• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:04
CEST 01:04
KST 08:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War665.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13208 users

[CSL+] Free agents in playoffs? - Page 6

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
d3_crescentia
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4054 Posts
November 11 2009 23:04 GMT
#101
On November 12 2009 07:19 vx70GTOJudgexv wrote:
I'm confused as to why this mercing system exists in the first place. Yes, it sucks to not have enough people at your school interested in the game to start a team. I go to the wonderfully non-StarCraft oriented University of New Haven. I'm literally a block around the corner from Yale who had a team last year (not sure if they do this year), and I talked with one or two of the guys from the Yale team last season (Hi Dullahan). But I'm not going to go over and try and play for Yale because my school doesn't have the people necessary to form a team. It's the same as a team sport. My school just got football back this year, but if we didn't it's not like the guys could've gone over and tried out for Yale. It just doesn't work that way.

I voted "No." because on principle, if Yale, for example, makes the playoffs on the back of a merc, it's not really Yale in the playoffs, it's that merc.

The system exists because some people DO want to have that team atmosphere. Despite the name, a community college rarely has a strong community behind it - SC or otherwise - and so allowing mercs is a matter of being able to draw people into your community. It should be up to the players in question and the teams to work out whether or not they're comfortable having some other guy around playing in their matches in the first place... but it's up to CSL to draw the line where participation stops and carrying starts as long as free agents are allowed.
once, not long ago, there was a moon here
itzme_petey
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States1400 Posts
November 11 2009 23:17 GMT
#102
Mercs should not be able to play period imo. They inflate a team's strength. If you use Mercs, then the University of Texas is at a disadvantage. We only have 4 members this year, but we are still making ends meet. I believe that mercs should only be used in division play if the team has less than 4 players. Some teams have mercs and have more than 4 players. How does that make the weaker player that goes to the school feel?

Please do not allow mercs in the team. Defeats the point in a "College" SL, just rename it to Geography SL.
"Last night, I played a game.. as I recall it was a strategy game.. Peeked around and what did I see, a girl playing starcraft better than me.. and I jizzed in my pants.."
Anduril
Profile Joined May 2009
United States248 Posts
November 11 2009 23:21 GMT
#103
While we are discussing the rules, any team that used a free agent from a completely different state should be disqualified. Part the rule states,2. The other university is reasonably close geographically.
If some team in Georgia used someone from Pennsylvania, when Pennsylvania has at least one team in this csl, they should be disqualified because that is a direct violation of the rule.

If we want to talk about consistency, the staff apparently thought it was ok to bend the rules and allow that player to play for a team down in Georgia. I do not see why they can't bend the rules for the playoffs.
Dknight
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States5225 Posts
November 11 2009 23:22 GMT
#104
What was the point in allowing mercs to play in the first place if they weren't allowed to play in the playoffs? They'll have a huge influence on the league with their impact felt by every team. You suddenly take out the mercs and some teams probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs while other teams didn't qualify without using mercs. Changing the rules will ruin the integrity's league this point in the season. Learn from your mistakes, finish out the season in a consistent manner, and make the needed changes for next season.
WGT<3. Former CL/NW head admin.
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
November 11 2009 23:24 GMT
#105
maybe i should just go north 1 mile to koreatown and recruit all the koreans to play for USC in CSL.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
November 11 2009 23:25 GMT
#106
Read my other posts about that Scott. Although I agree with you that it was a mistake. I'm not going to repeat for a 5th time why we made this rule in the first place.
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
vx70GTOJudgexv
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3161 Posts
November 11 2009 23:55 GMT
#107
On November 12 2009 08:04 d3_crescentia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2009 07:19 vx70GTOJudgexv wrote:
I'm confused as to why this mercing system exists in the first place. Yes, it sucks to not have enough people at your school interested in the game to start a team. I go to the wonderfully non-StarCraft oriented University of New Haven. I'm literally a block around the corner from Yale who had a team last year (not sure if they do this year), and I talked with one or two of the guys from the Yale team last season (Hi Dullahan). But I'm not going to go over and try and play for Yale because my school doesn't have the people necessary to form a team. It's the same as a team sport. My school just got football back this year, but if we didn't it's not like the guys could've gone over and tried out for Yale. It just doesn't work that way.

