• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:39
CEST 15:39
KST 22:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7558 users

[M] (4) Eye of Bel'Shir

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
DanceCommand
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland11 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-16 20:22:12
July 14 2013 16:51 GMT
#1
Map layout based on a Supreme Commander map called Eye of the Storm. I tried to get as close as possible to the original but considering the differences in games it didn't turn out quite as I hoped, still, I think it has potential.

+ Show Spoiler +

Available on: EU
Size: 162x162
Main-to-main worker scout: close positions 60 s, cross positions 65 s
Bases: 16 8m2g with 8m4g in the middle
Xel'naga towers: none
Destructible Rocks: 16
Collapsible Rocks: none (Thinking of adding some tho -- maybe remove some destructibles and add collapsibles.)

The map:
[image loading]

I wanted to go for something a little unconventional while still keeping the standard of three accessible bases. There are several rocks that open up counter attack paths as the game progresses. Little to no balancing has been done yet as it is a port of sorts from a completely different game. Any suggestions and all feedback are extremely welcome!

Some closeups: http://imgur.com/a/1SFKr

Disclaimer: I'm still pretty new to mapmaking so be gentle!



EDIT:

So here's the updated version (still only on EU for now):

Map Version: 1.3
Size: 162x162
Main-to-main worker scout: close positions 55 s, cross positions 65 s
Bases: 16 8m2g with 8m4g in the middle
Xel'naga towers: none
Destructible Rocks: 8
Collapsible Rocks: 4

[image loading]

So in my attempt to make the map less turtly I've moved the ramps into the 3rd a bit and added rocks to help keep the natural safer against early rushes. Third base is also moved back a bit and natural choke is widened. Fourth base now has an additional ramp that will make it harder to defend against ground armies. The open areas are now a bit wider and as a result some paths have been narrowed. The back door is now available from the get go but can be shut down by collapsing the rock towers at 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock positions you can also wall in with minimun of two 2x2 buildings (e.g. forge and a pylon with a cannon behind will keep you safe, I believe, against 6-7 pools). The ledge surrounding the map is now unpathable. Mineral patches have been rearranged to promote more aggression.
Life is more interesting when you look at the back of things. Women, that’s obvious. Baseball cards. Puppet shows…
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
July 14 2013 17:05 GMT
#2
Turtle heaven. I can't even think of a reason someone wouldn't turtle on this map. I can't give any design suggestions since I'm not experienced with map making, but I would veto this in an instant if it was in the map pool. I would almost feel comfortable going 4 hatch before pool on this map, which isn't a good thing.

In all honesty, if it wasn't so easy to turtle in this game, I think this map would make for some interesting high harass games. If you couldn't sit in the middle of the 4 bases with cannons, building walls, and siege units, I think the closeness of the bases would allow some aggressive dropping/mutalisk play, and would reward the high multitasking player. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so we'd probably end up with no rush 20 minute games where both players sat in their bases until they were maxxed.
Cereal
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
July 14 2013 17:53 GMT
#3
I cannot lie... I love this map. In fact, I love it so much I hate you... because I was just thinking of doing something similar, and you beat me to it. ={

This map reminds me a bit of Andromeda which was a really fun map to watch play out (especially in really long games, ahem, Stork).

Despite zerg *maybe* being able to go 4 base early, I feel that they might have trouble holding the fourth in particular, but a third as well against tanks, drops, colossus, and air unless they focus almost entirely on mutas. I don't know what kind of muta timing you can get with 4 base before pool and still hold those protruding 3rd/4ths. Unless of course you go for a Broodwar style of 3rd/4th where you take another main/natural and connect with a nydus.

In any event, it seems like a fun map to play.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
July 14 2013 17:57 GMT
#4
One quick way to slightly reduce the turtliness would be to make the 3rd and 4th both 3/4 bases.
vibeo gane,
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 14 2013 19:19 GMT
#5
I'm not a fan of multiple easy 3/4 bases... You could open up the paths around the outside and make them more susceptible to harass so you have to control more of the middle. Here's an image where I've edited the bottom left corner

[image loading]
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
July 15 2013 19:18 GMT
#6
I noticed that there's actually a backdoor from the third to the main. It was a bit before my time, but backdoors to main fell out of favor at some point for some reason, I suspect the ease of rushing through the backdoor.

