• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:41
CEST 21:41
KST 04:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7928 users

[G] Tutorial: Creating a 3 player map

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-06 21:14:48
February 15 2011 23:06 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Requirements:

  • A map idea
  • Knowledge about the editor, because doodads sometime behave a bit quirky and "disappear"
  • Experience with a layered image editing program (GIMP or Photoshop)

Windows:

  • Photoshop with DDS Converter from Nvidia or
    GIMP with DDS plugin from http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Mac OS X:

  • GIMP with DDS plugin (http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/)

    Needs compiling on Mac OS X and a lot of libraries installed which will take a lot of time on the mac as they are not natively installed.
    I'd recommend using VirtualBox with an Ubuntu image and then install the libgimp2.0-dev package via Synaptic package manager and then compile the library — that is what I did.

    Or use a windows computer (or installation) to do it.

I WON'T help in these areas:

  • Problems compiling the GIMP plugin, i might clarify a bit however
  • Acquiring an Ubuntu image or installing GIMP or VirtualBox
  • Usage of operating systems


Creating the first concept


First of all you need to have an idea about the map you wish to make. This is even more important than when making 2 and 4 player maps, as you can always mirror or copy and paste on them.

On a 3 player map you don't have that opportunity as everything is rotated 120 degrees, which does not mesh well with the editor's limitation of rotating things a multiple of 90 degrees.
For those who have read a bit about — or attempted — to create a map which is rotated 45 degrees already know about the headaches that this limitation imposes.

So just to warn you if you do not have an idea for a map, just DON'T BOTHER STARTING with making a 3 player map unless you manage to draw something which you feel is nice.

First, what you want is a template into which you can draw your concept. This template should generally consist of at least three lines from the center of the map with an angle of 120 degrees between them. This is easily accomplished in Photoshop or GIMP using the Transform tool, as you can enter degrees into it directly.

You might also want to add center lines to the template (same lines as before, just rotated 60 degrees and in a different colour), as they will make it a lot easier to try making the concept positionally balanced.

[image loading]

HQ variant which you can download

So now we have our template, let's start drawing stuff!

Create a new layer, this is almost a must, as you want to separate the map concept from the template lines and background (because you don't want to rotate the lines, just the map concept), then you start drawing the contents of one of the 120 degree slices.

Keep in mind that you will duplicate this and rotate it, as you can't mirror the slices in a 3 player map.
Another important thing to consider is to not making the proportions too large, you can only enlarge the image to cover 140x140 approximately (I think).

[image loading]

When you think you have come a bit on the way towards something looking like a layout, copy the layer and then rotate it into the other slice. Repeat for the 3rd slice.
This to make it easier to see where you're going, repeat this as many times as necessary.

Repeat until you have something looking good!

[image loading]

Now what I have done is to colour the different height layers. I've used a translucent brush on three separate layer to achieve this effect:

[image loading]

Now we have something which is looking like a proper map concept!


What you now need to do is to cut the image into 4 pieces, one for each quadrant of the image.

These should then be saved as DDS files using BC3/DXT5 compression (that was what I used and it worked fine).
The filenames you should use are:decalhazard00_diffuse.dds, decalhazard01_diffuse.dds, decalhazard02_diffuse.dds and decalhazard03_diffuse.dds


Getting the image into the Map Editor

Now, open the map editor and create a new blank map. Do not change any terrain, if you do that the temporary doodads won't show correctly.

Import the images using the import tool and then move them to Assets\Textures:

[image loading]

Save the map in the editor and then do File->Close and then open the map again.

Open up the data editor, and go into the Models tab:

[image loading]

Search for decal, and select the Decal model. Then click on the Decal actor in the panel in the lower left of the window. Set the Art - Scale to 23 (this is apparently the largest number working for scaling doodads).

Close it and save.

Now, create 4 instances of the Decal doodad and set them to use the following variations: 15, 16, 17 and 23.

[image loading]

Now you should see parts of your map concept. If not, try changing the variations between a few different numbers, try restarting the editor, check filenames for the imported files, change scaling factor on the doodads and Art - Scale and finally try creating a new map file.

Change the scaling an positioning (300% is max scaling in the doodad window) of your doodads until they line up properly and cover the desired portion of the map.

TRY WITH MINERALS AND GAS AND SEE THAT YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE SCALE RIGHT!!!

[image loading]

Now when you have gotten the doodads into the editor, let's move onto drawing cliffs!


