• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:20
CEST 07:20
KST 14:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9295 users

Interview with Naniwa at Dreamhack - Translated

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Shewklad
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden482 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 22:03:25
April 22 2012 21:53 GMT
#1
Hi!

So Bobhund at Rakaka.se did a really good interview with Naniwa at Dreamhack that I really liked. So I decided to do my best at translating it to english. For your amusement! This is the first time I do something like this, so please tell me if you like it and I will definitely do more of these!

Also, I'm sorry in advance for any typos or confusion!

The interview in Swedish:



Translated to english

+ Show Spoiler +


I = Interviewer
N = Naniwa


I: Bobhund from Rakaka.se reporting in, I'm here with Naniwa who unfortunately just went out of the tournament, how does it feel?


N: It doesn't feel too bad, I knew it could happen, I haven't practiced against Zerg for about a month cause I've only been playing against Terrans and Protoss in GSL. It still feels really bad of course, since I know I'm the better player, it just feels like.. I knew these maps would be played here but I went here anyways. I didn't think it would be as big of a problem as it was.


I: Yeah, we can get back to the maps later, I wanted to ask you about why you went here. You could have gone to spring arena, MLG. Why did you chose to come here?


N: Well, Sweden is where I'm from so that was a big factor. It's fun to come to Sweden as often as possible as I live in Korea, it's nice to speak your native language for once. And Asus wanted us to go here rather then to MLG, so it was either going to MLG alone, or come here with SaSe. And that felt like the better option. As well as being able to relax a bit here in Sweden before GSL.


I: You've said that you don't really care about what the fans say, except for the Swedish fans, why are the Swedish fans so much more important to you?


N: It feels like the international fans are more of fair weather fans, if you do well, you're the best and everyone loves you, but as soon as you do bad you get a hate-thread with 600 comments, that's what HuK got, and still he's one of the most loved players, which is just absurd. But from what I've seen on Rakaka and so on, I've always been supported by the Swedish fans. It's always nice to have a website you can go to and read without just reading a ton of shit.


I: Yeah I agree. You've been at a lot of Dreamhacks, and you say you love the Swedish fans. Would it be bigger for you to win a Swedish tournament rather then any other tournament. Or doesn't it really matter to you?


N: Oh yeah, that's one of my dreams I guess. I would much, much rather win a Dreamhack than an MLG for example. It would feel incredible to be able to stand at the top with the trophy in Sweden, with all the Swedish fans cheering, it would be incredible, but unfortunately that haven't happened yet.


I: As I said, you were just eliminated from the tournament, you talked a bit about the maps. What kind of maps did Dreamhack chose and how has it affected you?


N: Both me, SaSe and a lot of other progamers had a lot of complaints about the maps before we got here, we contacted “Hugge” who is the head admin here but we never got any assistance about it. He just said that's how it is and that it was nothing he was gonna change about it. And finally we were told that he was gonna modify the maps with supply depos and “space sharks” to solve the problems. So I guess that's when we realized the admins weren't very competent, but it was too late at the time.


I: Yeah SaSe said something similar when I talked to him at IPL. You said it was nice to be back in Sweden, has there been a lot of fans, interviews etc? Do you feel like a real star when you're here?


N: I wouldn't say I feel like a star. But there has been a lot more people now then before, of course. And that's always fun, but I never played to become famous, it's always just been a bonus. I get annoyed in USA with fans swarming you, but here it's fun. I think that's cause I'm not used to how people act in USA, they are a lot more “forward” and they always speak their mind. But it's mostly nice.


I: We can talk about something fun, GSL. You're trough to ro8 now, and you're gonna play MVP. I was thinking we could go back to the start of this GSL, when you were placed in the same group as MVP, Puzzle and Ryung. How did it feel before the tournament started? What did you think about your chances to advance?


