• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:11
CEST 07:11
KST 14:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)27Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8873 users

[M] (2) TPW Starry Night

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 12:10:41
November 05 2012 23:26 GMT
#1
[image loading]

TPW Starry Night
by lefix
Map Size: 166x132
Tileset: Shakuras/Tarsonis
Spawns: 2
Bases: 14
Published: EU, NA


About:
This is basically a recycled version of Pegasus, with the halfs rotated instead of mirroring them.
I wanted to do a space Shakuras theme at first, but since I don't like Shakuras that much, I mixed it up with Tarsonis and got this rather fancy purple/yellow contrast, which I love and hate at the same time :D

In terms of gameplay, I guess this map has 'harder' bases than ny maps usually do. The bases are nicely spread across the entire map. Even tho there are 14 bases total, it is not a real issues as it is highly unlikely players will both hold 7 bases each. Each base on the map is kind of unique, which hopefully should create various different gameplay scenarios - something that I always try to achieve with my maps.

Screenshots:
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
PVJ
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Hungary5221 Posts
November 05 2012 23:42 GMT
#2
I like this name of the map, so will try it tomorrow just cause of that. ^^ GJ
The heart's eternal vow
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
November 06 2012 00:05 GMT
#3
I really like the look of the map. Also like the different expansions, especially the upper right/lower left ones. Since you can wall those off, they become really easy to defend with a small number of units.
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
November 06 2012 00:06 GMT
#4
I like the textures. I find the openness to be a bit too consistent throughout the map, though. Some tighter chokes would be welcome, maybe exchanging some 3x ramps for 2x or something. Kinda seems like the engagements will be the same no matter where you put your army.

I like seeing a big macro 2p map, though. Not sure why everyone thinks a map needs to be 4p to be big or have a lot of bases.
all's fair in love and melodies
Fearlezz
Profile Joined April 2010
Croatia176 Posts
November 06 2012 00:20 GMT
#5
Love the texturing, except how the big hexes blend with dirt/crack textures.
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
November 06 2012 00:41 GMT
#6
looks good dude!
SC2 Mapmaker
Just_a_Moth
Profile Joined March 2012
Canada1971 Posts
November 06 2012 01:57 GMT
#7
This is the best map I have ever seen. Seriously. All major tournaments should immediately start using it.
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-06 02:26:29
November 06 2012 02:24 GMT
#8
I find the openness to be a bit too consistent throughout the map, though. Some tighter chokes would be welcome, maybe exchanging some 3x ramps for 2x or something. Kinda seems like the engagements will be the same no matter where you put your army.


I kind of agree. I also think the 7th bases should be removed, but other than that the map is pretty cool. (oh and I feel like the protoss decals should be a little less orange :-P)

Good job overall. Aesthetics are pretty nice, and the backdrop you chose works really well with the map.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 06 2012 03:20 GMT
#9
SC2 maps seem to be degenerating into variations on connect the dots. You can be wherever you need to be with a hop skip and a jump. I feel like this is a little too homogeneous and connected, although I like it in contrast to the predominating GSL style of open ground + high ground platform, and you do it oh-so-well lefix.

That said, I really like the thought put into the bases, like the vertical 3rd and 4th base. I'm worried the low ground pocket 4th against the main will end up being the default 4th base, leading more towards ball of bases ball of units monolith engagement. Did you think about this as a 6m1hyg? I think that would really help light up the corners. Sort of how Daybreak used to be that way but once it had a full base in the middle every game was a 3 base --> middle --> slugfest.

Very cool textures of course. I'm curious how much itty-bitty work you had to do for the blue cracks on the dirt, did you put the dirt on top or paint the cracks carefully or just gently airbrush?
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
November 06 2012 04:12 GMT
#10
It's a bit boring the thirds look almost the same as my upcoming map hehe

It seems a little big. Whatever.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Atrbyg
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States513 Posts
November 06 2012 04:14 GMT
#11
This is a really nice map. I like the aesthetics a lot.

I think you should consider putting some destructible rocks on the ramps to vary the width of the chokes. Also the top right and bottom left bases seem rather unnecessary and could be removed in favor of a bit more airspace in those corners.

Timetwister22
Profile Joined March 2011
United States538 Posts
November 06 2012 04:23 GMT
#12
This map is SO cool. So much so that I got really excited once I realized what I was looking at. However, what makes this map so cool is also what I feel happens to break the map...to an extent. Let me first demonstrate with a pretty picture:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Blue blob my army. Blue line is a wall. Red lines show enemy attack paths seen by tower. Orange shows only unseen ground path. Blue squares are bases my army is defending from the position it is in.


So basically you put your army in this "prime position" near the tower, and if you see an enemy attack you reposition your army accordingly. Thus, you're able to defend almost every base on your side of the map, which I highlighted using blue squares. With tower sight, that shouldn't be very hard to do.

