• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:46
CEST 09:46
KST 16:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9028 users

Meaning of Life

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
OptronX
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States84 Posts
August 08 2012 07:12 GMT
#1
Hey everyone, I decided to post here and see what everyone's opinion was on this:

Recently a 5-year friend of mine decided to quit everything and become a pastor. While this was a shock to all of his friends and family, it got me thinking. He's the 3rd of my friends that knows exactly what he wants to do in life by the age of 20 and has a extremely specific plan for it all.

Me on the other hand, I have no idea what I want to do. I have no idea what I'm good at. I don't have any ONE thing that I'm extremely passionate about. Do you think that it's a bad thing that I'm completely lost at the moment, or do you feel like in time everything will become clear. Is there a possibility that maybe not everyone is meant to have and do the one thing that they are extremely passionate about for the rest of their life?

Thanks guy. Always know that the TL community is there when you need them.

Op
http://thehonestlifeblog.wordpress.com
moofang
Profile Joined June 2011
508 Posts
August 08 2012 07:18 GMT
#2
Some people get very specific senses of calling early on. Some others only get there when they get there, and can still do great things. 20 is a very early age, so don't worry. Focus on living life, and be on the lookout for things you can do and do them
pjw
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia76 Posts
August 08 2012 07:19 GMT
#3
Have you ever noticed how your opinion and attitude towards things you like / dislike tends to change every 6 months, probably less at younger years....Yeah well it doesn't stop when you get older.

Do what makes you happy and see where life takes you, nothing lasts forever so cherish the good times while they last.
If you don't enjoy what you are doing, then what you are aiming for will be filled with the negativity that came attaining it
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
August 08 2012 07:21 GMT
#4
I've got plenty of friends in their thirties that don't know what they want to do. They still wont at 40. But they make due.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Kyrillion
Profile Joined August 2011
Russian Federation748 Posts
August 08 2012 07:22 GMT
#5
I'd say it's better to start seeking one's path as soon as possible. Try out and discover as many things as possible, it can only be beneficial anyway.
If you seek well, you shall find.
Le French
Profile Joined December 2011
France782 Posts
August 08 2012 07:23 GMT
#6
Let me share this.

There was a time when I was 19, cruising through life, college education, healthy amount of drugs, sex, and alcohol. But then I always felt empty. It's not "first-world" or a "confused pre-adult" emptiness kind of thing, as far as I can tell, but there was just nothing. Nothing in the world matters, that's how I felt. I suddenly found myself in Cambodia where I got it. It's not a "Eureka I got the whole world figured out now" moment, but it was something that made things clear.

A buddhist monk told me, "Life is simple. Pain is inevitable. Life is in fact pain. But suffering is not. To be human is to love and to do good and to overcome your weaknesses." I do not know if how I understand it is how he meant it, but more than some empty philosophical rhetoric, I see it as a challenge it life. Yeah life sucks, but I just figured the way is to take on life, hunt it down, and make it eat its balls! Hahahaha. I can't objectively tell if I've been slamming in life or not, (still drugs, sex, and alcohol), but how I feel so much better!
Ca va?
KurtistheTurtle
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1966 Posts
August 08 2012 07:24 GMT
#7
ask yourself in a dream.
“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears."
starfries
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada3508 Posts
August 08 2012 07:27 GMT
#8
you might as well pick something and run with it. if it doesn't work out, pick something else.

if you're at a crossroads and you don't know which path to take, it doesn't help to sit there squinting down both of them. you'll find the right one a lot faster by just trying it.
DJ – do you like ramen, Savior? Savior – not really. Bisu – I eat it often. Flash – I’m a maniac! | Foxer Fighting!
jodogohoo
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada2533 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-08 07:29:36
August 08 2012 07:29 GMT
#9

an interestingish video on people responding to a calling lol. from UBC!!

but uhh... i was pretty paralyzed and i still am, but for differentish reasons. but one advice that may sort of be useful is that, whatever you do. you can do it until you don't enjoy it anymore, then switch to something else. like you can be a pastor for 3 years then be like, ok. time to do something else. you are by no means locked into your decisions, you can always change. assuming you keep your finances in check, or if you have people dependent on your income...

but hmm... what i personally did was just spend my time learning. learning everything i could about everything. "mainly social sciences and philosophy" and yeah, what i cared about slowly formed out of my studies. "cultivating human agency" but umm... what i recommend is doing lots of stuff, volunteering, studying lots of stuff, either formally or from lecture recordings or online courses. like UC Berkeley webcasts. and yeah.

i also took a break from school so you don't have to study all the time. but yeah... yep.

as for motivation... from a social psychological perspective. if a cute girl i liked told be she really liked something, like maybe becoming an electrician, i may end up following her into it lol. "balance theory!!!" but ahh the complexities of life.
Kukaracha
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France1954 Posts
August 08 2012 09:10 GMT
#10
Life doesn't have a meaning itself, it has the meaning you give to it.