Although one would think that would balance out the otherwise turtly nature of the map, I'm not sure if two extremes are the way to go. Actually, I may be overthinking it but that backdoor might be workable in this map.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
Broodie
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada832 Posts
July 15 2013 20:54 GMT
#7
condense the routes a bit is the only thing I have to say after glancing?

A 2 player rendition might be a bit more inticing
SilentLiquid.Broodie - Author of Tango Terminal, Ophilia RE, Cajun Quandary, & The Beneath
Fuchsteufelswild
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2028 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-15 23:22:08
July 15 2013 21:37 GMT
#8
It may well be a little too tight in some places, namely the entrance to the natural. That looks so horribly tight.
A lot of passageways, it might be a funny but interesting map to try to split.

I think taking a fifth will feel more awkward if you spawn with your enemy clockwise by one position than anti-clockwise, because the ramp to the closest fifth anti-clockwise (9 o'clock if you spawn in top left) is only accessible from the opposite side and you will have VERY narrow passageways to move through if you go straight down the left side to defend that base (after removing the rocks).
Perhaps those rocks at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock would be better as collapsible rocks.

The other main issue I see is lack of space to plant your buildings, at least looking at it. I haven't loaded the map to check, but it looks like that could be a big problem.
162×162 means there's probably not quite as little available space as it looks though, I suppose.

On July 16 2013 05:54 Broodie wrote:
A 2 player rendition might be a bit more inticing

Yes, I think that might be nicer actually.
Either angle the anti-clockwise "closest fifth' bases (which are all the closest "fourth" of another position) a little more towards that player (angle them clockwise to aid that player, like 8:30" to favour the top left player)
OR
leave them and angle the clockwise "closes fifth" (the "third" of another position) anti-clockwise, to help them, so 1 o'clock towards top left.
Maybe no angling is needed, but making that the likely expansion path is probably ideal (or at least for zerg, otherwise depends on playstyle, so mech might not do this).
On the other hand, angling the "third" AWAY from the base would probably be good, i.e. move the 9:30" base clockwise 45° or so and pushing it down a bit, so that it is a little further away from the natural there, with the ramps horizontal, that might open a little bit of space so that the path into the natural isn't so tight.

I'm picturing this
It could be a 4 position map locked into diagonal only, but personally it's my impression that that would make this map work the most interestingly.

It feels a little like Katrina that way, without the free natural behind your main.
ZerO - FantaSy - Calm - Nal_rA - Jaedong - NaDa - EffOrt - Bisu - by.hero - StarDust - Welmu - Nerchio - Supernova - Solar - Squirtle - LosirA - Grubby - IntoTheRainbow - Golden... ~~~ Incredible Miracle and Woongjin Stars 화이팅!
DanceCommand
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland11 Posts
July 16 2013 15:30 GMT
#9
On July 16 2013 06:37 Fuchsteufelswild wrote:

I'm picturing this
It could be a 4 position map locked into diagonal only, but personally it's my impression that that would make this map work the most interestingly.

It feels a little like Katrina that way, without the free natural behind your main.


There's good feedback here and I also got a lot of useful comments on reddit. What you're picturing is actually pretty much where I'm leaning towards as well -- I'd love to keep all spawns available but if it doesn't work out I'll probably just iterate the map into a 2P or cross-only map. I already went with quite a different setup of rocks at the 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock positions.

As for this,

On July 16 2013 04:18 Hertzy wrote:
I noticed that there's actually a backdoor from the third to the main. It was a bit before my time, but backdoors to main fell out of favor at some point for some reason, I suspect the ease of rushing through the backdoor.

Although one would think that would balance out the otherwise turtly nature of the map, I'm not sure if two extremes are the way to go. Actually, I may be overthinking it but that backdoor might be workable in this map.