N: To be honest with you I only practiced to win one map. I had lost code A three times, I just didn't want to embarrass myself. So if I just win one map I can at least say I gave it my best in the hardest league there is. But it seems like that attitude, not caring as much, removed all nervousness and made it possible for me to play as normal. So this resulted in me making good decisions, and at the end I felt at home in the GSL so I kept playing well.


I: Yeah, you beat Puzzle 2-1 and Ryung 2-0 and advanced. A lot of gifs were made after this, the double fist pump etc, and you looked really happy, and everyone at home was of course really happy for you! So if you went in expecting to win one map, and then advanced from the group, how did this feel after your victory? Did it feel unreal or...


N: Yeah absolutely, I got back to the ST house and I felt nothing, I didn't even think I had won, I didn't understand what had happened. But as I got in the house Bomber and the other guys high fived me so, it seems like I won! I didn't really realize it until I read TL, it did indeed feel unreal. It was just like when I won MLG, I just remember going home, feeling nothing. And then I read about it and I saw that I had won, which made me feel that I actually won.


I: So to continue on the unreal stuff, the next group play. That's when you beat Genius and Virus 2-0. When you went into this second group play did you have any more confidence?


N: Not really, I felt that out of the 16 that was left, I was the worst player. That's what I thought at least. And I wasn't surprised when I was picked first either. I thought to myself, alright Genius got second last GSL he's an amazing player, he has been in code S for two years now and it's not surprising that he picked me. When I was gonna play, all I had in my mind was which build to use while trying to stay calm, as well asking the Startale guys for some tips, I came up with a few ideas how I was going to play. And everything went exactly as I planned, it felt amazing!


I: SaSe came running into your booth after the game after the win. How important is SaSe to you? Both when it comes to practice and on a personal level, how important is it to have someone to talk Swedish to, over in Korea?


N: It's very, very important. I used to live on my own in the MVP house, and I was almost never at the house, I went out and met other friends as often as possible, like five times a week. So I barely got any practice. When you're that alone you can't really practice well either. I guess you could say me and SaSe have become best friends, we both think it's great to hang out with each other and it never gets boring. SaSe is perfect to me when it comes to practice as well, he practices a ton, and I'm more of a slacker. But when I see him play I get motivated to practice.


I: That's great to hear. Let's talk about ro8 and MVP, who haven't been all too impressive this season, he got second in both his groups for example. What do you think about your chances?


N: I have this rule, that I don't predict games before I play. But to be realistic I think I have an OK chance at beating him. I don't think he's that much better then Ryung or Virus. What I've seen from him in TvP this season he haven't been unbeatable. I will just do what I always do, prepare as much as possible. If I win, I win.


I: We all hope that you'll beat Jinros ro4 record and get to the finals! Do you have anything you'd like to say, shoutouts etc?


N: Thanks to Asus for flying us out here. And well... Thanks to SaSe for being funny, so that I'm not bored when I'm out of the tournament, I'm just sorry to all the Swedish fans that I still can't get far in a Dreamhack tournament. I just really hope Dreamhack starts listening to the players, or else the players will eventually pick other tournaments over Dreamhack.

I: I'm sure all of E-sport Sweden wishes you the best of luck in GSL, bye!
Bomber || Thorzain || Startale >< No gods, no masters.
Pochtli
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland690 Posts
April 22 2012 21:56 GMT
#2
Thank you for translating!
ㅈㅈ
Entropic
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2837 Posts
April 22 2012 22:00 GMT
#3
Nani fighting!
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
April 22 2012 22:00 GMT
#4
instead of turncoats you can say fair weather fans
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Shewklad
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden482 Posts
April 22 2012 22:02 GMT
#5
On April 23 2012 07:00 Liquid`NonY wrote:
instead of turncoats you can say fair weather fans



Oh okay, I'll edit it, thanks! I wasn't sure about the exact word so I just used an online translator!
Bomber || Thorzain || Startale >< No gods, no masters.
Mikau
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Netherlands1446 Posts
April 22 2012 22:02 GMT
#6
What's wrong with turncoats though? Doesn't it describe what he's trying to say well (enough)?
0ne
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Spain2464 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 22:03:52
April 22 2012 22:03 GMT
#7
Dreamhack fixed maps with space sharks? lolol
ObliviousNA
Profile Joined March 2011
United States535 Posts
April 22 2012 22:04 GMT
#8
Great interview! My favorite line:

Naniwa: I think that's cause I'm not used to how people act in USA, they are a lot more “forward” and they always speak their mind.

