• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:22
CEST 06:22
KST 13:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War415.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9262 users

I want to start programming

Blogs > clazziquai
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
November 18 2008 08:58 GMT
#1
But I do not know where to start.
I've asked a friend, and he gave me a couple of e-books.

One involved python, another with C++. However he told me that I should study, know Java or Javascript (I forgot) if I want to start programming. So he told me to get either BlueJ or Textpad while learning Javascript. He also gave me the basic tutorial on www.java.sun.com but is it true that I need to know a little bit of HTML before I actually start JAVA? A search on google recommends or already assume that I know HTML....

Anyways, there MUST be some programmers out there. I have a two questions:

1. How should I start off? Java? Then go on to other stuff.
2. What are the recommended books? (I am learning this by myself btw)

**
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
MrHoon *
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
10183 Posts
November 18 2008 09:08 GMT
#2
As someone like me, I've never been fond of "dummies guide etc etc" (reading manuals is for noobs blah blah), I like to use videos more than books for tutorial guides. And then when I get a basic Idea I head to books
dats racist
barth
Profile Joined March 2008
Ireland1272 Posts
November 18 2008 09:09 GMT
#3
I would recommend you C++ and HTML for beggining if you`re ambitious. If not then PHP + HTML is good too. Java is actually MUCH slower than C++ so it will propably never knock C++ out... so C++ is still more useful.
I started learning C++ from various e-books (just use google), And don`t get dissappointed if you can`t get something reading it for the first time.
Good luck!
"Somebody you are talking to disappears mid sentence, and the universe shoots you because you talked to someone that wasn`t there." - MasterOfChaos
kemoryan
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Spain1506 Posts
November 18 2008 09:09 GMT
#4
He probably meant Java and not Javascript. And I agree, Java is a nice language to start with, since it's object-oriented and there's a lot of things you can do.
And you don't have to know html to start with Java, Java is not only for web apps and I don't think you'll start making apps for the web.

So yeah, Java is a good start, its pretty similar to C++ but it's easier to get going if you don't know any C. Python is also a nice programming language for beginners, though that doesn't mean they're not powerful.

Sorry but I can't recommend you any specific book =(
Freedom is a stranger
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
November 18 2008 09:09 GMT
#5
Learning programming is usually quite boring unless there's something to motivate you. Like you're making games or useful applications. Well that's my opinion anyway, some people are fine spending hours learning syntax and algorithms.

I have only used html, python and delphi so I can't really give any advice on java. I really like python though.
No I'm never serious.
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
November 18 2008 09:10 GMT
#6
So C++ is better to start off with? I'm confused D:
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
barth
Profile Joined March 2008
Ireland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-18 09:13:44
November 18 2008 09:11 GMT
#7
It`s a bit harder but more useful imo.
EDIT: And 99.9% of operating systems and games is made in C++
"Somebody you are talking to disappears mid sentence, and the universe shoots you because you talked to someone that wasn`t there." - MasterOfChaos
Aerox
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Malaysia1213 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-18 09:18:00
November 18 2008 09:13 GMT
#8
I would not recommend to start with C++. Well, Python is easier. But IMO, the norm would be to start with Java or C.

HTML and Javascript are different things and are for the internets. Basic HTML is easy but you shouldn't bother with it until you meet it in your programming journey.
"Eyes in the sky."
MasterZilla
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
Sweden234 Posts
November 18 2008 09:21 GMT
#9
I started with C++ as my first language, and while today I am happy I did, it was a quite tough time to get started.

Start off with Java or C/C++ and you will get good at thinking like a programmer. After that you can change language quite easily.

Also, like someone said, don't try to learn programming by only reading books and following the tutorials. Try and make a small game, and put everything you read into that, and take any questions you have and read up on that specifically.

My first game was a small nibbels (snake) type game, it took me 6 moths to complete and tought me a lot about classes and C++.
For Aiur! - If you reach for the stars and miss, you still might end up walking among the clouds.
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
November 18 2008 09:31 GMT
#10
Python is by far the best language for learning how to program from scratch, but C/C++ is still by far the most used language. Java is also good starting language, but it really does so much for you that you'll miss out on a lot of stuff (its design philosophy is kinda weird)
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
November 18 2008 10:15 GMT
#11
So it's basically personal preference on where I want to start.