I voted "No." because on principle, if Yale, for example, makes the playoffs on the back of a merc, it's not really Yale in the playoffs, it's that merc.

The system exists because some people DO want to have that team atmosphere. Despite the name, a community college rarely has a strong community behind it - SC or otherwise - and so allowing mercs is a matter of being able to draw people into your community. It should be up to the players in question and the teams to work out whether or not they're comfortable having some other guy around playing in their matches in the first place... but it's up to CSL to draw the line where participation stops and carrying starts as long as free agents are allowed.


If people want a team environment, then they have two options:

1) Do what I'm doing - try and spark interest in their school and get a team together to compete next season (if any of you bastards reading this go to the University of New Haven, show your damn faces - I'm easily accessible, I have to listen anyways, I'm a USGA Senator, ffs).

2) If you do not want to do that, and your college has no team, find another event - try and revive NASPT/L or w/e it was abbreviated to. That was only limited by border lines, and merging of teams was easier.

imo, ofc.
(-_-) BW for ever. #1 Iris fan.
shindigs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4795 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-12 00:29:47
November 12 2009 00:09 GMT
#108
I voted no. Fundamentally, it's unfair to have mercs play in the playoffs, since it is a college league afterall.

However, I do support a B-team league or JV CSL, where a limited amount of mercs can participate. It's always good to be more inclusive. Or you could have regional leagues under a college sponsor. I'm all for being inclusive, but mercs in csl is a bit unfair to people who do go to the college and don't get to play. randomKo makes a valid point

EDIT: I think this season, however, we should finish the league with the same rules were mercs can play during season but not in the playoffs. It may be unfair to some, but it is consistent.

Then teams should start training up their team members who actually go to the college with the mercs.
Photographer@shindags || twitch.tv/shindigs
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-12 00:34:59
November 12 2009 00:30 GMT
#109
Clearly the unspoken supporters of this motion have nothing new to add. The nay-sayers have already put forth most of their reasons, and apparently the CSL+ management has decided upon a conclusion. I guess the initial rule didn't make sense but this decision would make less. I hope that next season CSL+ does not allow mercenaries so that they back up the words they spoke here (about it being a college sport, collegiate whatever, were opposed to the decision in the first place). If not, then I'd be inclined to believe in the mediocrity of the organization in place, and would feel robbed if they say A now but do B later.

Xeris, and mainly OneOther, there was no need to be dicks, as I said 3 pages ago. I approached this calmly. Fuck you.

I would like this topic to be closed but I can see that there might be more discussion on the matter, so I don't know how much my opinion as the op matters.

EDIT: Also, fuck you for demeaning the team in saying that they will get buttraped by someone else when they have never played each other. No need to disrespect actual people, members of CSL+ and TL, like that. Need an ego boost? Go look at some fat porn or something. Don't talk shit about other teams like they are pieces of trash.
Peace~
StartAgain
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Japan52 Posts
November 12 2009 00:36 GMT
#110
random_korean, maybe your school has so many players for a B/C team, but not for the many other schools out there...
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
November 12 2009 00:40 GMT
#111
Also, MCC has a RUTGERS TRANSFER PROGRAM where I take classes on RUTGERS CAMPUS for credits in RUTGERS UNIVERSITY. Wtf?
Peace~
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
November 12 2009 00:45 GMT
#112
Your situation is the only reason I consented to have a merc rule because the case was so unique.
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
pandabearguy
Profile Joined June 2008
United States252 Posts
November 12 2009 00:57 GMT
#113
On November 12 2009 08:01 randomKo_Orean wrote:
Hell, our top 10 all exceed C/C- ranking.


+ Show Spoiler +
and you still lost to irvine~~~~


Real talk though, there's no reason players that don't go to a school should be able to play for it. If students who have no affiliation with a school are allowed to play, then it's absurd that alumni aren't allowed to play as well.

If you attend a school without a starcraft team, start one! CSL+ isn't about concentrating talent in university powerhouses, it's about spreading the love of fair play and competition, and getting new students involved in the game, which is hard to do when a school's good players are fleeing to already established teams.
aka [ucr]pandabearg. much <3
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-12 01:45:48
November 12 2009 01:22 GMT
#114
On November 12 2009 09:30 fanatacist wrote:
Clearly the unspoken supporters of this motion have nothing new to add. The nay-sayers have already put forth most of their reasons, and apparently the CSL+ management has decided upon a conclusion. I guess the initial rule didn't make sense but this decision would make less. I hope that next season CSL+ does not allow mercenaries so that they back up the words they spoke here (about it being a college sport, collegiate whatever, were opposed to the decision in the first place). If not, then I'd be inclined to believe in the mediocrity of the organization in place, and would feel robbed if they say A now but do B later.