That's REALLY rich coming from him :D
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and no one knows why.
BretZ
Profile Joined May 2011
United States1510 Posts
April 22 2012 22:04 GMT
#9
Ah Nani, went from the dude who beat the at the time best zerg in the world to being crushed by Zerg and not having a clue how to beat them. So strange to see.
mrRoflpwn
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2618 Posts
April 22 2012 22:04 GMT
#10
Thank you so much! and GRATZ TO + Show Spoiler +
THORZAIN!
Long live the Boss Toss!
Serimek
Profile Joined August 2011
France2274 Posts
April 22 2012 22:05 GMT
#11
Quite interesting, thank you for translating.
SC2 is the best game to watch and was the best to play before I grew old and slow...
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
April 22 2012 22:06 GMT
#12
On April 23 2012 07:00 Liquid`NonY wrote:
instead of turncoats you can say fair weather fans

Leave it to Nani to make Nony have to be the positive guy :/
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
seffer
Profile Joined December 2010
United States143 Posts
April 22 2012 22:08 GMT
#13
Naniwa is my favorite player... hope he kicks MVP's ass.
Mephiztopheles1
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
1124 Posts
April 22 2012 22:09 GMT
#14
Really interesting interview, best of luck to Naniwa in GSL!
Apom
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
France656 Posts
April 22 2012 22:09 GMT
#15
On April 23 2012 07:06 CursOr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2012 07:00 Liquid`NonY wrote:
instead of turncoats you can say fair weather fans

Leave it to Nani to make Nony have to be the positive guy :/

The OP was wondering about the translation... Do you have some profound insight to share thanks to your deep understanding of the Swedish language ?
tuho12345
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
4482 Posts
April 22 2012 22:10 GMT
#16
What do space sharks do in the map?

N: I wouldn't say I feel like a star. But there has been a lot more people now then before, of course. And that's always fun, but I never played to become famous, it's always just been a bonus. I get annoyed in USA with fans swarming you, but here it's fun. I think that's cause I'm not used to how people act in USA, they are a lot more “forward” and they always speak their mind. But it's mostly nice.


Yeah I've seen him at MLG Anaheim and he was a dick when he lost lol. But then I've seen TLO wasn't better so I guess they were pretty emo.
dnld12
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States324 Posts
April 22 2012 22:10 GMT
#17
IM from USA and i agree with Naniwa. We're kind of arses sometimes. But i still support Nani :D
When life gives you Stalkers, Get blink.
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
April 22 2012 22:12 GMT
#18
thanks for the translation
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Skilledblob
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany3392 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 22:29:52
April 22 2012 22:13 GMT
#19
On April 23 2012 07:10 tuho12345 wrote:

Yeah I've seen him at MLG Anaheim and he was a dick when he lost lol. But then I've seen TLO wasn't better so I guess they were pretty emo.


What do you expect, they just lost an important game, do you think they'll run around all smiles?
PiQLiQ
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden702 Posts
April 22 2012 22:15 GMT
#20
gj anyways naniwa! <3
http://twitter.com/PiQLiQ
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft380
-ZergGirl 102
Nina 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2044
sorry 40
910 38
Bale 22
NotJumperer 12
yabsab 12
ZergMaN 9
Icarus 6
Noble 4
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 649
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1105
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox840
Mew2King19
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor5
Other Games
summit1g7513
WinterStarcraft359
C9.Mang0259
Livibee150
Sick141
Maynarde121
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick686
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream200
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2292
League of Legends
• Stunt433
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 40m
Stellar Fest
7h 40m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.