So if I want to start it easy, I should start on either Java, Python, or C.
If I feel like I'm up for the challenge, start with C++!?
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
November 18 2008 10:27 GMT
#12
Not again.. I read "progaming" instead of "programming".
Brood War loyalist
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
November 18 2008 10:39 GMT
#13
On November 18 2008 19:15 clazziquai wrote:
So it's basically personal preference on where I want to start.

So if I want to start it easy, I should start on either Java, Python, or C.
If I feel like I'm up for the challenge, start with C++!?



It's not a matter of easy or difficult, I sincerely believe that one should start with Java. Java introduces the concept of OOP in a very clear manner and removes all the headaches that even bother the brightest people. Java is a much better starting point.

I would strongly suggest a course (from your institution, or take a night class) than going through a book. Books are extremely boring, and you need superman determination to finish one back-to-back. But I recommend books over e-books, as e-books introduce much more distraction.

When you learn Java, learn it well. After you have the basics down -- mainly polymorphism, try to understand how things really work (i.e. at the memory level). After that, you can start learning C++ if you wish. Pointers and memory management will make much more sense then.

I personally started with C++ due to my high school curriculum, and I think was an extremely bad choice now that I've become more experienced.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
KarlSberg~
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
731 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-18 10:47:58
November 18 2008 10:46 GMT
#14
Java is a bit easier than C++.
It has a bit more constraints (to prevent you from messing up)
It does some things automatically (handling memory mostly)
All in all it is a bit more rigid, you can't optimize what you do to the core but if you are a beginner you won't want to.
Also getting memory errors and heritage mess can be very very very annoying in C++.
There are 01 kind of people who know binary. Those who understand little endian and those who don t.
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
November 18 2008 10:47 GMT
#15
Hm, okay, I will start with Java.

Ultimately, I want to learn C++.

What are the common class names that teach "Java"? or the basics of programming?

#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
Moaf_
Profile Joined September 2006
Austria76 Posts
November 18 2008 10:51 GMT
#16
I also wouldn't recommend C++ as your learning language, there are too many confusing things to learn as a beginner. I've learned programming with Pascal - it's easier to understand because the coding style is more convenient. I recommend you to get to learn how procedural- and object oriented programming works first before moving up to "heavier" languages. Btw... what do you want to program? Maybe it's not even necessary to learn C++... in my opinion Java and especially C# outrank C++ in terms of productivity and accessibility by far.
No Risk - No Fun
x89titan
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Philippines1130 Posts
November 18 2008 10:56 GMT
#17
computer language is sooo0o0o0o0 boring. hope you have a good hobby to put it to good use and on your resume (hacking).
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, when at the cross the Savior made me whole
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-18 11:02:24
November 18 2008 11:00 GMT
#18
On November 18 2008 19:51 Moaf_ wrote:
Btw... what do you want to program? Maybe it's not even necessary to learn C++... in my opinion Java and especially C# outrank C++ in terms of productivity and accessibility by far.


Actually, yea, I agree with this. With Java (server) and C# (client) becoming ever popular, C++ might not be necessary for you to learn (unless you want to develop games or IPhone apps).

However, imo, C++ to Programming is like Latin/Greek to Languages (of the Western world). It is very useful, and it will expand your horizons.

As for classes, afaik, there aren't any "java" classes (maybe in community college). Most classes, especially introductory classes, will introduce the fundamentals of computer science via a computer language, and that is largely based on the lecturer's discretion, though Java is much more often chosen than C++ for reasons mentioned above. Ask the registrar's office for details.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
November 18 2008 11:01 GMT
#19
On November 18 2008 19:47 clazziquai wrote:
Hm, okay, I will start with Java.

Ultimately, I want to learn C++.

What are the common class names that teach "Java"? or the basics of programming?




If you are in a University, try CS1XX. I have no idea with regards to night classes. Probably something like "Introduction to Programming".
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Ludrik
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Australia523 Posts
November 18 2008 11:02 GMT
#20
When I was starting out I found the biggest help to just be messing around with other peoples codes. Tutorials like: do this => then do this => I always found to suck because I always found they didn't really explain how to adapt it to different situations.
Only a fool would die laughing. I was a fool.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings51
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 202
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 187
Bale 28
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm216
League of Legends
JimRising 666
Other Games
summit1g8824
Coldzera 540
WinterStarcraft529
C9.Mang0284
ViBE128
Sick113
febbydoto11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1011
BasetradeTV167
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP122
• practicex 52
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota237
League of Legends
• Rush308
Other Games
• Shiphtur521
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
5h 38m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
7h 38m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 38m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.