However, other maps such as daybreak also have these prime positions. With daybreak, it happens to be at the XWT, just like on this map. The difference is that this map forces the player to utilize the prime location early in the game. That's because other maps provide better positions to put your army early game, where this map does not. As a result, the prime position on other maps don't really come into play until late game. Booooring. The early use of the prime position here is what makes this map so cool. Essentially, this map expresses the motto of "the best defense is a good offense" without requiring the player to commit to any sort of aggressive play.

Yet, the prime position on this map has some very big flaws that essentially break the map. It is too powerful and too exposed. You might think, "Well yeah...if it's strong it should be exposed and hard to defend." However, I'd argue against that since this strength also comes with a fairly large weakness of drop and air play. Designing a position that's strong for ground, but very vulnerable to air and drops is super cool. Though, I do feel it's a bit too strong. Will get to that in a bit.

Firstly, the prime position is too open. This doesn't make it a good spot to put your army early game, despite how cool it would be if you could. Yet, there isn't any better place to position your army to adequately defend your third aside the prime position. Considering just how hard that spot is to hold early game, you're probably not going to see players go beyond 2 base very often.

Secondly, if you do manage to secure the prime position early game and survive, it is way too strong. Being able to defend 5 bases from one location should make just about anyone cringe. Now, you do have to occasionally pace away from the prime location in order to get into the best position for an incoming attack. But the tower gives sight, so that pacing doesn't require any additional apm or skill from the player that is usually associated with scouting by other means.

Luckily for you, I have a suggestion that keeps the super awesomeness of how the prime position works, while fixing some of the problems that come with it.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
The circle on ramp represents rocks, making that ramp just like the ramp outside the nat on CK. Base with red X, either remove it or make it a half base. Adjust the corner bases to make room for a droppable cliff behind it, which is outlined in white. The area with the white check mark is just a little area you could consider adding. Would allow for a little drop harass on the third, but I could see it being a bit too strong. The choke I added by the base at 12 is well....a choke.


The idea behind these changes is to allow the prime location to come into play earlier in the game, while emphasizing it's weakness. If your opponent is going for heavy drop or air play, utilizing the prime location will put you far out of position to deal with it. However, if your enemy is going for ground play and utilizing the prime location himself, you have the choice to either go drop/air harass or go ground yourself. Thus, this map really allows players to develop rock, paper, scissors types of scenarios.

Overall, this is some pretty cool stuff if you ask me.
Former ESV Mapmaker | @Timetwister22
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
November 06 2012 04:47 GMT
#13
Oooh, Timetwister. <3

Very well said. I really agree with those changes. Using some chokes to allow some forward positioning without having a huge army is just what this map needs.
all's fair in love and melodies
Quakecomm
Profile Joined April 2012
United States344 Posts
November 06 2012 05:05 GMT
#14
<3
Great work.
gorkey island is the only good map
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
November 06 2012 05:30 GMT
#15
Love the aesthetics of this map, purple and yellow is definitely unique.

As far as the layout is concerned I think it looks pretty solid and I am happy to see a 14 base macro map with only two spawns. Army positioning will change with every base your take and there are some quite strong forward positions, to make it less "in base turtle" style.

Well done, a good map.

Will come back with more detail when I get home.
Retired Mapmaker™
HeavenResign
Profile Joined April 2011
United States702 Posts
November 06 2012 05:32 GMT
#16
This map looks amazing. Wow. Also Timetwister's changes seem baller.
PsykoMantis
Profile Joined June 2010
United States203 Posts
November 06 2012 06:08 GMT
#17
Any chance you could get this published on NA? This map looks awesome!
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-06 10:32:10
November 06 2012 10:30 GMT
#18
trying out the suggested changes and playing around with rock placements. Also fixed quite a few funky mineral placements.
I'll upload to NA as well as soon as the map reaches a more finalized state.

[image loading]
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
lost_artz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States366 Posts
November 06 2012 12:42 GMT
#19
The slightly difference in colors of the high ground and low ground was en excellent choice. It make it extremely easy to see what's what
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
November 06 2012 16:23 GMT
#20
On November 06 2012 08:26 lefix wrote:
I wanted to do a space Shakuras theme at first, but since I don't like Shakuras that much, I mixed it up with Tarsonis and got this rather fancy purple/yellow contrast, which I love and hate at the same time :D


Die you fool !
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2059
Snow 143
Bale 24
Noble 15
ZergMaN 9
Icarus 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm167
Counter-Strike
taco 329
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1245
Mew2King49
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1150
WinterStarcraft628
Other Games
summit1g7735
JimRising 628
PiGStarcraft325
C9.Mang0176
ArmadaUGS160
Maynarde133
Sick123
RuFF_SC2103
ViBE72
Livibee60
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick582
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream159
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 41
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2161
League of Legends
• Lourlo1356
• Rush1093
• Stunt368
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
4h 50m
OSC
7h 50m
Stellar Fest
7h 50m
OSC
18h 50m
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.