I'm really feeling that the backdoor might be ok considering how the game has developed since HotS. I did modify the map so that you can wall of relatively easily and protect the mineral line at the same time. Not shure how that'll affect terran players tho... :/ I do feel like with the latest additions I've made it's going to be a huge gamble or a long ass way to go around in order to abuse the backdoor.
Life is more interesting when you look at the back of things. Women, that’s obvious. Baseball cards. Puppet shows…
NKB
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom608 Posts
July 16 2013 16:35 GMT
#10
I really like the look of this map, well done on making it Would like to see some games on it to see how they play out
Some times you just gotta wish...
DanceCommand
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland11 Posts
July 16 2013 17:00 GMT
#11
On July 17 2013 01:35 NKB wrote:
I really like the look of this map, well done on making it Would like to see some games on it to see how they play out


You and me both :D I was watching IronMans stream a while back and figured that I could do the same with balance testing. Then I remembered that my pc is 7 years old and would explode if I tried to run anything else at the same time with sc2. >.<
Life is more interesting when you look at the back of things. Women, that’s obvious. Baseball cards. Puppet shows…
DanceCommand
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland11 Posts
July 16 2013 20:28 GMT
#12
I've updated the map quite a bit, would love to hear more of your thoughts! I'm especially worried about close positions if the game progresses beyond three bases, might have to make it cross only.
Life is more interesting when you look at the back of things. Women, that’s obvious. Baseball cards. Puppet shows…
Fuchsteufelswild
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2028 Posts
July 18 2013 00:51 GMT
#13
With the mineral placements, defending air harassment with ground units is probably going to be a big pain, just something to consider.
I'd have thought the backdoor collapsible rocks should be collapsed (blocking the path) by default, because otherwise, proxies there might be too hard to defend maybe? Tight areas might favour proxy barracks with potential for bunkers, where as a defender will (maybe?) have started a wall-off at the front.
I'm just concerned that it might promote too much early aggression and make it very hard to defend your base without committing a lot (more than you will usually have at whatever stage) of units to collapsing the rocks somewhat early on.
ZerO - FantaSy - Calm - Nal_rA - Jaedong - NaDa - EffOrt - Bisu - by.hero - StarDust - Welmu - Nerchio - Supernova - Solar - Squirtle - LosirA - Grubby - IntoTheRainbow - Golden... ~~~ Incredible Miracle and Woongjin Stars 화이팅!
gronnelg
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway354 Posts
July 18 2013 09:05 GMT
#14
Oh wow! Great impovement on the latest version! Gw!
Lulzez || My stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gronnelg
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1033
RotterdaM561
SteadfastSC310
TKL 254
Rex117
CosmosSc2 29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 561
SteadfastSC 310
TKL 254
Rex 117
CosmosSc2 29
Codebar 28
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42768
Shuttle 2428
Jaedong 1376
Horang2 760
Mini 516
Soulkey 475
EffOrt 458
Stork 372
actioN 371
Larva 279
[ Show more ]
BeSt 220
Soma 218
ZerO 193
Snow 188
Rush 188
Last 146
firebathero 132
Mong 127
Zeus 93
910 75
Free 73
Mind 70
Hyun 64
hero 57
Yoon 43
PianO 41
Sharp 40
Shinee 39
JYJ 38
Shine 33
sorry 33
Pusan 32
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 27
Hm[arnc] 24
Sexy 23
Aegong 20
HiyA 18
Terrorterran 16
scan(afreeca) 14
Rock 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4760
Dendi1231
canceldota78
Counter-Strike
fl0m1874
Fnx 511
edward477
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King165
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes607
Lowko365
Other Games
gofns26926
singsing2233
olofmeister1114
hiko570
B2W.Neo333
DeMusliM224
Livibee175
Pyrionflax161
Liquid`VortiX115
QueenE74
Trikslyr61
Khaldor24
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1358
Other Games
BasetradeTV183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream46
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH170
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2022
• Jankos1540
• TFBlade483
Other Games
• Shiphtur641
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 21m
The PondCast
20h 21m
INu's Battles
21h 21m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.