Tips on painting cliff levels

Start with the highest level of cliffs, as you will obscure your doodad when you raise cliffs. So do this directly with +2 levels as you don't want to mix level 2 and 3.

[image loading]

Narrow ramps (like on mains) should only be diagonal (because of sentries and wall-offs), and this will affect the balance of the map. You WILL need to tweak this a lot.

Use the building placement grid and measure distances for chokes and so on to make sure that no spawn will get an unfair advantage.

Use the map analyzer regularly when you've come so far that you can add spawns and have them connected by ramps.


Result of the example

This is a map I will probably continue and test and work on until april. Nothing is definite, and I will create a map thread for it soon, but suggestions are nevertheless welcome!

[image loading]

GOOD LUCK!
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
February 15 2011 23:09 GMT
#2
A very helpful tutorial. Definitely needs to be added to the list of useful links.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
February 15 2011 23:14 GMT
#3
Excellent guide. I know the 3 player maps aren't til April, but man, looks like it's going to be a challenge to make a good one. Thanks for this, maybe I'll try making a "test" 3 player map to try this out and see how awful my first 3 player map will turn out. (I think I'm actually starting to get a hang of 2 and 4 player maps which is nice haha)
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
February 15 2011 23:35 GMT
#4
oh nice, i did testbug placing decals one by one to do the template. This will save a lot of time. But it will be a bit tricky to get the right scale but it's better than nothing
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
Vectoor
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden62 Posts
February 15 2011 23:52 GMT
#5
Nice guide, and your map looks like it will be quite cool
PiLoKo
Profile Joined January 2011
Mexico144 Posts
February 16 2011 00:17 GMT
#6
You just blow my mind, so, I can actually draw a map in a piece of paper and import it, incredible guide, I`m very interesting in making a map for MotM4 =D
I like to troll in-game :)
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
February 16 2011 00:31 GMT
#7
Remember guys, this can be used for any map, not just 3p. You just have to change the sketch you do
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
February 16 2011 00:41 GMT
#8
The fact that you have to do this and can't just set axises and mirror in the editor makes my poor head hurt.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-16 01:29:10
February 16 2011 00:45 GMT
#9
Well you can't do this in editor because its a grid, and it wouldn't do well.

EDIT: that was terribly worded, and I apologize.

What I meant was that because its a square grid, the editor wouldn't be able to mirror 120 degree symmetry well, and would probably end up being a broken tool.

It'd be nice to have 4 way and 45 degree symmetry though.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
February 16 2011 00:47 GMT
#10
:O

You make this look easy.

Barrin, add this to your compilation immediately.
Zeon0
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria2995 Posts
February 16 2011 01:50 GMT
#11
i like the map^^
Hater of MKP since GSL Open Season 2 | Fanboy of: NesTea Stephano IdrA DIMAGA MorroW ret DongRaeGu Snute SaSe Mvp ThorZaIN DeMusliM
Silence-
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada116 Posts
February 16 2011 05:54 GMT
#12
Thx, but I can't get it to work at all. T_T All the files are named exactly like yours but when I put the doodad down, it's still just a hazard logo...
Living in the limelight, the universal dream...
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
February 16 2011 06:03 GMT
#13
On February 16 2011 09:41 sob3k wrote:
The fact that you have to do this and can't just set axises and mirror in the editor makes my poor head hurt.

Yeah.

It's a wonderful workaround... to a problem that shouldn't exist. Although I'm no pro mapmaker, I failed when trying to get it fixed.
NastyMarine
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States1252 Posts
February 16 2011 06:47 GMT
#14
wow absolutely astonishing! I didnt know you could construct a map in a template fashion. Thanks for the tutorial!
Treatin' fools since '87
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
February 16 2011 07:11 GMT
#15
Thanks!
I hope this tutorial isn't too hard to reproduce. But doodads are quirky sometimes.

On February 16 2011 14:54 Silence- wrote:
Thx, but I can't get it to work at all. T_T All the files are named exactly like yours but when I put the doodad down, it's still just a hazard logo...

Have you tried restarting the editor?
If so, do the imported files reside in the correct directory? Are the names in the correct case?
Check the preview images in the import window, are they the proper images?
Have you saved the images properly in DDS format?

For importing, I think you have to import the images, save the map, move the images and save again and finally restart the editor and load again.