Don't get obsessed about having a passion or a very particular role in life. If life has no clear directions for you yet, it's ok. Just focus on being happy and proud of yourself.
Le long pour l'un pour l'autre est court (le mot-à-mot du mot "amour").
Grimmyman123
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada939 Posts
August 08 2012 09:17 GMT
#11
I think for many, work and life experiences help to truly and completely field the question of what one REALLY wants to do in life, for work and for pleasure.

I don't think that anyone with less than 5 years of work experience really knows what they are good at, and what they in turn want to do - that they would enjoy.

There is a reason why compensation is called pay. MANY people hate their jobs, but it is a means to an end for most.
Win. That's all that matters. Win. Nobody likes to lose.
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
August 08 2012 09:19 GMT
#12
Good book, and a pot of tea on a snowy day.
dzony
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland15 Posts
August 08 2012 09:58 GMT
#13
Well, I knew exactly what I was going to do at the age of 15 (and a bit more vaguely even earlier), but that was because of my natural abilities. Now I'm 22 and I am doing what suits them best.

However, I'm not sure if this is necessarily a good thing. I feel that I've kinda forced myself into this career without considering other possibilities. If I spent some time trying other things, I wouldn't be really good at what I am doing, but what if I found something that I liked better? If you haven't got any specific interests, I think you shouldn't worry and just try different paths.
At least I have chicken.
Diks
Profile Joined January 2010
Belgium1880 Posts
August 08 2012 10:13 GMT
#14
On August 08 2012 18:10 Kukaracha wrote:
Life doesn't have a meaning itself, it has the meaning you give to it.

Don't get obsessed about having a passion or a very particular role in life. If life has no clear directions for you yet, it's ok. Just focus on being happy and proud of yourself.


I was about to say something alike, but Kukaracha perfectly sum what i think.
Spiffeh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States830 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-08 10:19:21
August 08 2012 10:13 GMT
#15
Here, this could help you out. It's really an amazing video. I haven't stopped looping it since it came out.



Mallidon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Scotland557 Posts
August 08 2012 10:50 GMT
#16
42
Bleh.
Ruscour
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
5233 Posts
August 08 2012 11:09 GMT
#17
I don't either. I don't think most people do.

I wasn't happy in my pointless life until I eventually developed personal philosophies such that I could explain how I think and how the world around me works, and that life is truly pointless, thus so is your happiness or sadness, pain or pleasure.

I would advise you do something moderately productive while trying to find out your direction. I'm at uni, and do I particularly enjoy what I'm doing? Kinda, some days. Yet there's no point in quitting and ending up regretting it later. So I just stroll about, finding different things to do and hoping I like one. Nothing yet, but I've met amazing people along the way.

Instead of putting so much thought into living, just live and see what happens, just make sure you don't lose sight of who you are along the way. End rant.
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
August 08 2012 11:15 GMT
#18
I'm 24, close to finishing my studies to become an engineer and I am getting drawn more and more to becoming a chef -.-

Trust me you are fine, everyone struggles to find what they really want to do.
GnarlyArbitrage
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
575 Posts
August 08 2012 11:38 GMT
#19
The meaning of life is to pass on your genes. Simple as that. I mean, why do you think chicks even have orgasms? For fun? No, because it increases the chance of getting pregnant.
Shottaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom414 Posts
August 08 2012 11:41 GMT
#20
The meaning of life is to exist and facilitate the existence of others.

Anything other than that is just for the lolz
Praise the sun! \o/
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 434
Hyuk 275
910 97
Yoon 38
NotJumperer 34
Bale 28
ZergMaN 24
Dewaltoss 24
yabsab 15
Dota 2
XcaliburYe22
League of Legends
JimRising 512
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King172
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1600
Khaldor166
Other Games
ceh9523
singsing501
olofmeister442
WinterStarcraft399
Happy293
Sick218
Livibee177
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick682
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream296
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH58
• LUISG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2350
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 14m
Stellar Fest
5h 14m
The PondCast
1d 2h
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.