay for a replay no matter the cause or players. I would, however, certainly donate some money if it would help the foreign scene bloom again in this dry season.
The reason for this goes back to one of my earlier points, that I believe replays to be the players' creation and thus they "own" them and can decide what to do with them. Did you ask the players if they had a problem with you selling their replays?



This. if all my $10 were going to the next tournament, i would for sure pay the $10. i understand things are in more need than before. but not bad enough to warrant payments for staff.

tryummm
Profile Joined August 2009
774 Posts
April 10 2011 21:07 GMT
#89
I think $5 for 9000 replays is completely fair. The replays are more for enjoyment, as you would be much better off watching free professional VODs on youtube if you were looking to grow in terms of skill. The replays can also help people strategically, if used wisely. If the average game was only 10 minutes, (9000 replays)(10 minutes) = 90,000 minutes = 1500 hours of entertainment for only $5.

That is $.003 per hour.

Now I have doubt the average game will even be 10 minutes since games end after just a few seconds for lag/etc...but I think I made my point. Its not like Joekim/NoOne is going to make a fortune off 10% of $5. They only get $0.25 each per person who buys the replays.

Anyways, someone will probably put the replays on a download site regardless, so it would probably be better to just release the replays for free and ask for donations? Its not like you hold copyright claims over the replays and can prevent someone from doing this.
masterbreti
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)2711 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 21:21:22
April 10 2011 21:20 GMT
#90
On April 11 2011 06:07 tryummm wrote:
I think $5 for 9000 replays is completely fair. The replays are more for enjoyment, as you would be much better off watching free professional VODs on youtube if you were looking to grow in terms of skill. The replays can also help people strategically, if used wisely. If the average game was only 10 minutes, (9000 replays)(10 minutes) = 90,000 minutes = 1500 hours of entertainment for only $5.

That is $.003 per hour.

Now I have doubt the average game will even be 10 minutes since games end after just a few seconds for lag/etc...but I think I made my point. Its not like Joekim/NoOne is going to make a fortune off 10% of $5. They only get $0.25 each per person who buys the replays.

Anyways, someone will probably put the replays on a download site regardless, so it would probably be better to just release the replays for free and ask for donations? Its not like you hold copyright claims over the replays and can prevent someone from doing this.



its more than fair in terms of money for the replays.

@Game, look, if you're willing not to take the 10% off my donation, i'd be more than willing to donate my money to the tournament for the replays. because i want to support bw tournaments.
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
April 10 2011 21:49 GMT
#91
On April 08 2011 18:54 Game wrote:
P.S. all donations are welcome.

SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
Shade[AoV]
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States43 Posts
April 11 2011 23:46 GMT
#92
This is to good of an opportunity to miss out on imo. +1
DejaVu119
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States131 Posts
April 26 2011 03:04 GMT
#93
I read through many (but not all) of the comments, so if my questions/concerns are answered in them please redirect me to the proper posts.

1) Why are the number of people who are buying the replay pack anonymous?? If 90% of the proceeds are going to the next tournament, it should be VERY public how many replay packs are purchased to assure buyers that 90% is actually going to the next tournament(s). This is very much my number one concern. After certain periods of time, Game should be REQUIRED to PROVE the number of replay packs purchased (I'm sure you can come up with a way to keep the names of the people who purchased private). Since 10% of the proceeds are being pocketed, this is not a straight "donation" and should be public.

2) Is there a benefit to this purchased replay pack as opposed to other packs released by other tournaments? For example, is this replay pack very well organized by match-up, map, quality, etc.? If so, then adding a price to it makes some sense.

3) What's to stop one person from buying them and just releasing them to everyone else who wants it? I'm not particularly interested in the replays; it just seems like this is what is most likely going to happen. You don't actually "own" all the replays do you? Are you really going to go after someone who re-releases them?

My main concern is outlined in point one. If that could be addressed, I would appreciate it.
soujiro_
Profile Joined June 2010
Uruguay5195 Posts
April 26 2011 03:11 GMT
#94
just be happy he is releasing the replays for 5 dollars
try to get any tsl replay (not ladder) if you can -_-
ace hwaiting!!
MiraKul
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Malaysia498 Posts
April 26 2011 03:14 GMT
#95
^^should have let the thread die and never be bumped again lol.. was wondering too who bought the reps...
ovrpwrd
DejaVu119
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States131 Posts
April 26 2011 04:06 GMT
#96
On April 26 2011 12:14 MiraKul wrote:
^^should have let the thread die and never be bumped again lol.. was wondering too who bought the reps...