If it still doesn't work, please specify what steps you have done and I'll try to reproduce it.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Silence-
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada116 Posts
February 16 2011 07:18 GMT
#16
On February 16 2011 16:11 NullCurrent wrote:
Thanks!
I hope this tutorial isn't too hard to reproduce. But doodads are quirky sometimes.

Show nested quote +
On February 16 2011 14:54 Silence- wrote:
Thx, but I can't get it to work at all. T_T All the files are named exactly like yours but when I put the doodad down, it's still just a hazard logo...

Have you tried restarting the editor?
If so, do the imported files reside in the correct directory? Are the names in the correct case?
Check the preview images in the import window, are they the proper images?
Have you saved the images properly in DDS format?

For importing, I think you have to import the images, save the map, move the images and save again and finally restart the editor and load again.

If it still doesn't work, please specify what steps you have done and I'll try to reproduce it.


Okay, I realized I missed a step (moving the files to Assets>Textures). However, whenever I try to move them (Move files...) it gives me 2 options. One is to move to an existing path, which has a drop down menu, but only has one option, which is "(Root)", and the other option is New Path... Not exactly sure what to do. I'm kind of bad with computers
Living in the limelight, the universal dream...
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
February 16 2011 07:27 GMT
#17
Very Interesting. Might try it for future maps. Currently I have painted the the border of the layout in the Editor with textures.

I see one problem with your method: Scale. You can easily be completly off with your drawings. Also some things you thought you could draw dont work out the way you would have liked.

But its a real help. Thanks for sharing!
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-16 13:17:47
February 16 2011 07:38 GMT
#18
On February 16 2011 16:27 Madsquare wrote:
Very Interesting. Might try it for future maps. Currently I have painted the the border of the layout in the Editor with textures.

I see one problem with your method: Scale. You can easily be completly off with your drawings. Also some things you thought you could draw dont work out the way you would have liked.

But its a real help. Thanks for sharing!


Yeah, scale is a bit hard - I was very lucky, I nailed it on the first try!
But as I mentioned, one image fully scaled covers a fourth of a 144x144 map bounds. Hence the usage of four doodads as you can't scale them more.

Just use more image parts for larger maps, but then you have to find the texture file names of other decals.

On February 16 2011 16:18 Silence- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2011 16:11 NullCurrent wrote:
Thanks!
I hope this tutorial isn't too hard to reproduce. But doodads are quirky sometimes.

On February 16 2011 14:54 Silence- wrote:
Thx, but I can't get it to work at all. T_T All the files are named exactly like yours but when I put the doodad down, it's still just a hazard logo...

Have you tried restarting the editor?
If so, do the imported files reside in the correct directory? Are the names in the correct case?
Check the preview images in the import window, are they the proper images?
Have you saved the images properly in DDS format?

For importing, I think you have to import the images, save the map, move the images and save again and finally restart the editor and load again.

If it still doesn't work, please specify what steps you have done and I'll try to reproduce it.


Okay, I realized I missed a step (moving the files to Assets>Textures). However, whenever I try to move them (Move files...) it gives me 2 options. One is to move to an existing path, which has a drop down menu, but only has one option, which is "(Root)", and the other option is New Path... Not exactly sure what to do. I'm kind of bad with computers

You should have a textbox option too, and just write "Assets\Textures" (without quotes) in it.
Don't forget to restart the editor after you've moved the files.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Silence-
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada116 Posts
February 16 2011 08:30 GMT
#19
Thx man! =D
Living in the limelight, the universal dream...
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
February 16 2011 08:55 GMT
#20
This is so badass. I really like the picture "Tips on painting cliff levels" because it has SC2 cliffs and your drawing in one image.

An idea has taken shape! Hehe.
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 170
ProTech148
JuggernautJason71
CosmosSc2 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 748
White-Ra 166
Dewaltoss 95
Hyuk 87
firebathero 74
Trap 50
Sacsri 26
Bale 18
Dota 2
Gorgc8812
qojqva1404
Counter-Strike
fl0m1563
Fnx 797
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3525
crisheroes1165
Khaldor1133
Liquid`Hasu543
Other Games
summit1g5601
FrodaN1820
XBOCT269
ArmadaUGS159
C9.Mang0156
QueenE75
shahzam1
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH357
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie805
• Shiphtur315
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 20m
CranKy Ducklings
14h 20m
Online Event
15h 20m
FEL
20h 20m
AI Arena Tournament
21h 20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.