Xeris, and mainly OneOther, there was no need to be dicks, as I said 3 pages ago. I approached this calmly. Fuck you.

I would like this topic to be closed but I can see that there might be more discussion on the matter, so I don't know how much my opinion as the op matters.

EDIT: Also, fuck you for demeaning the team in saying that they will get buttraped by someone else when they have never played each other. No need to disrespect actual people, members of CSL+ and TL, like that. Need an ego boost? Go look at some fat porn or something. Don't talk shit about other teams like they are pieces of trash.

Hahahaha well this is really funny.
First of all, I didn't want to be a dick about it until you said:

On November 12 2009 05:09 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2009 05:06 OneOther wrote:
On November 12 2009 05:03 fanatacist wrote:
On November 12 2009 05:00 azndsh wrote:
s'ok, Duke is going to be a lot weaker next year when two of their players graduate

But I agree with not allowing mercs in the playoffs. Next season we will look into revising the free agent system, but for now it simply doesn't make sense for a college league to allow outside players to help them win games.

Then why allow mercs in the first place? It would make playoffs almost a farce because some teams that make it that far have been at least partially reliant on mercs, and therefore will be far inferior in playoffs against teams that don't have that necessity.

Nope, hardly any teams were dependent on mercs as much as Rutgers was on you. Won't make a difference.

We have 2 mercs, neither of which ever played an ace match with Clazz going 3-2 so far iirc, and 3-4 RU students on our lineup that have been regularly there. If you're going to be ignorant, at least don't be a dick about it.


I stated a fact. You and Clazz played 50% of 1v1 matches as mercs. But you decide to call me ignorant and a dick for no fucking reason. Do you want me to respond with respect? No, I am going to call you out on it. I actually went through the matchlist and used numbers to back it up.

I would also appreciate it if you didn't act like the the almighty righteous person. I would never mean to put down any team because I have respect for all the players and teams participating in this league. I simply meant it wouldn't make a difference, which is completely true and something that both sides would agree with: Georgia Tech would come on top of New River if they fielded their best. It's a truth, what do you want me to do about it? Are ESPN Analysts being dicks when they predict one team would beat another team? I am being objective. MasterAsia and Assem alone should be enough evidence. So stop being the Mr.Righteous. If anything, you are the selfish mother fucker considering the other teams Rutgers beat using mercs in half of their matches don't complain about not making the playoffs. "Now that we made playoffs, can we keep using mercs so that we have better chances against superior teams?" Tell that to all the other fucking teams that didn't even make the playoffs.

I am more irritated by you calling the playoffs "farce" just because you and Clazz won't get to play as mercs. And the fact that you guys played in half of the matches suggests your team is heavily dependent on you two. It's a perfectly legitimate playoffs because no other team was as dependent on mercs as yours. It's the truth. Face it.

So please, stop being hilarious. You are killing me.

EDIT: Talk about being god damn sensitive and having inferiority complex. Yes I truly believe Georgia Tech would beat New River no matter what. So do players on New River, as they said in this thread. Just because I say that the whole merc thing won't change the results, I am calling them pieces of trash? I am disrespecting CSL+, the community, and TL? No, no, and no.

I merely reiterated what players on both sides were saying. You, sir, are a lot funnier than I thought. Fat porn much.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
November 12 2009 01:36 GMT
#115
Locked by request.
Administrator
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O131
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10435
Artosis 618
ZZZero.O 131
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm163
League of Legends
Doublelift5516
JimRising 105
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4160
Other Games
summit1g9701
FrodaN2493
Liquid`RaSZi1943
C9.Mang0367
ToD227
Livibee197
Pyrionflax97
Maynarde95
ArmadaUGS39
Mew2King37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1143
StarCraft 2
CranKy Ducklings16
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 132
• musti20045 41
• Sammyuel 24
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1474
• Shiphtur624
• Scarra576
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 56m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.