I disagree. If anyone bought the reps, they have a right to know they weren't lied to or scammed. That's all I'm really saying. Document what happens with the money. It's really not that hard.
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
April 26 2011 04:11 GMT
#97
On April 26 2011 12:11 soujiro_ wrote:
just be happy he is releasing the replays for 5 dollars
try to get any tsl replay (not ladder) if you can -_-


Actually you can...
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
dRaW
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada5744 Posts
April 26 2011 05:12 GMT
#98
Wow, this thread is a great read.
-> Chef, he may be sarcastic but I don't agree that you guys call him a troll he's quite a genius and I believe an english major, so you can't win a war of words with him.

The only problems are just the way that game operates. He might have good intentions but the actions taken are rather troublesome, i.e making everything suspicious and bm when already people don't like or trust his character.

Donations and public effort (activity regularly, community etc) are the way to make the BW scene flourish but everyone needs to be on the same page.

As for if you will donate or not, you can decide... and continue to make this thread an interesting thread as I often get bored and roam the forums for stuff like this.
I don't need luck, luck is for noobs, good luck to you though
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 07:10:50
April 26 2011 06:57 GMT
#99
On April 26 2011 12:04 DejaVu119 wrote:
I read through many (but not all) of the comments, so if my questions/concerns are answered in them please redirect me to the proper posts.

1) Why are the number of people who are buying the replay pack anonymous?? If 90% of the proceeds are going to the next tournament, it should be VERY public how many replay packs are purchased to assure buyers that 90% is actually going to the next tournament(s). This is very much my number one concern. After certain periods of time, Game should be REQUIRED to PROVE the number of replay packs purchased (I'm sure you can come up with a way to keep the names of the people who purchased private). Since 10% of the proceeds are being pocketed, this is not a straight "donation" and should be public.

2) Is there a benefit to this purchased replay pack as opposed to other packs released by other tournaments? For example, is this replay pack very well organized by match-up, map, quality, etc.? If so, then adding a price to it makes some sense.

3) What's to stop one person from buying them and just releasing them to everyone else who wants it? I'm not particularly interested in the replays; it just seems like this is what is most likely going to happen. You don't actually "own" all the replays do you? Are you really going to go after someone who re-releases them?

My main concern is outlined in point one. If that could be addressed, I would appreciate it.


To Dejavu119: Are you Deja the guy Semih left? That's just curiosity. But, furthermore, here's me addressing your well thought out points.

1) The people who are buying the replay packs can easily post in the thread that they bought them. That is the reason behind me saying that they are anonymous. People take flack for any support of anything I do, which is a blatant lulz for me. Therefore, I hold the option for solid minded contributors to remain anonymous, otherwise they can easily post in this thread or any others within the limits of AoV iCCup Starleague (so they don't get MOD sniped). I don't feel the need to prove anything. Simply because I don't feel the need and have never seen anyone else do so. And I by no means an innovator, just a strong enhancer. But as I said, anyone can say that they bought.

2) By your definition of organized, no it is not. It is broken down by players, stages, and levels in the tournament. But no, I did not go through almost 9500 replays... in fact proposing that is insane and seems almost to the point of phishing for licensing of byproduct. Yes, that was sarcasm for anyone who missed it. By no means is this going to be a huge part of the sponsoring for my largest tournament, just a chance for the community to give back to something it seeks so desperately.

3) I have no intention of "going after" someone. If you actually read the OP I point out that exactly what you said is going to happen, and that I won't release them without 50 pre-orders. So... reading the OP would've answered that question.

To Draw (KidCanada): I'm very secretive, always have been in all facets of my life. Specifically because I feel I am better than everyone else. Before the next person comes along and misconstrues that statement, listen. Until people start trying to help the community instead of whining and trolling 24/7, they are just murmuring voices, therefore I am better than them. It's actually very simple logic. So while people may not like me, it's hard to like people whom are honest about their ambitions and thoughts. Sure, I could kiss ass to a bunch of people who make absolutely no contribution to something they seem to have martyred for and hold so dear, or at least that's how they try to portray themselves. But in hindsight and retrospect, I don't have enough time or want in my life to do such a time consuming thing. The grass is greener on the other side anyhow. Summary: talk is cheap.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
HawaiianPig
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada5155 Posts
April 26 2011 07:51 GMT
#100
Just throwing this out there: This all reminds me of Combat-Ex asking for donations.
AdministratorNot actually Hawaiian.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 193
ProTech157
JuggernautJason62
CosmosSc2 28
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 755
White-Ra 199
Dewaltoss 103
Hyuk 92
firebathero 74
Trap 49
Sacsri 23
Bale 15
Dota 2
Gorgc8449
qojqva1404
Counter-Strike
fl0m1505
Fnx 829
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King77
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3525
Khaldor1145
crisheroes1072
Liquid`Hasu533
Other Games
summit1g5498
FrodaN1760
XBOCT265
C9.Mang0176
ArmadaUGS167
QueenE64
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream71
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie937
• Shiphtur315
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 25m
CranKy Ducklings
14h 25m
Online Event
15h 25m
FEL
20h 25m
AI Arena Tournament
21h 25m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.